7/11/3049 Forum Statistics Update (See inside for why this hasn't been updated)

494 replies to this topic

#41 zencynic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostHikaru, on 20 June 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

This game, even if it were a brand new IP, would never appeal to women. With only ~150K registered and the game already in beta phase, what this game needs is to appeal to more and more men who don't know the IP but who do play similar F2P arena combat/FPS games. We don't need people who play Farmville or Angry Birds. We need people who play League of Legends and Team Fortress 2.

I respectfully disagree sir. We need enthusiastic, good-tempered people who enjoy a blend of individual accomplishment and achievements through teamwork ... regardless of their anatomical package.

I would take a more careful look at the large percentage that have declined to share their gender. I doubt that they are even 1/2 female, but the ones that are there are also the ones who have suffered through humor like the above "show me your autocannons" and chosen not to do so here.

Battletech is a guns and glory game. It will likely have a predominantly male following (especially in the hardcore fan-centric days before even an open beta) However this doesn't mean we should chase away potential new players. Keep an open mind.

#42 The Lobotomizer

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

For those of you into the Vanity Credits....just think over 4,000 plus names rolling by....and this is just the Forum users Legendary.
Sorry to ruin your 15 minutes of fame. ;-)

#43 shadowsong

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

I think the "4 Founders Mechs and 3 months of +50% XP/C-bills per match" is a bigger draw than being listed as a Legendary Founder, Lobotomizer. Although when I finally talk myself into it, I won't mind standing in that brotherhood. Having good taste is always worth being recognized for!

#44 Theron Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

Very cool to see all this data. Is there a way to make a feed for websites?

#45 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostTsen Shang, on 20 June 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

All this tells me is that 89 people have way, way, way, way, way, way, way, WAY too much time on their hands.

Hey! :)

postcount +1

#46 Dragonsbane

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Awesome!!! Not the mech, the post.

#47 Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 525 posts
  • LocationAsgard

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostHikaru, on 20 June 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

The main appeal of MMO's is wish fulfillment. Your avatar = you, or your dress up doll.

Mechs don't have that, especially the less anthropomorphic ones. Mad Cats would not be popular without arms. They'd just be Catapults.

This game, even if it were a brand new IP, would never appeal to women. With only ~150K registered and the game already in beta phase, what this game needs is to appeal to more and more men who don't know the IP but who do play similar F2P arena combat/FPS games. We don't need people who play Farmville or Angry Birds. We need people who play League of Legends and Team Fortress 2.

You mean make female looking mechs like they made female transformers?

#48 ermine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostFetladral, on 20 June 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Sadly it has already been done. Protomechs: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Erinyes

#49 FLAKPANZER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info!

#50 The Lobotomizer

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

View Postshadowsong, on 20 June 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

I think the "4 Founders Mechs and 3 months of +50% XP/C-bills per match" is a bigger draw than being listed as a Legendary Founder, Lobotomizer. Although when I finally talk myself into it, I won't mind standing in that brotherhood. Having good taste is always worth being recognized for!

Obviously...but I was just trying to make a funny !!

#51 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostFetladral, on 20 June 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Or something...

#52 Dagger6T6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostThe Lobotomizer, on 20 June 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

For those of you into the Vanity Credits....just think over 4,000 plus names rolling by....and this is just the Forum users Legendary. Sorry to ruin your 15 minutes of fame. ;-)

I'm getting my last name legally changed to Aaadams so my name will be first in the credits

#53 Fr33lanc3r

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationBFE

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hawkeye, for all your graphing goodness have you checked out what Highcharts can do? With a little (and I mean minimal) programming knowledge those can get super fancy, unfortunately I don't think they could be embedded here or that'd be super awesomely amazing. In any case awesome job, and fantastic data curation.

#54 Hawkeye 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostBullet Magnet, on 20 June 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Can you add the Windbourne Highlanders to the mercenary corp numbers chart? We currently have 85 members on our roster.

Will do. Thanks for the info!

View PostB B Wolfe, on 20 June 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Oh, man. Less than one percent? Ladies, we have to step this up.

View Postermine, on 20 June 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Show us your autocannons. Wooo!

/Wanders off wondering why there aren't more female gamers.

Yeah something about women and large awesome bipedal tanks that rule the galaxy just doesn't mix well. I do know the few female members we do have are quite ardent fans and very involved in the game tho!

View PostCoffiNail, on 20 June 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Now what if this is like MWO itself. Where the users listed are those who have only signed on to the forums. There could be a lot more of the Op:Inception founder's packs out there that we do not have statistics to.

Indeed, which is generally why I try to convey that these are only forum statistics. If you are not a listed member on the forums, you do not get indexed into the data. I too am interested in the full numbers.

View PostTheron Branson, on 20 June 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Very cool to see all this data. Is there a way to make a feed for websites?

At the moment, no. This data comes from my own resources. I imagine PGI will have something in the works later on. However if not I have a few ideas of my own I am looking into. Phase 2 of Steel Dominion hasn't quite hit its stride yet.

View PostFr33lanc3r, on 20 June 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Hawkeye, for all your graphing goodness have you checked out what Highcharts can do? With a little (and I mean minimal) programming knowledge those can get super fancy, unfortunately I don't think they could be embedded here or that'd be super awesomely amazing. In any case awesome job, and fantastic data curation.

Thanks for the link. I use some standard software for my graphical displays (aka Excel because its simple). I will definitely check into this. I need an easier software for displaying this data sooner, so I am looking for alternative methods.

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 20 June 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#55 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Im one in 14 people!

Thanks Hawkeye!

#56 Sharkath

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Nice chart! That's a lot of money flowing around and a brilliant decision to have the $120 option there too! Keep it up.

#57 Air Nith

• PipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 31 posts
  • LocationThat one place

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Wow thats some awesome info gathering, thanks. :D

#58 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

guys we got one girl gamer here... my gf although she did mark male on her profile to keep from getting a flood of friend requests.

#59 Iulianus

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationShield Battalion

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

.....and P2win has begun....

sorry if that sounds pessimistic, but XP and $$ bonuses sound like an unbalance to the game right from the start.

I would have paid for the "founder" status and skins. The bonuses are upsetting.

Edited by Iulianus, 20 June 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#60 Alexandr Britten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationElizabethtown, PA - USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostMinionJoe, on 20 June 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

As an accountant, I am legally required by GAAP to appreciate a good looking chart. Kudos! :D

Is that a GAAP audit? Dealt with it as a PA State government employee, but forget what the acronym stands for. General Accounting A? P?

View PostSprouticus, on 20 June 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

Keep those numbers up to date for a few days, Im curious if it tails off. It will also be interesting to see how many upgrades we get

I'll be upgrading to Legendary on Friday, but that's only one person. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will upgrade (or hasn't purchased yet).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users