#21 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 11 June 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

Yeah...punishing people for being good aim is a good idea. :)

If the FLD boys were made to actually have to HOLD A TARGET for a period of time to deliver max damage (kinda like us laser boys have to do) then maybe you could claim that "skill" was being nerfed. As it stands now, all the FLD boys have to do is press a single button as the crosshair passes across the target........and it's a hell of a lot easier to time a button press than it is to hold a crosshair on a target when BOTH are moving.

The skill differential is substantial, just not noticeable in this game thanks to the mechanics and the vocal outreach of said meta FLD boys.

#22 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

View Postloopala, on 10 June 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

soon we all be running around with mechs wrapped in bubble wrap, shooting "real" nerf guns and ending every game in a 12/12 tie after 15 min of camping. well there will always be that 12/11 victory/defeat when some special snowflake figures out how to off them selves.

this is deeply ironic, considering the outcome of several of the recent tournament games

#23 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

Yeah...punishing people for being good aim is a good idea. :)
Funny how when catering to the lowest common denominators in a game the attempted skill nerfs become prevalent.

if you really think the ppc/ac are high skill weapons you must really suck at this game. the pinpoint fld weapons are the easiest weapons to aim/use in this game.

#24 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 11 June 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

if you really think the ppc/ac are high skill weapons you must really suck at this game. the pinpoint fld weapons are the easiest weapons to aim/use in this game.

Okay, yeah...because arty and lrm's take so much more skill than jump sniping. :)

Edited by xMEPHISTOx, 11 June 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#25 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 11 June 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

Okay, yeah...because arty and lrm's take so much more skill than jump sniping. :)

you dont aim lrm's or arty.....

Edited by Hellcat420, 11 June 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#26 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

exactly.

#27 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 11 June 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

exactly.

and yet jumpsniping is still easier than being effective with either lrm's and arty.

#28 hercules1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

Lots r saying mayb DOT for IS auto cannons, If they make another change to IS auto cannons I am uninstalling this game 4ever!

Edited by hercules1981, 11 June 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#29 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

View Posthercules1981, on 11 June 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

Lots r saying mayb DOT for IS auto cannons, If they make another change to IS auto cannons I am uninstalling this game 4ever!

all of the autocannons are supposed to be like that, not just the clan ac's. autocannons are supposed to be giant burst fire machineguns.

#30 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 11 June 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

and yet jumpsniping is still easier than being effective with either lrm's and arty.

Posted Image

#31 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 11 June 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

Posted Image

you can jumpsnipe all you want, but pretending it takes any skill or more than negligable aiming ability is laughable at best.

Edited by Hellcat420, 11 June 2014 - 06:29 PM.

#32 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

They never fixed the Pretty Baby so, no.

#33 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 11 June 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

you can jumpsnipe all you want, but pretending it takes any skill or more than negligable aiming ability is laughable at best.

I don't use jump snipers exclusively, I play a variety of mech types so as to avoid boredom, but I also don't make ridiculous ezmode claims about them as that would be a stupid thing to say. :)
Having spent a great many hours in different mech types I have concluded that lrms and arty takes the least amount of skill and effort, brawlers (of any type) and snipers take a greater amount of effort to be effective in, not going to get into the debate as to which of those 2 may be harder to play as I think that varies depending on individual pilots.

Edited by xMEPHISTOx, 11 June 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#34 Spades Kincaid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach SC

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 11 June 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

I don't use jump snipers exclusively, I play a variety of mech types so as to avoid boredom, but I also don't make ridiculous ezmode claims about them as that would be a stupid thing to say. :)

Kinda like this was.

Yeah...punishing people for being good aim is a good idea. :rolleyes:
Funny how when catering to the lowest common denominators in a game the attempted skill nerfs become prevalent.

Point and click PPFLD is easier than maintaining tracking on a location. So a move toward requiring the latter isn't punishing good aim or nerfing skill, it's requiring better aim and more skill. Which is why those 'nerfing skill' claims are always laughable.

#35 Adiuvo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 11 June 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Since it's so easy I'm assuming that means that you're good at it then, right?

#36 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostR Razor, on 11 June 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

If the FLD boys were made to actually have to HOLD A TARGET for a period of time to deliver max damage (kinda like us laser boys have to do) then maybe you could claim that "skill" was being nerfed. As it stands now, all the FLD boys have to do is press a single button as the crosshair passes across the target........and it's a hell of a lot easier to time a button press than it is to hold a crosshair on a target when BOTH are moving.

The skill differential is substantial, just not noticeable in this game thanks to the mechanics and the vocal outreach of said meta FLD boys.

You are talking about a nerf that lowers depth of gameplay. The payback for duration attacks vs single shot is they do more damage, and they do. By taking say Lasers or AC2's over an AC10, you are saying, "I can aim well and long enough to get that bonus damage".

Lowering depth of gameplay turns MWO into an arcade game where all weapons work the same they just have a different graphic applied to them. MWO will always take the Simulation path or they will lose 90 percent of their players. When everything is vanilla, this game is over and gone.

The Mechs are too weak to damage and PGI has applied alot of silly nerfs to Energy weapons to lower overall damage the Mechs can do, but even with Ghost heat and DHS 1.4, it's not enough, the Mechs still do too much damage. The assumption that FLD is the cause is an illusion because the duration attacks do more damage per payload ton used. The FLD weapons are just abrupt in whether they hit or miss or kill.

I hope PGI understands this and does not listen to the whiners this time. :)

#37 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 11 June 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

You are talking about a nerf that lowers depth of gameplay. The payback for duration attacks vs single shot is they do more damage, and they do. By taking say Lasers or AC2's over an AC10, you are saying, "I can aim well and long enough to get that bonus damage".

Go fight a couple of poptarts in a pug match in a laser-heavy build, see how that good aim works through a hillside for 70% of your beam duration while they all get their instant 30 damage off.

#38 Spades Kincaid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach SC

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 11 June 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Lowering depth of gameplay turns MWO into an arcade game where all weapons work the same they just have a different graphic applied to them. MWO will always take the Simulation path or they will lose 90 percent of their players. When everything is vanilla, this game is over and gone.

The Mechs are too weak to damage and PGI has applied alot of silly nerfs to Energy weapons to lower overall damage the Mechs can do, but even with Ghost heat and DHS 1.4, it's not enough, the Mechs still do too much damage. The assumption that FLD is the cause is an illusion because the duration attacks do more damage per payload ton used. The FLD weapons are just abrupt in whether they hit or miss or kill.

I hope PGI understands this and does not listen to the whiners this time. :)

So the tournament results showed depth of gameplay? There wasn't a single laser on anything over a light mech used by the winning team. The only missiles present was one Shd with streaks. And if you think that wasn't prevalent across the board you're kidding yourself. So the dominance of PPFLD is an illusion huh?

That's why one of them actually stated they 'played around' with other mechs/loadouts earlier on, but when they felt they needed to ensure the win, that composition was what they fielded.

I guess none of them "can aim well enough and long enough" to get that supposed bonus damage. So I guess they just aren't that good? Or, maybe if what are supposed to be some of the best players in the game can't do it well enough to make them a worthy option, then there's a problem with the PPFLD. Either way, thanks for making the point.

Edited by Spades Kincaid, 11 June 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#39 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostVespere Dax, on 10 June 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

I'm just calling it before it happens.

I exclusively play my DS and it's my favorite mech besides the my Cent D and YLW.
Every drop I see 3-4 of them on my team and 3-4 on the other team.

They nerfed it once. We saw more cataphracts 3D and a few less VTR-DS. However to see how many we're in the winning team on the tournament they have come back in fashion more then ever!

I don't know what I will pilot after the Burn VTR-DS to the worst mech this side of the inner-sphere...but hey..I played a Ret paladin in WoW so I'm used to...............

.....TO THE GROUND BABY!!!!.......................

Next huge nerf....TIMBER WOLF!

No they won't. ... because it is a hero mech and makes money

#40 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

View PostCreovex, on 11 June 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

No they won't. ... because it is a hero mech and makes money

Tell that to the Yen Lo-Wang, Golden Boy, 4-4, Death's Knell, Boar's Head, Loup de Guerre, X-5, Protector, Pretty Baby, Heavy Metal, Fang and Flame, Golden Boy, Jester, Grid Iron, Huginn and Oxide.

While I realize a lot of these mechs weren't specifically the target of nerfs, they were often hit even harder than regular variants. Some of them were DOA. Others were viable then nerfed into oblivion. Others are useable in the right hands, but guess what? So are other "bad" builds. Those that are good in those would often do far better in builds that weren't inherently broken or made obsolete by newer chassis that have similar, if not identical hard points with more armor or the added bonus of having jump jets.

Firebrand is iffy. Misery is arguably the best stalker. Arrow is a mini-JM6-DD with jump jets. Ilya Muromets was hit hard when the nerf bat took a swing at UAC5s, but it can still be decent. I don't even see enough of the La Malinche to have an opinion on it one way or the other.

Other than the Ember, I'm pretty sure they're not selling too many hero mechs besides the DS lately. Depending on how the fall damage change affects poptarting, we might not even see many DS sales after that either. If I were to consider one I'd definitely wait to see how the fall damage change plays out first, not to mention how it fares against clan mechs in the one role it's actually viable for (it's certainly not a brawler anymore).

Edited by Kassatsu, 11 June 2014 - 07:54 PM.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users