Whats With Everyone Using Lrms Now?

61 replies to this topic

#1 NameNotAvailable

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

I keep trying, I keep coming back to the game after a couple of months away, time and time again, because the core gameplay was so awesome 18 months ago, and occasionally it's still great.

but in the last week? why is EVERYONE spamming lrms? its so DULL

I can do it, same as everyone else, stand at the back of the map, wait for the token light to poke his head around the corner, target, hold down lrm-tard button, wait for next target.

why would anyone want to play this way? I genuinely don't get it? How is this fun?
when it was a couple of lrm boats per team, you could use cover, equip ecm or ams, there were things you could do.

now? I've died within 3 seconds of breaking cover 4x tonight. in Heavies... with full armor...

so dissapointed, I don't play an lrm boat, the key is in the sentence, I don't PLAY an lrm boat. I can DO it, but it's not PLAYING, its WORK. I play this game for fun, I don't get the fun of lrm boating, and now that everyone is doing it, theres no fun in the rest of the game.

I guess I finally see why my friends stopped playing. I'll check in a couple of months, but I think I've finally lost all hope. Farewell.

#2 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

Focus on helping your team win more often than it loses. This will raise your Elo.

Then you will be out of Elo hell and you won't see very many LRMs.

Profit

#3 Flaming oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostNameNotAvailable, on 25 May 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

I keep trying, I keep coming back to the game after a couple of months away, time and time again, because the core gameplay was so awesome 18 months ago, and occasionally it's still great.

I can do it, same as everyone else, stand at the back of the map, wait for the token light to poke his head around the corner, target, hold down lrm-tard button, wait for next target.

why would anyone want to play this way? I genuinely don't get it? How is this fun?
when it was a couple of lrm boats per team, you could use cover, equip ecm or ams, there were things you could do.

now? I've died within 3 seconds of breaking cover 4x tonight. in Heavies... with full armor...

so dissapointed, I don't play an lrm boat, the key is in the sentence, I don't PLAY an lrm boat. I can DO it, but it's not PLAYING, its WORK. I play this game for fun, I don't get the fun of lrm boating, and now that everyone is doing it, theres no fun in the rest of the game.

I guess I finally see why my friends stopped playing. I'll check in a couple of months, but I think I've finally lost all hope. Farewell.

Firstly if a lrm boat is standing at the back of the map firing probably indirectly , hes bad really bad. If your getting killed by said guy your bqad really bad, hell if your getting killed by lrms often your not that good. LRMs are probably fighting it out for the spot of worst weapon in game all things considered.

#4 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Meta..

#5 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

View PostTekadept, on 25 May 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Meta..

LRMs- meta ? LMFAO

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

the reason people are using lrms is simple...

everyone is playing heavies and assaults for the tournament to maximizing their damage and kills.

everyone using mostly heavies and assaults means theres less ecm to go around (less lights). As a result LRMs are viable.

#7 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

View PostTekadept, on 25 May 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Meta..

Maybe in the really, really bad elo brackets and during the tournament where ECM is non-existent, but really?

#8 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

One of the ways to earn points in the tourny is to get big damage. LRMs are easy to farm damage with so people are taking them and hopeing that with enough matches they will get some that have high kills along with the damage. So basically as far as I can tell, people with good aim and piloting are mostly using Meta Dragon Slayers and a mix of heavy hitter assaults like Miserys and Banshees, and maybe sometimes LRMs. The other players that are going for the points are mostly just using LRMs.

Edited by dario03, 25 May 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#9 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

View PostKhobai, on 25 May 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

the reason people are using lrms is simple...

everyone is playing heavies and assaults for the tournament to maximizing their damage and kills.

everyone using mostly heavies and assaults means theres less ecm to go around (less lights). As a result LRMs are viable.

Plus nothing kill steals like an LRM boat. ;)

Weren't you FRR before?

#10 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Weren't you FRR before?

Yes but FRR had no chance of winning

#11 TheLetterN

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 37 posts
  • LocationSesame street

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostKhobai, on 25 May 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

I wonder why...

#12 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

I wonder why...

Because theyre a minority faction. Steiner and Davion are by far the most popular factions and will always win these type of events just by virtue of having way more players.

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

Well... it's not Liao.

;)

#14 TheLetterN

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 37 posts
  • LocationSesame street

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostKhobai, on 25 May 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

Because theyre a minority faction. Steiner and Davion are by far the most popular factions and will always win these type of events just by virtue of having way more players.

Aye, it is true that they have more, but running over there every time there is a faction event only makes it worse lol, should just stay there.

#15 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:27 PM

I lurm because I can... and primarily because I get really bored out of my mind running PPCs+ACs.

I don't brawl as much as I'd like (the meta doesn't help).

Also, there's just so many bad players to torture. It's sad really. I hate lurms too, but I don't really go about complaining about it too much... L2P+use cover is everything.

Plus, I'm running a Trebuchet Failbucket-5N. It's not hard to kill a mech that is big as a Highlander, but has the same armor as a Hunchback+Centurion.

Edited by Deathlike, 25 May 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#16 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

Neither does the previous winner, Steiner, apparently ;P.

#17 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

@OP

You should probably play with lrms yourself for a while to learn their strengths and weaknesses. I roll with a LRM40 often, they have alot of limitations and are far more situational than some players realize. Even in my 52kph stalker, I rarely find LRMs keeping me from making manuevers, unless they are across a wide open field being spotted by the enemy.(which is almost always a bad idea) Also hang around buddies with ecm's, LRM pilots hate ecms. Also learn how to properly break locks. Even a slow mech can dogde most of a volley with a careful thought to your posistioning before you break cover.(ie, move into cover and to the side a little)

Play with lrms and you'll quickly learn what parts of a given map are lrm-safe and what corridors to use to keep from being spotted so easily. Now if you come across me, I'll be within 400-750m firing over the heads of 3 other brawlers and tagging you with a laser pointer and chasing you around corners. Not much you can do to hide from those. ;)

Edited by CaptainDeez, 25 May 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#18 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:51 PM

You are probably dying so quickly because

1. You think in extremes and have a hard time with a scale of grey.

i.e., "EVERYONE IS USING LRMS"

It's a lie.

2. You run when things are tough.

If you leave whenever there are challenges afoot, you will never learn to overcome those challenges.

Oh and as a note, I dislike LRMS being on my team. Prefer them being on the other team.

Edited by Daisu Saikoro, 25 May 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#19 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

Solved...

Posted Image

#20 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 25 May 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

Solved...

Posted Image

Does it come in hetero?

13 user(s) are reading this topic