One Way To Avoid Being Team Killed

24 replies to this topic

#1 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

I like to boat LRM's. It is a high yield, high risk strategy. When it works, it works well. When it fails, it is an epic fail. When things work, I am happy to have supported my team. When things fail, I try not to gripe about it.

However, I have scored two team kills in two days. This is embarrassing, but it is not entirely my fault. My missiles cannot lock on to a team mate. The only way for me to kill a team mate is if they are standing where missiles that have lost their lock are impacting. As I have been team killed by a friendly missile boat, I know what the problem is-- Do Not Walk Over The Wreck of a Fallen Enemy! Any LRM's inbound on the enemy as it died will strike the wreck; unless, it hits something in the way, like the mech that is walking over the wreck. If there are several mechs on your team firing LRM's, it can be several seconds before the wreck is safe to be near. So, for your own safety, treat the black smoke rising from the wreck like red smoke.

As an additional safety measure, I promise not to fire a last salvo at a doomed cripple.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

Good tip!

#3 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

And if you are an lrm boat, try not to fire at an enemy that has a friendly light doing the death circle around it, especially a tight death circle. You are as likely to hit the friendly as the enemy

#4 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Better tip still for lights... don't leg hump.

#5 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

I didn't know corpse humping is a thing in MWO.

#6 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

The expression is for those light pilots who like to press up against a leg of a larger mech where they can't be damaged or shot by their target and exploiting the lack of collision damage to them and shoot the legs off of larger mechs like stalkers and atlases who can't shoot down far enough to get them. As far as I'm concerned, pilots who die by friendly fire while doing that is their own fault.

#7 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Just do not run in front of me in an attempt to kill steal while I am alpha striking. Simple as that.

#8 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

View PostRLBell, on 01 June 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

I like to boat LRM's. It is a high yield, high risk strategy. When it works, it works well. When it fails, it is an epic fail. When things work, I am happy to have supported my team. When things fail, I try not to gripe about it.

However, I have scored two team kills in two days. This is embarrassing, but it is not entirely my fault. My missiles cannot lock on to a team mate. The only way for me to kill a team mate is if they are standing where missiles that have lost their lock are impacting. As I have been team killed by a friendly missile boat, I know what the problem is-- Do Not Walk Over The Wreck of a Fallen Enemy! Any LRM's inbound on the enemy as it died will strike the wreck; unless, it hits something in the way, like the mech that is walking over the wreck. If there are several mechs on your team firing LRM's, it can be several seconds before the wreck is safe to be near. So, for your own safety, treat the black smoke rising from the wreck like red smoke.

As an additional safety measure, I promise not to fire a last salvo at a doomed cripple.

You mean I can't tea bag anymore?

#9 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

LRMs hitting friendlies? I've been on that boat before, usually the receiving end. XD
But in all seriousness, yes, try to be wary of enemies that are being bombarded by friendly LRMs. As they say, "Friendly fire isn't". :D

#10 Cybersniper Vickers

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

It's a two way street. Often times I start an attack, then have to break off due to incoming fire from
my side. After all, it was me that got the initial lock on, right ? ( In a light )
Also, many times I beat down a large mech, somebody from my side finally gets in range,and they
get the kill. After considerable effort and risk on my part.

So, when somebody says it's the light's fault, that's not always the case.

#11 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Perfect placement of artillery of air strikes! Learn how to place it perfectly cause if not leave this kind of modules in your mechlab!

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

Another good way to get team killed is to be standing behind an enemy when it dies, on one occasion I was taking out the rear armor of an enemy mech, when it went down I took duel AC20s to my (by that point unarmored) Center torso, a 2xAC20 Jaegermech had fired on it just as it died, the shots went through the dead mech and hit me, I have taken damage in this situation many times, it is especially irritating if you have almost killed a mech 1 on 1 then another "friendly" mech joins the fight gets the kill on the enemy and you at the same time

#13 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Do not hug targets, noobie.

#14 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for enlightening me.

#15 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:23 AM

I like how all the LRM-pros (not the OP) are asking lights not to hug the enemy. If you'd played anything but your precious LRM boats you'd know that the closer the light is to the enemy mech, the longer he lives and the more damage he does. Lights hug bigger mechs for multiple reasons:
- because its much harder to aim at a light within 30m or so with every weapon;
- because PPCs do no damage up close;
- because the circle distance is shorter thus light goes around faster while bigger mech retains his turning speed being practically stationary
- because lights have short range weapons (small lasers, MGs, etc.)
- because obviousely the closer you are, the more accurate your shots become
- because it is harder for other enemy mechs to shoot at a light if he is very close / behind their teammate

When a light pilot brawls up an enemy, he got better things to worry about that incoming friendly missiles. How about YOU dear LRM boats who sit 800m away in perfect safety worry about not hitting friendlies, because its those friendly lights who do 99% of the work for ya.

View Postsneeking, on 02 June 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

as a light pilot also stay out of choke points if a pug team is behind you, you may be cooled down enough to deliver that 8xml alpha but they will strip your back ( which was likely biased towards front to start with ) then they will crowd in and meatshield you to keep their knees warm as the enemy responds to your alpha.

just let them have the choke point to them selvs, find another line and while the enemy is focused on them and your team works hard on body components just wait for an over heat or someone standing still enough for no good reason and pinpoint the windshield.

This on the other hand is a very good tip. Never cross in front of your bigger mechs unless absolutely necessary, never park/cross in front of them even if they aren't shooting. Find different angles and flank.

#16 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:33 AM

That link I posted was Adiuvo dying from hugging targets too much. Even with great skill, you can overdo it. Situational awareness, noobie -- know when to GTFO.

#17 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:46 AM

Phoenix made some good points there, and indeed sneeking did as well. :D
I'm guessing you guys have been around for a while. :huh:
Also, why does Phoenix get such an Awesome image in his sig? XD

#18 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

View PostWonderSparks, on 02 June 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

I'm guessing you guys have been around for a while. :D
Also, why does Phoenix get such an Awesome image in his sig? XD

Having ~80 different mechs of all weights and play styles helps with perspective. Having awesome unit members who can redo concept art into something stunning helps with sigs. I still like the Awesome, still remember times when you could put a st.300 and 7 medium lasers with 40+ SHS into it and bring about 700-800 damage per match in a full brawl mode.

#19 Maver0ick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 228 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

As a light pilot, if I am fighting an enemy who still has weapons, please continue firing LRMs at it as the chances of dying to friendly fire is still smaller than the chances of dying to enemy fire. If I decide to leg hump, then I take full responsibility for any consequences from friendly LRMs.

#20 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostMaverdick, on 03 June 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

As a light pilot, if I am fighting an enemy who still has weapons, please continue firing LRMs at it as the chances of dying to friendly fire is still smaller than the chances of dying to enemy fire. If I decide to leg hump, then I take full responsibility for any consequences from friendly LRMs.

It's oh so nice to see a light pilot who appreciates teamwork and responsibility. <O sir!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users