Dire Wolf Or Warhawk?

46 replies to this topic

#1 IronLichRich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

I will only be able to get one clan mech before the 17th and as an assault junkie, it will be between those two mechs. My gut says dire wolf for the extra armor, but the warhawk is a murder machine that also isn't slow as hell, so I thought I would come here and see what people thought.

#2 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

Personally, I would go for the Dire Wolf for the reason you stated above.

#3 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

You've basically answered your own question. Dire Wolf for more armour and weaponry at the expense of speed. Warhawk for more mobility.

Which do you prefer?

Personally, I'd take the Warhawk. A 100ton mech with a 300 rated engine is just too slow for the game as it is now, imho.

Consider the Timber Wolf though, as everything points to it being the most competitive Clan mech.

Edited by Lunatech, 10 June 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#4 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

Warhawk, full stop.

The Dire Wolf has an absolutely stupid amount of pod space available to it – and everyone knows it. The thing is slow as a drunken mountain and just about as maneuverable, and I guarantee it’ll be Priority Target #2, right behind the Timber Wolves. And/or any gold ‘Mechs on the field.

The Warhawk, on the other hand, kicks it up a twitch over 70kph after Tweak, which works well enough to get it into the fight before the fight’s over. It loses fifteen, twenty tons of pod space to the Dire Wolf, but considering that the Dire Wolf has 50.5 tons of that crap, the loss is less significant than one would think. You can load plenty of firepower on the Warhawk, and what’s more the Warhawk can actually put it to proper use.

‘Course, I’m a light/medium junky who’s jonesing for his Stormcrows and will be grabbing Fire Moths the minute they actually come available, so take that as you will.

#5 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

I'd get both if possible. But if you want a slow, completely murderous gunbag, the Dire Wolf is the way to go. If you want to be as nimble as a Succession Wars heavy (like the Orion or Thunderbolt), go Warhawk. I think they will both play slightly differently, with one having more pod space than the other. On the flip side the Warhawk has more speed.

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Direwolf will be available much sooner for MC/CB, too.

#7 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

Well I got both, but I'd say Dire Wolf because it looks like the most badass of the bunch. Who cares if you're a priority target? You'll just be getting more kills and your slow speed won't matter because they'll all come to you anyway.

The Warhawk looks good too, but I fear it will just be too damn hot to be effective.

#8 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Warhawk if you plan on buying the other one for Cbills. Direwolf is out in September.

That said I'd get the direwolf because it's the most Iconic Clan Assault and will be hillariously fun to play. It will be the only Assault mech in the game that could boat autocannons effectively and it's 300 engine will make it handle like a fat snail at first. Once mastered though, if you go by the Atlas example it will be slow but fairly nimble on the torso side of things.

I for one am sick of Assault mechs moving about like heavies (looking at you Victor). Firepower and armor at the cost of speed is their design purpose.

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 11 June 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#9 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

I chose warhawk for personal reasons but I essentially had the same issue your having: The Dire wolf will be the second 100 tonner to touch down on MWO soil so it brings alot of pressence to the battlefield while the warhawk is fairly fast, but considerably lighter and it has that flabby old lady arm fat of a missile launcher; also its featured equipment (The targeting computer) is a massive paperweight untill the patch 'after' the 17th, whenever that might be.

#10 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

That's why I say get both. It's the only way to be sure.

#11 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

I had the same issue and i took the Masakari then.

The Dire Wolf ist available for purchase already in September or August (??), much earlier than the Masakari.
The Masakari looks awesome
It has 4 ER PPCs!!! ( :))
I just played an Atlas once so i dont have much practice in piloting a big and slow 100t badass such like Atlas or Daishi, so i would have maybe been dissapointed(?) then... but i mastered 4 chassis of the battlemaster, so i know what to expect from a 85t machine, and i was never disappointed(which is the correct way to write it? i am german...)

#12 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

Well its a trade. Firepower for speed.

The Warhawk will be able to reach speeds of about 70kph. Pretty nimble for an assault. It will still pack a big punch too.

The Dire Wolf is going to max out at about 53kph but is just a walking arsenal.

If I could only pick one I'd go for the Dire Wolf. Lots of the Clan mechs will be fast and have a big punch but nothing is going to punch as hard as the Dire Wolf.

#13 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

I had same issue, then I decided and bought both :)

#14 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostArchie4Strings, on 11 June 2014 - 10:58 PM, said:

i mastered 4 chassis of the battlemaster, so i know what to expect from a 85t machine, and i was never disappointed(which is the correct way to write it? i am german...)

That is the correct way to phrase it. Your English is quite good.

#15 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

Pretty sure one of the warhwaks has a ballistic slot, looking forward to that one, speed is also a benefit of the Warhawk. You just cant beat the firepower of the Direwolf though but it is slow. So as other have sad which playstyle do you prefer? and go with that!

#16 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Warhawk Prime: 4E, 1M
Warhawk A: 2E, 1B, 2M
Warhawk B: 1B, 4E, 3M

All Warhawk variants include a Targeting Computer, though the TC is not actually fixed and can be removed for custom variants. The ‘Mech has plenty of hardpoint diversity amongst its various variants. It can’t match the Dire Wolf for raw, staggering firepower, but then nothing can, and raw, staggering firepower is also the only thing the Dire Wolf has going for it.

#17 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

View Post1453 R, on 12 June 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

Warhawk Prime: 4E, 1M
Warhawk A: 2E, 1B, 2M
Warhawk B: 1B, 4E, 3M

All Warhawk variants include a Targeting Computer, though the TC is not actually fixed and can be removed for custom variants. The ‘Mech has plenty of hardpoint diversity amongst its various variants. It can’t match the Dire Wolf for raw, staggering firepower, but then nothing can, and raw, staggering firepower is also the only thing the Dire Wolf has going for it.

LOL, true . . . but that is a pretty good thing to have going for it.

#18 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

Warhawk, its got reasonable firepower in its 4 ER PPC, reasonable amounts of armor and still retains some degree of agility, mobility and speed.

Sure, the Direwolf has obscene amounts of armor and can carry more guns then the all the US Navy Battleships in WWII, but when your that big, that sluggish and that slow, you will likely be hammered and hit from every...single...angle...always. You will get to the fight to late most times. You will be easy to circle jerk...........

There does come a time when packing on 500 guns and having heaping amounts of armor is just...not practical?

I mean, look at the German Maus, King Tiger, JagdTiger. Sure, they all had the biggest guns around, more armor then the entire Allied army's tanks combined. Sure they blew the hell out of everything, but in the end, they didnt accomplish much but being air strike targets.

#19 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

If we are going to be able to swap arms and the hard points from different variants, the Warhawk should have some varied builds and speed to get in the fight.

#20 Krostif

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

dire wolf for me heavy armor and looooots off weapons =D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users