Which Gaming Laptop?

36 replies to this topic

#1 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

I would like to buy a new gaming laptop becuase my current is more than 3 years old and i have to run the game on low settings to get 20-30 fps. Which gaming laptop would you recomend me? Max price is 1500 EUR.

Edited by ENS Puskin, 10 June 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#2 tankhare

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

Want my honest advice Davion to Davion? None. Laptops are ridiculously expensive and cost up to four or more times more than gaming pcs, coupled with problems down the line and crappy customer support. You lose portability but its better investing in a rig. Now moving on from that, still not a laptop either. This is going to sound weird but if you can find a Razer Edge Pro it's probably a better alternative and you'll definitely not reach your price range. It runs intense games very well, is portable, very light, has a decent screen, hdmi port, and is definitely awesome to use for multiple purposes (bringing that thing to class to write notes while playing battlefield 4 when there's nothing going on is the funniest thing ever).

#3 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

View PostBurningBread, on 20 May 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

Want my honest advice Davion to Davion? None. Laptops are ridiculously expensive and cost up to four or more times more than gaming pcs, coupled with problems down the line and crappy customer support. You lose portability but its better investing in a rig. Now moving on from that, still not a laptop either. This is going to sound weird but if you can find a Razer Edge Pro it's probably a better alternative and you'll definitely not reach your price range. It runs intense games very well, is portable, very light, has a decent screen, hdmi port, and is definitely awesome to use for multiple purposes (bringing that thing to class to write notes while playing battlefield 4 when there's nothing going on is the funniest thing ever).

Yeah i know that i could get a gaming desktop and save some money from my budget but i need the mobility. I will take a look on that Razer. Thanks for the feedback!

#4 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Well, let me see what's available.

http://www.sagernote...del_name=NP9570

The undisputed king of portable computers.

http://usgaming.msi....GT70-Dominator/

Pretty good, but why buy MSI when there's a sager alternative?

Both available for a 'mere' 4000 US dollars.

But seriously, don't buy laptops now. Wait until summer. I've already seen a million people all over complain that they bought 3600+ systems between december and january and are stuck with their already obsolete 760Ms.

My personal laptop is a 650 dollar acer aspire, with a silly 4 gig VRM GT 730M. For 1500 eurodollars, you could have a tech upgrade acer with GTX 760M, 16 gigs of RAM, and two SSDs. Hardly that great for gaming, but it is what it is.

http://www.sagernote...l_name=NP8258-S

I dug aroud and found the above beast that has some heavily discounted promos going on. This is as cheap as it's gonna get for a real gaming laptop.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 20 May 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#5 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

No way dude! Razer Edge Pro sucks!

#6 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

As mentioned by BurningBread, getting a rig is far better $ for $. Another issue with gaming laptops is their internal cooling, or lacking there of. Your components lifespan is going to be severely slashed due to the sheer amount of heat they'll endure throughout its lifetime. I would just slowly pickup items here and there when you see them go on sale for a desktop and go from there.

And I DEFINITELY recommend future proofing, especially if you plan on doing gaming outside of MW:O. With Unreal Engine 4, and a host of new engines and games utilizing those engines coming this fall, and next year, it's best to prep your machine accordingly.

Edited by Todd Lightbringer, 20 May 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#7 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 May 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

Well, let me see what's available.

http://www.sagernote...del_name=NP9570

The undisputed king of portable computers.

http://usgaming.msi....GT70-Dominator/

Pretty good, but why buy MSI when there's a sager alternative?

Both available for a 'mere' 4000 US dollars.

But seriously, don't buy laptops now. Wait until summer. I've already seen a million people all over complain that they bought 3600+ systems between december and january and are stuck with their already obsolete 760Ms.

My personal laptop is a 650 dollar acer aspire, with a silly 4 gig VRM GT 730M. For 1500 eurodollars, you could have a tech upgrade acer with GTX 760M, 16 gigs of RAM, and two SSDs. Hardly that great for gaming, but it is what it is.

Yeah i was thinking about MSI GT70 Dominator or something similar. I need the mobility so i prefer laptop and i need new becuase i would like to enjoy new games on full or high settings.

#8 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostTodd Lightbringer, on 20 May 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

As mentioned by BurningBread, getting a rig is far better $ for $. Another issue with gaming laptops is their internal cooling, or lacking there of. Your components lifespan is going to be severely slashed due to the sheer amount of heat they'll endure throughout its lifetime. I would just slowly pickup items here and there when you see them go on sale for a desktop and go from there.

And I DEFINITELY recommend future proofing, especially if you plan on doing gaming outside of MW:O. With Unreal Engine 4, and a host of new engines and games utilizing those engines coming this fall, and next year, it's best to prep your machine accordingly.

Unfortunately i am moving from 1 place to another so i need laptop.

Edited by ENS Puskin, 20 May 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#9 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostENS Puskin, on 20 May 2014 - 07:13 PM, said:

Yeah i was thinking about MSI GT70 Dominator or something similar. I need the mobility so i prefer laptop and i need new becuase i would like to enjoy new games on full or high settings.

See if you can make that fit into your budget. It's as cheap as it's gonna get for a real laptop right now.

I recommend going for 32 gigs of RAM.

#10 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for your feedback but it is very late, see you later.

#11 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

View PostENS Puskin, on 20 May 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

Unfortunately i am moving from 1 place to another so i need laptop.

Well the avg. gaming laptop is going to weigh a good 10-15 pounds, with the battery plugged in of course, cut that down to 8-12 without. Regardless, if you HAVE to get one, definitely make sure you equip yourself with some REALLY good external cooling equipment to keep that sucker from frying an egg.

#12 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostTodd Lightbringer, on 20 May 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

Well the avg. gaming laptop is going to weigh a good 10-15 pounds, with the battery plugged in of course, cut that down to 8-12 without. Regardless, if you HAVE to get one, definitely make sure you equip yourself with some REALLY good external cooling equipment to keep that sucker from frying an egg.

Nah, fat tops are only about 8 pounds, and those are the brick-like MSIs. Also, actual laptops don't have cooling problems. You're thinking of alienware, which are not real laptops, but marketed and priced as such, while sporting terrible cooling.

#13 Knightwolf47

Rookie

• The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hey boys, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. May be a bit late but hopefully it will help. There is actually a website called Game Debate which will tell you if your computer can run a particular game:

http://www.game-debate.com/

When I first started playing Mechwarrior Online, I was in the need for a new laptop for school, so I decided to splurge & get something which could at least play MWO. I originally looked at an ASUS laptop (whose name/designation escapes me at the moment) which had the NVIDIA 660M graphics processor which could run MWO, along with an i7 core processor and 8 GB of RAM. My only complaint about it was the size, since it had a 17 inch screen. I wound up settling on the Lenovo Idea Pad, which had the same graphics chip and . It can actually run Mechwarrior and Titanfall for decent lengths of time, but Elder Scrolls cause it to heat up and start acting funky fairly quickly.

I paid about 1300 USD for my Lenovo, but it was discounted from the manufacturers' website. If you're not in a hurry, I'd say check out the major manufactures and look for a sale to help you stay in your budget.

Good luck with your search!

#14 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:31 AM

View PostTodd Lightbringer, on 20 May 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

Yeah if i buy new laptop i will buy also external cooling device.

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 May 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

See if you can make that fit into your budget. It's as cheap as it's gonna get for a real laptop right now.

I recommend going for 32 gigs of RAM.

I can not find this brand in online local stores, i think it is not available in my country.

#15 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:36 AM

View PostKnightwolf47, on 20 May 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

Hey boys, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. May be a bit late but hopefully it will help. There is actually a website called Game Debate which will tell you if your computer can run a particular game:

http://www.game-debate.com/

When I first started playing Mechwarrior Online, I was in the need for a new laptop for school, so I decided to splurge & get something which could at least play MWO. I originally looked at an ASUS laptop (whose name/designation escapes me at the moment) which had the NVIDIA 660M graphics processor which could run MWO, along with an i7 core processor and 8 GB of RAM. My only complaint about it was the size, since it had a 17 inch screen. I wound up settling on the Lenovo Idea Pad, which had the same graphics chip and . It can actually run Mechwarrior and Titanfall for decent lengths of time, but Elder Scrolls cause it to heat up and start acting funky fairly quickly.

I paid about 1300 USD for my Lenovo, but it was discounted from the manufacturers' website. If you're not in a hurry, I'd say check out the major manufactures and look for a sale to help you stay in your budget.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks i will check it.

#16 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

View PostENS Puskin, on 21 May 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

Yeah if i buy new laptop i will buy also external cooling device.

I can not find this brand in online local stores, i think it is not available in my country.

They don't operate that way. It's a company that builds high-performance laptops on demand. They have worldwide support, and offer up to 5 years of warranty, as well as lifetime technical support.

You order from their site, and should have it in two weeks.

#17 Kaeseblock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 258 posts
  • LocationEU / Deutschland

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

I can recommend the ASUS Republic of Gamers Series (well, at least the ASUS G750-JH, haven't tested the others yet).

+ they run pretty cool
+ high performance (MWO on High settings and still capped at 60FPS without drops)
- expensive (as is any gaming notebook)
- slightly oversized (detrimental to mobility)

The ASUS G750-JH costs above 1500€, but the G750-JW and G750-JX would fit your price category.
I advice you to read some test reports though, since they will perform worse than the G750-JH.

#18 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

I suggest going the custom route with Sager/Clevo as well. Don't pay unnecessary premium for Razer/Alienware/Asus G/MSI GT stuff.

#19 Guardian00

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Yeah. Laptop + gaming is a defective mix.

Do your own gaming rig and buy a lap.

#20 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

I've had really good luck with Asus laptops. My 4 year old laptop runs the game at min settings.

Just keep in mind, the mobile GPUs are underpowered, so they're a few steps down. It won't be as efficient money wise compared to a desktop, but it's also still a laptop, so you get added portability and a small form factor.
Something like this should be able to play MWO on high settings with good frame rates. Should be in your price range if I got my conversions right. Just search for the ASUS ROG G750JM-DS71 in your area.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users