Balance BattleMechs

63 replies to this topic

#41 Mr David

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

One of the best players I know of that still runs Awesomes runs it almost every time I see him. He does quite well and is often the top scorer. He runs some XL engine (350?) and 2 ERPPC and 4-5 MPL and tons of DHS. With the AC range nerf, ERPPC have a place again. I ran a modified version of this build last night on a battlemaster for fun and it wasn't too bad. The trick was to use the two weapons groups independently. ERPPCs only at range, MPL for brawling. Otherwise, it is WAAAYYYY too hot. My trigger finger took some training to be sure.

#42 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Posted Image

#43 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Here's the thing about the Awesome. It's not seriously designed for brawling. It's a fire support assault mech.

Stay at range, twist your torso and give enemies your slim side profile. Pick your targets well.

If you have to push against an enemy learn to keep them somewhat distant or cluster with heavier mechs to reduce your incoming damage.

#44 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Here's the thing about the Awesome. It's not seriously designed for brawling. It's a fire support assault mech.

Stay at range, twist your torso and give enemies your slim side profile. Pick your targets well.

If you have to push against an enemy learn to keep them somewhat distant or cluster with heavier mechs to reduce your incoming damage.

QFT

As someone who has 4 mastered AWS all I can say is keep cover close by, stick with your lance or other team mates an L2TorsoTwist, the AWS is the widest mech in the game SPREAD THAT DAMAGE!!!

And don't be the first to push anything unless your the biggest mech in the bunch.

#45 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

Should have done some research if you didn't want to make any mistakes. The Awesome has always been crap, someone will come in here and try to prove me wrong. Whoever does is full of it, it's the worst assault in the game, always has been. All of who have been playing this game awhile have made the same mistake you did, several times.

#46 Wildger

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

With a skilled pilot, any mech can be deadly. However, there are other mechs that simply can do a better job than awesome and that they are easier to play. What more can I say?

#47 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

I'll echo many of the sentiments in this thread. The Awesome is not great, but it's not TERRIBAD as some people think it is. If anything, it teaches some important aspects - keeping distance, sticking to cover, and not trying to slug it out with someone who out classes you. Much to my chagrin, I perform much better with my AWS-9M than I do with my BLR-1G. Don't know if it's because of the gimped BLR-1G torso twist, or the fact that I sometimes (accidentally(not really)) rush with my BLR, but I'm more careful with the 9M. I run two PPCs and 1 ER-PPC, and do the ol' 2-1 cycle. XL360, 2 ML. 22 DHS. It's not going to win any one on one fights with a Meta-DS, but I don't use it like that.

Another issue that plagues the Awesomes is people seeing one and going "OOH! free kill" and they get swarmed because of their highly distinctive silhouette. I've seen some amazing gameplay done with brawler 9Ms, but like anything else, if you can perform well in an Awesome, you're going to do better in a better mech. It's a gameplay style choice, and even fat, it's still a badass looking mech.

Edit: To tack on some about the other mechs - the 8R can run 4xLRM15s or 2x15 2x10 to be a pretty decent LRM boat. Just be sure not to fire them all at once to you get a visit from the evil GHOST HEAT.

I've seen some people do well with the above mentioned Streaks + LPLs in the 9M.
Stay away from the pretty baby.
8Q (aka the overheater) is way too reliant on energy for my likes, and doesn't have the additional speed, agility, or engine capacity of the 9M. It, like most AWS are capped at 300. I've seen people run it with "Rainbow" builds (a variety of different lasers to avoid GH) SPL boat, LPLs + MPL/ML boat.
8T/8V have some interesting mixed energy missile builds.
I'll back up going to MechSpecs for builds to try out.

Also, don't alpha strike unless it's an emergency, killshot, or a very well lined up shot with little reprisal so you can cool down. Ghost Heat for PPCs is 3. And that's across both PPCs and ER-PPCs.

Edited by Zeriniel, 10 June 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#48 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

Mastered the AWS and got the Pretty Baby because putting a 400xl in it and out running mediums makes me giggle a lot.

#49 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:10 AM

View PostZeriniel, on 10 June 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

I'll echo many of the sentiments in this thread. The Awesome is not great, but it's not TERRIBAD as some people think it is. If anything, it teaches some important aspects - keeping distance, sticking to cover, and not trying to slug it out with someone who out classes you. Much to my chagrin, I perform much better with my AWS-9M than I do with my BLR-1G. Don't know if it's because of the gimped BLR-1G torso twist, or the fact that I sometimes (accidentally(not really)) rush with my BLR, but I'm more careful with the 9M. I run two PPCs and 1 ER-PPC, and do the ol' 2-1 cycle. XL360, 2 ML. 22 DHS. It's not going to win any one on one fights with a Meta-DS, but I don't use it like that.

Another issue that plagues the Awesomes is people seeing one and going "OOH! free kill" and they get swarmed because of their highly distinctive silhouette. I've seen some amazing gameplay done with brawler 9Ms, but like anything else, if you can perform well in an Awesome, you're going to do better in a better mech. It's a gameplay style choice, and even fat, it's still a badass looking mech.

Edit: To tack on some about the other mechs - the 8R can run 4xLRM15s or 2x15 2x10 to be a pretty decent LRM boat. Just be sure not to fire them all at once to you get a visit from the evil GHOST HEAT.

I've seen some people do well with the above mentioned Streaks + LPLs in the 9M.
Stay away from the pretty baby.
8Q (aka the overheater) is way too reliant on energy for my likes, and doesn't have the additional speed, agility, or engine capacity of the 9M. It, like most AWS are capped at 300. I've seen people run it with "Rainbow" builds (a variety of different lasers to avoid GH) SPL boat, LPLs + MPL/ML boat.
8T/8V have some interesting mixed energy missile builds.
I'll back up going to MechSpecs for builds to try out.

Also, don't alpha strike unless it's an emergency, killshot, or a very well lined up shot with little reprisal so you can cool down. Ghost Heat for PPCs is 3. And that's across both PPCs and ER-PPCs.

i tried the battlemaster and couldn't make it work, i found it just horrible even though the laser hardpoints are high up, i do great in my 9m and i am not even very careful with it, today i killed a ballistic victor face to face with my 9m - i didn't think it was possible to brawl a ballistic victor with an erppc 9m but i wrecked him and i wasn't even badly hurt. inside of 90 he didnt have a ppc, just some ac5

well since he was using the standard ppc and i was using the ER but still, that's the kind of battle you see in frozen city always so he shoulda seen it coming

#50 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 11 June 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

i tried the battlemaster and couldn't make it work, i found it just horrible even though the laser hardpoints are high up, i do great in my 9m and i am not even very careful with it, today i killed a ballistic victor face to face with my 9m - i didn't think it was possible to brawl a ballistic victor with an erppc 9m but i wrecked him and i wasn't even badly hurt. inside of 90 he didnt have a ppc, just some ac5

well since he was using the standard ppc and i was using the ER but still, that's the kind of battle you see in frozen city always so he shoulda seen it coming

Yeah, the BLR-1G can present a problem. Less the -1D because it can actually twist the full 90 deg.
I have pretty decent success with a -1G build of 2xAC/5(or 1xAC/10) 6xML, 1xER PCC(or 1x LPL) and a XL 380.
Sometimes I do amazing in it, sometimes I feel like the 6xML aren't being detected correctly. Basically even with its speed, its a big target, and if you put yourself in a bad position, with XL and all, you're going to have a bad time. That goes for any Assault Mech really. Don't get yourself in a bad position. Because you really rarely have the speed or agility to get out of it. Fast Awesomes and Victors have a little more leeway. BLRs just a hair more than other large assaults.

But back to the Awesome.

Positioning is important to the Barn door, as is twisting. One thing I see people forgetting, is that you need to twist to both sides. Some people favor one side (like the left side of the Awesome since it doesn't have the Arm Cannon) and forget to spread it out to the other once that one is damage heavily.

#51 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:31 AM

As far as awesomes go, the missile boat one is a bit of an under appreciated dark horse, the rest are inferior to most other mechs due to things like ghost heat and being wider than a london bendy bus is long.

Edited by NextGame, 11 June 2014 - 05:32 AM.

#52 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

View PostNextGame, on 11 June 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

As far as awesomes go, the missile boat one is a bit of an under appreciated dark horse, the rest are inferior to most other mechs due to things like ghost heat and being wider than a london bendy bus is long.

Because they don't have the updated weapon pass yet, it can fire up to 4xLRM15 all missiles, at once. That's a giant blob of 60 missiles. Suck on that AMS.

#53 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

I'm with Koniving, they aren't bad

One of my favorite matches was in a Pretty Baby. We were all brawling at the end and I was last mech on my side. 4v1 and I was still able to pull it out. I had people on the enemy side cheering me on. And that was before the hit box "fix".

My recipe in an Awesome is Biggest engine, Max armor, Then find a weapon load that works. You need as much speed as possible though.

#54 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostCow And Chicken, on 09 June 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

Hi guys :( .

I have been playing this game for two months. And this is how I feel after playing
for hours almost every day.

I have bought 2 Mastery Packs and few Hero mechs and colors. (about 200$+)
Why? Because I want this game to be even more AWESOME!

But Awesome? Is not so Awesome is it?.

I spent two days on getting 12Mill Cbills for A Scrap-Heap (Awesome 9M).
And I have to say its totally worthless. 12m cbills wasted and it is even going
down faster then my armorless Jaggers with 25-30 points on each torso and with XL
on board.

I know its big but stalkers are NO smaller but they can at least take a punch and even
live through it! :lol:

I read that awesome were more agile, hard to play, thats why I choose it. I want to be
tested but,,, comon. 12M Cbills for that scrap-heap, thats greafing.

I am feeling kind of cheated. Should I spend a day or two getting another 6-7m cbills for an engine? Then I have 20m cbills wasted?

I would pay 3m cbill tops for this scrap if I had been able to test it before buying.
Well I wouldn't even have bought it then.

Please give Awesome and the chassis that were left behind some love before the only
mechs we see in game are Phracts, Victors and Highlanders!

What about a test area where you can try out all Chassis (Mechs)?

Cow and Chicken over and out!

Here is what you do.

Look over your mechs that you own.

See if they are 35 tons with jump jets or have at least 2 ballistic hardpoints and 2 energy hardpoints or at least an ECM slot if they do keep if not sell.

The remaining mechs with at least 2 ballistic and 2 energy check to see if they have jump jets if not sell.

Now that you have pared the selection down to "meta approved" chassis you will have no problem with feeling like you got ripped off.

The short list for mechs.

Jenners
Raven 3L
Spiders
Firestarters

Shadowhawk 5M or 2D2
Cicada 3M (for ECM)

Cataphract 3D

Victors
Highlander 733C
Atlas DDC

Short list for weapons

AC5
AC10
AC20
Gauss Rifle
PPC
ER-PPC
ER-Large Laser (for spiders)
Streak SRM2 (for ravens and Jenners maybe an Atlas DDC)
Machineguns (For firestarters)
Medium lasers (for light mechs)

Short list of equipment...
ECM
BAP
AMS

You will be playing with a handicap if you do not adhere strictly to this list.

This is distilled MWo.

Enjoy?

#55 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostLykaon, on 11 June 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Here is what you do.

See if they are 35 tons with jump jets or have at least 2 ballistic hardpoints and 2 energy hardpoints or at least an ECM slot if they do keep if not sell.

The remaining mechs with at least 2 ballistic and 2 energy check to see if they have jump jets if not sell.

Now that you have pared the selection down to "meta approved" chassis you will have no problem with feeling like you got ripped off.

Jenners
Raven 3L
Spiders
Firestarters

Shadowhawk 5M or 2D2
Cicada 3M (for ECM)

Cataphract 3D

Victors
Highlander 733C
Atlas DDC

Short list for weapons

AC5
AC10
AC20
Gauss Rifle
PPC
ER-PPC

ECM
BAP
AMS

This is distilled MWo.

Enjoy?

Balderdash. Meta is easy mode. Real men use tags and flamers only!

#56 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

View PostLykaon, on 11 June 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Here is what you do.

Jenners
Raven 3L
Spiders
Firestarters

Shadowhawk 5M or 2D2
Cicada 3M (for ECM)

Cataphract 3D

Victors
Highlander 733C
Atlas DDC

Short list for weapons

AC5
AC10
AC20
Gauss Rifle
PPC
ER-PPC

ECM
BAP
AMS

This is distilled MWo.

Enjoy?

must be boring for you.

Right now I'm running Stock mechs in the public queue for the most part. Stalker 4N, Highlander 733P, Cataphract 1X, Shadowhawk 2D, Commando 1B

Gotta challenge yourself if you want to be a better pilot.

Hunchback 4H and Awesome 8V are next two on my list.

#57 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostRussianWolf, on 11 June 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

must be boring for you.

Right now I'm running Stock mechs in the public queue for the most part. Stalker 4N, Highlander 733P, Cataphract 1X, Shadowhawk 2D, Commando 1B

I second this. Got bored with trying to shoehorn in the meta all the time, even if it did allow me to carry more. I've gone through many of the mechs, and I've settled on playing my CN9-A/YLW, GFN-1N, SHD-2D2, Quickdraws, ON1-K/P, BLR-1G, and AWS-9M.

I've avoided the Wolverines, Dragons, Jagers, Banshee, and Atlas. Just don't appeal to me.

Really wanted to get into Stock Match Mondays/wednesdays/saturdays. But I'm far from my real PC and a stable internet connection. Someday...*sigh*

Edited by Zeriniel, 11 June 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#58 Sergey Kosinskiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

Hmm guys i think its sarcasm.... see "enjoy" at the end?

#59 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostRussianWolf, on 11 June 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

must be boring for you.

It's boring and I have not played a match in 9 weeks.After the next patch I may give it another go but,MWo is not holding my attention these days due to poor mechanics design and obvious flaws in mechanics interaction.

I can challenge myself with the best of them and while doing it not supply my team mates with the best possible contribution from me to support them.

I just can't fully get past the concept of bringing a slingshot to a gunfight and call myself a useful contribution to my team.

My point was the game's limited meta is limiting and was sarcastic.I got bored soon after realizing that not playing meta was more than a choice it was choosing a handicap for myself AND my team.If this was a solo game I'm all in favor of chalenging myself I just do not feel I have the right to make that choice for 11 other players by bringing a less than ideal contribution.

Edited by Lykaon, 11 June 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#60 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostLykaon, on 11 June 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

It's boring and I have not played a match in 9 weeks.After the next patch I may give it another go but,MWo is not holding my attention these days due to poor mechanics design and obvious flaws in mechanics interaction.

I can challenge myself with the best of them and while doing it not supply my team mates with the best possible contribution from me to support them.

I just can't fully get past the concept of bringing a slingshot to a gunfight and call myself a useful contribution to my team.

My point was the game's limited meta is limiting and was sarcastic.I got bored soon after realizing that not playing meta was more than a choice it was choosing a handicap for myself AND my team.If this was a solo game I'm all in favor of chalenging myself I just do not feel I have the right to make that choice for 11 other players by bringing a less than ideal contribution.

Touche.
Partially a reason I'm on a hiatus until this fall. Hopefully (dear god hopefully) by then, all this crap will be balanced out.
On the flip side, playing metaless mechs helps drop your ELO until you're a rockstar of the underhive :lol:

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users