The Supernova....anyone Else Hope They Bring In Non-Omni Clan Mechs So We Can Have This Sexy Beast?

BattleMechs

66 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:40 AM

Ever since MW3 (cuz let's face it, Loose's 3058 TRO illustration was NOT One of his finer works) this has been my favorite Clan Assault (tied with the Warhammer IIC, technically, but we ain't gonna get it).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

90 tons of Energy Based Face Wreckage.
6 Clan ER Large Lasers.
26 (!!!!!!!) DHS
3 JJs
464 pts of Armor (MWO armor scale)

THIS. This is why I dislike the PGI Mech Tree idea. Because Mechs like this only have ONE variant in Timeline. And because they cannot (figure out how to) increase the grind (and thus enhance likelihood of spending IRL money on the mech or GXP conversion to speed up the process) it's just one of several mechs that will NEVER see the light of day in MWO.

And this is why many of us have been telling PGI, since Closed Beta, that their Pilot Skill system is borked.

Please, White Knights of the PGI Table, come to their defense and explain how a Skill Tree design that EXCLUDES a HUGE portion of the extant Mechs PGI could be adding (and monetizing) to the game is a Good Idea.

*(Yes, this vile Black Knight just pulled a bait n switch. Deal with it. BTW, Black Knight would be cool to have in game too. But they would have to add a "PGI, We Totally Know What We're Doing!" Paint scheme to it to get it to sell...... but it might become the Mech du jour of us disgruntled masses, the sign of our own "Occupy" movement)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 26 May 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#2 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:41 AM

I would like to see something like this- instead of needing three variants of the same Mech to master, if you have three non-multiple variant Mech it groups them together for mastery.

#3 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

To be honest for the sake of bringing in some classic 'mechs. Inventing 2 more variants isn't really a hard task.

However the non-omnimech thing is probably a big reason why we might not ever see this.

#4 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:52 AM

Dear bishop, rest asure that pgi will do everything possible to make a supernova happen. We all agree with you that the pilot skill tree Is a bit off. Pgi will delegate a skilled individual exactly for that reason, that guy, let's call him Joe, will work solely on this purpose.
I'm sorry that everyone is working right now on the clan package, but as soon as possible pgi will split it's team. Not in 2 but as many as 5 groups to solve that problem. Right after pgi has delivered clan warfare (date depends on the upcoming clan reinforcement packs and the inner sphere reinforcement packs) they eagerly will look into this single mech problem.

as early,as spring 2015 you may see your supernova (remember spring lasts till June 2015). If pgi is not fulfilling the overwhelming wish for the long awaited inner sphere omni mech package.
dates may vary due to the nature of work in progress

#5 Tkhaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:54 AM

Oh Yes!!!

While you are at it, please bring us

Kingfisher
Turkina
Kodiak

as well!

#6 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

Me, totally the best and most sexy mech ever, always hot, JJ's and quite fast. 6ERLL <3
But I fear it would be to meta jumpsniper PPK trollike.

Bit the above pictures are kinda too bulky and a bit too edgy, Noca has to be more of ovals and round shapes, like a nice sportscar

Especially the arms

Posted Image
Posted Image

but those arms will be a problem ^^ even the most stupid AI in MW3 was able to cause serious trouble since these arms were omnipresent eveywhere. and nearly impossible to miss.

Also variants may be an issue since one carries ATM's (Not available in 3050) and the others are alos Energy only. Which does hadly make room for any Variants.
But they could give different variants different Quirks, like the Prime having a Ghostheat affect starting when firing 3 LL instead 2.

And the other with the pulse lasers maybe another quirk, like more arm twist.

But that mech would be worth some MC. Wasn't there a thread about metallic colors? This mech in a metallic red or silver, Just epic.

Edited by Grimmrog, 26 May 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#7 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

2 words.

Ghost heat. (and it has nothing to do with Clan Ghost Bears)

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostChemie, on 26 May 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

2 words.

Ghost heat. (and it has nothing to do with Clan Ghost Bears)

1 word.

Irrelevant.

No one ever ran 6 large on it anyhow. 2 large, 2 ppc, 2 mediums. Then again being a non obi it would probably getp hard point Inflation

#9 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Very dissapotined with the new nova

no masc
doesnt even look close to what the first nova to be seen looks like

Posted Image

http://fc04.devianta...sss-d5xaqs2.jpg

http://ppc.warhPosted Imageawken.../mw2icenova.gif

Edited by Burnin2nd, 26 May 2014 - 07:35 AM.

#10 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

The bigger problem is that it's a battlemech, not an omnimech. Worse, it's a _clan_ battlemech. One of the (supposed) big things about clan vs IS balancing is the Omnimech customizability being completely different. Seeing a clan mech customizable as much as an IS battlemech using clan technology is probably OP.

Also, Burnin2nd ..... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Nova ever had MASC to begin with?

#11 Valkyrie Brynhildr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 343 posts
  • LocationHall of the Valkyries

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

This is the one clan mech I hop they add to the game.

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

As much as I want Supernova in this game, I personally want Kodiak first. I always thought of Kodiak as the Clan version of the Atlas, only better. Those sexy hardpoints are difficult to resist. Not to mention the pissed-off bear's visage.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 May 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#13 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

I would LOVE for them to get rid of their stupid exp system, and instead bring something else in that's creative. The fact that we often have to pilot 3 mechs just to enjoy 1 is simply a stupid business model. And also, as the OP pointed out, it excludes mechs that don't have very many variants.

I'd personally love to see the Super Nova added to the game, though the last thing we need is more poptart mechs to add more fuel to the stupid meta cheese that has taken over this game.

#14 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

What is ghostheat? 26DHS don't care that much ^^

People need to get off that stupid idea to Alpha all their weapons.

The Supernova an with 6 Er largelasers can fire even with ghostheat 2x3ERLL Volleys without having to shut down. Or you throw them out in 4x2ERLL Volleys meaning 72 damage in around 4 seconds. after this you can continuously fire a single one.

Edit, **** this ****, I forgot to switch the heat simulator to DHS ^^

The Supernova can alpha to 101% heat
you can in volleys of 2 ERLL throw out seven Volleys meaning 126 damage. time should then be around 9 seconds.
Or go in volleys of 3ERLL meanign 4 Volleys possible.

Thats crazily enough to be a laserskalpell for most mechs.
The sustained Firepower is epic.

The samee with the regular Nova, if you alpha it, you fail using it crrectly, but volles of 5 are safe, and even a volley of 9 works. But 12 is massively overkill.

I wouldn't care if regular Battletechs of the clans would not be allowed to have IS like Weapons without the strength boni of the clantech.

The Supernova has only 3 JJ's maybe that may not be enough to bring it up for poptarting. But helps with small obstactles, since the regular Supernova is quite slow. 54kph.

Edited by Grimmrog, 26 May 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#15 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Personally, i would love for the Pilot Tree system to be unique (to an extent) to each variant. Do away with the generic heat/agility enhancements (I HATE the arm reflex one, i prefer slower movement on my arms for better accuracy - Mouse sensitivity = 0.05 ._.) and replace them with variant specific, with some chassis/class generic bonuses.

Do away with the need to own 3 'Mechs to get to Master, Give us a reason to buy and use specific variants based on quirks of the chassis.
Like an Awesome 9M having Pilot Tree skills relating to PPCs, 8Qs getting missile bonuses.
Give some Victors bonuses to JJ capacities to enhance their general agility in brawl range. Gives reason for owning multiple variants, as they would have skills that lend them to certain roles.
You could even take the Lore role given to each Variant and give them skills that relate to that. Sarna gives some pretty good detail in the Variants sections as to the reasons for various loadouts.

Lights can get bonuses to Spotting, Assisting, TAG/NARCs, Sensor Range enhancements. Things that make the Light a better Scout.

I just feel like the Pilot Tree System is very boring and limiting in its current incarnation. A 'Mech never feels like its working properly until you Master it.

Slightly off topic .. Sorry. But Unless we had a change as drastic as my hope for the System, we'd never see Single/double variant 'Mechs in the game.

#16 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

Other than the hilariously terribad pilot tree system, the Supernova has another problem.

How would Clan Battlemech customization work? If we used the regular Battlemech customization rules, that would remove the main downsides of using Clan tech in MWO (having to deal with hardlocked base chassis). We can't use the Omni rules, because the Snova isn't an Omni.

#17 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostScratx, on 26 May 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

The bigger problem is that it's a battlemech, not an omnimech. Worse, it's a _clan_ battlemech. One of the (supposed) big things about clan vs IS balancing is the Omnimech customizability being completely different. Seeing a clan mech customizable as much as an IS battlemech using clan technology is probably OP.

That is arguably the main problem with Clan "standard"/non-OmniTech 'Mechs (after the near-universal lack of variants) - the Clan weapons & other tech was supposed to be balanced by the customizability limitations of the base OmniMech, in both TT and in MWO.

However, MWO left out the customizability limitations on standard BattleMechs (described in Strategic Operations, pages 188-189), and removed the repair & rearm costs as a constraint on running all manner of expensive Level 2/"LosTech" gear.
For example, simply forbidding players from employing "factory-grade" modifications (which would have meant: no changing internal structure type (STD to ES or vice versa), no changing engine type (STD to XL or vice versa), no changing gyro type (not applicable to MWO... yet?), no changing cockpit type (not applicable to MWO... yet?), no changing myomer type (not applicable to MWO... yet?), and no installing/moving/removing CASE), as well as any "field-grade" or "maintenance-grade" modification that alters hardpoint types or locations would have reigned in the so-called "metagame" far more effectively than anything PGI has tried thus far.
It likely would have also helped to narrow the gap in "viability" between customized 'Mechs and stock 'Mechs.

Without such measures in place, the combination of current BattleMech customizability and Clan technology (which, if absolutely nothing else, would generally be lighter and/or more compact than the IS counterparts) would lead to a point where the "metagame" would revolve around Clan non-OmniTech 'Mechs & all others would be rendered (or, at least, widely considered to be by the so-called "community") unable to compete.

As such, for Clan non-OmniTech 'Mech to not render all other content obsolete/undesirable, PGI would have to completely overhaul the 'Mech customization system, as well as overhaul the skill tree system to allow them (and other 'Mechs that may have fewer than three variants) to be usable in the first place.

P.S.: Bishop, I take it you recall how Oda and I went back-and-forth on the Black Knight in Ultimate 'Mech Discussion, with myself defending the prospect of using the three non-Clanbuster variants (here and here)? <_<

#18 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostFupDup, on 26 May 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

Other than the hilariously terribad pilot tree system, the Supernova has another problem.

How would Clan Battlemech customization work? If we used the regular Battlemech customization rules, that would remove the main downsides of using Clan tech in MWO (having to deal with hardlocked base chassis). We can't use the Omni rules, because the Snova isn't an Omni.

it'd be only using Clan Tech though, which means you couldn't use a Quad PPC build on it, too freaking Hot. You wouldn't be able to put a build on it that you couldn't do in a Clan Omni, so i don't see the problem.

#19 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostReitrix, on 26 May 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

it'd be only using Clan Tech though, which means you couldn't use a Quad PPC build on it, too freaking Hot. You wouldn't be able to put a build on it that you couldn't do in a Clan Omni, so i don't see the problem.

You wouldn't really need quad PPC, because the Clan ERPPC does 15 damage (PGI may or may not nerf that aspect of the weapon). 2 CERPPC is basically dual Gauss, and you can fill in the rest of your tonnage with CERML and DHS or something.

The main issue that would be caused is that we could min-max the engine size, structure type, and armor type to fit whatever we need. The Omnis are hardlocked into sub-optimal base characteristics. Many of them are so stupidly designed, that they feature FF used in place of Endo. Or, they have huge engines or tiny engines. Or other issues, like the Puma's hardwired CT Flamer that does absolutely nothing. The Snova, and other Clan Battlemechs, would have no weaknesses (barring things like bad hitboxes or hardpoint setups).

Edited by FupDup, 26 May 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#20 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

If PGI were to do this mech, it would look 90% like the Stalker.

It's OP before it became OP. <_<

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users