• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:19 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 May 2014 - 02:45 AM, said:

I would call that surrender if the odds are 3:1 or greater. Discretion is the GREATER part of valor.

I'd agree... if there were a surrender option. But there's not, there's no self eject.

Your choice is go get yourself killed, or greif your teammates by holding up their mechs in a match.

#22 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:23 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 22 May 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

I'd agree... if there were a surrender option. But there's not, there's no self eject.

Your choice is go get yourself killed, or greif your teammates by holding up their mechs in a match.

When I genuinely decide to "surrender" I just head out to an open grid and make offers to duel players. About 9 times out of 10 a pack of slobbering dogs show up to pile on for that K/D stat, the honorless bastages they are.

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:23 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 22 May 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

Running out of bounds ejects us pretty good.

As to griefing my team mates... If I need/want to tell em to shut their dead pie hole... I am not griefing them in the least. I have chosen to fight my way, or surrender to the inevitable. But they need to either be helpful or shut up about their wants. They died I didn't. deal with it. They are paying for making a bad choice earlier in the game. :)

#24 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

Hm - sometimes i try to help the "Survivor" and tell them where to shoot at ...but I'm sure they didn't see the messages
(SHD - red CT - no armor, Griffin one leg - orange.....and similar -but usually they ambush the not damaged targets)

#25 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

View PostDiablobo, on 22 May 2014 - 03:17 AM, said:

Trying to hide or run out the clock when faced with overwhelming odds is the biggest jerk move in this game. Making the other players wait and watch the clock instead of moving on to the next match is unacceptable.

Of course if there is a chance to possibly pick off the other team one by one you should try it, but hiding is only an option when you might be able to ambush, not just to survive.
I root for this guy if I am spectating. If only because he is Sticking it to the enemy team by staying alive. It is a small victory in a losing scenario but it is one I can support.

#26 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:27 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 22 May 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

Hm - sometimes i try to help the "Survivor" and tell them where to shoot at ...but I'm sure they didn't see the messages
(SHD - red CT - no armor, Griffin one leg - orange.....and similar -but usually they ambush the not damaged targets)

Just tell them to press the "R" button. Most pugs rarely do.

#27 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:29 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 May 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

I root for this guy if I am spectating. If only because he is Sticking it to the enemy team by staying alive. It is a small victory in a losing scenario but it is one I can support.

Hollow victory, really. Since you are not doing damage, you are not earning anything. Stats whores might care about such things, but for a game that is currently only about getting the next mech, C-Bill/XP earned per hour is all I care.

Edited by El Bandito, 22 May 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#28 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:31 AM

Well, I still think the KDR shouldn't exist or be visible.
It's one of the biggest responsible for most moronic actions in this game.

Other than that, I'm all for the "pilots choice". I even asked others to shut up because they are grieving the last player standing with sentences like "get it over with, go and die fast". My usual answer to the is: "He is playing his game, you did the same and died fast, next time don't die so fast and shut it"

#29 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:44 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 May 2014 - 03:29 AM, said:

Hollow victory, really. Since you are not doing damage, you are not earning anything. Stats whores might care about such things, but for a game that is currently only about getting the next mech, C-Bill/XP earned per hour is all I care.

And that is on you. But that doesn't give the right to infringe no player X's right to play the game his way. If C Bills per hour is your Goal you could hit exit match and move to the next Launch ASAP. So long as you have another Mech.

#30 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

Trying to survive is the worst and also reportable to PGI
Self distract is low but acceptable
If the enemy team is to damage ambuse them, if not, go down fighting.

#31 Bounty Dogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

View PostFlipOver, on 22 May 2014 - 02:19 AM, said:

We've all been there, almost the whole team dies and in our team stand to have one last pilot alive.

Depending on the circumstances of the match, that pilot can have lots of choices.
But when the enemy has 7+ 'Mechs working and the game mode is Skirmish (or even Assault), what should the last standing pilot do if there are between 5-8 minutes for the match to end?

1 - Run for cover and hide, trying to ambush one strangler or just trying to survive
2 - Face the enemy and go out fighting (even if the last pilot is a sniper light 'Mech?)
3 - Self destroy - Run past the map's limits or OVERRIDE and heat up until death

What are your thoughts?
I know there are lots of situations and that's why I tried to narrow them down to the example above.

Let's say I'm curious because, I myself have done all of them since I first started playing this game.

I tend to let the living live, and make their choices.

Was in a game once that went south fast. Me and everyone else was dead except one raven pilot (being a mediocre pilot, I tend to have a lot of time on my hands >_<). I think there were like 4-5 opfor left. The Vengeful Dead begin telling the raven to suicide by opfor, or suicide by bounding, but the raven doesn't listen. He begins patiently sniping with his 2LLs (I think. Its been a while since this happened, and I don't remember his exact loadout). One of the vengeful dead begins to get abusive, insulting and spewing vitriol at the lone pilot. Me and another of the Embarrassed dead begin taking up for the raven pilot, as he's not responding to the shouts of the newly deterred. He was busy.....

busy defeating the entire remnanats of the opfor.

It was amazing. The guy knew his stuff. He'd snipe to draw away the quicker elements, circle around to strike/defeat the slower elements that were trying to keep up with those that wanted the kill, then disappear about as well as Kyle MacLachlan on a desert planet full of giant worms. He was some kind of crazy Jedi/Fremen/Ninja Light pilot. Those of use with sense were stunned when we realized we'd won. The Vengeful dead, though, didnt even have the grace to apologize, and tried to pretend that he had the best interests of the pilot in mind.

I learned something that day: You should NEVER listen to the Vengeful Dead, for they envy the living, and want you to share their misery (not the battlemech). I try to be part of either the respectful dead, the sheltering dead, or the QUIET dead from in honor of that jedi/fremen/ninja pilot. Whoever you were sir, may the Spice always flow, and may the force be with you!

tl;dr - Let the living make their choices of their fate, and either observe quietly, or just leave the match.

Edited by Bounty Dogg, 22 May 2014 - 04:16 AM.

#32 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:10 AM

Sticking it to the other players by not allowing them to kill you and making everyone wait is passive-aggressive weaksauce griefing. It does not give any victory, hollow or otherwise. It just ruins the fun for many other players and causes them to have to spend even more time in a match that they would just as soon move on and try another.

Edited by Diablobo, 22 May 2014 - 04:14 AM.

#33 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:19 AM

View PostDiablobo, on 22 May 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

Sticking it to the other players by not allowing them to kill you and making everyone wait is passive-aggressive weaksauce griefing. It does not give any victory, hollow or otherwise. It just ruins the fun for many other players and causes them to have to spend even more time in a match that they would just as soon move on and try another.

So who's fun do I Put first yours or mine? Talk about weak sauce. I am here to HAVE fun not make it so you enjoy the game. I have 3 Mechs... If I want to get to another game I can just exit the match and ready up a different mech. You Have Up to 12 Mechs (Overlord?) If you wanna talk weak sauce I'd say you have a abundant supply.

#34 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:24 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 May 2014 - 03:44 AM, said:

And that is on you. But that doesn't give the right to infringe no player X's right to play the game his way. If C Bills per hour is your Goal you could hit exit match and move to the next Launch ASAP. So long as you have another Mech.

I'll concede it's PGI responsibility to discourage such action, rather than prohibit it.

#35 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

If its a roll by the other team and they're playing meta-tart builds, running tons of ecm, etc, I'll happily run out of bounds if I'm fast enough to do it, just to deny them the kill.

If I'm in a heavier mech, i'll go out guns blazing, and pray that someday I will have them all laid out on my altar.

Because blood for the blood god, that's why.

#36 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:28 AM

Depends on how I feel about my team and my options.

I've had matches where my team did so badly, I simply walked the 'Mech off a map edge because they literally died before I could get into weapon range.

If it's not Skirmish, I'll cheerfully hide as the last guy. You go right ahead and try to cap, I'm not stalling the game in any way, shape or form and if my team did that badly, they can bloody well suffer through the process and think about how bad they were, since I can't slap you through the monitor. I keep a good book by my monitor for just such moments. Or if I think I can do some damage (notably on Assault thanks to turrets), I'll set up shop and hit em as they come in. I've ended up literally taking out half a team between my guns and theirs.

If it is Skirmish, you fight. Stay active, let the team know what you're doing. Last weekend, we were down to our last guy and the other side had 6 left...and he calmly sniped every single one of them to death in a Cicada, ending the game with six kills from ambushes and simple outmaneuvering of opponents. We'd shredded all the lighter units and maimed the others enough that he dropped everything from a Shadow Hawk through a Banshee and Atlas. And won.

#37 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:30 AM

View PostUrsh, on 22 May 2014 - 04:27 AM, said:

I'll happily run out of bounds...

Because blood for the blood god, that's why.

I hate to butcher things out of context like this... but it's to make a point. Khorne would be disappointed in you son.

#38 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

Try to cap/survive if it's conq, otherwise berserker rage. I have even been weaponless and attempted to ram/DFA an enemy to death.

Posted Image

#39 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

View PostSilentium, on 22 May 2014 - 04:31 AM, said:

I have even been weaponless and attempted to ram/DFA an enemy to death.

I believe in you!

Posted Image

#40 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:34 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 22 May 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

I'll concede it's PGI responsibility to discourage such action, rather than prohibit it.

I never support the systematic removal of free choice. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users