#101 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostVanillaG, on 18 May 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

I have found a quote that should clear up who was responsible for how the battle was conducted.

Lost Destiny, Chapter 42

As you can see, Ulric did not have much operational control over what the individual clans did in the battle. Even when he tried to give strategic advice for the Smoke Jaguars to retreat, half of the force disobeyed him. The only reason that he gave that order was because both Khans were thought to be dead and any further fighting would be a waste because the SJ forces would not be coordinated.

As to your assertion that some of the cities were unimportant, in the trial each city had the exact same level of importance. The only value placed on the individual cities was how much glory could be attained by capturing them. The actual sound tactical decision would be shift the forces from harder targets to easier targets increase the chances of securing the necessary 7 cites to achieve the victory. But all of that thinking is for naught because Ulric really did not have the power to dictate to the Khans where they should attack as that had already been decided.

You know I have used that quote (well most of it) MANY TIMES, to prove why the Clans were written the way that they were.

Not much I can add to that except:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 18 May 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#102 General Pete

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 123 posts
  • Locationny usa

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

The way I see it, in order to get ready for Tukayyid, PGI is going to have to figure out the Thorn, Mercury, Mongoose, Hussar, Sentinel, Wyvern, Crab, Champion, Lancelot, Bombadier, Exterminator, Guillotine, Black Knight, Flashman, Thug, Crockett/katana (though it's really the Crockett at Tukayyid), and of course the King Crab for MWO.

And you know what would be nice? A map editor. Make that river Aiden Pryde had to cross... sorry if I'm getting close to daydreaming my way off topic...

#103 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostGeneral Pete, on 18 May 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

The way I see it, in order to get ready for Tukayyid, PGI is going to have to figure out the Thorn, Mercury, Mongoose, Hussar, Sentinel, Wyvern, Crab, Champion, Lancelot, Bombadier, Exterminator, Guillotine, Black Knight, Flashman, Thug, Crockett/katana (though it's really the Crockett at Tukayyid), and of course the King Crab for MWO.

And you know what would be nice? A map editor. Make that river Aiden Pryde had to cross... sorry if I'm getting close to daydreaming my way off topic...

And mix-tech. (Champion C is BEST Champion.) :)

#104 ErikModi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostGeneral Pete, on 18 May 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

Thanks, ErikModi! I pretty much agree with your post, my only comments are my opinions on motives and practical use of definitions.
As for motives, you're right Ulric couldn't 'feed the invasion force to the meat grinder', but that's where my comment on reverse psychology comes in- there's nothing saying he had to keep the clans from voluntarily (even spitefully) walking into one. Basically I am saying he played a subtler game than the others around him were able to recognize and got his way through subtle manipulation. For example, let's say you're Ulric- you know the smoke jags and the nova cats hate each other's guts real bad. So... pair them together, make them work together, on your own authority? Why do that? It looks like you're punishing both Clans and trying to stick it to them. What friend, what political capital, do you get doing a thing like that? None, but you make sure they both hate you more and are less likely to do what you want later on, like give you complete command at a thing like Tukkayid, or even pull out and retreat when you suggest it. That could goad them into staying to fight- and that's just what the smokes did, wasn't it? Age and treachery will always beat youth and enthusiasm, and Ulric is good proof.

As for practical definitions, this is more a question I have than a statement. Was what happened to the Wolverine clan a trial? Sure it's what the Clans call a trial, but a whole clan wiped out... looks more on a scale of a war to me.
Or Operation Bulldog/Serpent. You can call that a trial of refusal, but... damn, that was an operation as big as the IS has ever seen. How about after that, where the Star Adders are working to wipe out the Blood Spirits. Yes, it's a 'Trial of Absorption', but planet-wide fighting? I read in the Crusader Clan sourcebook that the Blood Spirits ignore zellbrigin completely when defending their homeworld, and they pride themselves on being the most 'clan-like' clan...My question is, when do you call a spade a spade and not a trial?

Well, true enough. Ulric was certainly not interested in the other Clans liking him, since they didn't already and probably wouldn't no matter what he did. I don't think he was outright planning to "reverse psychology" them into the Tukayyid meat grinder from day one, though when the opportunity arose, he certainly took advantage of it. I think that, at the beginning, his assignment of rival Clans to the same invasion corridors was to hamper their efforts and give the Wolves an easier push towards Terra. I don't think Ulric had a plan to stop the invasion, the best he was hoping for was to make his Clan the ilClan and parlay that influence into the re-ascension of Warden philosophy. However, when Tukayyid was in the offing, Ulric realized it was a chance to not only stall the invasion, but to demonstrate to the other Clans what the real price of their invasion would be, on themselves and the Inner Sphere they were supposed to be "bettering." But even Ulric Kerensky wasn't fully prepared for the true horror of all-out war. This is pretty clear in that closing exchange between him and Anastasius Focht, where they are both stunned by how much the battle consumed, not only in equipment and materiel but lives. Ulric knew there was a harsher reality to war than the Clans as a whole were willing to believe, but even he was rocked by visualization of it.

As for larger-scale Trials. . . well, there you indeed have a point. The Annhilation of Clan Wolverine was a long time ago, though, before the Clans really forgot what "war" really means. Trials of Absorption are somewhat different, as the only legitimate targets are still other warriors, and the outcome is determined by who wins a stand-up battle, not who must successfully destroys his opponent's capacity to wage war. After all, if you eliminate everything that lets the Clan you're trying to absorb function, what's left for you to absorb? The point i'm trying to get at here is, even in an all-out Trial, the fighting itself is still contained and ritualized (zellbrigen or no.) If my Clan Prancing Samoyed wants to absorb your Clan Fuzzy Lemur, I don't have to physically take every single one of your "civillians" and forcibly put them in Prancing Samoyed uniforms. My warriors fight a battle against your warriors, and if my warriors win, your personnel come over to my side. While the battles will certainly be more hard-fought, they are still ultimately only contests between warriors. Once the Trial is over, your Fuzzy Lemur Clansmen are now Prancing Samoyed Clansmen, loyal to their new Clan. No guerrilla warfare, no sabotage, no attempts to bring Prancing Samoyed down from within in revenge. It's still a far cry from actual warfare, where people defending their homes will give their lives en masse to stop the invading army, even after all reason says the invaders have won.

This is due in part to how Clan society is structured. Everything is differed to the Clan. All sense of loyalty, honor, and home comes from Clan identity. To rebel against a Clan that has successfully Absorbed yours would be to dishonor the bonds of loyalty to both your new Clan, who provides everything you need (and nothing you don't), and your old Clan, which lives on in your new Clan.

As for Operation Bulldog and Serpent, pretty much the whole point was demonstrate to the Clans that messing with the Inner Sphere would be way more costly than they were prepared to pay. Not only retaking worlds the Clans had taken in the invasion, but choosing to Annhilate Clan Smoke Jaguar was all intended to send the message to the Clans that the Successor States were not going to go down quietly, that they had the will and the means to fight the Clans with everything they had, and that, if nothing else, they would inflict catastrophic damage on the Clans on their way out. To use your bully analogy, it was turning around and giving the bully a solid sock on the jaw. Loosen a few teeth, split a lip, maybe even break a nose, and you let that bully know that you will not make of yourself easy prey. The bully then has two choices: keep fighting and risk getting hurt, or back down. Operations Bulldog and Serpent were not battles of the Clans' choosing, so they didn't follow the Clans' Trial structure, which was again part of the point. To illustrate to the Clans what warfare really was to the Inner Sphere, and what kind of warfare the Clans would have to fight if they wanted to see their invasion through to the end, and ask if they were really ready to take that on.

They were not.

#105 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostNathan K, on 18 May 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

And mix-tech. (Champion C is BEST Champion.) :)

Negative, mixed-tech would break this game.

#106 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:09 AM

Its like seeing ghosts from the past, this is exactly like the last topic. Hope it ends the same way... No offense Craig, but reading something and understanding it are two things one has to master to interpret, I fear you may have issues with one of those things. Still, it is nice to read responses because it reminds me of all the books and sources I have yet to read.

#107 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostGeneral Pete, on 18 May 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

While i would like to see a Clan Buster Package...i had giggle really really mad....
Aidan Pryde and his Sparrowguard would have drown in the Przeno when using MWO JumpJets....(not they would even be able to climb the walls, the Warhawk for those Freebirth Diana would only have 2 JJs....not for what 12m (distance)
The river is described as > 240m wide - all the guards have to do...form up the ridge and fire into the river...like dynamite fishing :)

The only problem i have with Tukayyid Source Book as well as with the novel about this conflicts. They are biased.
The Jade Falcons may did a draw because Robert Thurston did wrote a novel about it?
The Wolfs, of course, did win.
If Stackpole would have been a fan of the Jaguars they would have savaged even 2 armies in the beginning. :(

Although there was a huge scenario about Tukayyid i don't know if this happens before the writing of the Source Book or after. (sometimes even a novel is created by fighting on the table > Isle of the Blessed)

Edited by Karl Streiger, 19 May 2014 - 01:33 AM.

#108 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:48 AM

View PostErikModi, on 18 May 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

The thing is though, they resort to total warfare but call us "barbarians"? They proved their moral decay & enhanced the Crusaders' stance.

Also if Bulldog & Serpent were about not fighting on Clan terms & showing what real warfare was, not caring about Clan beliefs or customs why did Victor order his troops not to touch the genetic repository on Huntress? I do not have the novel here with me right now but he said something to the tune of "the Clans are touchy about that stuff".

To the Clans it would be like killing innocent children, because it is the future of a Clan but in reality it is just a building with genetic samples. No IS warrior would feel guilty about that.

You know why they did not dare touch it? If they did, they knew they would bring down the wrath of all the Clans. The Clans would throw zellbrigen to the wind wholeheartedly, the ilKhan would probably have been forced to activate every single Clan & actually try to take the entire Inner Sphere. Clan warriors would no longer care about isorla or glory. One of the sourcebooks (either Jade Falcon or Wolf IIRC) says Revival was a mission of salvation not destruction. That would have changed. The possession of Terra would no longer be the prime objective, but the total destruction of the Inner Sphere for daring to destroy such a holy place. It would have turned into a Trial of Annihilation.

So even when they tried to show the Clans the true horror of war, they really did not, did they? For all that posturing & saber rattling they knew damn well to keep themselves in check.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 19 May 2014 - 01:49 AM.

#109 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:07 AM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 19 May 2014 - 01:48 AM, said:

So even when they tried to show the Clans the true horror of war, they really did not, did they? For all that posturing & saber rattling they knew damn well to keep themselves in check.

QFT

When you want to see what total war vs a Clan means look into the FM 3145. Or the Fights between the wars of Domninion vs Kombine. Not to mention the Holy War.
Victor as usually only played war and other payed the price

#110 General Pete

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 123 posts
  • Locationny usa

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:10 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 19 May 2014 - 02:07 AM, said:

QFT

When you want to see what total war vs a Clan means look into the FM 3145. Or the Fights between the wars of Domninion vs Kombine. Not to mention the Holy War.
Victor as usually only played war and other payed the price

Perhaps that's because Victor and the IS leaders were trying to act as adults, trying to teach children a lesson to help them grow up... although if they did destroy the jag genetic repository, I think Jaroth is right about what the Clans' response would have been.

Edited by General Pete, 19 May 2014 - 03:11 AM.

#111 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:14 AM

View PostGeneral Pete, on 19 May 2014 - 03:10 AM, said:

Perhaps that's because Victor and the IS leaders were trying to act as adults, trying to teach children a lesson to help them grow up... although if they did destroy the jag genetic repository, I think Jaroth is right about what the Clans' response would have been.

When you see the wars with Clans after 3060 - you realize that their lesson wasn't a good one.
Anyhow the IS with its combined might would never stand a chance vs the clans.... although it depends on the "secret" of WoB - and how far this program has shown results in 3061

(not to mention that a huge part of the Blake Guards were survivors of Tukayyid.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 19 May 2014 - 03:15 AM.

#112 General Pete

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 123 posts
  • Locationny usa

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:25 AM

Lol, it ocurrs to me that if the Clans had learned their lesson properly and peace reigned, it would make for a poor franchise.

#113 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:57 AM

View PostGeneral Pete, on 19 May 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

Lol, it ocurrs to me that if the Clans had learned their lesson properly and peace reigned, it would make for a poor franchise.

Oh - Victor was the first battletech troll -he did teach the Clans a lesson (not) - and because war is so bad he did started another one - given the Clans all reason to negate his "Test"

Sry for Off Topic.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 19 May 2014 - 03:57 AM.

#114 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:08 AM

View PostGeneral Pete, on 19 May 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

The same could be said if the Clans had won. I believe that is why they were written the way they were.

#115 ErikModi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 19 May 2014 - 01:48 AM, said:

The thing is though, they resort to total warfare but call us "barbarians"? They proved their moral decay & enhanced the Crusaders' stance.

Also if Bulldog & Serpent were about not fighting on Clan terms & showing what real warfare was, not caring about Clan beliefs or customs why did Victor order his troops not to touch the genetic repository on Huntress? I do not have the novel here with me right now but he said something to the tune of "the Clans are touchy about that stuff".

To the Clans it would be like killing innocent children, because it is the future of a Clan but in reality it is just a building with genetic samples. No IS warrior would feel guilty about that.

You know why they did not dare touch it? If they did, they knew they would bring down the wrath of all the Clans. The Clans would throw zellbrigen to the wind wholeheartedly, the ilKhan would probably have been forced to activate every single Clan & actually try to take the entire Inner Sphere. Clan warriors would no longer care about isorla or glory. One of the sourcebooks (either Jade Falcon or Wolf IIRC) says Revival was a mission of salvation not destruction. That would have changed. The possession of Terra would no longer be the prime objective, but the total destruction of the Inner Sphere for daring to destroy such a holy place. It would have turned into a Trial of Annihilation.

I haven't actually read all of Twilight of the Clans yet (I've taken several runs at it, but lately several of my books in that series have gone missing), and the only two I've read recently were Exodus Road and The Hunters, so I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics. I do seem to recall, though, that the big deal was to demonstrate to the Clans how the Inner Sphere would fight a total war, and that this would be a lot messier than their sanitized Trials.

However, "total war" is not, and should not, be "wholesale slaughter." Innocents do get caught in the crossfire, and that's unfortunate, but in total war anything military is a viable target. The Smoke Jaguar genetic repository is not a military target (though I do seem to recall hearing about some debate on that very subject, some saying that if they really were going to annhilate the Smoke Jaguars that includes their legacy, others saying that it's tantamount to murdering children because they might grow up into enemy soldiers and is an atrocity.) There's a difference between "showing the true brutality of war" and "being overly brutal," and I agree that destroying the Jags genetics would have crossed that line, and would have provoked the Clans into a blood frenzy.

#116 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

It was & it was not, they did not destroy it but they posted guards. Remember their aim was to destroy the Jaguars ability to make war. The genetic repository IS a Clan's ability to make war.

#117 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

Damn, posted this in the wrong threat yesterday.

Any who, here it is.

False Canon:

View PostCraig Steele, on 14 May 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

In coming days the fighting would rage fiercely with much of the action focused on the Wolf Spiders central position. Eventually Clan Wolf threatened the encirclement of Skupo and rather than risk the destruction of many Comguard forces, Skupo was evacuated and Clan Wolf moved in.

Fighting now moved to the city of Brzo and Comguards 11th Army (from the Jade Falcon zone) was dispatched to reinforce the 9th and 10th, however it would arrive too late to halt the fall of the city to Clan Wolf.

Regrouping in the mountains, both sides prepared for the inevitable counter attack. Striking first Clan Wolf threw itself into the Comguard forces in a battle that was noted as "...what little ground was taken was won at a heavy price, Khan Garth Raddick was slain commanding Beta Galaxy" (pg 51 CWSB).

As Clan Wolf struggled in the mountains with the Comguard armies, the 13th Army was thrown together to join the fray. Before it could be committed to the battle, Focht and Ulric called an end to hostilities and the battle for Tukayyid was over.

True Canon:

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 14 March 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

OK anyone arguing FOR the superiority of Clan Wolf, here is your trump card:

Posted Image

As a Loremaster my task is not to pick sides but to present the facts as they are & argue as objectively as possible. Read to your hearts content & draw your own conclusions. Again, I apologize if I have misled anyone with my earlier posts.

"Stinson launched an all-out assault against Beta Galaxy in the Pozoristu Mountains, killing senior Khan Garth Radick. Despite this blow to Wolf morale, the Com Guards could not stop Clan forces form taking Brzo."

You have been warned... :)

Edited by Nathan K, 19 May 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#118 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

View PostNathan K, on 19 May 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

True Canon:

There is no True Canon - the Historical Event of the Tukayyid Battle was written by ComStar. While they seem to look objective they aren't. Of course they aren't because winners write history.
Its obvious that Kerensky and Focht work together for a defeat of the clans.
a good example is the fight of the Smoke Jaguars.
When they did broke through - and were about to take out Fochsts bunker - they were forced to withdraw - by Kerensky.
They still had the power and the savage to cripple even the next line of defenders - maybe also get an idea why their 122th Strike Cluster wasn't reporting.

Anyhow, the battle reports of Tukayyid reads like a average PUG game in MWO. With a premade team on one side and random players on the other.
Because Clan 1 turned back - the remaining troops could be used against clan 2...and so on and on.

#119 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 19 May 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

There is no True Canon - the Historical Event of the Tukayyid Battle was written by ComStar. While they seem to look objective they aren't. Of course they aren't because winners write history.

Actually it was written predominately third person by a bunch of pulp-fiction authors who were clearly not always on the same page with the game developers/IP owners but were pushing a looong line of books and a storyline. I say this not to be a troll, but saying something like Comstar wrote the history is farsical. The novels were written from the perspective of a fly on the wall and often inside the heads of the characters. That's not a history, it's fiction. There's reason the character of Victor, with his many flaws, was still written as the protagonist most of the time.

The "good guys" are pretty clearly written of, even the sociopathic Joanna Pryde types. It's a story.

#120 ErikModi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Its obvious that Kerensky and Focht work together for a defeat of the clans.

Uh, no. That's actually, factually false. While the subtext of Ulric and Focht's conversations are certainly open to interpretation, there was no collusion or collaboration between the two of them. They may have been manipulating each other to achieve their own ends (Focht to keep the Inner Sphere in general, and Terra in particular, from being conquered by the Clans, Ulric to stop the Crusader agenda cold in its tracks), but neither of them were working with the other for this case.

a good example is the fight of the Smoke Jaguars. When they did broke through - and were about to take out Fochsts bunker - they were forced to withdraw - by Kerensky.
They still had the power and the savage to cripple even the next line of defenders - maybe also get an idea why their 122th Strike Cluster wasn't reporting.

That's one way to look at it. It's wrong, but that's one way to look at it. Both of the Smoke Jaguar Khans had been killed (presumably, Licoln Osis turned up alive months later) in action, and as ilKhan, Ulric deemed the fight now unwinnable, since the Jags had no leadership to co-ordinate the battle. The Jags who ignored his order and fought on? Eradicated to the man. As for the assault on Focht's command bunker? The Jags had absolutely no idea what it even was, just that it was a ComGuard installation and they were trying to destroy it. Focht had no communication with Ulric, and certainly didn't arrange for Kerensky to pull the Smoke Jaguars back from the cusp of victory. The Jaguars had already been defeated, all Ulric was trying to do was keep them from being obliterated. Even so, after Tukayyid, the Smoke Jaguars never recovered, and were eventually Annhilated by Task Force Serpent. They were nowhere near close to victory on Tukayyid, and Ulric did not rob them of anything, except potentially more dead warriors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users