Ask Russ Your Questions On Reddit!

478 replies to this topic

#81 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:18 AM

Are ECM, Flamer, Pulse, LBX, SRM and LRM all going to stay the way they are, with no imminent changes?

Also, what is your plan regarding COMMAND CONSOLE?

Edited by El Bandito, 22 May 2014 - 03:06 AM.

#82 Tekadept

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:22 AM

Awesome we can get the lies straight from the horses mouth :)

Edited by Tekadept, 22 May 2014 - 02:23 AM.

#83 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:33 AM

View PostNometh, on 21 May 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

Look up to the skies and see.

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy...

Oh wait, this went necro 2 pages ago.. ..good form WB, good form...

Edited by White Bear 84, 22 May 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#84 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:35 AM

I hope the summary of all questions and answers will be posted on these forums, as I would not like to think the Devs would be choosing to leave those of us who don't use social networking webservices out in the cold because we aren't the 'in' crowd.

And, I'm still waiting on the Command Chair post about the Clans.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 22 May 2014 - 02:40 AM.

#85 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:37 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 22 May 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

Maybe its just the lower tier teams using them then? I know someone whos in the tournament and he keeps mentioning that matches are either mass PPC/AC poptarts or jagermech ballistic boats. One he watched had like 10 jagermech ballistic boats, and in one match both him and the enemy team just camped and refused to engage till the enemy team rushed them at the last second to avoid a draw and his team won because they got a kill at the last second or something.

I seriously doubt any successful teams are boating lasers or missles, especially SRMs/streaks. Maybe a few med lasers as backup weapons or on lights. I doubt anyone here believes the final winner will be a team of HBK-4Ps boating lasers.

Its an unfortunate fact of reddit that they dont use the downvote option correctly. On some other older reddits they had to implement huge notices telling people not to downvote posts just because you dont agree, and to instead engage in constructive discussion over points raised. I think its really childish when you have someone trying to discuss an issue and people start spamming downvotes because they go "its a topic i dont like!!! SAGE SAGE SAGE!!!!".

The thing with Medium Lasers was half-serious (hence the smiley) but also true. House of Lords brought:
22xMedium Lasers
11xPPC
8xMG
8xAC5
2xGauss
2xERPPC
1x AC20

That's the horrible truth: we've had far more Medium Lazors than anything else. Actually at this point I will just say that that you don't really want to ask a question but rather want to make a point based on how you see the (meta)game. A more detailed description of "what happened" would be helpful.

For instance, I'd tell you that introducing conquest game mode for all maps would instantly and easily solve those "camping issues" you've mentioned.

Edited by Eglar, 22 May 2014 - 03:23 AM.

#86 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:06 AM

Can we post questions here? :)

1) The missile damage bug would have been obvious with any sort of regression testing. A scripted test match with full telemetry where you could compare the output would find almost all of the issues that you have released onto the live servers over the past two years. There must be a substantial flaw in your testing for such obvious issues to make it onto live ... have you made any changes to the testing process to address these issues?

2) What are the real drop statistics? Paul's infamous post first introducing the idea of 3/3/3/3 claimed 84% of players dropped solo and 16% in groups ... but his data stated "Launches" not players AND there are many matches that have more than one group on each team at the moment and most matches have at least one group. These experiences do not agree with the published statistics ... so either an error was made in the statistics ... or the time of day variations are so large that at times the majority of the player base are in groups while at others they are solo.

3) With the usual distribution of mechs chosen by the player base - usually favouring heavy and assault - the 3/3/3/3 plan can not work without huge queues developing. (The math is simple and has been posted on the forums multiple times). Trying to force the player base to choose mechs in 3/3/3/3 proportions will just lose players (if they can't or won't choose under-represented mechs to play) and will still generate large queues unless the distribution is perfectly even. What are the plans to address this issue? Is 3/3/3/3 dead in the water?

The kind of variability suggested in question 2 - is incompatible with the 3/3/3/3 1 group/side matchmaker plan. So ... given the realities ... do you have any plans to change the matchmaker design to create balanced matches with minimized queue times? What are those design changes?

4) Given that you you only have 3 game engineers, 3 system engineers and 2 UI engineers ... the summer is coming up when most folks take vacation ... and your statement that CW would be done in the fall of 2014 as a worst case scenario ... can you please REALISTICALLY update the CW delivery timeline?

#87 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

View PostEglar, on 22 May 2014 - 02:37 AM, said:

The thing with Medium Lasers was half-serious (hence the smiley) but also true. House of Lords brought:
22xMedium Lasers
11xPPC
8xMG
8xAC5
3xGauss
2xERPPC

That's the horrible truth: we've had far more Medium Lazors than anything else.

While that is of course true by the quantity, that's also obviously because Medium Lasers take so little space and tonnage. Here's where you put the tonnage, which paints quite a different picture:

77 tons of PPCs
64 tons of AC5s + ammo
45 tons of Gauss + ammo
22 tons of Medium Lasers
14 tons of ERPPCs
4 tons of MGs + ammo

Unsurprisingly, 88% of the weapon mass you brought (not including ammo) was pinpoint frontloaded damage dealing ones. Now, this is obviously biased in the other extreme, but I thought it was still worth mentioning.

#88 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:28 AM

View PostJakob Knight, on 22 May 2014 - 02:35 AM, said:

I hope the summary of all questions and answers will be posted on these forums, as I would not like to think the Devs would be choosing to leave those of us who don't use social networking webservices out in the cold because we aren't the 'in' crowd.

And, I'm still waiting on the Command Chair post about the Clans.

People who don't use reddit are on an island.

#89 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:31 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 21 May 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Why don't you guys go to /mwo? it has 4 times the population of HPG, you'll reach more people that way.

They aren't the target audience, they are on an island

#90 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:38 AM

Question:

If CW go live one day, and I am member of some Merc Corp, and I just play in a normal public match like now, becomes my Merc Corp some points/CB/whatever after/from me?

#91 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:41 AM

View PostTekadept, on 22 May 2014 - 03:28 AM, said:

People who don't use reddit are on an island.

your hurt. Did someone one wound you?. Russ said that because someone was complaining about something real specific that no one else had a problem with, save a small portion of players. Yes, i do say a very small portion of players.

Unfortunately i lost track of that post and the conversation but i can relate it to the whining Sandpit and friends where doing about 3/3/3/3. After whining on Twitter; he came to the forums where he knew he would get backing, to find justification in his reasoning. Some of the poorest reasoning i ever had the displeasure of reading.

Someone give me a link if they still have track of it.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 22 May 2014 - 03:42 AM.

#92 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:41 AM

You know, every time Russ has opened his mouth to address community concerns in the past it has never ended well.

#93 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

View PostKyynele, on 22 May 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

While that is of course true by the quantity, that's also obviously because Medium Lasers take so little space and tonnage. Here's where you put the tonnage, which paints quite a different picture:

77 tons of PPCs
64 tons of AC5s + ammo
45 tons of Gauss + ammo
22 tons of Medium Lasers
14 tons of ERPPCs
4 tons of MGs + ammo

Unsurprisingly, 88% of the weapon mass you brought (not including ammo) was pinpoint frontloaded damage dealing ones. Now, this is obviously biased in the other extreme, but I thought it was still worth mentioning.

Yup, medium lasers are 'filler' weapons on all fronts, not just tournaments. They do decent damage and fill spots you can't fill with bigger things.

Jun's question is valid, there is enough discussion about it on the forums to warrant it being included.

My question is how far away is assault mode and some of the modes for community warfare?

#94 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:48 AM

Hm. Good luck in this. You're likely stepping in front of a very venomous crowd at the moment.

#95 Nometh

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:52 AM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 22 May 2014 - 02:33 AM, said:

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy...

Oh wait, this went necro 2 pages ago.. ..good form WB, good form...

There's no need to let this die because I'm easy come, easy go.

#96 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:05 AM

Are those flags a joke?
Non of this states may have survived the 2nd Cold War nor the 2nd Sovjet Civil War.

I thought with the "ice cream" that you ignore the lore even harder but you did.
Yes its a game - and a the major part of this community know as much about the Inner Sphere as the people of the Inner Sphere may know something about a country called Germany - with the Flag of the Weimarer Republic - all they may know that there was something like a World War II

Forget it, May players mount in there cockpits what they want, I don't have to

Edited by Karl Streiger, 22 May 2014 - 04:17 AM.

#97 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:16 AM

View PostNometh, on 22 May 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

There's no need to let this die because I'm easy come, easy go.

I am a little high, little low...

#98 Hood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

I call for a vote of no confidence..

#99 Amerante

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:30 AM

1) Do you plan to extend mech skill trees, or something that mech xp can be further used for?
(For those who already bought the modules they want, and mastered the variants.)

2)Any chance to smurfy like fitting?

3)Do you consider redesigning some of the current mech giving additional edge? for example an atlas variant with a shoulder mounted ballistic slot?

4)Do you plan make mech types of the same weightclass feel more unique? (plenty of suggestions on the forums)

5)One shared cockpit for all mechs? so we don't have to put the items from one mech to the other?
(I would definitly consider buying some of those then)

6)Loyalty points: When will we have them? What will we be able to buy with them?

Edited by Amerante, 22 May 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#100 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

My question is:

As a solo player will I be able to jump in and help different merc units assault planets in Community Warfare if they are short of players?

An example being that Merc Corp X is attacking Merc Corp Y but they only happen to have 11 of their 12 members online at that point, Can they pull in a solo merc in to fill out the numbers in game? It would allow pugs to be involved in a bit more of mercenary side of CW and allow Merc Units a way of recruiting new members.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users