41 replies to this topic

#1 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:35 AM

Hi All

I find that I always get confused between the left and right sides of my target because in my mind I look at the paper doll literally i.e when you look at a target face on, what you see from your perspective as being on the right is actually the left hand side of your target and vice versa.

On the paper doll the right side is on the right of your vision and while this is ok to me for the rear armour, it confuses me greatly when I look at the front armour. Does anyone else have the same problem as me and would anyone else welcome an option to switch image too?

#2 Dyson Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia, Australia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:14 AM

Actually, the paperdoll for your 'Mech is shown as if you were looking from behind your 'Mech (your left is on the left and right is on the right).

The paperdoll for the 'Mech you have targeted is shown as if you were facing that 'Mechs front (it's left is on the right and it's right is on the left).

#3 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:29 AM

Something like this would always be a nice alternative :lol:

Posted Image

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 16 May 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

Posted Image

Yes! I really liked using that in Mechwarrior 4 as well, since its much easier to tell the amount instead of just by color gradients.

As for the OP suggestion (which BTW should be in the Feature Suggestion forum), I would also like to have the option to be able to flip my Target's paper doll. I want R to be on the Right and L to be on the Left, I'm smart enough to figure out for myself which side is which when they are facing me.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 16 May 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#5 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:07 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 16 May 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

Posted Image

PGI, give us this! Please, why do we not have this as an option!?

Edited by EyeOne, 16 May 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#6 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

I support being able to toggle options and customize the HUD a bit.

But tell that to the UI2.0 sound clicky noise, a toggle switch would be nice.

I'm not holding my breath.

#7 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

It's kind of odd, but I have absolutely no problem keeping the orientation correct when I'm looking at the enemy paper doll EXCEPT when a mech is legged, it always seems to take me an extra second to think about which leg to take out.

#8 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostFaith McCarron, on 16 May 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

It's kind of odd, but I have absolutely no problem keeping the orientation correct when I'm looking at the enemy paper doll EXCEPT when a mech is legged, it always seems to take me an extra second to think about which leg to take out.

Haha yeah me too. I've pondered this for a bit, and I think the reason why is because it takes you more than one spatial translation to arrive at the correct decision. Maybe I'm wrong but hear this bit of logic:

When the enemy target paper doll is R on visual Left and L on visual Right (as it is currently)
  • See enemy paper doll has weakened armor on visual left leg.
  • Thats not the left leg, because R is on left side.
  • Shoot the leg on the left.
  • Unless they are not facing you, in which case shoot the right.
  • But when I'm on the left side of the mech, not directly in front or behind, is that the leg facing me
  • That's the left leg.
  • No its the right leg opposite me.
  • Brain explodes. (ok this doesn't really happen, but can lead to drinking more alcohol)

IF the option were there, for the enemy target paper doll to be L on visual Left and R on visual Right:
  • See enemy paper doll has weakened armor on visual left leg.
  • Shoot the left leg
  • Unless they are facing you, in which case its left is on the right.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 16 May 2014 - 06:52 AM.

#9 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

I agree all too much. Yes I am use to how it works currently and get by just fine. Though like others are saying it takes that extra second to realize that its actually flipped. I've always wanted R=R of the L=L on the paper doll

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 16 May 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

Maybe once they get the cockpit screens to work :lol:

#11 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

Yep, this gets me confused sometimes too, would be nice to have an option to change it.

#12 l33tworks

• 1,275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

View PostDyson Ring, on 16 May 2014 - 05:14 AM, said:

Actually, the paperdoll for your 'Mech is shown as if you were looking from behind your 'Mech (your left is on the left and right is on the right).

The paperdoll for the 'Mech you have targeted is shown as if you were facing that 'Mechs front (it's left is on the right and it's right is on the left).

This is the most confusing and dumbest idea ever. No wonder I can never shoot the correct leg when one is gone and a mech is limping, especially in the heat of the moment.

The paper doll showing the front damage should be based on a frontal perspective. So the arm on the left of your screen is the right arm on the mech. The paper doll showing the back should be the arm on the left of your screen is the left arm. THIS SHOULD BE THE SAME FOR THE ENEMY MECH PAPER DOLL. The fact that your mech paper doll and the enemy mech paper doll are different is even crazier. Who comes up with this system and more importantly what were they thinking?

When you need a front left headlight for your car you don't say "I need a front right headlight" because looking at it from the front its on the right side. Looking at the back of the car when you need a left side tail light you say left rear tailight. Also when you see another car you don't say the drivers are driving on the different side of the car to you just because they are not you. WTF?

#13 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

View Postl33tworks, on 17 June 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

Who comes up with this system and more importantly what were they thinking?

Um... that when you're piloting a mech, you tend to be facing the front, so the paper doll would orient that way. And that, when fighting another mech, you tend to most often be generally facing each other, so the paper doll roughly translates to how you'd be looking at the target. To do it the other way would mean that if you were facing a mech (and vice versa) and shot at one side, the opposite side would flash on the paper doll, from your perspective.

#14 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

didnt know this many people couldnt tell left from right...

rather than changing the system that everybody is used to, which would be incredibly stupid, what about adding a new module that lets you highlight individual components? you could use the numpad keys to select components (numpad 5 = center torso, numpad 1 = left leg, numpad 6 = right torso, numpad 8 = head, etc...)

So if you see an enemy left leg is damaged on the ragdoll, and cant tell your left from your right, all you have to do is equip your special ed module and press numpad 1 and the game will show you which leg is the left leg.

Also a proper leg destruction animation would help. So if one leg is destroyed you can tell its destroyed just by looking at it. Even mechwarrior 3 had better destroyed leg animations...

Edited by Khobai, 17 June 2014 - 06:00 AM.

#15 l33tworks

• 1,275 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 17 June 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

Um... that when you're piloting a mech, you tend to be facing the front, so the paper doll would orient that way. And that, when fighting another mech, you tend to most often be generally facing each other, so the paper doll roughly translates to how you'd be looking at the target. To do it the other way would mean that if you were facing a mech (and vice versa) and shot at one side, the opposite side would flash on the paper doll, from your perspective.

The paper doll is meant to be a scale representation of a full sized mech. Which way you are "Generally" facing or which way the enemy is "Generally" facing should have nothing to do with that.

Thats the whole point of maps and scale models, they are meant to reflect their real world counterparts. Anything else is hurr durr and there should be option to set it that way for people that try to make sense of the world around them.

Posted Image

Nobody in their right mind uses any other system. Its been that way since people started drawing pictures in the dirt.

Posted Image

What do you think means what?

Edited by l33tworks, 17 June 2014 - 06:01 AM.

#16 VeryVizzy

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

It would be trivial to simply add two new options, orientation of your own paperdoll and orientation of your target's. With two choices each, 'left to right' or 'right to left'.

It would require no new art, a minimum amount of coding and would appease everyone. I can't see why this isn't in the game already.

#17 l33tworks

• 1,275 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

View PostVeryVizzy, on 17 June 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

It would be trivial to simply add two new options, orientation of your own paperdoll and orientation of your target's. With two choices each, 'left to right' or 'right to left'.

It would require no new art, a minimum amount of coding and would appease everyone. I can't see why this isn't in the game already.

Because PGI will claim it will cost $250,000 to make a paper doll reversal option. That's what they supposeldy claimed it costs them to make one map.

Edited by l33tworks, 17 June 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#18 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 16 May 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

I actually like the paperdoll, however, I am quoting you because of your signature. I'd like a 3D paperdoll presentation of the enemy mech that rotates based on my perspective of it. If I'm looking at the front, then I see the front, if i'm looking at the back, then it rotates so I see the back on the paperdoll.

Edited by cdlord, 17 June 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#19 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

Sometimes I get confused when Im trying to leg a mech from behind, so i pay attention to where damage is regstering on the enemy target info and switch legs if need be. Sometimes I feel like a Noob in these circumstances lol.

#20 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

Glad to see I'm not alone in struggling with this at times.

While it would be very nice if the paper doll of the target mech actually switched (hell if we are dreaming, lets ask for it to rotate) to adjust for whether you are facing the mech or behind it, for me the simplest solution would be if the mech modelpaper doll had a big "R" on its actual RIGHT leg, and a big "L" on it's actual left leg.

Somehow that simple little variation in appearance would be enough that my misfiring neurons could cope.

Edited by TLBFestus, 17 June 2014 - 07:25 AM.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users