* * * * * 1 votes

Clan Logo Poll

376 replies to this topic

Poll: Clan Logo Poll (2313 member(s) have cast votes)

Which series of Clan Logos would you prefer to see used?

1. Voted Classic / Traditional (Proposed) (1677 votes [72.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.53%

2. Voted Modern / Re-imagined (Current) (635 votes [27.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.47%

Vote

#281 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

I really like the modern clan logos. I also think that the CGB logo should have less of an upward tilt, but it's still nice-looking.

The classic ones are nice too. The only modern one that I think is flat-out superior to the classic ones is the Jade Falcon logo. New one looks totally badass. The old one always made me wonder why the big doofy bird was carrying the sword. New one looks like he's going to go kill somebody with it.

Edited by Xarian, 11 June 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#282 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostXarian, on 11 June 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

The old one always made me wonder why the big doofy bird was carrying the sword.

The image comes from the story of Elizabeth Hazen (one of the original founders of the Jade Falcon Clan) and what happened after the death of Aaron DeChavilier. It is a story every Jade Falcon Cadet must memorize. The "Bird" is Turkina. Read the Jade Falcon Sourcebook, pages 10 and 11, and wonder no more.

#283 Dragunz Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

I CAN NOT overstate how torn I am with this vote!!! I LOVE the new Jade Falcon design!!! The old one is a bit bland IMO and though the sword needs to be un-shadowed in the new one it gets my personal vote to stay. That being said, the rest of them all need help IMO. The Ghost Bears the most, but i don't like any of the other redesigns. The Wolf looks a bit over exaggerated, the bear is sneezing, and the panther should not be blacked out. Though it pains me as I am a Jade Falcon i had to vote for the originals. I will deal with my bland falcon so that your symbols will not draw snickers.... :lol:

#284 ShadowWolf Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 10 June 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

I think these votes run parallel to the thread I had a couple days ago in feature suggestions. Three quarters of the votes are for classic refresh one quarter for modern.

Thread closed. Can we have classic as forum icons now? I can stop being Clan sneezy/drunk Bear.

I think that's mostly due to even those liking the modern, 3/4s of them also want a bit of modern and classic. Didn't see too many that were solely modern.

#285 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

I actually really like the touchup on the classic ghost bear logo. It still could have less... eyes... but otherwise great. I could pick nits (Why is the Jade Falcon centered rather than offset left? Why does Wolf have a tongue? What kind of mangled legs is Smoke Jaguar hiding off the frame?), but they are an improvement over the rather too-animated ones.

#286 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

I wish you guys would let us vote on them individually. While I think the jade Falcon and wolf look better classic, I think jaguar and ghost bear look better in the new look. Just my opinion.

#287 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

You guys should have just stuck either the classic looks and just crisped them up a bit. The new ones are ok but people are just going to pick them apart in every little detail.

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 11 June 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#288 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all, but the classic logos are just boring.

I do agree, if they would just fix Clan Ghost Bear, I think the majority of people would be happy with the Re-imagined logos.

#289 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Lesson in "Designing Logos": Squint Your Eyes, very tight, to the point where things are blurry.

If your can't really "read" the logo, then the logo is bad. In this case, the "classic" logos all pass the test very well, where as the other logos *require* some of the small details (which are lost when squinting or at distance) to make sense.

Seriously, where did the Graphics people go to school that didn't teach them this very basic design test? Oh wait ... Public School ... or should I say: Government Run schools who's main intent is to really mass produce sheep. Got it ... never mind ... carry on.

#290 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Smoke Jaguar new one. No debate. The old one was always the most boring of them all.

Never been a fan of the Ghost Bear Icons, but I prefer the new one. But please, just bring it's mouth down a little, that's what's killing the picture. Removing the random Orange that contrasts soo hard with the calming blue+white them would help too.

I loved playing Jade Falcon and I played them much more than Clan Wolf in Mechwarrior 2 as a kid. I prefered the Jade Falcon theme over the Wolf theme as a kid. With that said, I love that you slimmed it down, even in the more classic version you posted. Both of them look better than the original, but I'd have to say the new design.

Clan Wolf however, I prefer the original. Considering it's basicly the best of the best when it comes to the old icons. The icon for Wolf was the main reason why I liked Clan Wolf in the first place because of how perfect it was. The new icon is alright, but it's trying too hard to be fierce that it makes it look like a brainless feral animal (and less like a wolf and more like other canines). Considering Clan Wolf seem to be the "smart guys", and the most wardenlike of the clans, the new icon does not reflect Clan Wolf that well, and instead makes it represent clans in general more. The old icon does reflect that stuff well, it may not have the intimidation that all clans are supposed to have.

In Short:
Smoke Jagaur. Major Improvement
Ghost bear - No real opinion, leaning slightly towards new
Jade Falcon - Prefer the new
Clan Wolf - While looking alright, it loses the focus of what makes Clan Wolf, Clan Wolf. Unfortunately it had to compete with one of the best of the old clan icons. So I prefer the old.

3/4 is pretty good imo. :lol:

#291 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostRedshirt enraged, on 11 June 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Well,it seems the "Everything was better in the good old days" faction is about to win. ;)

It seems like we need to have a frank discussion about babies and bathwater.

#292 Nash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 658 posts
  • LocationGermany, Freiburg

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

ghost bear:

classic

jade falcon:

would be a mixture from classic and new be cool (the sword and falcon from the new and the background from the classic)

wolf:

classic

smoke jaguar:

new

#293 Perilthecat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

It's really too bad. We finally had a shot at something new. Aaaand it's gone.

I didn't like the new art when I first saw it. The Ghost Bear's beady little eyes. Wolf looking way too much like the 9-tails demon fox from Naruto. Smoke Jaguar being really evocative of a college basketball team. C'mon, big orange ball?!

But the old ones... they are soooooo old! Are we really expected to take Clan Jade Pigeon seriously? If only the mild refresh was more medium than mild. A little spice never hurts! Unless you have IBS I guess.

And those are my thoughts, thrown out into the gentle breeze of the internet.

#294 Raby760

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Glad to see the votes are in favor of the classics. I've been playing MechWarrior since 1995, as well as a lot of us, and these redesigns are an insult. Glad to see that they are listening to the veteran players who ARE MechWarriors. It's disgusting that people try to put their own spin on things, just like with Michael Bay's Transformers, Jar-Jar Abrams' Star Trek 90210, etc.

Now they just have to get rid of that stupid "Hula girl is not a lie" line. What the hell does that even mean anyway? Also, they should get rid of the stupid kill music.

#295 SemperDie

• PipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Change the logos back for everything except the hanging items. Leave the hanging cockpit items as the new logos and lets just call it artistic.

Thanks, keep up the good work.

#296 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

I don't outright hate the "modern" art...but the issue is that the classics have been around for so long and been used for showing Clan allegiance for almost 25 years it seems silly to reinvent wheel on something that didn't need it. The new art is bright and colorful but they aren't the originals so it just isn't right to change it.

The art itself for the modern stuff isn't bad, but it's just not original Battletech. The main logos need to remain the same just as the Inner Sphere is because that is what the logos are.

Classic art please. (Without any hate on the new stuff. It's still good art!)

Edited by Jack Gallows, 11 June 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#297 wurblewind

Rookie

• The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCentral US

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostCimarb, on 10 June 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

Ideally, I would like to see the high contrast version as the in game logo (player icon and mech decal), but the high detail version on forum icon and any cockpit items...

I have to agree with this, especially due to how the redesigns appear to clash with the classic House Banners

I'm also open to the idea of updated House emblems that follow a similar pattern. We'll see how it goes. ;)

#298 Leigus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSierra, Free Worlds League

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

Shapes/colors (most important for in-game icons) I prefer the classic, but I feel that the classic could use a bit more of the stylism of the re-imagined one.

Honestly, the re-imagined ghost bear looks completely fine (in game and in forums) and the other just need slight tweaks in color definition (between the animal and the banner) and scale to make the shapes more prominent at small size. Still voting classic because it satisfies more of the important points.

#299 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

why not keep both sets and let people decide what they would use?

#300 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostEcliptor, on 11 June 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

why not keep both sets and let people decide what they would use?

Currently they said it's a coding issue, but it could be possible in the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users