239 replies to this topic

#1 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Greetings MechWarriors,

Few things in life evoke as much emotion as artwork. Today, I am not very interested in the debate of the subject of whether beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as I am in giving you, the customers, what you seek.

The overwhelming message that we are hearing is that the Clan players want to receive the same treatment that the Inner Sphere (IS) factions received with regards to symbolic artwork. That would be defined as taking previous faction logos seen in past games and applying a "mild refresh", instead of the "Heavy Rework" the existing ones have undergone.

I should also point out that I have received at least a few "you better not change it now I love the new one" responses. The caveat is that a part of getting the same treatment as the IS means that we're not going to be able to give the players the option to choose between them. Such a change would require new code functionality to the website as well as needed changes in the game client. In this circumstance, we will have to go with the majority vote.

We are currently recreating the clan logos under the "mild refresh" process used with the IS logos. No, they won't simply be the exact old logos either since there is enough ambiguity on rights ownership of artwork to prevent such from being feasible. Additionally, this way they should fit in perfectly with the existing IS logos. Once this art is complete, Niko will put up a poll and it will be a very simple two choice poll. The "Heavy Rework" set or the "Mild Refresh" set.

Assuming the "Mild Refresh" option is selected, I wanted to explain in more detail why it might take the time it does to enter the game itself: The game client itself goes into lock down on a 2-week testing protocol to achieve approval status before release to live production. As this remains an aesthetic concern, this is not something I would ever consider a hotfix for; The best case scenario is June 17th patch. There is also the Clan cockpit content that has been created which will need to go through some changes, so it's a certainty that this particular content received on June 17th will use the "Heavy Rework" artwork. Changing that content to use the "Mild Refresh" artwork would come sometime after June 17th. date to be decided.

The silver lining is that we can make the switch on the website for use on the forums very quickly and that could likely happen within the same week as the poll. Another bonus I can offer is that we have heard the excellent suggestion of using the "Dagger Star" graphic for use as a general clan tag for those wanting to represent one of the other Clans until they can join the invasion. As to timing of the Dagger Star icon, that may have a dependency with the game client since it’s a new clan faction. I don’t have all the answers on this yet but wanted to let you know that yes we will be adding that as an option in the relatively near future.

Okay so that is the update, we are going to try our hardest to give you the customer what you want. Niko will update us with the poll as soon as we can manage.

Thanks.

#2 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

I can't read, help!

#3 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

Russ, please change the font on this. It really is small.

Jody

#4 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

glad you guys are opening these up for feedback.

#5 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 04 June 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Outlook doesn't like copy-paste. Should be fixed now. :)

My eyes thank you.

#6 AgroAlba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

You can count on me voting that the ones we have now are kick-ass.

#7 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

See, this is how things like this should be handled. Letting the Community know, and give us options. I say HEAVY REWORK.

#8 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Absolutely happy right now. Thank you! I am sure most of us understand it could take time to implement, but we are happy to know it is coming soon. Preferably without the tm. :)

#9 Warchild Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 478 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Not a Clan player - but the speed of the reaction is appreciated and a democratic vote a nice gesture.

#10 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Russ. This sounds great.

Looking forward to seeing the more "subdued" logo's.

#11 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

I really like the new logos except that I wish the CGB one had the bear looking down more so you see more of the face than the neck.

#12 Ol Dirty Bastard

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 43 posts

Wheres the in game logo for Mercs?

#13 Tsunamisan

• 1,568 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

To small and too bright in that teal my eyes are bleeding.

#14 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Thank you bossman primes PGI. Most appreciated. I eagerly await the mild refreshing of our Clan sigals.

#15 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

Good to hear. I don't dislike the new emblems but its hard to beat the nostalgia factor.

#16 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

I really like your guys take on the logos but appreciate you listening to everyone. I don't begrudge them their opinions and look forward to the vote.

#17 Xolin

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 42 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

My ONLY complaint with the heavy rework is that the Clan Wolf Stars are not solid.......

I vote "HEAVY REWORK"

#18 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

I personally love the new artwork, but that's just me. Glad you're giving people an option though.

#19 Prawfutt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationThe sulfuric beaches of Malibu

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Thank you! I do like the new logos and if I did not have 20 years past experience with the logos imprinted onto my very soul I would love them. Very dynamic and exciting. However the heavy rework is a bit too much to satisfy my long love of this universe and seems almost a mockery of the icons. That said I will be voting mild rework. Cant wait to see them.

#20 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...go-re-redesign/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users