• Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

View PostMerchant, on 02 June 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

WHY?!?!?
Why did the wonderful Hero Spider idea get put on the Blackjack?!?!?
The Humaity!!! :)

Because it's still Fabled.

#182 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

Woohoo loving the look of this patch. this is gonna make my SRM boats even better now.

Time to dust off the Awesome 8v and the CN-A(C) and my Griffin 3M.

Gonna buy an Arrow i think too. good times.

#183 Funkadelic Mayhem

• Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 02 June 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

I hope we can filter out the Trial mechs. I hate being forced to see 4, let alone 12.

!!!!!!!!

#184 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostDymlos2003, on 02 June 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

There is nothing wrong with adding hero mechs.

Except for all the things the graphic designers COULD have been working on instead of Hero Mechs ... like maps, or maps, or maps.

#185 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostSarlic, on 02 June 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Did i say that? No.

Its particulary not a bad thing. But it's all about 'image'. The image i get is 'cashgrabbing'. Pump each patch a 'superb' Hero mech with some amazing lore. "Buy the new Hero mech because it's all part of the game."

Don't get me wrong. I like new mechs too, but they're building some bad marketing here. It's not like 3D artists can do only one thing. Like i said before: Their is a hoge list of broken things. Including excisting maps and mechs. i am sure their resources can be put somewhere else instead of working on MC mechs all the time. For example; fixing assets in maps. Or anything else.

Or making it so that the correct weapons show up on existing models - yeah, I get that complaint, at least.

View PostAppogee, on 03 June 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Except for all the things the graphic designers COULD have been working on instead of Hero Mechs ... like maps, or maps, or maps.

Level designers are typically yet another group of artists. While the artists could, and probably do, pull double duty, it's a completely different skill set between making an animated model and making a well-balanced map.

#186 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostAppogee, on 03 June 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Because lord knows animators, riggers, and vehicle artists know how to light a scene, layout and design a level, and know all the technical flags that need to be set up in order to do it at a professional level of polish that people would expect.

Game art is highly compartmentalized. There is a reason art positions are highly specialized, as the Mech team is more then likely different from the ENV team because there are different skill sets at work to get them working.

Also, anyone who thinks that you can make a map for the same effort you can to re-skin an already existing mech with unique hardpoints that carry the exact same geometry, but with a unique texture is severely off base. Especially with a texture as simple as a dual coat. Its not like the texture is like the Treb or Banshee level of complexity.

#187 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

Is this another self-generated Mech with no lore?

#188 VtTimber

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

New champ mech is dual AC/5 and a PPC... seriously PGI.. WTF?

#189 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostVtTimber, on 03 June 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

New champ mech is dual AC/5 and a PPC... seriously PGI.. WTF?

I guess it's to give new players a taste of what they'll be doing for the rest of their stay in MWO?

#190 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

No amount of weapon tweaking will be useful until they put the "Brian Buckton" hit registration fix in. Even then, SRMs will still be too weak/spready/not splashy.

#191 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

I have been looking forward to a Blackjack Hero for a long time , now.

Hello, Haters, damn ya'll mad. Hating on the BJ, now how sad is that?

I got that off-black Blackjack, stompy ride,
got that neurohelmet, lean back, taking my time,
I'm rolling out, guns up, letting it fly,
I shine, this BJ never looked so fine...

#192 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostSpiralFace, on 03 June 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Game art is highly compartmentalized. There is a reason art positions are highly specialized, as the Mech team is more then likely different from the ENV team because there are different skill sets at work to get them working.

So PGI need to rebalance their resources. And they've needed to do that for at least a year, as we haven't had a new map for 6 months, but we've had a dozen new Mechs.

#193 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

There are both actively looking for people to join "sensitive" positions, and are accepting general applications.

If you feel you can do the work, your more then free to try.

Reality of hiring for game development is that although there are tons of people who would LOVE to do the work, getting QUALIFIED individuals that can do the work at a high enough competency level is a different story all together. Sometimes, you get by off of what you can bring onto the team.

Not to mention that people have to be trained up on your studio tools, and you need to take on another piece of payroll (so your bottom line has to justify the team addition.)

I would love to see more maps just like everyone else, but at the same time none of us know what goes on at the studio. I wouldn't be quick to judge how they allocate resources unless you have years of experience in the industry and you have an active knowledge of how they are assigning their guys in the first place.

#194 krash27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 582 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 02 June 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

I don't get this statement at all. Why is ADDING more stuff to the game a bad thing?

All mech chassis need a hero mech. Now there is another design for the BlackJack.

Most of the lights need a hero mech version.

Enough with the silly idea that 3D mech artists have to stop working or be laid off because that magically speeds up bug fixes and new gamplay features...done by programmers and not 3D artists.

Could thse 3D artists be working on mechs we have not seen yet as opposed to making a new variant of a mech to soak people for money?
I'd pay for a mech thats not in my garage before I paid for another Blackjack.

#195 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

View Postkrash27, on 03 June 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

Could thse 3D artists be working on mechs we have not seen yet as opposed to making a new variant of a mech to soak people for money?
I'd pay for a mech thats not in my garage before I paid for another Blackjack.

And how do you know they aren't? But it's a matter of simply reskinning these while they DO work on other things for later release.

#196 krash27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 June 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

And how do you know they aren't? But it's a matter of simply re skinning these while they DO work on other things for later release.

But ignore the part about how we all ready have Blackjacks. There are thousands of other mechs they could be working on that are truly new.
Sure re skinning an existing mech is quick and easy and it is also the number one reason why people think hero/champs are a cash grabs.

Edited by krash27, 03 June 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#197 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

View Postkrash27, on 03 June 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

But ignore the part about how we all ready have Blackjacks. There are thousands of other mechs they could be working on that are truly new.
Sure re skinning an existing mech is quick and easy and it is also the number one reason why people think hero/champs are a cash grabs.

I didn't ignore anything. We get a hero every month. Period. We have the Clans being released in 2 weeks. That is PLENTY of new mechs that despite the reveals are almost assuredly getting final tweaks, and, they have to prepare the promised NEW IS mechs for upcoming releases. So until those are ready, what, release nothing?

That would be pèachy.

#198 krash27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 June 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

I didn't ignore anything. We get a hero every month. Period. We have the Clans being released in 2 weeks. That is PLENTY of new mechs that despite the reveals are almost assuredly getting final tweaks, and, they have to prepare the promised NEW IS mechs for upcoming releases. So until those are ready, what, release nothing?

That would be pèachy.

Oh I don't know they could test and rework the geometry on the clan mechs that are coming out so maybe just maybe they wont be as bugged as their IS counterparts, but thats my opinion.
I hear what you are saying about the clan mechs, myself I refused to purchase until the MM is fixed.

Pisses me off that PGI releasing the clan mechs with the MM in that state its in. I was looking forward to the clan packs, but I will not purchase with the mess that is the MM. I would have bought the full meal deal. Now I will never have them and the perks that come with them.

#199 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostSarlic, on 02 June 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

I hope it's sarcasmn? I am sure they can spend the resources on making or fixing assets for a map instead of mechs. You know.. like prioritising things right. And not some mechs for MC.

its a shadowhawk, its not new, its not different, its a shadowhawk

Wait wait wait..... your right, the PGI should refrain from maintaining income streams, because, you know, free to play also means that maintenance and development is cost nothing as well

If you don't like it, don't buy it, problem solved

Now, wheres my hero shadowhawk? A 2D with a fourth energy point in the arms, second ballistic in the left torso and double AMS..... OOOOHhhhh.........P2W!!!!!!!!!

Ironically, not to long ago, people complained that PGI had not kept up with a "new" mech every month, now we complain about it.

PGI must shake their head at the sideshow that is their playerbase

#200 krash27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostFatYak, on 03 June 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

its a shadowhawk, its not new, its not different, its a shadowhawk

Wait wait wait..... your right, the PGI should refrain from maintaining income streams, because, you know, free to play also means that maintenance and development is cost nothing as well

If you don't like it, don't buy it, problem solved

Now, wheres my hero shadowhawk? A 2D with a fourth energy point in the arms, second ballistic in the left torso and double AMS..... OOOOHhhhh.........P2W!!!!!!!!!

Ironically, not to long ago, people complained that PGI had not kept up with a "new" mech every month, now we complain about it.

PGI must shake their head at the sideshow that is their playerbase

I think it is great how PGI is now keeping up with some of their commitments.
Allowing the match maker to get to the state its in right now, when it should have been rebuilt months and months, if not a year, ago.
Releasing clan mechs before such a basic thing as a match maker that doesn't throw down obviously lopsided matches constantly is what burns my arse. I suspect there will be a lot of rage because of this come clan launch day.

How else would PGI know how many of us are jaded about the state of the match maker and the fact they are digging into our wallets for clan mechs etc before the match maker is fixed?

You call it complaining lol, I call it letting them know how we feel, although some people do put tons of anxiety into their posts.

Edited by krash27, 03 June 2014 - 05:43 PM.

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users