First Seen, Last Introduced(Ish)

79 replies to this topic

#41 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

in my career as a clan pilot I've overheated and shut down in a couple of Trials of Position, embarrassing because the entire clan is gathered in a circle of equals and there you are overheating and shutting down for them all to see. And at times the other pilot didn't shoot when i shutdown. So maybe it's like knight one on one sword combat in the medieval ages where if a knights sword breaks his opponent will usually wait till his square gives him a new sword. Or maybe the person i was fighting just didn't take the opportunity. Most probably would not agree with me, but i would wait till the enemy powered back up. Being able to defeat an enemy that is able to fight back brings more honor unless they were dezgra mercenary, pirate, black caste, not-named-clan pilots, In that case Zellbringen doesn't apply and i would use every dirty trick in the book

#42 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:52 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 14 June 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

****** that! As an IS pilot and a Draconis Combine player since my first BT boxed set in the mid 80's I don't want to see Clan mechs on IS teams in the game! I want to see Thunderbolts, Atlases, Stalkers, Victors, Griffins, Wolverines, Jenners, Spiders, Commandos, Hunchbacks, Catapults, Trebuchets and so on and so forth (I also want to see Marauders, Archers, Warhammers, Phoenix Hawks, Wasps, Stingers, Ostrocs, Crusaders and so on, but that's an entirely different argument). I don't want IS lances made up of Daishis, Masakaris, Ryokens and Mad Cats. It's just... Wrong. Wrong in every possible way. At least until we're several years into the invasion era seeing clanmechs in IS teams just feels like a cheap cop-out. If you wanna pilot clanmachines then fight for the clans, otherwise what's the point?

They should make a new game mode or make it so that matches pair IS mechs vs clan mechs. But people would QQ so i doubt they would it

#43 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:44 AM

View PostGrimwill, on 15 June 2014 - 01:52 AM, said:

They should make a new game mode or make it so that matches pair IS mechs vs clan mechs. But people would QQ so i doubt they would it

Well, since the IS mech can still hold there ground.

It could work, a mode where it's for example 10 Clan mech vs 12 IS mech could work.

With a C-bill bonus specially for the IS mech. And the usual for the clan mech.

#44 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:57 AM

View PostGrimwill, on 15 June 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

in my career as a clan pilot I've overheated and shut down in a couple of Trials of Position, embarrassing because the entire clan is gathered in a circle of equals and there you are overheating and shutting down for them all to see. And at times the other pilot didn't shoot when i shutdown. So maybe it's like knight one on one sword combat in the medieval ages where if a knights sword breaks his opponent will usually wait till his square gives him a new sword. Or maybe the person i was fighting just didn't take the opportunity. Most probably would not agree with me, but i would wait till the enemy powered back up. Being able to defeat an enemy that is able to fight back brings more honor unless they were dezgra mercenary, pirate, black caste, not-named-clan pilots, In that case Zellbringen doesn't apply and i would use every dirty trick in the book

Especially in a Trial of Position, the goal is to witness the cadet's skills. He must learn to maange his heat or in war he will not survive longer and will embarass his Clan even more, quiaff?

Edited by CyclonerM, 15 June 2014 - 02:58 AM.

#45 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:16 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 15 June 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

Especially in a Trial of Position, the goal is to witness the cadet's skills. He must learn to maange his heat or in war he will not survive longer and will embarass his Clan even more, quiaff?

Aff, i never went easy on a cadet and for a long time i took pride in my cadet kill counter (i believe i got up to 7) a couple of cadets bested me and made it to the warrior ranks. But when they overheat i will punish them for it. They aren't warriors yet afterall

#46 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,250 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostGrimwill, on 15 June 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

Each Clan manages its affairs in its own way, setting rules, policies & procedures as they see fit. As far as I see it, some people still try to use rules that were applied in older games which as far as I am concerned, does not make sense. e.g. no legging. To each his own however, but heat management, as Joanna pointed out to the cadets, should be a critical factor when fighting. It is up to YOU to manage your heat & whining because the enemy took advantage of YOUR mistake is simply childish.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 15 June 2014 - 03:23 AM.

#47 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:29 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 15 June 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Well, since the IS mech can still hold there ground.

It could work, a mode where it's for example 10 Clan mech vs 12 IS mech could work.

With a C-bill bonus specially for the IS mech. And the usual for the clan mech.

Well then it's insane that PGI isn't implemented this cause it's an invasion of a superior force. Then again Russ stated they are fully committed to working on CW after clan release, so i wouldn't expect much between now and fall

#48 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:43 AM

It is very simple. I will explain with this picture.

Posted Image

#49 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:08 AM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 15 June 2014 - 03:18 AM, said:

Legging

Talking about legging, i believe that this rule might be not necessary anymore with Clan Case as the ammo can be stored in the torsos without fear of explosions.

#50 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

No.

#51 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

Our Warriors do not go lightly on cubs that are trying to become blood. The warrior the cadet declare batchall to takes it quite seriously. We may be family and want all of our members to become Warriors, but only when the are ready. We have had a couple members who took a number of trials to gain warrior status. They are active and valued members of the unit. Many of our members enjoy the trial of entry and very much enjoy to watch, root and congratulate Sibkin that pass, or give advice to those who do not.

We are a tight knit group, we are also very welcoming to new members, as cubs are part of the family and we will help the cadet grow.

We are Clan Ghost Bear. This world is ours. Those that refute our claim must identify the composition and location of their forces for immediate disposal. Those that deny us our honour will be met with the mighty claws of the Ghost Bear.

View PostCyclonerM, on 15 June 2014 - 04:08 AM, said:

Talking about legging, i believe that this rule might be not necessary anymore with Clan Case as the ammo can be stored in the torsos without fear of explosions.

Legging should never have been a problem. If one choose to not use the placeable CASE in the Star League Mechs we were running, or place their ammo in their legs, this is their choice, or their techs. Quiaff?

Edited by CoffiNail, 15 June 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#52 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

Seyla!

#53 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:20 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 June 2014 - 03:43 AM, said:

It is very simple. I will explain with this picture.

Posted Image

We need one with KE (Kerensky)

#54 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:36 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 15 June 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

Our Warriors do not go lightly on cubs that are trying to become blood. The warrior the cadet declare batchall to takes it quite seriously. We may be family and want all of our members to become Warriors, but only when the are ready. We have had a couple members who took a number of trials to gain warrior status. They are active and valued members of the unit. Many of our members enjoy the trial of entry and very much enjoy to watch, root and congratulate Sibkin that pass, or give advice to those who do not.

We are a tight knit group, we are also very welcoming to new members, as cubs are part of the family and we will help the cadet grow.

We are Clan Ghost Bear. This world is ours. Those that refute our claim must identify the composition and location of their forces for immediate disposal. Those that deny us our honour will be met with the mighty claws of the Ghost Bear.

Legging should never have been a problem. If one choose to not use the placeable CASE in the Star League Mechs we were running, or place their ammo in their legs, this is their choice, or their techs. Quiaff?

Aff, that is true, but should i point out that with pinpoint damage destroying a leg, even with max armor, would be quite easy and your foe has no options to protect them? How can you avoid leg damage, except for maybe changing suddenly your speed?

#55 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:40 AM

We do not leg in Clan Nova Cat trials out of respect for the opponent, honestly, more than for any gameplay reason. It sucks trying to pilot a legged mech.

It is, however, hilarious to accidentally nick someone's leg, set off an ammo explosion, and watch their mech turn into the fourth of July....

#56 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 15 June 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

We do not leg in Clan Nova Cat trials out of respect for the opponent, honestly, more than for any gameplay reason. It sucks trying to pilot a legged mech.

It is, however, hilarious to accidentally nick someone's leg, set off an ammo explosion, and watch their mech turn into the fourth of July....

Indeed, we do the same.

Hilarious, sure, but if you are the pilot who got an ammo explosion in his 'Mech, trust me it is not quite as hilarious :)

#57 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 15 June 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

Indeed, we do the same.

Hilarious, sure, but if you are the pilot who got an ammo explosion in his 'Mech, trust me it is not quite as hilarious :)

Aff', it isn't a very nice experience. Especially when it's from an allie..
:ph34r:

#58 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

I think because of all the game is design you have to take in some consideration. When i was with Mezlo's coyotes for example...we didn't leg, alpha strike on the first exchange of fire, and we ban the use of AMS and streak missiles.

It would be so easy to start a grand melee giving MWO's engine when you are in a circle of equals. I have taken splash damage numerous times when i was standing in the circle. Does this mean by lore standards i should go in and fight thus starting the grand melee? Under coyote rules the answer was no, and i believe that was fair because as said before it's way to easy to accidentally hit someone in the circle in this game. I can see if you were maybe Clan Nova Cat...a clan that values accuracy, but most other clans having the cadet demonstrate marksmenship means little. But then again i do sometimes feel like Aiden Pyrde and want to start a grand melee on purpose just because in all the confusion i might be able to sneak in a kill or two. Although for Aiden it didn't work out as plan cause Martha was ready to leg him. My grand plan would be start the melee, go hide behind a building or in canyon, shut down, wait till their is three mechs left in a grand melee, power on and go for the easy three kills. Probably won't work but dam if it did i would be a genius mechwarrior

Edited by Grimwill, 15 June 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#59 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

I think you have some stuff confused. The Grand Melee is an event used to fill the last spot in a Trial of Bloodright. There is virtually no cover in those & it is every pilot for himself.. Aidan started a free-for-all or melee in his Trial of Position. He could not have hidden because the point was to fight & defeat another mech to become a warrior; he was the one with something to prove. Running & hiding in a Trial of Position would be both cowardly & stupid;

1. Running away from the battle would not look good. The point is to best a seasoned warrior. Tucking your tail between your legs & hiding defeats the purpose.

2. Let us look at this logically; in a Grand Melee you have a certain number of participants who ALL want the same thing, to be the last pilot standing in order to claim the final spot in a Trial of Bloodright. A standard Trial of Position pits one cadet against three warriors. Now in Aidan's case, it was himself, Bret & Marthe who made it to the Trial of Position. That means there were three cadets & since each cadet has three opponents, nine warriors.

Running & hiding after initiating a melee would be stupid because now that ALL mechs can engage ANY mech, the only ones who stand to lose are the cadets. The warriors have nothing to prove or gain, they are already warriors. Add that to the fact that the weapons are live, they would do their best to leave the Trial alive in order to be posted back in the rotation for real Trials against other Clans. Who wants to die in a Trial of Position blooding new warriors?

Opening the ToP to a melee actually just changed the dynamic of one vs three (most likely that would be one at a time) to nine vs. three, who could now fight all at once. It would be ruinous. Since the pilots who were already warriors were now free to engage whoever they wanted on their own terms, who do you think they would go for? Fellow warriors who had already earned their spots, who they might have even fought with before or whelps who might one day take their place or surpass them?.

So using your example/theory, Aidan initiates a melee in his ToP, then runs off leaving the other two cadets to fend for themselves. The nine warriors could all alpha one cadet, then turn & alpha the second one, leaving Aidan all alone. Even if all nine did not group up on one warrior, say that four targeted Marthe & five targeted Bret, the outcome would have been the same.

In a Grand Melee, the point is to survive & just be the last one standing.

Being a warrior is not just about squeezing a trigger, you have to think strategically as well.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 15 June 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#60 jd7710

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 79 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationmid atlantic

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

I will gladly take part in a Trial of Position for CGB in about 10 years when the FRR allow CGB a spot in the IS. Until that time I will honor my family my leaders by turning back the clans. Remember Radstadt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users