52 replies to this topic

#21 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

View PostJust wanna play, on 26 May 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

I got bored and was running the Lorm Chaser okay! DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4ee3bcfbf00a064
You can fit a whole extra Small laser in there man!
LCT-3M

View PostJust wanna play, on 31 May 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

Yeah i guass (ha ha mwo humor, i made a funny :D) i cant deny, if anything big blocks are just plain fun, i haven't tried anything supper big in a while
(was gonna do awesome 8r with its 60 missile tubes but mehh)because of the many times mechs with cherry red internals shrugged off my 45 missile salvo :huh: Lol and it wasn't really a dedicated team, just me kon and liquid leopard, everyone else was pugers

You probably wouldn't like the ROFLWalker, but what about the ROFLpault? Biggest missile salvo in the game (even though recently reduced by 10) it used to be just 6 lrm 15s but then they changed the cats tubes, to bad the C4 can no longer do 4 lrm 20s in one burst, that would allow two 40 missiles salvos back to back no ghost heat
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fa81764afe90c59

Just remember though everyone,AMS weighs .5 tons and shoots down 2.5 missiles, so that would be half of an lrm 5, which weighs 2 tons, efficient indeed, it may not desstroy the entire salvo but its still an efficient way to reduce enemy damage. And lrm 5 is the lightest launcher per lrm launched
Oh man.... 2LRM20 and 4LRM10...

That's 6 LRM20s worth of ghost heat whenever you fire the 80.... I wonder if the cat can even survive that.

#22 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 26 May 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

This is just a "guide" on the almighty mighty midget with a machine on your shoulder, AMS
(YOU CAN SKIP TO THE 2ND POST FOR A SHORT SUMMARY)

First an introduction:
Introduced in 2617 by the Terran Hegemony, the anti-missile system is used to destroy missiles before they strike their target. This is accomplished by using a short ranged rapid firing weapon which shoots at the missiles. Because missiles in BattleTech are usually fired in salvos of up to forty at a time, anti-missile systems are rarely capable of destroying them all. Due to the loss of knowledge caused by the Succession Wars, anti-missile systems ceased to be produced by 2796. Only in 3040 did the Federated Commonwealth rediscover the means to produce this equipment. For the Clans, however, AMS never became LosTech, and by the time of the invasion had improved on the Star League version by replacing the solid slugs with flechettes, allowing for more ammunition per ton.[1]
Laser versions of the anti-missile system exist, and benefit from having no ammunition requirement unlike regular systems. However they produce heat as a side effect of their use.

First off, So is AMS worth mounting on your mech? YOU DECIDE!
First some stats on here (due keep in mind these stats are with stationary mech and the missile is being fired from at or out side of ams range ):
Size of AMS sytem, weighs half a ton and takes up one slot
On average will take down 2.3 LR missiles per SINGLE salvo (so 2 destroyed one damaged), so 2 missiles down for one ams, 4 down for 2 ams, 7 down for 3 ams, and so on, if a mech is firing a stream type salvo, as in when not enough tubes for full salvo, the number of missiles does NOT double, triple, etc, as the the missies are close enough together to arrive shortly after the first part of the salvo, and the ams is not smart enough to shoot at the end of the salvo after the begging part it was shooting at has hit you.... so you will usually shoot down 1-2 more missiles max if it is a REALLY long slavo, or far more if its a mech that simply doesnt have more then, say 2 tube, same goes for srms, an srm4 out of a 2 tube at most will be 2 missiles downed if you have 2 ams and use certain tricks (talked about below)

Can destroy 1.38 streak missiles per ams, so 1 ams is one streak, 2 ams is two sreaks, 3 ams is 4 streaks, etc. But you MUST let ams shoot at streaks from its max range, if you are face hugging streaker ams is useless, be at least 120meters from streaker
1 ams will ALMOST destroy 1 srm, .92 to be exact, two ams will destroy roughly 1 missiles, 3 destroys 2. 4 destroys 3, etc.

For narc, will take about 2 ams to down a narc, as one ams only manages to take down about half of its health (2 hit points and FAST)

Ammo is 1000 rounds, or enough to shoot down 111 missiles and damage 1, per ton, and 1 crit slot for those 1000 rounds
This ammo will explode for 24 if a full one ton of it is present and it is set off

So, you have decided you want the machine gun midget have you?
Time to get acquainted!

First off the ams will shoot at any and all enemy missiles that go with in 120 meters of you in any direction until out of ammo or destroyed. This includes missile on other side of walls and other obstruction. It will not actually destroy these missiles, so this ammo is wasted. Notice the position of ams as on some mechs, such as the fire starter, you can see the muzzle flash when in your cockpit view, and some people may not like this. It will shoot at missiles going for friendlies as well, but it will always priotorize the closest missile coming for you (via lock).

Now then, now that you know what it is, here are some tips on using it:

If you do not mind losing some ground, backing up away from missiles coming at you increases time ams has to shoot at them, although this isn't always the best thing to do in assaults and such,
so if you are facing a guy with srms, keep him further then 120 meters and just keeping backing up to let the ams pop those srms, not all will be stopped but some will be AND the srms will spread out more
This has an opposite side as well, moving forward will reduce effectiveness of ams, depending on speed of mech, an assault probably will not be missing out on anything, but something fast enough may take more missiles to the face

If you are not the guy being missiled, if you can get about 90 meters in front of the guy being missiles, do it, and if you are the one being missiles try getting back enough so team mates are 90 meters in front of you this will let a single ams take out as many as 4 missiles as the 2.3 estimate per salvo is if YOU are the one being missiled, being 100 meters in front of the actual target lets the ams shoot at the missiles as they are coming at you, pass, and then are flying away
even better is if team mates are on hill (or has jump jets...) and you are below them, then have them stand a full 120 meters away from you, this is doable on caustic, if a team mate is being missiled try and hump the hull and have them down at base of hill so your ams can put in some real work

If you are a light and your team is simply being demolished with lrms and you are really bored...RUN with the missiles! if you are fast enough you can just run with the missiles and shoot down a sizable amount as the fastest dual ams mech can go 169km/h, which is 47 meters a second, essentially making the lrms go from 120 meters a second to 80, a 44% reduction! just start running when they are about 140 meters away....so they will be moving 80 meters a second and have to travel 240 meters to leave your ams field, taking 3 seconds, when normally the ams takes down 2.3 missiles a second, so you essentially have 6 ams if you have on 2

About range module: All in All the ams module is mehhh, it probably wont make a difference with 1 ams except against something with srms since 1 ams ALMOST destroys 1 srm and you stand at least 128 meters away then you may actually stop 1 srm with 1 ams, but against lrms you will probably need two ams for a proper difference, making it shoot down 5 instead of 4 about

Disclaimer:
This data was gathered in battle, unfortunately couldn't use custom match to test out some of the missiles fully since you need 24 people for that.......... so there is some stuff that MAY be off but the lrm per salvo destroyed is accurate for sure and the amount of damage the ams got in seemed to vary a bit...............

I got bored and was running the Lorm Chaser okay! DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4ee3bcfbf00a064

As you can guess, I do not get laid often....................

Posted Image

#23 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 01 June 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

I should make a poll to see how many people think 4 total ams would be fair on the atlas k, a ballistic and missile hard point traded for 3 ams hard points is fair right? 4 ams would mean with a bit of luck 10 lrms shot down if you are the target and just about standing still, I actually kind of feel the D and RS should have dual ams as well... ddc staying 1 ams of course

That would be... glorious. I bought the -K as one of my 3 Atlas variants for efficiency-unlocking. The other two were the -D(uh)DC and the -RS, just because the -D was so similar to the -DDC. Anyway, the -K was actually the most interesting to me. I had this vision of being a stalwart aggro machine, a tank for my team, drawing fire by virtue of being an Atlas (with rather pimptacular lavender colors, to boot) and surviving by virtue of not only Atlas armor, but multiple AMS...

But, that never really happened. Two AMS just wasn't enough to make that dream come true, even on a 'mech that gets focused as much as Atlas' do. It's just too slow. Four AMS would be amazing, though. Especially if PGI ever decides to add XP points and/or C-Bill rewards based on how many enemy missiles you knock out of the sky.

But, as much as I would love such a change (in point of fact, I would re-purchase the -K, and it would become the only permanent assault in my stable aside from my Stalker-5M) the -RS variant needs some love much more desperately, now that the Boar's Head is a thing. Four arm-mounted energy hardpoints, the -RS' only feature that distinguished it from the other non-MC variants, is pretty dumb when you can have six instead.

Anyway, even if PGI did increase the -K's AMS capacity, I doubt they'd give it more than three total. Even though four still wouldn't be anywhere near OP on such a slow 'mech. Still, thinking about it makes me drool :D

#24 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

View PostOvion, on 02 June 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

LCT-3M

Why settle for two, when you can have five(plus DHS!)?

Remember, endo-steel is your friend! And with all those lasers you WILL need the DHS. A couple of notes:

First, I very, very, very strongly recommend choosing MLs over SLs. The firepower put out for the same weight does go down, but only on paper. In practice, you can do ML's full damage three times farther out than you can do the SL's. You do NOT want to be close to the enemy - or even your own allies - in a Locust. Every collision is a major problem for your delicate little lady legs.

Second, don't be scared to lower your armor in a Locust. It seems counter-intuitive, I know. But in practice, those 5 or 8 extra armor points won't do a damn thing for you (especially once they get shivered off by your lightly brushing against other mechs, or hopping down apparently innocuous 2-meter cliffs). Your survivability doesn't go down much at all.

You DO want armor here:
Front CT
Legs
Arms, but not as critical as the above two - only because this is where your guns are, really

You do NOT really need much armor here:
1) Head - Self-explanatory. I have been headshotted in a Locust, but the thing is, with this mech, anything that does enough damage to destroy your head is gonna destroy or cripple you no matter where it hits. Seeing as the head is TINY, just leave it protected enough to survive the occasional fraction-of-a-second laser raking.

2) All STs - The Locust suffers from Jenner syndrome, same as the Dragon and Catapult. Huge CT. Small STs. The hitboxes aren't *quite* as drastically out of whack as on those three mechs, but, you're moving so fast that hardly anybody's gonna hit your STs anyway. Everyone aims CT on Locusts. And even when they miss, your arms block quite a bit. Frankly, you can leave your CTs at 6 front/2 rear and probably be fine 90% of the time

3) With your speed and twist range, there's no real reason you should be getting shot in the back often. So leave it low on the back. VERY low. You're really only putting points there so that the enemy doesn't see you have exposed internals when he looks at your paperdoll.

Third, move the AMS ammo into the arms and crit-pad that ****. Your arms probably won't get blown off before you die anyway, and if they do, the ammo has a truly miniscule chance of exploding with all that other stuff in there (4 other components per arm).

Alternatives configurations of the one linked above:
1) Remove the ton of ammo from the RIGHT arm. Move one DHS from the RIGHT arm to the LEFT arm. The ton of ammo in the left arm now has five other components to soak up crit hits. The AMS in that arm now has four, unless you want to count the ammo ton as well. You now have one ton of free weight - upgrade two SLs to MLs. I find that two tons of AMS ammo is almost always enough even for dedicated missile defense duty - in PuGs. I imagine this could be different in more serious, organized play.

2) Remove two tons of ammo. Not sure if it's better to leave the one remaining ton in the head or in the left, heavily crit-padded arm. Haven't noticed any real difference in survivability either way. With the two tons of free weight, upgrade all four arm SLs to MLs. You could also remove the SL and put eight more points of armor on each front ST, or remove half a ton of armor for a fifth ML or an eleventh heat sink. Both 4ML+SL and 5ML are pretty hot, and 4ML alone isn't much better, so the extra heat sink is probably the best choice, especially since your CT laser won't track along with your arm lasers. Anyway, the one ton of AMS ammo does run out quick, especially if you focus on team missile defense. It's usually enough for protecting yourself, though, plus some light missile defense here and there as needed.

3) Same as number 1, remove one ton of ammo from the right arm, move one DHS to the left arm. Now lower the right arm's armor to 8, each front ST to 6, and the head to 4. You have 1.5 free tons, and still possess top speed, two AMS, and two tons of ammo. Upgrade the CT and LA lasers to MLs. This is what I run. Still pretty hot, but the RA's two SLs are really just an extra little scratch for when a 3ML burst doesn't quite finish the job and I'm already in spitting range. An afterthought, really. You could change them for a single ML, and this would in theory run cooler - but you'd be firing that ML far more often, offsetting the increased cooling efficiency. In reality, you only use the three MLs most of the time. Plus, I like seeing something other than green or blue come out of my mech's laser ports :D

Edited by Bloodweaver, 05 June 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#25 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

The numbers are great, however these are based on missiles per second. AMS can fire a lot longer than that, before the missiles impact. The math for is is basically 2 missiles per second, and with AMS ER module you can up that to about 2.80 missiles per second.

#26 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:21 AM

of course its based on missiles per second....... lr missiles take a second to go from max ams range to reach the mech, so ams has a second to shoot at lrms lol and range boost is only an 8 meter boost to 120, I don't see a 7% increase in range being a 32% increase in performance (2 to 2.8)

View PostOvion, on 02 June 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

LCT-3M

Oh man.... 2LRM20 and 4LRM10...

That's 6 LRM20s worth of ghost heat whenever you fire the 80.... I wonder if the cat can even survive that.
pfft ghost heat *shrugs* LOL and I think all you people are missing the point of that locust, to be a cheap, fast mech for taking down lrms with dual ams and 3 tons of ammo, the only reason it even has a small laser is because you need a *valid weapon* to launch

#27 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

View PostBloodweaver, on 04 June 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

Why settle for two, when you can have five(plus DHS!)?

Remember, endo-steel is your friend! And with all those lasers you WILL need the DHS. A couple of notes:

First, I very, very, very strongly recommend choosing MLs over SLs. The firepower put out for the same weight does go down, but only on paper. In practice, you can do ML's full damage three times farther out than you can do the SL's. You do NOT want to be close to the enemy - or even your own allies - in a Locust. Every collision is a major problem for your delicate little lady legs.

Second, don't be scared to lower your armor in a Locust. It seems counter-intuitive, I know. But in practice, those 5 or 8 extra armor points won't do a damn thing for you (especially once they get shivered off by your lightly brushing against other mechs, or hopping down apparently innocuous 2-meter cliffs). Your survivability doesn't go down much at all.

You DO want armor here:
Front CT
Legs
Arms, but not as critical as the above two - only because this is where your guns are, really

You do NOT really need much armor here:
1) Head - Self-explanatory. I have been headshotted in a Locust, but the thing is, with this mech, anything that does enough damage to destroy your head is gonna destroy or cripple you no matter where it hits. Seeing as the head is TINY, just leave it protected enough to survive the occasional fraction-of-a-second laser raking.

2) All STs - The Locust suffers from Jenner syndrome, same as the Dragon and Catapult. Huge CT. Small STs. The hitboxes aren't *quite* as drastically out of whack as on those three mechs, but, you're moving so fast that hardly anybody's gonna hit your STs anyway. Everyone aims CT on Locusts. And even when they miss, your arms block quite a bit. Frankly, you can leave your CTs at 6 front/2 rear and probably be fine 90% of the time

3) With your speed and twist range, there's no real reason you should be getting shot in the back often. So leave it low on the back. VERY low. You're really only putting points there so that the enemy doesn't see you have exposed internals when he looks at your paperdoll.

Third, move the AMS ammo into the arms and crit-pad that ****. Your arms probably won't get blown off before you die anyway, and if they do, the ammo has a truly miniscule chance of exploding with all that other stuff in there (4 other components per arm).

Alternatives configurations of the one linked above:
1) Remove the ton of ammo from the RIGHT arm. Move one DHS from the RIGHT arm to the LEFT arm. The ton of ammo in the left arm now has five other components to soak up crit hits. The AMS in that arm now has four, unless you want to count the ammo ton as well. You now have one ton of free weight - upgrade two SLs to MLs. I find that two tons of AMS ammo is almost always enough even for dedicated missile defense duty - in PuGs. I imagine this could be different in more serious, organized play.

2) Remove two tons of ammo. Not sure if it's better to leave the one remaining ton in the head or in the left, heavily crit-padded arm. Haven't noticed any real difference in survivability either way. With the two tons of free weight, upgrade all four arm SLs to MLs. You could also remove the SL and put eight more points of armor on each front ST, or remove half a ton of armor for a fifth ML or an eleventh heat sink. Both 4ML+SL and 5ML are pretty hot, and 4ML alone isn't much better, so the extra heat sink is probably the best choice, especially since your CT laser won't track along with your arm lasers. Anyway, the one ton of AMS ammo does run out quick, especially if you focus on team missile defense. It's usually enough for protecting yourself, though, plus some light missile defense here and there as needed.

3) Same as number 1, remove one ton of ammo from the right arm, move one DHS to the left arm. Now lower the right arm's armor to 8, each front ST to 6, and the head to 4. You have 1.5 free tons, and still possess top speed, two AMS, and two tons of ammo. Upgrade the CT and LA lasers to MLs. This is what I run. Still pretty hot, but the RA's two SLs are really just an extra little scratch for when a 3ML burst doesn't quite finish the job and I'm already in spitting range. An afterthought, really. You could change them for a single ML, and this would in theory run cooler - but you'd be firing that ML far more often, offsetting the increased cooling efficiency. In reality, you only use the three MLs most of the time. Plus, I like seeing something other than green or blue come out of my mech's laser ports :)

That seems like a nice guide, why not make a thread for it?

#28 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

How did I not notice the lack of upgrades in the original xD

View PostJust wanna play, on 05 June 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

LOL and I think all you people are missing the point of that locust, to be a cheap, fast mech for taking down lrms with dual ams and 3 tons of ammo, the only reason it even has a small laser is because you need a *valid weapon* to launch
There's no reason to not have Endo.
It's 2-3 games to get, and your Locust should have it anyway.

Edited by Ovion, 05 June 2014 - 08:11 AM.

#29 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

This guide should be updated with AMS overload vs. AMS range module comparison.

#30 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

ABSOLUTELY AMS is worth every ounce of weight.

If more then 1 or 2 guys on your side have AMS on and are near each other, LRMs are effectively useless. I have watched swarms of LRMs just get blown right out of the sky and heard the "Warning, Incoming Missiles" only to move around a little and hear AMS going off, the resulting impact is minimal or non existant.

AMS by all rights might be a tiny bit to effective. When a side is boating AMS, as in, multiple mechs have them, LRMs are nullified and useless..

I see no good reason to not mount atleast one, except maybe if your a Summoner, they are lacking for space and weight already. But all other mechs, mount one. It will save you and your team countless hundreds of points of damage.

My only regret is my Warhawk cant mount 2.

#31 Coventry Metal Works

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationCoventry

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Greetings,

We here at Coventry Metal Works have been working hard to improve the effectiveness of the old Star League Anti-Missile System and are proud to give you the SureFire 444 AMS. CMW prides itself on producing the Inner Sphere's best missile systems and as such we have first hand knowledge of how to defeat missile weapons. Our engineers have been very successful in reconfiguring the SureFire to target not only targetted missile weapon attacks but also dumb-fire and indirect fire weapons as well as NARC missile beacons. The SureFire integrates with existing targetting systems to detect active missile locks and determine an origination orientation to better engage and destroy incoming missiles. Incorporating proximity sensors to detect high-velocity or high angle of attack weapons the 444 is able to react to salvos fired from SRM launchers within 120 meters. Ammunition is available in 1,000 round and 500 round pre-packaged boxes for easy installation and removal.

CMW also offers several upgrade modules for the SureFire. The MK-I Range software module interfaces with targetting software to improve the effective engagement range of the system by approximately six to eight meters. The MK-II Range module adds a small sensor booster to the system, increasing the range by approximately eight to sixteen meters.The AMS Overload module adds additional barrels to the weapon system as well as lighter weight components to increase the rate of fire by approximately 10%.

Please feel free to contact any of your CMW local offices for information on any of our products.

- Coventry Metal Works Public Affairs Office

#32 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostCoventry Metal Works, on 20 June 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

Greetings,

We here at Coventry Metal Works have been working hard to improve the effectiveness of the old Star League Anti-Missile System and are proud to give you the SureFire 444 AMS. CMW prides itself on producing the Inner Sphere's best missile systems and as such we have first hand knowledge of how to defeat missile weapons. Our engineers have been very successful in reconfiguring the SureFire to target not only targetted missile weapon attacks but also dumb-fire and indirect fire weapons as well as NARC missile beacons. The SureFire integrates with existing targetting systems to detect active missile locks and determine an origination orientation to better engage and destroy incoming missiles. Incorporating proximity sensors to detect high-velocity or high angle of attack weapons the 444 is able to react to salvos fired from SRM launchers within 120 meters. Ammunition is available in 1,000 round and 500 round pre-packaged boxes for easy installation and removal.

CMW also offers several upgrade modules for the SureFire. The MK-I Range software module interfaces with targetting software to improve the effective engagement range of the system by approximately six to eight meters. The MK-II Range module adds a small sensor booster to the system, increasing the range by approximately eight to sixteen meters.The AMS Overload module adds additional barrels to the weapon system as well as lighter weight components to increase the rate of fire by approximately 10%.

Please feel free to contact any of your CMW local offices for information on any of our products.

- Coventry Metal Works Public Affairs Office

This post, good sir, wins the HPG network. I hope ComStar commends your efforts.

#33 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 17 June 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

This guide should be updated with AMS overload vs. AMS range module comparison.

I would think the modules would not matter when the missiles are coming toward you as the ams only locks on once every .5 seconds roughly so increasing rate of fire or letting it start shooting earlier wouldnt hAVE Much of an impact, you would probably have to have both for either to be able make any impact if they are coming you, they wil how ever benefit if you are not the target and the ams isnt getting as much time as it would normally need to shoot down a missile or two, if one has dual ams the modules possibly become worthwhile, i shall find out soon in the future the specifics

#34 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 23 June 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

I would think the modules would not matter when the missiles are coming toward you as the ams only locks on once every .5 seconds roughly so increasing rate of fire or letting it start shooting earlier wouldnt hAVE Much of an impact, you would probably have to have both for either to be able make any impact if they are coming you, they wil how ever benefit if you are not the target and the ams isnt getting as much time as it would normally need to shoot down a missile or two, if one has dual ams the modules possibly become worthwhile, i shall find out soon in the future the specifics

AMS locks onto the entire salvo, so with both modules and movement, you will shoot down roughly 2-4 more missiles. If it's clan LRM, you might just shoot down the entire salvo. Especially if you have a mech with multiple AMS. THe Kitfox with 3xAMS renders any clan LRM boat useless, just by being there.

#35 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 June 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

AMS locks onto the entire salvo, so with both modules and movement, you will shoot down roughly 2-4 more missiles. If it's clan LRM, you might just shoot down the entire salvo. Especially if you have a mech with multiple AMS. THe Kitfox with 3xAMS renders any clan LRM boat useless, just by being there.

if that was the case, why does it only shot down 2 missiles in 1 second when it has the damage out put to destroy 3.5 missiles a second? only 2 missiles are being shot down to begin with 10% better rate of fire ain't gonna increase by so much, since at best 6 missiles per mech can be shot down and it can at best lock on to 6 missiles in that time span

Also, i just realized lrms got even faster, used to travel at 120 meters a second, now 160, ams has a range of 120, so they actually WILL get a benefit if one brings increased range and rof, those will probably help it kill the 2nd missile it no longer can in time before it hits, maybe...then again ams had unused damage out put to begin with so maybe not

Edited by Just wanna play, 24 June 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#36 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 23 June 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

if that was the case, why does it only shot down 2 missiles in 1 second when it has the damage out put to destroy 3.5 missiles a second? only 2 missiles are being shot down to begin with 10% better rate of fire ain't gonna increase by so much, since at best 6 missiles per mech can be shot down and it can at best lock on to 6 missiles in that time span

Also, i just realized lrms got even faster, used to travel at 120 meters a second, now 160, ams has a range of 120, so they actually WILL get a benefit if one brings increased range and rof, those will probably help it kill the 2nd missile it no longer can in time before it hits

10% increased rate of fire. Plus in my post I said movement, and ER module. Movement extends the flight time on Missiles, giving your AMS more time to hit.

If you are standing, then yes, your AMS will shoot down 1, maybe 2 missiles.

#37 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

IT does extend the fight time of missiles, but as i just explained here

View PostJust wanna play, on 23 June 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

if that was the case, why does it only shot down 2 missiles in 1 second when it has the damage out put to destroy 3.5 missiles a second when standing? that is proof it only locks onto 2 missiles a second, only 2 missiles are being shot down to begin with 10% better rate of fire ain't gonna increase it by so much, since at best 6 missiles per mech can be shot down and it can at best lock on to 6 missiles in that time span (which is running with missiles at 160 kph)

It is already clear the damage output of ams is not its limiting factor, and either way at best it will shoot down up to 6 missiles, it needs to lock on faster to do any better, the rof increases and range increases if anything are having an effect in less then optimal situations

#38 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 24 June 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

IT does extend the fight time of missiles, but as i just explained here

It is already clear the damage output of ams is not its limiting factor, and either way at best it will shoot down up to 6 missiles, it needs to lock on faster to do any better, the rof increases and range increases if anything are having an effect in less then optimal situations

Wouldn't the increased damage output (thus missile destruction happening faster) allow it to start the lock on cycle earlier/faster?

#39 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Well no its more of just at least half a second must past after the first lock-on to take place for the second lock on to occur, independent of how long it was actually shooting at the first lock on (not THAT much sense i know)

#40 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

A curious note, and bear in mind I have only seen this once, but I have actually seen the AMS of friendly mechs shoot down Missiles THROUGH the platform on Crimson Straights. I know this because my team was about 300m ahead of me underneath it, while I was charging over the top, and an entire volley of CLRMs just disappeared in front of me, while bullets came up off the tarmac. So AMS MAY actually be doing it's job through obstructions. It'll be interesting to verify this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users