• Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

View Postwanderer, on 28 May 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

Attempting to control opinions

Everyone is acting immature. PGI is failing to own up to its own mistakes. It is failing to admit that 3/3/3/3 and ELO are not sustainable, especially with the current number of active players. People are getting frustrated and saying mean things right back. Some people point to Victor Morison and others who have criticized many design choices, mostly conceived by Paul and say they are overly negative.

I feel they are relatively realistic. Some people walk around this forum and claim there are no problems with various parts of the game. Some people claim matchmaker/ELO are working as intended and that game play is where it should be. When not all is well. These people usually end up bringing the worst out of the community. I know I am guilty of letting them get under my skin.

I am just sick and tired of watching all this infighting. I am sick of people trying to drown out any reasonable criticism with a flood of posts saying that problems don't exist. Some people's experiences are different from everyone elses and just because you haven't had those experiences doesn't mean they don't exist.

I feel its these issues that are leading to the feeling that PGI has an army of opinion police out to put everyone down. If everyone respects each other's opinions without refuting them and saying they have no merit maybe some positive change can come.

Edited by SLDF DeathlyEyes, 28 May 2014 - 04:17 AM.

#122 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

I don't have a reddit account, but browse both on a shallow level. While /r/mwo does have its share of people who hate lots, Outreach sometimes appears to be willfully blind to the many issues affecting the game in favour of discussing which exorbitant camos they are going to buy next, and rarely has anything worth looking at on the front page.

I see no more hate on /r/mwo than I do on these forums, although due to Reddit's laxer moderation restrictions it tends to take on a more colourful form.

Regardless of whether PGI posts there or not, they're still fans of the IP and willing to give you money if they feel you're worth it - and their ideas and (relevant) feedback are not to be dismissed out of hand just because you don't like what you're reading. This entire fiasco seems ludicrous, and your handling of it, Niko, is heavy handed at best. Claiming that the entire reddit is full of people that have been banned, really?

#123 fil5000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

http://www.reddit.co...for_an_apology/

Looks like it went down really well over at Outreach.

#124 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:43 AM

Mostly there has been little constructive feedback in this thread.
Mostly there has been exaggeration and rudeness.
The pettiness is astonishing in it's vitriol!
I love the carefully crafted replies that degenerate in the last two sentences into trolling!
Check out the link! This SeriousTable dude is a kook!
" [color=#000000]You came to me, asking for advice with how to interface with the community on Reddit, especially [/color]/r/mwo[color=#000000]. I remember telling you to keep in mind that [/color]/r/mwo[color=#000000] is full of [/color]passionate[color=#000000] Mechwarrior players, people who want to see the franchise succeed and flourish. I'm immensely disappointed that that advice appears to have fallen on deaf ears."[/color]
That is advice? Really? That is a statement! "The sky is Blue!" "Eating is pleasurable!" "The community is passionate!" HAHAHAHAHAHA
"O.K. patients, medication time!"

Wild! I had no idea that there are so many crazies out there that others listen to.

Anyhoo, keep it up! I'm enjoying this slice of drama.

#125 Poppaukko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 236 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:14 AM

View Postfil5000, on 28 May 2014 - 04:31 AM, said:

Looks like it went down really well over at Outreach with Serious Table.

Fixed. Outreach is not a democracy.

#126 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

Im lossed. Can someone please sum this up for me?

#127 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

Fan communities come and go. Sadly, sometimes they go just because some individuals have a seriously inflated image of their self-importance. I hope this will at least serve as a life lesson to the unfunny furniture guy.

Edited by Kyynele, 28 May 2014 - 05:23 AM.

#128 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

View PostBlood Rose, on 28 May 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

Im lossed. Can someone please sum this up for me?

Niko's comments pissed off the guy who has power over the HPG subreddit and now if Niko doesn't apologize that subreddit (which PGI uses as it's semi official subreddit) will be shutdown.

Edited by SLDF DeathlyEyes, 28 May 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#129 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

Oh dear. That didn't work out as you expected at all did it?

#130 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

probably posted already... but what the hey... i'm known for rubbing things in...

a facepalm... a facepalm for my kingdom...

Posted Image

#131 Goosfraba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

View PostSLDF DeathlyEyes, on 28 May 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Niko's comments pissed off the guy who has power over the HPG subreddit and now if Niko doesn't apologize that subreddit (which PGI uses as it's semi official subreddit) will be shutdown.

Really? This is getting better than Game of Thrones. :ph34r:

#132 Aeolus Drift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

Boy this escalated quickly.

#133 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:52 AM

Posted Image

#134 StandingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:53 AM

Are any of you honestly surprised by this? With niko it was only a matter of time...

#135 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

Ah, thanks.

#136 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

I'm with you Niko. Drop reddit or keep it. I really don't care.

#137 Damocles69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:28 AM

So, to sum up.

There are mean people on reddit who hurt your feelings. So you are taking your ball and going home.
Ya that seems mature

Also, I should state that the complete lack of professionalism in the handeling of this situation is shamfull. You are an employee of a professional company. Act like it. Do not condemned paying customers because they didn't deliver suget coated feedback due to dissatisfaction with your product.

Make your product better!

Edited by Damocles69, 28 May 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#138 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

I am not saying that /r/mwo has some lousy users but /r/mwo totally has some lousy users.

#139 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:30 AM

For what it's worth, I am truly happy that the responses to the ultimatum are for most part very level-headed, and I'm absolutely (heim)delighted to see some of the very high profile players talking sense. The community isn't as bad as some of the loud ones make it look like. Worst comes to worst, there will be a new official MWO reddit. Life goes on. :ph34r:

#140 Aeolus Drift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 28 May 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

Well, this got some people's attention and even woke up a few inactives!

Indeed, r/mwo had around 4000 subscribers...While many have changed hubs with the change of it's moderation team and the removal it's moderation standards, in past months: Many others remain, and some have been painted as the targets of my messages in this thread. I'd like to take a moment to add an additional apology to those people: Whether they are an impassioned pilot who has never been intentionally abusive towards a staff member or another player, or whether they are a casual who has just stumbled into the crossfire.

To those people I would like to clarify where my frustrations lie...it is with individuals.

It is with those individuals who believe that negative feedback must exclusively be given with insult, and who demean those who try to provide critical constructive feedback without the urge to denigrate others. They may seem funny, but they ultimately aren't helping you or us when they replace legitimate feedback by brute forcing their way into each subject.

It is with those individuals who would declare that we do not communicate enough, and then either intentionally misquote staff by putting insults directed to the Community in our mouths, or downvote any links or information we provide to remove it from view. They aren't making prophet of a bleak future, they are attempting to fulfill it.

It is with those individuals who proclaim the need for freedom of speech and democracy when the moderators have addressed them for vulgar behavior, and yet happen to also run multiple accounts for the purpose of giving their voices more weight than any other player. Not only are they often shoving your individual and personal opinions further from our view to promote their own, but they have often tried to rally you against us each time we have quietly tried to bring them back to equal footing with other players.

It is with such individuals who see entertainment in manipulating others beyond the game. Those who have proudly admitted that they seek to waste the time of our Support or Dev staff or see the game burn. Such individuals are clearly not out to promote MechWarrior regardless of their attachment to past games.

Such things are upsetting: And I believe it should also upset those who who really consider themselves fans or simply out to better the game mad too. The best news is there are numerous ways for fans to channel that anger into something positive in ways our team alone cannot. It is to keep talking, even in the face of those who would tell you to shut up. It is to report those who are abusive rather pretend it never happened. It is to respond to those who spread obvious half-truthes to give the actual word. Examples of all such behaviors have been demonstrated last night. I'm certainly not asking each player to shine sparkles and fandom on every thread, but simply to ignore their inhibition to post otherwise civil and constructive feedback.

To those who have provided feedback in the past and feel slighted by the fact that they were not directly responded to, or that their concerns were not addressed soon enough for their preference: I can only ask that you hold tight and keep your feedback handy. Please be ready to update it if relevant, and e-link it to us as needed as we make more of an active effort to take in concerns for the hot-topic subjects. Likewise, I appreciate the patience of those players who wait for their top concerns to appear in the pipeline.

Where, in the past, a retail paywall would allow staff to simply force such individuals out of context immediately with a banishment: The growth of social media and of freemium gaming means all games have had to adapt to such individuals. Nobody, be it a Doctor of Virtual Anthropology nor a "Fedora-wearing amateur" will be able to accomplish the job of speaking on behalf of the Community or the team if the players are being overrun and directed by such individuals as I have described before.

The individuals I have described to you before have been repeatedly addressed through private messages, support tickets and moderation and yet continue to spend the equivalent of a work week in attempts to harass and manipulate our team and players. To those players who are truly passionate and who can make a difference by speaking out with cool heads,

I apologize once more for this matter, it's distraction from other feedback concerns, and any change in view of me it may have given you. I may indeed like to portay myself as an insane person, but it is said that the definition of insanity is trying the same thing multiple times and expecting different results. There will indeed be greater communication to all players just as much as there will be less priority and attention given to those toxic individuals. All we need is for you to keep talking or start talking. While my intent was to drive your activity to a safer place, it seems others have seen fit to portray it otherwise.

Thank you for sticking by and have a good day. :ph34r:

NIko, listen. I know Mechwarrior_Buddah senpai (or his many alts) has never really noticed you in a positive light, but that doesn't mean you have to take it out on everyone else.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users