#21 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

Ah a "true" warrior, spoken as a proud wolf should. But what say you of the surge of pups who have yet to even prove themselves being sent to the front lines? Has Clan Wolf needed forces so badly that they have forgotten the trials or have they resorted to using the "lowly freebirths" that they have captured and use them as shock troops that can accomplish little!

Clan Wolf used to be the pride of the Clans....now it is mockery of what it was. After seeing this and realizing that the Crusaders have won, I couldn't stay with the Clan. I couldn't continue my original mission, the Great Houses could easily band together again if we attacked them now. But the Crusaders would not hear of it, in their impatience it will mean the end of us. So I choose to not be a part of this madness, better to fight for those with sense even, with their imperfections, than to join a mad crusade to ruin!

We have trials, I was honored in being able to view the Trial of Position of one of my fellow Clansmen, and it was a fantastic fight, fought with skill (and Victory) befitting his entry into the Clan Wolf warrior caste.

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

It is, but sometimes ya gotta poke the bear in order to get some discussion going. Besides its an observation of a trend, which most likely will fade in time as most trends do.

I enjoy discussing Lore, a lot.. I'll take the poke as an opportunity to enjoy some discussion. I'm not hopeful of it being facilitated by PGI.. they couldn't even do a low budget video for the clan invasion...

Edited by Livewyr, 10 June 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#22 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

OP your thread does not make any sense. You start with proposing a discution about a "good guy syndrome", which tells me you want to talk about the perseption readers would have about clan wolf. Or maybe how the faction itself is portrayed by the writers because they want that culture to be "the good guys". But this is not what you are doing.

You drop that premise to turn your post into a rant about players you do not think are good enough to play under the Clan Wolf name. People want to play under the Clan Wolf faction because they think Clan Wolf is cool, for what ever reason. They might like their cultural outlook with in the over all clan philosophy. They might just like wolves, and they found a clan named after wolves. They might like the clans and think all the other ones are silly or dumb in some way. Or they might have played MW2 and their only choices were clan Wolf, or Jade Falcon and they picked one and stuck with it ever sense.

The skill level of the players does not matter. Its the fact that they like a faction and want to be apart if it that does. If you think the players in that faction can, or should be better then why dont you get involved with the clan as a community. That why you can bring in those unskilled players and help them out.

#23 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 10 June 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

And they paid for it, by being out-played in every regard by the Wolves.
Wolves were narrowly defeated in the Trial of Refusal.. by 4 to 1 odds.
Wolves did Revival better than the others, even while being against the idea, because they planned ahead.
Wolves did Tukayyid FAR better than the others, because they planned ahead.
2/3rds of the Wolf Clan lost to the entirety of Jade Falcons (including a dishonorable ending of the ilKahn.) and 2/3rds of the Wolf clan left them unable to pursue Revival.

Hey, guess what...the writers really liked Clan Wolf. Now, perhaps when CW comes and you can actually prove Clan Wolf's obvious superiority to everybody, I will believe, but until then, fluff written by biased writers does not really make me believe that Clan Wolf is anything other than the White Knight that is magically superior to everybody else, the protagonist of an action movie, so to speak. Also, I will just throw this thread in here: http://mwomercs.com/...the-smart-guys/

Edited by 101011, 10 June 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#24 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

View Post101011, on 10 June 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hey, guess what...the writers really liked Clan Wolf. Now, perhaps when CW comes and you can actually prove Clan Wolf's obvious superiority to everybody, I will believe, but until then, fluff written by biased writers does not really make me believe that Clan Wolf is anything other than the White Knight that is magically superior to everybody else, the protagonist of an action movie, so to speak. Also, I will just throw this thread in here: http://mwomercs.com/...the-smart-guys/

Well.. the Hero in any story is only the Hero because it's in the script.. what's your point?

#25 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostMonsoon, on 10 June 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

Nah, they're mostly all good, with elements of corruption here and there....except the Capellan Confederation, they're pretty much all scum. ^_^

We're quite honest about it.

#26 HellFox83

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationThe FoxDen

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 10 June 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

OP your thread does not make any sense. You start with proposing a discution about a "good guy syndrome", which tells me you want to talk about the perseption readers would have about clan wolf. Or maybe how the faction itself is portrayed by the writers because they want that culture to be "the good guys". But this is not what you are doing.

You drop that premise to turn your post into a rant about players you do not think are good enough to play under the Clan Wolf name. People want to play under the Clan Wolf faction because they think Clan Wolf is cool, for what ever reason. They might like their cultural outlook with in the over all clan philosophy. They might just like wolves, and they found a clan named after wolves. They might like the clans and think all the other ones are silly or dumb in some way. Or they might have played MW2 and their only choices were clan Wolf, or Jade Falcon and they picked one and stuck with it ever sense.

The skill level of the players does not matter. Its the fact that they like a faction and want to be apart if it that does. If you think the players in that faction can, or should be better then why dont you get involved with the clan as a community. That why you can bring in those unskilled players and help them out.

As has been stated in the end it doesn't matter as factions mean nothing more than a label. We already have tutorials and attempts to get people to join teams but in the end they won't mostly because people are selfish and are only really interested in getting that momentary fight in before going back to a beer watching a stream.

The whole thread was born out of the annoyance of seeing a bunch of guys wearing a tag that just seems to doom teams from my observations. In the end the whining won't help them as they won't even bother to read these forums and they just like having a tag that looks cool. Why start a forum thread on it? Well........because I can *evil grin*. You're under the premise I am out to get someone, perhaps or I'm just noting something I have seen happen so many times that I frankly care not about stepping on someone's feelings. I can instruct if they bother to even seek out instruction but most of the time they won't as is their right.

#27 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

As has been stated in the end it doesn't matter as factions mean nothing more than a label. We already have tutorials and attempts to get people to join teams but in the end they won't mostly because people are selfish and are only really interested in getting that momentary fight in before going back to a beer watching a stream.

The whole thread was born out of the annoyance of seeing a bunch of guys wearing a tag that just seems to doom teams from my observations. In the end the whining won't help them as they won't even bother to read these forums and they just like having a tag that looks cool. Why start a forum thread on it? Well........because I can *evil grin*. You're under the premise I am out to get someone, perhaps or I'm just noting something I have seen happen so many times that I frankly care not about stepping on someone's feelings. I can instruct if they bother to even seek out instruction but most of the time they won't as is their right.

I'm hoping that any tag wearing person I run into at least has an affiliation with a specific unit, so they can be accountable for advancing that faction's standing. (Purely a hope, as it cannot be enforced.)

*pictures a Laio creating a smurf Davion account to undermine Davion's team effort in randoms*

Totally within the Liao playbook.

#28 HellFox83

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationThe FoxDen

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 10 June 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

We have trials, I was honored in being able to view the Trial of Position of one of my fellow Clansmen, and it was a fantastic fight, fought with skill (and Victory) befitting his entry into the Clan Wolf warrior caste.

I enjoy discussing Lore, a lot.. I'll take the poke as an opportunity to enjoy some discussion. I'm not hopeful of it being facilitated by PGI.. they couldn't even do a low budget video for the clan invasion...

True that, I expect more of an in-game mech splosion montage more than anything. Much like Planetside 2's splosion montage of its PS4 release. ER MAH GERD! PS4 GUYS! ER MAH GERD CLAN MECHS GUYS! I can still recall my first entry into MW2 as a Wolf, feeling that sense of pride as the narrator talked to you about your clan's beliefs on the shuttle ride in. I also recall the ultimate victory at the end of that game, when the narrator (and you yourself after all that fighting) finally reached the end of your journey.

Now its explosion montages with a rock n roll soundtrack. Eh...such is the age we live in.

#29 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

As an Inner Sphere house Mech pilot now we don't adhere to trials. If you want to settle it we'll meet on the field. Or...maybe we won't it all lies in the hands of the Match Maker.

I know at least 2 people in this thread ready, willing and able to provide the 2 of you with a 1:1 private match (LIvewyr and myself). SO the MM is wholly irrelevant to the matter at hand.. Timezones are the only thing that can save you now ^_^

Edited by Zerberus, 10 June 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#30 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Yupp.. Clan Wolf was the darling of a few writers and thus got a very good "reputation" even if we disregard the fact that most simple was the same brand of a-hat as the rest of the clans. In fact if we should go by the sanest and most balanced (from a IS pov) it would be CGB.

As for that whole "all scrubs go here"... Yupp... You totem alone will cause that... Enjoy them... I am sure the draconians are glad to be rid of them. =P

#31 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

What is "Good Guy" Syndrome? This is the behavior I have noted of players joining a faction simply because they are the perceived good guys of a series or game. Clan wolf since Mechwarrior 2 has been noted as the "good" clan out of the clans. But this reputation and belief about them unfortunately has caused a surge of players joining Clan Wolf that are really not that great. In fact much of them are rabble, that often times cause a defeat for a team more than anything.

This behavior as I noted is nothing new, in Planetside 2 when it launched many players joined NC since they were "freedom fighters" fighting against religious extremism (VS), or military tyranny (TR). Even farther back I am sure WoW had a bunch of people join Alliance with the belief of them being good guys.

Unfortunately it means that Clan Wolf's reputation as a faction will be seen as kind of a joke. When me and my friends see a bunch of Clan Wolf guys, we go, " Oh look we have 8 Clan Wolf guys on our team. Anyone want to take a bet on how fast we'll lose this?" Each time we've seen a large number of Clan Wolf guys on a team they have not done well at all.

So I guess the joke is, you see 1 Clan Wolf guy he must be a badass or at least know what hes doing. You see a bunch of them and you expect a shoddy performance. The exact opposite of what you would expect from a pack of wolves.

Why does this matter? Well not really, just noting a behavior through the years of playing these games involving factions and really as a Wolf from Mechwarrior 2 myself, seeing my Clan's name go down as a joke is kind of....sad really...but oh well such is the ebb and flow of videogames.

There are many who claim to be with Clan Wolf that are not actually part of an organized group of wolves. There will likely be many off shoots of the larger more organized units in the future I expect as well. This clan is one of the most popular, so I expect anyone who wants to be a wolf will switch their faction tags. However, there is a difference between running CW tags in game, and being a part of an organized competitive clan.

The other night, some guy asked us if we were going to be useless dropping in a 4 man of Delta Galaxy Wolves. I asked what he was talking about and he mentioned a 4 man of missile boats that was "worthless". So his snide remark got him the answer he was looking for on the end game screen when our 4 man had the 4 of the top 5 damages in the match and managed a meager 7 kills. My comment was..."hope we were worthless enough for you...", to which I conveniently received no response.

So, my thoughts run toward the fact that some IS houses in game are considered a joke as well. For example, when I see certain faction tags in game, I expect to ROFLstomp them without even trying. This is just more of the same with the rampant groups that will be running Clan Wolf tags, but are not organized.

#32 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

True that, I expect more of an in-game mech splosion montage more than anything. Much like Planetside 2's splosion montage of its PS4 release. ER MAH GERD! PS4 GUYS! ER MAH GERD CLAN MECHS GUYS! I can still recall my first entry into MW2 as a Wolf, feeling that sense of pride as the narrator talked to you about your clan's beliefs on the shuttle ride in. I also recall the ultimate victory at the end of that game, when the narrator (and you yourself after all that fighting) finally reached the end of your journey.

Now its explosion montages with a rock n roll soundtrack. Eh...such is the age we live in.

I recently found this video I did from Oct 2012 (right after NDA removal).. bad video, good memories.

(Oh CN9-AH, how I miss thee.)

If clans inspire me enough, I'll probably remake it from the cockpit of my Dire Wolf and Timberwolf. (Perhaps my Stormcrow as well.)

#33 Toadkillerdog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostLunatech, on 10 June 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

So... like Davion for the IS?

*flame retardant suit, online*

yeah, Davion is definitely considered the "Good Guys", but that doesn't mean everyone plays as them. Some of us choose our group based on ethnicity, or as a joke (hence why I was Space Viking for awhile), and still others actually detest being the good guys. That's why you have so many people playing as Sith or Horde or such in MMOs, a lot of us don't want to be the good guys anymore

#34 HellFox83

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationThe FoxDen

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

View PostGyrok, on 10 June 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

There are many who claim to be with Clan Wolf that are not actually part of an organized group of wolves. There will likely be many off shoots of the larger more organized units in the future I expect as well. This clan is one of the most popular, so I expect anyone who wants to be a wolf will switch their faction tags. However, there is a difference between running CW tags in game, and being a part of an organized competitive clan.

The other night, some guy asked us if we were going to be useless dropping in a 4 man of Delta Galaxy Wolves. I asked what he was talking about and he mentioned a 4 man of missile boats that was "worthless". So his snide remark got him the answer he was looking for on the end game screen when our 4 man had the 4 of the top 5 damages in the match and managed a meager 7 kills. My comment was..."hope we were worthless enough for you...", to which I conveniently received no response.

So, my thoughts run toward the fact that some IS houses in game are considered a joke as well. For example, when I see certain faction tags in game, I expect to ROFLstomp them without even trying. This is just more of the same with the rampant groups that will be running Clan Wolf tags, but are not organized.

Of course, its the nature of factions and the ease by which to enter them these days. Just like it was for me in Planetside 2, went through the same process till I eventual found my place mostly due to friends. Just like it is with my current faction, only in it because my friends are in it.

View PostToadkillerdog, on 10 June 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

yeah, Davion is definitely considered the "Good Guys", but that doesn't mean everyone plays as them. Some of us choose our group based on ethnicity, or as a joke (hence why I was Space Viking for awhile), and still others actually detest being the good guys. That's why you have so many people playing as Sith or Horde or such in MMOs, a lot of us don't want to be the good guys anymore

True that, I'm sure there is plenty of guys in the community who want to buck the trend of people choosing that faction because its popular. Its something that will most likely balance it out over time.

#35 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

People may join a video game faction for any reason they choose, and it behooves one to respect others regardless of personal ability.

Keep in mind, you are never as good as you think you are, and while you regard the person to your left as being a "scrub", the person on your right may feel the same about you. Even you are not, just remember the adage about pride and falling.

Personally, I have taken a hiatus from the game so that when the clans launch, it will seem fresh, but I plan to welcome the assistance of any trueborn warriors on the field. I would implore others to do the same.

#36 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostLunatech, on 10 June 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

So... like Davion for the IS?

*flame retardant suit, online*

Pretty much.

#37 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 10 June 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Well.. the Hero in any story is only the Hero because it's in the script.. what's your point?

This pretty much. I've read all the older BTech Books and a few of the newer Mechwarrior series. I connected mostly with Victor as a character moreso than any of the Steiners, Liaos, Mariks, or Kuritas (though I appreciate Theodore not being as blind and full of hate like his father)

#38 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

Wolf, Hellfox83 just called you a joke. Are you gonna stand for that? Wait, and a mockery. At this point you should probably just annihilate his entire bloodline.

I mean, it is Hellfox83. It took 82 Hellfoxes to get to this form.

#39 HellFox83

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationThe FoxDen

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 10 June 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

I recently found this video I did from Oct 2012 (right after NDA removal).. bad video, good memories.

(Oh CN9-AH, how I miss thee.)

If clans inspire me enough, I'll probably remake it from the cockpit of my Dire Wolf and Timberwolf. (Perhaps my Stormcrow as well.)

I may not have a kill montage of MWO to match you but I do have something. Its a silly lil fanfic thing but then again I am just a silly man.

#40 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

New "pups" will not know what is good, what is bad, who is a good guy or not, a new "pup" would need to research all that themselves... no effort has been made to really show any of the factions or who they are on this site.

Only BT Nerds know that Wolf were gooder guys.

Cept, y'know, for Vlad.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users