Completely Unstable/random Fps - Driving Me Insane

12 replies to this topic

#1 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

I already made a thread about this but no one attempted to help me, hopefully this time is different.

Basically, I'm getting 100+ FPS on EVERY map on Mech Warrior Online. This is on LOW settings except for Object Detail and Environment on HIGH at 1080P full screen (1920x1080).

I started playing this game again just in the past 2 weeks, and started noticing the game felt incredibly, ungodly laggy randomly. I just started hitting F9 to see the FPS and was shocked to see it was 40fps constant and that not only was the FPS low but there was incredible input lag on the mouse (feels like 200-300ms of delay when clicking mouse button 1 to fire) and when swiveling the mouse around to aim, it overcompensates and feels completely garbage.

My first thought was to reboot as I had it happen to me a few times in Battlefield 3 and people told me it was a glitch (low FPS glitch that would boot you into a server with <50fps even though I normally got 200)

Rebooting WORKED. I would play the SAME map and get 100+FPS (please don't tell me "FPS matters on each map differently" I already know that duh)

So now, no matter what I do, I can play 5 or 10 or 20 games but I will get a game where it will be all messed up /low FPS/unplayable. I have to basically Disconnect since I refuse to play with it all glitched out like that.

I JUST uninstalled MWO and reinstalled it today and was getting 150-160FPS on crimson straight and some other maps when ONCE AGAIN, I got the 40 fps bug.

I have my i7 4770k overclocked to 4.5ghz and my GTX680 with a +375MHz overclock on the core and +75 on the memory, which I do NOT suspect is the issue because I have run those settings for ~2 years in Battlefield 3/Battlefield 4 and would get 150-200fps CONSTANTLY.

My next step is to re-format and install a fresh Windows 8 but I am dreading it and really hoping I can find the issue/problem before resorting to that time consuming step.

Does anyone have any tips/help? Please do NOT tell me the obvious and I would prefer help from people who are experienced with computers, I KNOW someone, atleast one person in these forums has had to experience this same issue.

Edited by E N E R G Y, 28 May 2014 - 01:03 AM.

#2 AdultPuppetShow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 165 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSpace Texas

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:07 AM

This might come across as being a bit douchey, but have you tried submitting a support ticket?

Also, I would kill for 40 FPS.

#3 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:47 AM

I did a search and came up with this link:

http://www.reddit.co...rs_issues_with/

I don't know if this relates to your issue, as MWO is not specifically mentioned, and I don't know if the last time you played you were on 8.0 and recently went to 8.1. I myself don't use Windows 8 and likely never will until forced to, so I can't give you personal experience. But when I read the article it seemed it might be relevant. Good luck.

#4 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

View PostAdultPuppetShow, on 28 May 2014 - 01:07 AM, said:

This might come across as being a bit douchey, but have you tried submitting a support ticket?

Yeah , but when you get over +100FPS constantly!? You would feel disgusted with 40FPS. Also, it's NOT Just the low FPS as I stated above, something is clearly wrong because I get INSANE input lag on the mouse, it's almost as if the game corrupted itself and only a reboot can fix it.

And I have not submitted a support ticket, since, I have 99% confidence that MWO would probably take weeks to respond and it would be redundant "answer" that I already know/familiar with.

I had a feeling I was going to just have to re-install anyway, since it's too damn hard to pin-point it.

View PostGolrar, on 28 May 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

I did a search and came up with this link:

http://www.reddit.co...rs_issues_with/

I don't know if this relates to your issue, as MWO is not specifically mentioned, and I don't know if the last time you played you were on 8.0 and recently went to 8.1. I myself don't use Windows 8 and likely never will until forced to, so I can't give you personal experience. But when I read the article it seemed it might be relevant. Good luck.

I think I was running Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate when the game released in 2012 and used that up to 2013 April.

I got windows 8 around fall 2013 and upgraded to 8.1 when Microsoft released that "free upgrade"

I'm skimming through the article right now, and I find it interesting.

The only thing I am puzzled with is that I ACTUALLY get a good 20~ games or so with no LAG and HIGH FPS, it's about 100+!

I wonder if this is just MechWarrior Online compatibility issues with Windows 8.1?
I noticed EVEN when I click "exit game" in MechWarrior Online browser, the browser always freezes on "CONNECTING"!

It's like my MWO client/install is corrupted but I already tried uninstalling /reinstalling unless some registry files got left over.

Edited by E N E R G Y, 28 May 2014 - 10:05 AM.

#5 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

EDIT** I have now read your 1st Post, You are on SSD, damn.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 28 May 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#6 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

I get that "Connecting..." bug sometimes when logging out as well. I have narrowed it down to clicking too fast. If I exit a match and logout real quick, I get the "connecting..." at the login screen. But if I wait for the refresh in the Mechlab before logging out it doesn't happen. I think that is just a weird bug and doesn't really have anything to do with your initial issue.

#7 Sajuk Kar

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

It might not be an exact answer, but what you are experiencing sounds sort of like what me and some other people experienced during the beta. This game seems to have terrible memory leaks sometimes, which is basically the game taking the memory of your graphics card ( the VRAM), and never giving it back like it's supposed to, so after you've played for a while, the memory runs out, and the only way it can keep running is start writing swap files on your hard drive and whatnot. It used to be called the "4 fps bug", but since you have such high frame rates, you get the "40 fps bug". Rebooting your computer resets the memory and therefore the problem, until the game eats up all the memory again. There is no way to fix it short of better coding/optimization of the game/ getting a graphics card with more VRAM.

#8 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:20 AM

lol

OP should try with 16ish FPS and a 300 ping!

#9 Astennu

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNederlands

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

I have the same problem. Normally 130-190 FPS and sometimes huge drops.
I also noticed that if you have a still image and just do nothing the FPS is for example 62-67. But if you wait a few min it starts to drop to 48 and if you wait longer even 30-35.

If you then press alt + tab and return to game the FPS goes back to 62-67 again. Seems like some kind of leak.

#10 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

Turn your particles to LOW...

It sounds like your getting the "OLD" 40 frames a second Bug that was the 4 frames per second bug that WE used to get in closed and early open BETA.

I use to get that all the time, once a night no matter what.
I haven't gotten it in a long, long time..

If you can play 10 matches with no lag bug, then you're doing better then WE used to have it in closed BETA.

You don't have to reformat, it didn't help back in the day during closed BETA.
Run the MWO repair tool and come back in and tell us what happened.

Also there is config file that you can tweak that might help you out, but I don't have that saved or handy on this computer i'm on at the moment.

Edited by Odins Fist, 19 June 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#11 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

I have the same feeling, but when I started to play I was getting 4 to 6 fps. Later I looked at my system and realized, how am I even running the game.

Now I run around 15 fps, and looking for a new computer. Also not using a wireless mouse and router for a laptop. Also I can play at this frame rate, just it is hard to brawl or play a sniper.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

It really sounds memory-related. Whether it's system RAM or VRAM I couldn't tell you (but you could find this out on your end, there are utilities to track VRAM usage like GPU-Z, Afterburner, etc). I have noticed that after an hour or so of playing, system RAM usage for me sometimes goes about 1GB. This is technically not bad, but it does look like there is at least one memory leak still out there. If, for some ridiculous reason, you only built your system with 4GB of system RAM, I would gander that is your problem. It is more likely that it's VRAM, though.

#13 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

Do you know how hot your CPU is getting during game? You can use HWmonitor pro to record your temps while in game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users