King Crab Versus Dire Wolf + Lots Of Tabletop.

203 replies to this topic

#121 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostKoniving, on 31 May 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:

Edit: More TT battles are also being placed in this thread but not necessarily in this post.
Edit 2: Will now be adding battles at least once a week.

Megamek (tabletop) brawl.
Solaris Arena! (Just the map) Elevating platforms.
100 tons versus 100 tons.

Advanced Tact rules.
Heatsink overstressing enabled.

Players: Koniving versus Lordred.

King Crab 0010
Versus
Dire Wolf Prime (Daishi)

Begin!

Spoiler

Bonus! King Crab versus Annihilator.

Spoiler

In game, I hope it is just as much fun.. ..cannot wait, the geometry looks BOSS, this mech is going to be amazing!

#122 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

View PostKoniving, on 06 November 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

This is the 02b, which is meant to be a significant improvement. 113 kph MWO (not sure what the speed would be in BT now) without even resorting to sprinting.

11 is 119 kph. The multiplication factor shifts slightly depending on the hex movement, but for run speed it averages to about 10.7 times the hex movement.

#123 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

Each hex is 30 meters. Each TT turn is 10 seconds. The rest be plug and chug; and no, we don't know the accelleration rate of a 'mech. Just it's terminal velocity.

#124 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 September 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

The fire from the Thor's ER PPC now 15 to 20 seconds ago is burning brightly. The smoke billowing into the air drifts and light smoke is creating a fog of war nearly 90 meters long.

And that marks 1 minute and 20 seconds of combat.

In less than 10 seconds, the Dire Wolf is rendered mobility ineffective. Though to call it combat ineffective is another story altogether for the Daishi has a very competent Clan pilot.

For those wondering, I've been super-wrapped up in work RL and what little time I have had lately has been spent reinstating myself into college (I was dropped out due to absence, from being so busy) and other things.

So, this is the remainder of the Phoenix versus Clan wave I first tier (Kitfox, Nova, Summoner, Dire Wolf) match. Later I will come through and give it the flavor text.
You can review the moments leading up to the first 2 minutes of combat (starting from 110 to 120 seconds and scrolling up to get earlier accounts) by clicking the Arrow in the quote I put at the top of this post.

From 120 seconds to 240 seconds. Total combat time covered here: 2 minutes. Accumulative total combat time, 4 minutes.
Spoiler

Victory:
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 14 November 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#125 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

This thread has convinced me to try out Megamek, I'm not a tabletop gamer but I like it so far.
After a couple of matches against the bot I've got at least a halfway decent grasp of what works and what doesn't. I've also found out that infantry and battlearmor are really annoying on a city map with hardened buildings, and vehicles are apparently ridiculously fragile.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 17 November 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#126 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 17 November 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

This thread has convinced me to try out Megamek, I'm not a tabletop gamer but I like it so far.
After a couple of matches against the bot I've got at least a halfway decent grasp of what works and what doesn't. I've also found out that infantry and battlearmor are really annoying on a city map with hardened buildings, and vehicles are apparently ridiculously fragile.

Depending on the tank, yes.

I've designed tanks in heavy metal Vee that would make equile tonnage mechs cry in terms of armour and or firepower.....

Also in a city fight, watch out for SRM carriers that are hidden, that's a 60 missile salvo, if everything hits , for 120 damage....

#127 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 17 November 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Use the optional rules for vehicle criticals and you will see vehicles taking much more damage. The reason they are so fragile is that almost every hit had a chance to do critical damage and the probability of becoming immobile is pretty high. I especially like it when hovertanks are immobilized over water... I always imagine that they skip before going full submarine.

#128 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostDanghen Woolf, on 17 November 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

Use the optional rules for vehicle criticals and you will see vehicles taking much more damage. The reason they are so fragile is that almost every hit had a chance to do critical damage and the probability of becoming immobile is pretty high. I especially like it when hovertanks are immobilized over water... I always imagine that they skip before going full submarine.

I'm pretty sure all the optional rules are disabled by default, I checked.
Anyway that tank the bot had during my last game was pretty tough, but it didn't stand up to focused fire from about 1500 BV worth of mechs and other units. Not sure what kind it was though, I should probably start saving the reports.

Can someone give me a rundown on which weapons are more effective against smaller targets like infantry and battlearmor?
Machine guns appear to shred infantry pretty quickly, and that one mechanized SRM squad I had 2 shotted another infantry squad like a boss, but they didn't have cover at the time, then again neither did that other squad I killed with the machine guns. Immobilized J. Edgar light hover tank ( seriously FASA? Worst pun ever. ) for the win.

#129 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 17 November 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure all the optional rules are disabled by default, I checked.
Anyway that tank the bot had during my last game was pretty tough, but it didn't stand up to focused fire from about 1500 BV worth of mechs and other units. Not sure what kind it was though, I should probably start saving the reports.

Can someone give me a rundown on which weapons are more effective against smaller targets like infantry and battlearmor?
Machine guns appear to shred infantry pretty quickly, and that one mechanized SRM squad I had 2 shotted another infantry squad like a boss, but they didn't have cover at the time, then again neither did that other squad I killed with the machine guns. Immobilized J. Edgar light hover tank ( seriously FASA? Worst pun ever. ) for the win.

Infantry on an open hex takes double damage from all missile weapons, machine guns, and flamers (I think pulse lasers as well but not sure). Infantry that is in a hex that is on fire is immediately destroyed if it cannot move out of that hex before the end of the turn.

Yes all optional rules are turned off by default, the ones I was talking about is from TacOps I think, it makes vehicle critical hits act more like mech hits. I would have to read up on the specifics when I get home.

#130 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

Edit: Expanded a little on a concept introduced here, see the spoiler's second spoiler. Autocannons and slight bits more proof that there is quite a bit of logic here.

Pulse lasers, MGs, and flamers are fairly effective. There are also anti-personnel drop pods. I didn't know about missiles.

MGs for the obvious reason that contrary to popular misconception (that all weapons fire once in 10 seconds), the MGs fire many times to achieve 2 damage.

(The misconception that everything fires once in 10 seconds generally isn't true of anything except PPCs, missiles, and Gauss Rifles and even then there are Gauss Rifle variants which are classified as the everyday Gauss Rifle far as tabletop goes, that are written to fire several shots. The damage and heat of the weapons are generalized ratings. Ammo is written in the generally easily read 'uses per ton' rather than actual counts. Then there is BT's issue with pinpoint damage, but I won't get into that.)

Pulse lasers frequently read and are depicted in different ways, from what I've been reading the Star Trek modulating frequency phaser which is how I'd imagine it is actually the far less common depiction. Instead, it is far more commonly depicted as (yes another Star Trek reference) Klingon Disruptors. Rather than a beam of light that connects from the source to the target it seems to be more common to depict them as laser machine guns that fire energy 'bullets' that nearly instantly reach their target. I was sort of like "...wut?" But since then I've shrugged my shoulders and accepted the idea. If nothing else this makes them extremely unique from regular lasers and in a way makes a lot of sense for the heat/damage difference.

Spoiler

And then flamer effectiveness against infantry are self explanatory.

For some reason I never tried missiles on infantry in the open. It makes a bit of sense however. I do know that missiles work well against infantry in buildings. They also work great on vehicles.

I personally prefer to play with most of the official custom rules on (as not all are compatible). There are a select few unofficial custom rules that work well, too. Some not so well.

Edited by Koniving, 20 November 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#131 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

A-pods come stock on a very limited selection of mechs and are usually mounted on legs or side torsos.
These can be "dropped" at your feet while infantry and battlearmor are trying to attack your actuators. I don't exactly know how to control those yet as I've been much more into learning how to make actual shoulder turrets work on non-quad mechs. And they are pretty cool.

#132 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

Inferno SRMs are nasty against just about anything. Fire and conventional units (vehicle or infantry) do not mix well. Fragmentation ammo does double damage to infantry before modifiers, but nothing to anything armored including Battle Armor. LRMs can use Incendiary ammo and mix that with most other types (Incendiary Swarm LRMs can be very nasty), but the damage is treated like the next launcher smaller (LRM 5s cannot use Incendiary ammo).

I am not sure about the TacOps rules, but for MGs infantry took d6 damage based on type of MG. Normal ones were 2d6.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 17 November 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#133 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

In my TT games if I have a mech with more than 1 ton of SRM ammo I will usually swap one for infernos... Nothing is quite as nasty as getting in a brawl and hitting someone with an SRM-6 full of napalm. Also useful for rabbiting infantry using double blind rules. In a campaign that we were runn a few years ago our GM actually penalized us campaign points for deforestation and collateral damage in urban areas due to the use of inferno rounds and our willingness to set woods on fire to discourage camping...provide cover... and collapsing building under or on top of mechs, tanks, infantry, etc.

#134 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostDanghen Woolf, on 18 November 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

In my TT games if I have a mech with more than 1 ton of SRM ammo I will usually swap one for infernos... Nothing is quite as nasty as getting in a brawl and hitting someone with an SRM-6 full of napalm. Also useful for rabbiting infantry using double blind rules. In a campaign that we were runn a few years ago our GM actually penalized us campaign points for deforestation and collateral damage in urban areas due to the use of inferno rounds and our willingness to set woods on fire to discourage camping...provide cover... and collapsing building under or on top of mechs, tanks, infantry, etc.

I like the way you think :)

#135 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

Clarification on th infantry damage:

Conventional infantry in the open take double damage from all attacks originating from a non-infantry source.

Weapon type: Number of troops wounded/killed
Direct fire (ballistic or energy): Damage/10
Cluster (ballistic): Damage/10+1
Pulse (except small and micro): Damage/10+2
Cluster (missile): Damage/5
Area-effect (AE): Damage/0.5
Burst-fire: 1d6 (Light Machine Gun) to 4d6 (Flamer) per successful hit
Heat-effect weapons: Variable (Inferno missiles do 3/missile plus fire effects if applicable)
Total Warfare (pg. 216)

Infantry not mounting fire-resistant armor in a hex that is on fire are destroyed on a roll of 8+ on 2d6.
Tactical Operations (pg. 45)

#136 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostDanghen Woolf, on 21 November 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

Got any handy info on armor and weapons that have a BAR of 5 rather than the standard 10?

#137 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostKoniving, on 21 November 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Got any handy info on armor and weapons that have a BAR of 5 rather than the standard 10?

Not sure what you are referencing by BAR as I have decided that I am done braining today.

#138 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostDanghen Woolf, on 21 November 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

Not sure what you are referencing by BAR as I have decided that I am done braining today.

Might be Base Armor Rating?

#139 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 21 November 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

Might be Base Armor Rating?

That was what I was thinking but base armor ratings are calculated at 16/ton (standard armor) with modifiers based on types... Inner Sphere Ferro-Fiberous is x1.12 and Clan is x1.2 etc...

#140 Rufus Ingram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 129 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre, Free Rasalhague Republic

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

This was a treat. Thank you for sharing. Megamek revitalized Battletech for me. I love it, though I MWO most of the time...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users