Jump Capable Medium Mechs

12 replies to this topic

#1 zencynic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

While I was trying to figure out the model variants for the starting line up of 10-12 mechs, something occoured to me. If the medium weight class consists of...

Cicada CDA-2A
Centurion CN9-A
Hunchback HBK-4G

and these designs have not been modified by PGI, we have a staring mech ecosystem with no medium jump-capable mechs. (assuming I have not made some other mistake :lol: )

*** I suggest having at least one jump capable medium mech at launch. Thank you

#2 macmerritt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

Wow you missed the new mech post by only two minutes mate. They just announced the Trebuchet. A medium jump capable mech, at leat one variant anyways.

#3 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostMacMerritt, on 20 June 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

Wow you missed the new mech post by only two minutes mate. They just announced the Trebuchet. A medium jump capable mech, at leat one variant anyways.

The Trebuchet has NO jumpjets.

#4 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostAndar89, on 20 June 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

The Trebuchet has NO jumpjets.

The 5J variant has jumpjets.

#5 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

The default one seems to be 5N, not 5J. So, no JJs unless you tinker with it.

#6 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostIceSerpent, on 20 June 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

The default one seems to be 5N, not 5J. So, no JJs unless you tinker with it.

There is a pleasant surprise for you if you just look about a bit. Each mech will have at least 3-4 variants.
Read the dev blogs and the Ask the dev threads answers threads.

#7 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Well it sucks that for the time the best JJ mediums are the unseen. With the Phoneix Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, and Griffin currently being in mech limbo (or until MWO unveils their own reseen version :)) some of the best medium designs are unavailable. The Dervish and Enforcer would have been good JJ choices, especially with me flying the sword and sun ;), so maybe they will pop up.

#8 zencynic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 20 June 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

There is a pleasant surprise for you if you just look about a bit. Each mech will have at least 3-4 variants.

OP specifies starting line up. Reading the Dev blobs and dev answer threads and such (twitter feed, i'm looking at you...) mention giving us one of the Prime Variants for free. I ask again, please let one of the starting choos-able medium mechs be jump capable.

#9 Harabec Weathers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons, Mars

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'm pretty sure you won't have to buy one of the "Prime variants" before you buy a variant chassis and its very likely that the variant chassis models will be available for purchase right away.

#10 zencynic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostHarabec Weathers, on 20 June 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure you won't have to buy one of the "Prime variants" before you buy a variant chassis and its very likely that the variant chassis models will be available for purchase right away.

From the May Dev chat on Twitter
http://www.pixelhunt...hat-on-twitter/

Q: How will the player’s initial ‘mech(s) be selected?
A: Players will get 1 free mech to start. They can chose from 4 1 in each class – light, med, heavy, assault (Bryan)
A: You will be able to choose from a selection based on the role you want to play (Russ)

If there are no jump capable medium mechs choosable at launch, that will not be the end of all things. This isn't a big thing, but it is a thing. There has been some concern by some members on these boards that medium mechs have a less clear role than the other weight classes. Their strong suit seems to be flexibility - the ability to float around from role to role as needed. I was not a big fan of jump jets personally in the previous MechWarrior PC titles, but I see that the have a place.

Elite and Legendary founders package purchasers will likely be playing their founder's mechs, not rushing off to buy a variant medium. Veteran founders package purchasers might, but their numbers are surprisingly few according to http://mwomercs.com/...ers-pack-sales/. That leaves the 100% F2P player.

*** I suggest having a jump capable medium mech available as a starting choice for 100% F2P players. I can think of no better mech for a casual player to dabble in many roles such as scouting, raiding, fire-support and brawling.

#11 Harabec Weathers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons, Mars

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

That doesn't mention that it has to be a certain variant, maybe you can take that Jump Capable Trebuchet variant as your first mech. Or maybe its just like the founder's pack and your first mech choices are rigidly JR7-D Jenner, HBK-4G Hunchback, CPLT-C1 Catapult, AS7-D Atlas. Maybe that interview, which is a month old, has outdated info and during beta things have changed.

We really don't know.

Edited by Harabec Weathers, 20 June 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#12 MrM1971

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

there are plenty jump jet capable meduim mechs for them to choose without going to the unseen list

give them some time to add them im sure they will till then we can hope that the trenchbucket jump jet varient is added

#13 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 20 June 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

It would be a pleasant surprise if all possible variants were available from the start, but I can't find any reference to that. Can you post a link to such?

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users