Warhorn Mute

30 replies to this topic

Poll: Warhorn mute setting (112 member(s) have cast votes)

Should players be able to disable warhorn sound effects?

1. Yes (56 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (56 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

This game already lacks an immersive feel. The last thing I want to hear is a cacaphony of ridiculous sound bites during an intense battle. I am gritting my teeth just imagining two Heavy Metals at once, I don't think I can tolerate a whole team.

#2 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

I asked Paul about this and he said they were going to reduce the range of the horns (which they did). Unfortunately he also said that they weren't looking into a "mute" option yet :huh:

Also, why are people voting no? You don't have to use it if you like the horns. It's an option.

#3 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

I hate hearing war horns and like voip it should be disabled by a single option.
after all if they made it where you can mute the annoying voip how hard or what reason would they not allow people to mute war horns.

#4 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

View PostGreyGriffin, on 30 May 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

This game already lacks an immersive feel. The last thing I want to hear is a cacaphony of ridiculous sound bites during an intense battle. I am gritting my teeth just imagining two Heavy Metals at once, I don't think I can tolerate a whole team.

"Immersive" if you want to have an immersive BT experience you can't remove BT out of the picture.

"Warhorns" is a thing in lore. Removing it is just like saying in a WWII game. "I do not like decals and logos on the vehicles, they break the immersion"

Source: Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostWolfways, on 05 July 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

I asked Paul about this and he said they were going to reduce the range of the horns (which they did). Unfortunately he also said that they weren't looking into a "mute" option yet :(

Also, why are people voting no? You don't have to use it if you like the horns. It's an option.

Because some people like lore and also people who spent money on war horns did it for a reason.

Add a mute button and you might as well reduce the price by 50% because it's nothing much but a moving mounted cockpit item that only you and 1 or 2 people hear...

#5 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

how so?
people buy war horns for themselves NOT FOR ME or for ANYONE else.
muting war horns for those who do not want to hear it is no different that those who don't like or hate voip. there is an option for use to turn it off for a reason.

how is that any different than that?

Edited by VinJade, 28 February 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#6 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:53 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 28 February 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

Add a mute button and you might as well reduce the price by 50% because it's nothing much but a moving mounted cockpit item that only you and 1 or 2 people hear...

I think the number of people muting them would be a minority. Their use is pretty popular.

I want them to add mute so that they can also turn the volume and range back up for everyone else. As it is now they are nerfed for the complaints of a minority who think horns/drums/bright flags and armor etc are not a realistic part of warfare even though history proves otherwise.

Dull camo warfare is a modern thing, the warrior culture of battletech would be loud and proud to display bright house/clan colors and play victory sounds to taunt the opposition.

#7 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

Joe,
I don't care about the paint what I care about is the toxic waste you call war horns.
you bought them, good for you.
voip is no different than war horns and to mute them should always be an option.
and there are more of us than you think joe, its just egotistical of people to think other wise.

#8 PocketAces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEverywhere yet nowhere

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostVinJade, on 28 February 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

how so?
people buy war horns for themselves NOT FOR ME or for ANYONE else.
muting war horns for those who do not want to hear it is no different that those who don't like or hate voip. there is an option for use to turn it off for a reason.

how is that any different than that?

I bought them so that you feel ridiculed when I killed you and I could drink your tears.

#9 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:57 AM

1. If PGI produce an option to mute warhorns, then people who use (AND PURCHASE) warhorns will stop spending their MC on something that everyone else is muting. This would inevitably result in a financial loss for PGI, so don't hold your breath. VOIP is free so it doesn't affect them muted or not.

2. Warhorns have tactical purposes. VOIP does too, but that needs a mute option to prevent/reduce abuse. The whole strategic purpose of a warhorn is that it can't be muted. If there was a mute warhorn feature, they would be tactically worthless. If muting warhorns is the same as muting VOIP, then I should also be able to mute impact sounds, screen shake, and screen flashes when getting hit by AC/2 dakkas.

3. If Warhorns offend your sensitive roleplay preferences, then surely Decals, Colours, and Camos are next on the list.
Do pink-blue mechs with "WIN LOL" decals pasted on it fit into your brand of immersion?
Oh wait, is that Battletech lore? The "Pink-Blue WIN LOL" brigade?

What you're getting at is basically the biggest problem faced by roleplayers in all online games; You want full immersion into the game theme and universe, but a lot of other players prefer to skim on top of the game theme, stylistically doing whatever entertains them, in or out of the game lore.

The only way to guarantee true immersion is single player or, if you can set it up, private multiplayer roleplay (IE: private servers). If you investigate it, there may be a way for you to set up a private MW4 server to roleplay safely with your friends, true to the battletech lore. A unit mate of mine actually got MW4 working on Windows 10 just the other day, so it may be possible.

View PostInsects, on 28 February 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

Dull camo warfare is a modern thing, the warrior culture of battletech would be loud and proud to display bright house/clan colors and play victory sounds to taunt the opposition.

AMEN! So true, it really destroys this silly whining against what is a strategic and true-to-lore game feature.

Edited by Generic Internetter, 30 April 2017 - 01:08 AM.

#10 Pr8Dator2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCareer Clanner

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:13 AM

Bright colors, taunting noises... ARE LORE! Period. Get over it! This is what battletech is about!

In fact, you know what's lore? We should be able to open channel to each other's mech and be able to swear and curse at each other!

Edited by Pr8Dator2, 01 May 2017 - 02:14 AM.

#11 MannyCalavera656

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

IMHO, warhorns make the game much more fun ton play. I add warhorns to all my mechs. Warhorns are the taunt at the end of a good mech kill. It's make me angry when I hear a warhorn after I get killed, but it's very satisfying to hear it when I get a kill.

#12 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:05 AM

It's actually very simple.

If i'm alive I should be able to hear warhorns. Mine, my allies, my opponents.
If i'm dead I should not be able to hear warhorns. I'm dead, I shouldn't be able to hear anything.

Mute warhorns for dead players.

#13 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Would be fun to be able to active your warhorn when you want, lol, like on the K9 !

Yep i'm trolling...

#14 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

Mute, sure, but allow the option of muting all, just the enemy, or everyone except yourself.

#15 Vidarion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:57 AM

Voted no. As people have mentioned, warhorns are part of lore. That in itself is enough for me to vote no on it. The fact that there are warhorns that only activate when you die is another reason to not mute them. What's the point of a warhorn that activates when you die if other people can mute them?

The fact that warhorns cost MC and, as a result, are a source of income for PGI makes it incredibly unlikely for them to have any incentive to give you the option of muting them.

#16 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

So... not allowing the OPTION is good because?

The only legitimate rationale I can think of is dev time.

Otherwise, why force people to listen to something they don't want? You want to hear the warhorns, great, leave them on. Somebody else wants them off, or some of them off, they can do so. Everybody should be happy that way?

#17 Vidarion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

View PostInsanity09, on 03 November 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Otherwise, why force people to listen to something they don't want? You want to hear the warhorns, great, leave them on. Somebody else wants them off, or some of them off, they can do so. Everybody should be happy that way?

That's what the volume controls in the game are for. You don't want to hear one particular effect in the game, turn down the volume. Don't ask for the ability to mute a very specific sound effect type in the game. That's like asking to mute air strike hits.

#18 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

There are three choices for that (not including master).

Effects. Things like footsteps, shots fired, or explosions/shots hitting nearby.
Music. Self-explanatory.
Dialog. I assumed this is voice announcements like the beginning of match comments, Conq score bits, and things like betty.

That's the sum total of granularity for volume control. Not much.

Horns are not in music (I've got that at zero), effects actually have utility, dialog includes, among other things, the team command stuff that you kinda need to hear (at least it helps your team do better), so there is no non-game impacting way to "just turn the volume down".
Hence the request.
Nice try.

As an added point, in dialog, you can already "turn specific sounds off" game mode dialog, bitchin betty, etc., so there is even some precedent.

#19 d00mchild

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:03 AM

please add this option. sometimes the battlefield sounds like a circus having a crash with the sound libary of a beginning sound designer. its horrible. its bs. i dont want it. i put money on this game too. and i want the warhorns gone. everybody who like the warhorn... knock yourself out. let em have it. but leave it out for me.

generaly id think warhorns in the way off intimidation tactics while starting the attack would be interesting
like this:

or like the ride off the valkyrs in Full Metal Jacket. i would be down for that.

But the existing warhorns are jack in the box or a laughing duck (or whatever that april fools thing is supposed to be), folk music, christmas bells, bagpipes, several animals, several synth sounds ect.

this is just sooo random. and for my it takes a lot of the atmosphere away. it does not aim towards a something. its all directions at once. and to play them when u get a kill is just a poor adaptation of the famous "MULTIKILL" and "FIRST BLOOD" announcements from several arena shooters. but is MWO a arena shooter. or does it try to be? i dont think so.

Edited by d00mchild, 22 May 2018 - 12:32 PM.

#20 TheoLu

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNapier, South Africa

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

Warhorns serve to taunt slain enemies. They can actually give your position away too if you're playing against a few semi-coordinated guys who know each others' warhorns, only to have Donald Duck laughing behind them out of the blue.

So no, I don't think there should be an option to mute them. If y'don't like hearing them, consider stepping a few dozen meters further away from other people so you won't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users