Should I Learn To Use My Shadowhawks Or Use My Firebrand?

51 replies to this topic

#1 RichRuzz

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

Just a returning player, mostly played my K2, Atlas Founder, Dragonslayer, and Assaults/Heavies mostly. Which is the better off mech if I learned how to play it properly for PUGs (and later on competitive) I have 3 variants of the Shadowhawks so far and only the hero Jaegar.

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

Both are very solid - I would drop with whichever hits your fancy

#3 RichRuzz

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

I'm not sure my Shadowhawk was built right. I had 3x machine gun, streaks, and a laser and didn't do too well. Didn't seem to be able to get through armor.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

How familiar are you with the game mechanics?

IE: are you aware that the lasers are Damage over time weapons?

Edit: a Large Laser does it's damage spread over the full second of it's beam

Machine guns do not do much damage against armor - but get a bonus against the internal structure
Also: Ignore the graphics - the MG are hitscan - where you point is where they hit.

I run 3MG plus I-forget-what-else on my Shadowhawk - so I can say that, that itself is not a bad loadout

Edited by Shar Wolf, 20 May 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#5 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

I suggest gaining as much varied experience as you can. The more experience you have with different weapons and chassis, the better you will probably become as a player.

Also, with/if 3/3/3/3 getting into the game, you may find times where you might need/rather be in a medium than in a more common heavy or assault. If you start playing in a more competitive 4 man group or 12 man team, you might be needed as a medium mech more than a different class.

However, overall, play what you enjoy and don't worry about the rest. The game is here to have fun after all, isn't it?

#6 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

View PostRich Rusznak, on 20 May 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

I'm not sure my Shadowhawk was built right. I had 3x machine gun, streaks, and a laser and didn't do too well. Didn't seem to be able to get through armor.

MGs work best once the armor is already stripped, and Streaks are tough in that you can't aim them - they tend to spread the damage out all over the mech. So if your only direct fire weapon was a single laser (medium? large?) you're going to have a hard time cracking though armor.

#7 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 20 May 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

MGs work best once the armor is already stripped, and Streaks are tough in that you can't aim them - they tend to spread the damage out all over the mech. So if your only direct fire weapon was a single laser (medium? large?) you're going to have a hard time cracking though armor.

Chainfiring the streaks helps a lot with that - but yeah, they are not very good for hitting precise locations
(scaring light mechs off on the other hand.....)

#8 RichRuzz

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Any suggested builds for my 2H or 2D2? Mostly PUG with my buddy who is in a Banshee Hero, then will adapt if I ever find a team.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

Just to post and maybe be helpful...

Shadowhawk 2D2: Place every weapon group on chain fire. With proper fire control, the ERPPCs can be very handy for long range engagements, and occasional bursts within close range combat. SSRMs are for close range, cooling down periods, and to counter fast light mechs. Watch your heat, it can run hot, but it has proven to be very solid for me.

Shadowhawk 2H: This one here can be a lack luster design if not played correctly. You are not going to preform very well within 180m. However, the TAG and AC5 seem to blend very well for ranges. Just always aim for the AC5 and sweep with the tag between shots. The LRMs work with the TAG (go figure), so when you have a bead on someone, shoot them with everything. You can play a little poptart sniper if you need to, with a blend of LRM indirect or LRM support for your own sniping. If used well, it can do a lot of damage fast. One added finishing touch, it runs very cool. When everyone else is shutting down, you'll still be going full swing with no problems at all. (Can also see this build with less LRMs and a LL to complement the AC5 instead...)

(I apologize if I'm not overly coherent at this moment. I recently hit a deer while driving home, and I'm still a little shaken and numb feeling...)

#10 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

Gimme a sec and I can pull some up on Smurfy (a very useful website)

Not a big fan of the Shawk myself though, so they will be kinda vague builds

Edit: just follow Tesunies advice :)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 20 May 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostRich Rusznak, on 20 May 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

Any suggested builds for my 2H or 2D2? Mostly PUG with my buddy who is in a Banshee Hero, then will adapt if I ever find a team.

I read your mind... (play's twilight music)

#12 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

It's been awhile since I played my Shadow Hawks, but I remember running a Gauss + 4 Streaks build in the 2D2 that was tons of fun.

For me, I tend to focus on that high ballistic mount. I think that's it's greatest strength - it's like a Hunchback without the giant hunch.

#13 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 20 May 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

For me, I tend to focus on that high ballistic mount. I think that's it's greatest strength - it's like a Hunchback without the giant hunch.

True and I tended to lean on the ballistics as well (in part because I had the Griffin for my missile medium a short while after)- but has worse hitboxes for armoring what hunch it has.

#14 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Another version (I didn't like) for the Shadowhawk 2H: Same basics as before. However, has a harder hitting AC10 instead of the AC5, but loses the TAG and 5 LRM tubes. I didn't find this to work so well for me, but you might have better luck than I did.

Then I have this strange Shadowhawk 5M build (can be made on most any Shadowhawk): LRMs for long range and while you position yourself for other fighting. I suggest you try and use all your LRM ammo before closing in. Then you have a single AC20 to help finish off your targets, or make anyone who gets too close to be careful or take it's damage. The concept is to use LRMs as your open, and then finish targets with some well placed AC20 rounds once you are closer in. Slow, but can survive and give a good beating to anyone at almost any range.

Of course, if you like any of these builds, use them. If you like a concept of a build, but not the exact build, by all means alter them to better suit yourself.

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 20 May 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

It's been awhile since I played my Shadow Hawks, but I remember running a Gauss + 4 Streaks build in the 2D2 that was tons of fun.

I agree with that ballistic slot being a huge strength to the design of the Shaowhawk. However, who ever said I follow a mechs meta strength? (I'm known for my occasional strange, odd, and unusual designs. By some people's concepts, they shouldn't work. For me? Somehow they just do!)

#16 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostTesunie, on 20 May 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

By some people's concepts, they shouldn't work. For me? Somehow they just do!

I am still hesitant about trying that Centurion (I take way to much of a beating in mine to trust the XLs) but I run a vaguely similar build...

On the other hand - that Locust works better than any logic should allow, I can attest to that! :)

#17 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 20 May 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

I am still hesitant about trying that Centurion (I take way to much of a beating in mine to trust the XLs) but I run a vaguely similar build...

On the other hand - that Locust works better than any logic should allow, I can attest to that! :)

That Cent has the concept that I'm probably going to lose that Gauss arm once close combat hits, which is why there isn't much ammo for it. Then, once that arm is gone or no more ammo, I duck and weave with the lasers and SSRMs. The XL has caused a couple deaths here or there, but with the new hit boxes, I find my Cents tend to die from CT only damage now. Not much spreading happening, even with twisting. (And it was what came stock, and I tend to work builds around stock engines... or whatever engine happens to just be sitting around... :P )

And that Locust... it's like no one can hit a slow locust! (It would work better if the SRMs hit and caused full damage all the time though (when they do hit of course)...)

View PostShar Wolf, on 20 May 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

On the other hand - that Locust works better than any logic should allow, I can attest to that! :wacko:

Should see my Locust 1M I have planned... Sad part is, I'm tempted to make it with a Std 100 engine again... :angry: (instead of with the xl190.)

Edited by Tesunie, 20 May 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#18 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

View PostTesunie, on 20 May 2014 - 08:06 PM, said:

And that Locust... it's like no one can hit a slow locust! (It would work better if the SRMs hit and caused full damage all the time though (when they do hit of course)...)

(sorry for going off-topic)

I have found the arm sticks around longer than you might expect - rather like playing Yenlo - but without the "shoot me" sign on the arm. (the distance helps with that)

As for the Locust.... that is one of the most bizare experiences I have had in the game - currently at a 3.0 W/L ratio with it. :)

Back on topic though - I would say to try them stock - but the Shadowhawks have some of the least firepower in the game stock - so I will not torture you that way, but take a look at the stock builds and see what you would do to improve on that.

IE: relax and have fun with it - it is a game after all, and if you are not having fun..... :angry:

View PostTesunie, on 20 May 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

Should see my Locust 1M I have planned... Sad part is, I'm tempted to make it with a Std 100 engine again... :wacko: (instead of with the xl190.)

That is one I would love to take into the stock matches (IF I ever manage to be on when they are happening)

#19 RichRuzz

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostTesunie, on 20 May 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

Just to post and maybe be helpful...

Shadowhawk 2D2: Place every weapon group on chain fire. With proper fire control, the ERPPCs can be very handy for long range engagements, and occasional bursts within close range combat. SSRMs are for close range, cooling down periods, and to counter fast light mechs. Watch your heat, it can run hot, but it has proven to be very solid for me.

Shadowhawk 2H: This one here can be a lack luster design if not played correctly. You are not going to preform very well within 180m. However, the TAG and AC5 seem to blend very well for ranges. Just always aim for the AC5 and sweep with the tag between shots. The LRMs work with the TAG (go figure), so when you have a bead on someone, shoot them with everything. You can play a little poptart sniper if you need to, with a blend of LRM indirect or LRM support for your own sniping. If used well, it can do a lot of damage fast. One added finishing touch, it runs very cool. When everyone else is shutting down, you'll still be going full swing with no problems at all. (Can also see this build with less LRMs and a LL to complement the AC5 instead...)

(I apologize if I'm not overly coherent at this moment. I recently hit a deer while driving home, and I'm still a little shaken and numb feeling...)

I'm going to follow the 2D2 build, what does chain fire do for me exactly? I haven't ever used it or what's the point. (how should I setup my weapon groups if you don't mind me asking a dumb question)

All other advice is appreciated from others too :)

#20 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostRich Rusznak, on 20 May 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

I'm going to follow the 2D2 build, what does chain fire do for me exactly? I haven't ever used it or what's the point. (how should I setup my weapon groups if you don't mind me asking a dumb question)

Roughly?

Chain fire focuses the missiles more centrally (IE more missiles hit the same point - usually CT)- but renders them more vulnerable to AMS fire.

Edit: no dumb questions - just people feeling dumb for asking (which is not the same as actually BEING dumb :))

Fun fact - dumb used to mean mute - with the assumption that they were just not smart enough to talk (or rather - that that assumption is how it shifted to it's current meaning)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 20 May 2014 - 08:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users