• Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostStyxx42, on 05 August 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

Surprised the

YOU JUST DON"T KNOW HOW TO PILOT A LIGHT MECH. comment has not been flung out more.

In effect, that above comment is, SLOW DOWN, in a lightmech.
Okay that for sure is a way to die IMO.

Just silly the damage now just running in a light mech.

Did you quote the wrong post, because what you said had almost nothing to do with what I actually said in that quote...

#202 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

Sorry for the resurrection of this thread, but I still think the current system is silly, is un-intuitive, and doesn't allow optimal game balance.

Fall damage should be calculated by mech's kinetic energy (KE) on impact rather than the system currently in use whereby damage is calculated by arbitrary weight classes, amount of time in the air, amount of armor on the mech (why is this even a thing??), etc. If a mech's KE is below a certain threshold, no damage is done (mech legs should be able to absorb some level of abuse thanks to flexible leg joints), and if its KE is higher than the threshold, then leg damage is calculated by a linear scale: the more KE, the more damage, regardless of weight class, time in the air, amount of armor on the legs, or whatever other system is in place.

It might be something like (with a different linear scaling value based upon PGI's intent to balance the game):

Linear damage scaling value = .00015
KE = (1/2) * mass * velocity squared
Damage to mech's legs = KE * linear scaling value

A Locust falls off of a hill in Terra Therma. When it hits the ground it is moving 70 m/s.
KE_LCT = .5 * 20 * 70 * 70 = 49,000
Damage_to_LCT_legs = 49,000 * .00015 = 7.35 damage to legs

A Dire Wolf falls off the same hill.
KE_DWF = .5 * 100 * 70 * 70 = 245,000
Damage_to_DWF_legs = .00015 * 245,000 = 36.75 damage to legs

It makes more sense than going by weight class, and it gives the lightest of the light mechs a little more desperately-needed love in a fair and balanced manner. It's silly that a LCT and a SDR (which is nearly twice as heavy as a LCT) both take roughly the same amount of damage from identical falls because they're both Light mechs.

Edited by Syncline, 04 December 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#203 Khan Warlock Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 392 posts
  • LocationThe Grey Wolves Den

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:22 AM

My issue to do with this isn't anything to do with the mechanics of how fall damage is calculated, but is more to do with the way the maps are made. Too many maps have areas where mechs can't help but fall. or maps where what look like small pebbles actually stop a mech dead, or look like a gentle step down but in reality are causing damage to legs because the visual topography doesn't actually match the wire frame environment underneath.

By all means increase the damage a mech takes by taking a big fall intentionally. If you do this you need to clean up the maps so that the visual clues match the likely damage. I am all for giving lights more of a role as scouts and spotters, and snipers, or allowing them to act as harassers and the mobility improvements they need to carry out that role. If their ability to face tank is reduced to what it should be for a light.

#204 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

This should be coupled with knockdown.

#205 Last Of The Brunnen-G

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

1. I think the damage should be calculated with the tonnage of the mech independend from mech class and not with the health + armor on the legs.
2. The damage should go directly to the internal systems of the legs and not to the armor.

If you jump from something high, you first break your legs etc. and not hurt your skin. The armor is the mechs skin, or am I wrong with this?

#206 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,965 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

Fall damage or chassis "G" limit
I would like to see a more logical reasonable approach

"G" stands for gravity and is used in fighter aircraft for example the F16 has a 9G
Frame
The A10 I worked on had a G-meter in the cockpit
The battle Mechs in MWO are fragile jumping off small bolder's causes legg damage
What I would like to see is battle Mech take no fall damage up to 75% of the height of the Mech
For standard chassis, upgraded chassis would go 100% of the height of the Mech

To me it reasonable to assume these 31 century war machines would be robust enough to jump
Into small ditches without taking leg damage

In CW mechs are dropped out of the drop ship and take no damage but the same drop distance
On the canyon map would give you damage

To recap no fall damage for the height of your Mech (a freebie so to speak for 75 to 100% of the height of your Mech)

I don't care about poptarting that I a tactic in fact I hope you do jump up so I can get a
Clear shot at you

Davegt27

#207 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 11 June 2015 - 02:18 AM, said:

Fall damage or chassis "G" limit
I would like to see a more logical reasonable approach

"G" stands for gravity and is used in fighter aircraft for example the F16 has a 9G
Frame
The A10 I worked on had a G-meter in the cockpit
The battle Mechs in MWO are fragile jumping off small bolder's causes legg damage
What I would like to see is battle Mech take no fall damage up to 75% of the height of the Mech
For standard chassis, upgraded chassis would go 100% of the height of the Mech

To me it reasonable to assume these 31 century war machines would be robust enough to jump
Into small ditches without taking leg damage

In CW mechs are dropped out of the drop ship and take no damage but the same drop distance
On the canyon map would give you damage

To recap no fall damage for the height of your Mech (a freebie so to speak for 75 to 100% of the height of your Mech)

I don't care about poptarting that I a tactic in fact I hope you do jump up so I can get a
Clear shot at you

Davegt27

If you are not launching yourself off the ledge you can do this already....But if you go full speed and launch yourself off the hill its not the distance you are falling but the speed at which you are falling that hurts you.

Check that first post on the thread....

If you slowly walk off the edge of a cliff you can drop more then the height of your mech and take no dmg...i do it all the time.

#208 Vrel

Rookie

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostSyncline, on 04 December 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Sorry for the resurrection of this thread, but I still think the current system is silly, is un-intuitive, and doesn't allow optimal game balance.

Fall damage should be calculated by mech's kinetic energy (KE) on impact rather than the system currently in use whereby damage is calculated by arbitrary weight classes, amount of time in the air, amount of armor on the mech (why is this even a thing??), etc. If a mech's KE is below a certain threshold, no damage is done (mech legs should be able to absorb some level of abuse thanks to flexible leg joints), and if its KE is higher than the threshold, then leg damage is calculated by a linear scale: the more KE, the more damage, regardless of weight class, time in the air, amount of armor on the legs, or whatever other system is in place.

It might be something like (with a different linear scaling value based upon PGI's intent to balance the game):

Linear damage scaling value = .00015
KE = (1/2) * mass * velocity squared
Damage to mech's legs = KE * linear scaling value

A Locust falls off of a hill in Terra Therma. When it hits the ground it is moving 70 m/s.
KE_LCT = .5 * 20 * 70 * 70 = 49,000
Damage_to_LCT_legs = 49,000 * .00015 = 7.35 damage to legs

A Dire Wolf falls off the same hill.
KE_DWF = .5 * 100 * 70 * 70 = 245,000
Damage_to_DWF_legs = .00015 * 245,000 = 36.75 damage to legs

It makes more sense than going by weight class, and it gives the lightest of the light mechs a little more desperately-needed love in a fair and balanced manner. It's silly that a LCT and a SDR (which is nearly twice as heavy as a LCT) both take roughly the same amount of damage from identical falls because they're both Light mechs.

However, if said Dire Wolf is only utilizing 95% of its available tonnage, that should be taken into account.

#209 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostImperius, on 06 June 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Hopefully this stops pop-tarting...

Why would it stop pop tarting? When you are pop tarting [effectively] you jump up, conserve fuel at 25% and stabilize, fire then fall and flutter near impact to minimize damage.

If you aren't doing it this way you are needlessly damaging your legs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users