Art Video

115 replies to this topic

#41 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

The art style doesn't really matter at all, the animations looked good though and it was well done (people seem to not know that battlemechs are far more agile than they are in game)

#42 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Sweet! As a Hunchie pilot myself, I revel in the thought of Falcon Punching another Mech.

Pure, sweet awesomeness!

Let's get Guillermo del Toro to do it! ;)

#43 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostAppogee, on 29 June 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

With all due respect to the artistic talents of the creators, I hope they don't persist with the faux anime look and overwrought anime cliches.

MechWarrior isn't Gundam or Robotech.

Wrong, BattleTech technically is RoboTech. Technically... uh... well, the original concept for them anyway. BattleTech BattleMechs are much more agile than the MechWarrior ones. MechWarrior really got it wrong, but not in a bad way.

I say this video was awesome, the artist was great, the artstyle was great and the animation style quite refreshing. I'm sick of seeing stiff robots stare at each other. ;)

#44 Aegic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

Question- "How far will you go?"

Answer- "Not far enough to get in that Locust!"

J/K I have all 3 little buggers mastered.

#45 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

i love this lets hope this pans out so we can get some thing out of it bt needs a movie or tv show one that gets more then 13 eps any way or at least get to the end of it story

#46 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostOmni 13, on 30 June 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

The art style doesn't really matter at all, the animations looked good though and it was well done (people seem to not know that battlemechs are far more agile than they are in game)

Yes they're more agile but they aren't THAT agile. We're talking 08th MS here not Gundam SEED.

#47 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 10 August 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

Wrong, BattleTech technically is RoboTech.
I'm talking about the stories, the lore, the style.

BattleTech is nothing like anime robots in any of these regards.

#48 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostAppogee, on 22 September 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Well, maybe not quite as agile human-like, but when I played BT and read the books back ages, before I really got into the video games, I certainly saw the 'Mechs as more human like in their movement, rather than the 'tanks-with-legs' that MechWarrior games have depicted.

While I wouldn't compare BattleTech to Gundam, it's still not as static and lifeless as the MechWarrior games show it as.

#49 Knight2416

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLevin, New Zealand

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:20 PM

Looks great, I would love a live action Mechwarrior movie, but anime is good too.

#50 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 22 September 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

While I wouldn't compare BattleTech to Gundam, it's still not as static and lifeless as the MechWarrior games show it as.

On this we can agree.

BattleTech envisages Mechs which are neurologically controlled in a fluid and holistic manner, something which would be hard to emulate in a computer game which must rely on switches and buttons.

However - and this is important - the laws of physics apply in a much more realistic way in BattleTech than they do in anime. For example, the motive forces necessary to get 100t of metal moving I feel are much better represented in BT books and lore. It's quite more grounded than the anime robot series, which adopted the kind of moves seen in "martial arts + magic" genres, with Mechs skating/leaping/flying/hanging in the air in ways which would never be physically possible.

#51 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

um on that phisics thing it depens very much on anime what you are watching and its not waight its the power vs waight ratio thats important
if you can find it two very good example of realistic mechs in anime are dougram the fang of the sun and votoms
in some way there 2 searies are more realistic then battletech though they do not elaberate on the specs to the viewer as much as much battletech but very few things do so its not 100% fair to hold it agenst them

#52 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

Firstly,
I SUPPORT THIS!!! >.<

On the matter of the "faux anime" look, lets not forget that the actual conception of the Battletech board game was influenced heavily by animated mecha titles, and even ran into copyright issues with some of its earlier mech designs (Google: Battletech Unseen, Crusher Joe, Macross, Dougram). As such, I don't believe it would be bad at all if a Mech Warrior movie was done like an anime...

:P

...In fact, the anime nerd screaming from within me would prefer it that way. And scratch movie, how about a 50 episode series?

:blink: I'm starting to drool.

#53 andrewkhlim

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

No matter what form it took, It would be cool to see something else contributed to the mechwarrior universe other than the '94 Battletech series.

Personally, I think art direction trumps style even if it's in a style I don't like.

#54 Zen Hachetaki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:02 PM

I will add that anything that gets made needs to be made for adults - NOT kids. Not that kids cannot enjoy it also but I want to blood and guts grit element, along with politics, assassinations, and general skulduggery to go along with it. Not that oversimplistic show they put out in '94. Start it out small, but then grow it over time to incorporate the entire IS - so much t work with.

And I for one will cry the first time I get to pilot a Veritech... err i mean a Phoenix hawk...

#55 Ren Kurogane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 175 posts
  • Location10.4.2 401

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:04 PM

rewatching this gives me goosebumps all over... :wub: and, while most of Gundam series would be physically impossible, at least i know one of them that are more realistic than the rest (08th MS Team). And LAMs in BTU...i dunno, closer to Valkyrie Fighters in Macross series i think...(God, my sides gonna fly to the orbit if PGI adds LAMs into the game :D :D :D)

edit: oh, and from which NGNG's soundtrack does the BGM come from? found it. Literally from NGNG's soundtrack :P

Edited by Discarius, 25 September 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#56 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostAppogee, on 22 September 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Despite the fact that Battlech had mechs from Macross/Robotech including the Land-Air mechs that were nothing but GERWALK Valkyries. These mechs were more or less jets that could walk and hover. Pretty much the only difference between the mechs in Macross and in Battletech were the weapons they had on them and the fact the universe was different. Battlemechs are much more mobile than MWO allows.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Land_Air_'Mech

in terms of lore, these mechs were far more mobile, they could jump, punch, grab, body slam, they were extremely limber beasts, albeit the heavier you got the slower they were, but they were still flexible. MWO just happens to make them far more static. Mainly on engine and balance restrictions. Like, in terms of hardpoints an Atlas is undergunned against a Dire Wolf or a Warhawk. But it has fists ladies and gentlemen.

Posted Image
RIP Warhawk

The Atlas as you can see there can lift its arm up and everything, in MWO, the arms kept level to its torso and can only move their lower arm thanks to their actuators. They can't actually extend their armor in a forward direction.

Edited by Koenig Jordahl, 25 September 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#57 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostRepasy, on 25 September 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

On the matter of the "faux anime" look, lets not forget that the actual conception of the Battletech board game was influenced heavily by animated mecha titles, and even ran into copyright issues with some of its earlier mech designs

Having Mechs that looked similar in construction is a minor issue relative to adopting the entire visual style and signature plotlines of robot anime series.

#58 Dreadwing

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:20 AM

I like it, and I'm probably going to add some cash to the kickstarter collection if you get that far.
It could use more clan glory though. =)

#59 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:49 AM

I can watch this over and over again, even now :)
When can we get more of this?

Were 3D models and animation programms used, or just drawn frame by frame (in photoshop)?
How much work, time and how many helper were used for this beauty?

#60 DiscoCool

Rookie

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:04 AM

Bravo - beautiful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users