250 replies to this topic

#201 Calamus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostFut, on 23 May 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

It's great that you have such a strong opinion about this... But you're wrong.

During a Marathon, once the first batch of runners cross the finish line, should the other runners just up and quit or should they finish the race?

That is not relevant. There are several goals in marathon running that have nothing to do with who comes in first. Goal setting for the self is actually, I would argue, a greater goal in marathon running than coming in first place.

The goal of MWO is for your team to win the match.

Telling me i'm wrong does not make it so.

This isn't a philosophy class. We should probably just use the definitions of the words that the vast majority of the world agrees with.

If the vast majority of the world is ignorant to the subject, should we still use them?

#202 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

View PostOdins Fist, on 23 May 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

You can pick your friends...
You can pick your nose...

BUT, you can't pick your friend's nose..

Odins Fist

You can. You just probably shouldn't.

#203 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

View PostOdins Fist, on 23 May 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

You can pick your friends...
You can pick your nose...

BUT, you can't pick your friend's nose..

WORDS TO LIVE BY...!!!!

Odins Fist

Actually if you are good enough friends... you can even do that.

#204 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostCalamus, on 23 May 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

That is not relevant. There are several goals in marathon running that have nothing to do with who comes in first. Goal setting for the self is actually, I would argue, a greater goal in marathon running than coming in first place.

It's directly relevant then. If my goal in a match is to not die (but I have participated in the match until I was the last man standing), why is my goal less valid than yours? Especially if, since I'm the last man standing and you're destroyed, you presumably failed at yours?

Edited by Harathan, 23 May 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#205 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

View PostMagnakanus, on 22 May 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

Fist point, I find it appalling that we have long time players, Founders, Overlord package holders, etc. trying to play the trump that they need the C-bills/XP or have just that one mech to drop with and therewith dictate the actions of others. I have at least 10 mechs I drop with on a regular basis (all fully equipped and with their own separate modules) and around 200 mil in the bank. Needing to maximize C-bill earnings and being stuck with 1 mech is a new player issue, not one for package holders and long term players. Even if you do not own a single mech there are still 4 trial mechs to drop in, so, trump card denied.

What I do as the last man standing depends on the game mode and my mech, like many of the other posters. I also make very sure to type my intentions to my team if I decide to power down for an ambush.

Skermish: If I have no weapons I need to go die by the most convenient method available. I can do no good and there is no other vicotry condition besides my death. If I have weapons I am going to do my damndest to take the enemy down or at least hurt them as much as possible.

Assault/Conquest: If I can, I am going to take somebody with me. If not, well there is a second win condition and the enemy team is welcome to use it, because I am not feeding my mech to them. I will never rush into a mob of enemies just to end the match, ever. I have also never intentionally ran out of bounds (did once by accident when I just started) either.

If you are feeding yourself to the enemy just to save some random people a minute or two you are not doing your best, rather you are being a submissive slave to the will of strangers. Like Conan said (more or less); this is my fight, if you want to help then fine, if not then stay out of my way and be quiet.

Some of us thought we were leaving and sold off all our mechs, then had to rebuy after coming back, which dropped our c-bill totals to very low.

Other's of us maybe are not that good, and other's still don't spend every waking hour playing mechwarrior online, thus our c-bill totals are low.

It's not rocket science. There is a single commodity in MWO that we're fighting for, and that is c-bills. If I launch into a match with one of my hero mechs, because I'm grinding c-bills for the next mech I'm trying to master, and you go hide in a corner at the end of the match and shut down, thus not participating in the game. Yeah, I'm going to be mad, many other people are going to be mad, and you're breaking the rules in that you are supposed to be actively participating in the match.

NOW, the exception to that is if you've been fighting it out all match, are seriously wounded and withdrew... in that instance, it's understandable, and seeing as how you fought it out up to that point, you may as well run off and try to hide... that's understandable... but running off at the beginning of a match to hide in an obscure corner of the map just to run down the clock, especially in skirmish... that's messed up and counter productive.

#206 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 May 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

Actually if you are good enough friends... you can even do that.

:P

#207 Calamus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 May 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

I prefer these quotes, when it comes to competing!

Unfortunately that will lead you and I to an impasse. In war I would, perhaps, agree with you. In recreational competition I absolutely do not.

#208 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostBilbo, on 23 May 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

Except you aren't losing anything you would have gotten if the lone survivor just gave himself up. It isn't his job to make sure you get your rewards. It's yours. If you are asking the guy to just get it over with he isn't likely to do anything that would make your rewards any better anyway.

I don't think you get it. Player A in the first 5 minutes Kills 1 and damages 5 and dies. If 'A' quits now he gets points for the kill and damage points inflicted. Over the next five minutes the team manages to kill the 5 that were damaged by 'A' but are wiped out except for player 'D'. If 'A' quits now they still only get the 1 Kill and the damage points inflicted, still no assists. The assists are only awarded at match end.
So yes, 'D' drawing it out only to keep from dying and not trying to win or take someone with them does prevent 'A' from getting better rewards.

If they didn't have the C-Bill farming mechanic, this wouldn't be an issue at all. But they do, so player 'D' is likely holding up rewards for several of their teammates by drawing it out without attempting to improve the match standing. If you can't see why that is a point of frustration for people, I don't know what else to tell you.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 23 May 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#209 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

If the vast majority of the world is ignorant to the subject, should we still use them?

The goal of the game is to kill the enemy, take his stuff or live to the end of the match.

#210 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostHarathan, on 23 May 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

It's not. Good try tho.

You give 'em way too much credit …

#211 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 23 May 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

...and you're breaking the rules in that you are supposed to be actively participating in the match.

Nope. As long as we participated to that point, we're clear.

I want to be clear here; If I'm the last man standing I'll do my best to make the enemies life hell. I think running off and shutting down in a hole somewhere is a crappy thing to do. But it is NOT against the rules and it is NOT our right to force that player to do otherwise.

Edited by Harathan, 23 May 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#212 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

In other words, you don't think it's cool for people to set personal goals for themselves in MWO?

The vast majority of the world isn't though... so stop letting that **** spew forth from your mouth/fingers.

#213 Calamus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 May 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

The goal of the game is to kill the enemy, take his stuff or live to the end of the match.

LOL! Come on, Joseph. You've proven yourself too smart to believe that. You can't have possibly meant that this is the goal of marathon-ing, so I'll assume you meant MWO.

The goal of the game is to be better at a digital simulation that the people on the opposing team. Often that means that your mech doesn't last to the end of the match. My clan uses strategy that includes meat shielding, and sacrificing all the time in order to win the match.

Plus, you don't take anything from the opposing team other than time, and ego.

Let's keep our perspective here.

#214 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostOdins Fist, on 23 May 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

If I can do it for my babies, I can do it for a friend in a coma if the situation arises.

#215 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostHarathan, on 23 May 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Nope. As long as we participated to that point, we're clear.

I want to be clear here; If I'm the last man standing I'll do my best to make the enemies life hell. I think running off and shutting down in a hole somewhere is a crappy thing to do. But it is NOT against the rules and it is NOT our right to force that player to do otherwise.

You...didn't read my entire post... I make it clear that, if you fought up to the end, then ran off, that's fair... you're playing strategically. If you ran off at the begining of the match to power down in an obscure corner of the map, then you're just being a [redacted].

#216 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

Funny how that only ever applies to the person saying it.

#217 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostCalamus, on 23 May 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

The goal of the game is to be better at a digital simulation that the people on the opposing team. Often that means that your mech doesn't last to the end of the match. My clan uses strategy that includes meat shielding, and sacrificing all the time in order to win the match.

Ugh.. Stop ruining MWO... please.

R&R needs to come back.

#218 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 23 May 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

You...didn't read my entire post... I make it clear that, if you fought up to the end, then ran off, that's fair... you're playing strategically. If you ran off at the begining of the match to power down in an obscure corner of the map, then you're just being a [redacted].

Apologies, I misundertood.

#219 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 23 May 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

Except those options are not "no consequence" options. They have a cost to the person that quits before the match end, either in a loss of C-Bill and XP rewards, and/or the locking of the Mech they want to play. To pretend otherwise is just trollish.

Yes: you 'Mech is locked (big deal;) No: There is no penalty to quiting out after death; Pretending otherwise is just trollish.

#220 Calamus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostFut, on 23 May 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

In other words, you don't think it's cool for people to set personal goals for themselves in MWO?

Let's compare apples with apples, hey?

The vast majority of the world isn't though... so stop letting that **** spew forth from your mouth/fingers.

Right. I have one word for you, if you believe that. Naive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users