• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 31 May 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Canadian Law at that.

Very different sets of Laws up there, then here, plus HG would have to try and throw a fuss via international Laws too....either way PGI wins and HG gets the stuffing they so richly deserve.

Though, part of the problem is that PGI & IGP may very well be unable to fiscally afford to fight Harmony Gold in the courtroom; HG probably has deeper pockets than both of them combined, and simply has to draw out the fight long enough for PGI & IGP to either surrender, or run out of capital & ultimately dissolve.
It's basically the same thing that happened to FASA; even if the fight against HG is winnable, the victory would be Pyrrhic at best.

----------

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

as are

Marauder II
Posted Image
Posted Image
Marauder IIC
Posted Image

Basically, these versions are the ReSeen
Marauder
Posted Image
Marauder II
Posted Image
Marauder IIC
Posted Image

But even those have been redacted in newer publications, apparently due to possible continued pressure from HG.

You left out the Marauder made for the Japanese BattleTech release (which, ironically, was done by Studio Nue, creators of Macross... and, not being in-house work by FASA or CGL, is probably technically "unseen"):

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

-_-

Edited by Strum Wealh, 31 May 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#22 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 31 May 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

Though, part of the problem is that PGI & IGP may very well be unable to fiscally afford to fight Harmony Gold in the courtroom; HG probably has deeper pockets than both of them combined, and simply has to draw out the fight long enough for PGI & IGP to either surrender, or run out of capital & ultimately dissolve.
It's basically the same thing that happened to FASA; even if the fight against HG is winnable, the victory would be Pyrrhic at best.

----------

You left out the Marauder made for the Japanese BattleTech release (which, ironically, was done by Studio Nue, creators of Macross... and, not being in-house work by FASA or CGL, is also probably rechnically "unseen"):

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

-_-

Pretty sure he already knew the basic Marauder, by the answers before mine.

#23 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

I have no love for HG and IANAL but they may not own all the rights here. The unseen may be property of Studio Nue/Big West instead. It seems to me it would take lots of money to lawyers to figure out who IGP would need to pay before they could even consider paying:

http://www.terrania....ech-second.html

I was misunderstanding what the divided rights meant. In fact, they mean that Tatsunoko (in Japan, and hence Harmony Gold outside of Japan) has the exclusive right to distribute and merchandise the Macross show that’s been made already and all elements within it; Big West and Studio Nue have the exclusive right to make new derivative works based on those elements. This could have interesting implications for the planned Robotech live-action movie. (Though it does set up the question of whether the BattleTech game would legally be considered merchandising of the Harmony Gold-owned Macross, or a derivative work based on the Nue-owned mecha designs.)

#24 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

Those designs were interesting. Though it makes me appreciate our battletech more because I'm not a fan of most of those designs. That Marauder design is really really ugly to me. Also, why is it missing an arm?

#25 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

View PostKeeshu, on 31 May 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

Those designs were interesting. Though it makes me appreciate our battletech more because I'm not a fan of most of those designs. That Marauder design is really really ugly to me. Also, why is it missing an arm?

The picture is set so that one would be more-or-less looking along the axis of the left arm (so, you can only see that front plate for the PPC & MedLas barrels).

----------

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

Pretty sure he already knew the basic Marauder, by the answers before mine.

View PostAsakara, on 31 May 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

I have no love for HG and IANAL but they may not own all the rights here. The unseen may be property of Studio Nue/Big West instead. It seems to me it would take lots of money to lawyers to figure out who IGP would need to pay before they could even consider paying:

Hence, why I brought up the JBT designs - could PGI license those images from Studio Nue in the same manner that they would have had to license the Phoenix package 'Mechs (that is, the Unseen 'Mechs derived from Dougram and Crusher Joe) from Sunrise? -_-

If they can get those, and then put FD's spin/magic/whatever on them, it could be a way to get the 'Mechs themselves while completely bypassing HG & Macross/Robotech. :rolleyes:

#26 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 31 May 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

The picture is set so that one would be more-or-less looking along the axis of the left arm (so, you can only see that front plate for the PPC & MedLas barrels).

Oh I see it now thanks. I wonder why they decided to do that, it makes it look incredibly awkward.

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 31 May 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

----------

Hence, why I brought up the JBT designs - could PGI license those images from Studio Nue in the same manner that they would have had to license the Phoenix package 'Mechs (that is, the Unseen 'Mechs derived from Dougram and Crusher Joe) from Sunrise? :P

If they can get those, and then put FD's spin/magic/whatever on them, it could be a way to get the 'Mechs themselves while completely bypassing HG & Macross/Robotech. -_-

Well, I'll be honest, whilst the execution is somewhat Lacking, I actually like the basic concept of the ReSeen Marauder better, anyhow. Just a shame that it seems anything remotely linked ot the blasted name is toxic.
here are two versions I sketched re proportioning the reseen version
one mostly true to the P-PHX TRO (save for repositioning the AC back to it's proper dorsal position)
Posted Image
and one with styling cues taken from the original unseen and novel descriptions.
Posted Image

Personally I would be just fine with a slightly chunkier version of the Reseen, myself.

#28 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

Which Marauder design is unseen?

The one that HG doesn't want you to ever pilot.

#29 SirLANsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostFupDup, on 31 May 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

The one that HG doesn't want you to ever pilot.

Translation

All of them

&*%$ HG

#30 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:03 PM

The copyright issues are different between the artwork and the miniatures. The miniature license and distribution is rock-solid (and HG can't touch that one; they never had their claws on it); the artwork/image licenses are where the problems originated.

So we can have miniatures but they can't be advertised (even photographed) due to the images being a different license...

#31 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:24 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

as are

Marauder II
Posted Image
Posted Image
Marauder IIC
Posted Image

Basically, these versions are the ReSeen
Marauder
Posted Image
Marauder II
Posted Image
Marauder IIC
Posted Image

But even those have been redacted in newer publications, apparently due to possible continued pressure from HG.

Harmony gold needs to go die in a fire....

#32 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:24 AM

I actually prefer the Reseen variant.

But anyway, who is up for storming Fortress Harmony Gold.

#33 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:50 AM

View PostBlood Rose, on 01 June 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

I bring an entire star of Republic Legionnaires all piloting Warhammers to help settle this dispute.

And a Dropship that may, or may not have a few WMDs should things go wrong....

#34 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 01 June 2014 - 01:50 AM, said:

I bring an entire star of Republic Legionnaires all piloting Warhammers to help settle this dispute.

And a Dropship that may, or may not have a few WMDs should things go wrong....

Nuke the whole site from orbit.It's the only way we can be sure.

How is harmony gold even still a company? I mean,have they even done anything in the past decade other than go around trying to sue anyone or anything that even has a hint of looking like a warhammer/marauder/etc.?

#35 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:01 AM

View PostBlood Rose, on 01 June 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

They're based here in Los Angeles...seems like they're mainly a real estate company and music hall or something:

http://www.harmonygoldproperties.com/

http://www.harmonygold.com/theater/

#36 ShadowWolf Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

Not too fond of the ReSeen because it's more like a kitbash of various mechs. Wasn't too fond of the original either, but I did love the weapon loadout of the 3R. 2 PPCs and 1 AC5 were meta all the way back then. :P

The Warhammer is still my favorite overall original design as far as looks.

Posted Image

Edited by ShadowWolf Kell, 01 June 2014 - 04:13 AM.

#37 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:59 AM

View PostAsakara, on 31 May 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

I was misunderstanding what the divided rights meant. In fact, they mean that Tatsunoko (in Japan, and hence Harmony Gold outside of Japan) has the exclusive right to distribute and merchandise the Macross show that’s been made already and all elements within it; Big West and Studio Nue have the exclusive right to make new derivative works based on those elements. This could have interesting implications for the planned Robotech live-action movie. (Though it does set up the question of whether the BattleTech game would legally be considered merchandising of the Harmony Gold-owned Macross, or a derivative work based on the Nue-owned mecha designs.)

Hmm, so HG has distribution and merchandise rights for macross but not for derivative work.
But, Robotech is a derivative work. It is made out of 3 different Anime, one of them beeing Macross.
Whole thing makes no sense.

#38 Maerawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 114 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:06 AM

a while back there was a community held contest to RE DESIGN the art work for the marauder with the hopes they PGI would use it in a new pheonix package for the harmony gold/robotech mechs. This is the thread with the potential redesigns on it. The winning one BTW was Marcobra.
http://mwomercs.com/...-voting-closed/

#39 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostAlexandrix, on 01 June 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

Nuke the whole site from orbit.It's the only way we can be sure.

How is harmony gold even still a company? I mean,have they even done anything in the past decade other than go around trying to sue anyone or anything that even has a hint of looking like a warhammer/marauder/etc.?

Thats how they are still a company...they make millions on those suits hahaha...

#40 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

View PostMaerawn, on 01 June 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

a while back there was a community held contest to RE DESIGN the art work for the marauder with the hopes they PGI would use it in a new pheonix package for the harmony gold/robotech mechs. This is the thread with the potential redesigns on it. The winning one BTW was Marcobra.
http://mwomercs.com/...-voting-closed/

But in all seriousness, i like Bishop Steiner's submission the best. It looks the most like a Marauder.

Now, if only he could redesign the Warhammer. And in all seriousness, what was so...Harmony Gold about the Whammy PGI used in their trailer!? they made it look a fair bit different without looking exactly like the old WH models.

I had a toy of the Destroid Tomahawk thing when I was like 8. I saw it in a toy store and was like...oohh, cool a Warhammer, there was a Marauder looking thing beside it. I certainly didnt think Destroid or w/e when I saw it. And the WH we have in MW games is missing the missile pods in the torso. And the WHIIC like the one we get in Wizkids MW collectable game doesnt even look like a Whammy at all....

But HG is why we will never see a Rifleman as well right?

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 01 June 2014 - 08:39 AM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users