26 replies to this topic

#1 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hi,

i Suggest a ban timer!

My friend says there is a ban timer in WoT.

That's what MWO also needs.

Banning AFKs and Discos for 30 Minutes! Without reasoning because all are equal.

If it is a PC-Problem, they should fix it themselves, for their own and community.
If it is a connection-Problem, they should buy a better carrier..
and so on..

On almost every game there are up to 2 afks and dicos.

Regards

#2 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:31 AM

It sounds like an interesting idea (if I'm reading this right), and it might stop those who purposely disconnect from doing so, at least reduce the frequency of it.
I'm sure someone out there would complain about it, but I think you've got some solid points there. :)

#3 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

so you want to ban people for things that are possible out of their control? that is brilliant.

pretty much you are telling players that unless the planets align perfectly with their life style/living choices, then don't play the game.

Edited by Bigbacon, 15 June 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#4 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Because you can really get Google Fiber everywhere...

Demanding PGI punish ppl for things beyond their control, congrats, you are the official forum idiot.

Edited by Vanguard319, 15 June 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#5 Adamski

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

I think a higher threshold such as more than 2 disconnects / 0 damage games in a 10-15 minute period should incur a temporary ban of 30 minutes.

#6 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostAdamski, on 15 June 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

I think a higher threshold such as more than 2 disconnects / 0 damage games in a 10-15 minute period should incur a temporary ban of 30 minutes.

A little bit better, but not by much. Players can have 0 dmg because they are complete noobs, and failed to realize this isn't Call of Duty. People have charged in and gotten obliterated without getting a shot off. Also, not everyone can get that fastest, most stable internet connection available. (region is a major factor) So again, you are going to be punishing people who may not be able to get a stable connection, or are new.

Edited by Vanguard319, 15 June 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#7 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

For not punishing new players: Make it count after the first 25 matches ...
Punish not moving for more than 5min at anytime. Even in high tactical games minimal movement should be possible or done by players.

Maybe, you should not play an online game, when you do not have a stable connection.

Edited by fandre, 15 June 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#8 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

I'm all for this if the ban wasn't on the first offense. I've been discoed due to a random issue beyond my control, and know people who's clients crash regularly enough that once a night they need to restart it. No need to penalize them further.

Besides, we sorta have that with mech locking till the match ends.

#9 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Duh Futbal! No no no! Ban someone for PGI's bad net code! Go get a sucker and play with the dog. The problem is more likely the fact people all over the world are playing on servers not located all over the world. Get a clue.

Edited by Werewolf486, 15 June 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#10 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Just award no XP/C-Bill when a player disconnects from a match before dying. Keep the banning for the major offenses.

#11 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

Did you guys saying "No" to the word "Ban" read the "...for 30 minutes" part? ;)
It was suggested as a temporary measure (the word I would've used is "suspension") which I think is fair to a degree. c:

#12 Skiddlywibble

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostSeelenlos, on 15 June 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

If it is a PC-Problem, they should fix it themselves, for their own and community.
and so on..

That's not possible for a lot of people, either due to monetary constraints (some of us have to work for a living), or because the connection in their area is sub-standard (just buy a new house somewhere else! :D).

For repeated disconnects, yes, a ban timer would be a good idea. Or maybe do like they do in Titanfall or Dota, and put all the ne'er-do-wells in the same match together. It's important to make sure you're not punishing people who occasionally disconnect due to a genuinely bad connection, however.

#13 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

What a great idea, essentially perma-ban half or more of the community every 2 months when a patch comes out that causes regular DCs and CTDs. Let them play again when the fix is up, which sometimes takes well over a month.

Posted Image

#14 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

They would never do this because of premium time.

I lost some PT by no fault of my own........refund.

#15 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, I don't think so man. I think a lot of the discos you see are people just losing connection to the servers, not really something that's in their control.

#16 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi,

i Suggest a ban timer!

Banning AFKs and Discos for 30 Minutes! Without reasoning because all are equal.

and so on..

Regards

I think PGI should ban people who make threads like this. People who don't understand that sometimes people DC/AFK because of this thing called real life which is, you know, a bit more important than a video game.

#17 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostSeelenlos, on 16 June 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Real Life I have too, with a mother in cancer!

And you're getting this worked up over dc/s and afks? Are you sure you have your priorities straight?

View PostSeelenlos, on 16 June 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

AND FOR REAL LIFE LOVERS, T H E 30 Min BAN will give you enough time to do the real job and come back in digital life.

The other night, my cat puked on the carpet while I was playing, so I went AFK. It took 5 minutes to clean up. I should be banned for a futher 25 minutes just because you say so?
A different night, I suddenly had a massive ping spike that forced me to d/c and reboot my modem. Took 5 minutes. I should be banned for a further 25 minutes just because you say so?

[redacted]

Edited by Egomane, 17 June 2014 - 02:24 AM.
responding to removed content

#18 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hi,

i Suggest a ban timer!

and so on..

Regards

Well - I do really dislike DC-Grinders - however your solution is not really an option which would work for serval reasons:

1. as many people argued - real life issues - you know some people do have jobs which require them to be available and answer urgend phonecalls.

2. this is a F2P-Game - sadly ...
... this means that PGI can't just punish players harsh if they want to keep them as paying customers.

The only way I see to avoid DC/AFK-grinding is to make ist just not worth it - means no CBills/EXP. This way no one has a reason to do it on purpose and also no one would have a reason to complain about getting punished (just speaking for myself but when I had to DC because of reallife issues I would not care about CBills/EXP)

Edited by MilesTeg1982, 16 June 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#19 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Alot and I mean alot of the dc's(I mean afk or no pilot drops) are from ppl hitting the cancel button of course I'm sure they are unknowingly doing so. I think most of this could be solved from a simple visual indicator showing them hey your about to enter a match...

I know myself have hit the cancel button forgetting something in my mech and was like WTF it's in use!

Edited by Omaha, 16 June 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#20 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostOmaha, on 16 June 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

Alot and I mean alot of the dc's(I mean afk or no pilot drops) are from ppl hitting the cancel button of course I'm sure they are unknowingly doing so. I think most of this could be solved from a simple visual indicator showing them hey your about to enter a match...

I know myself have hit the cancel button forgetting something in my mech and was like WTF it's in use!

This has happened to me several times recently. Forgot to put a UAV on a 'mech before I hit launch. Hit cancel, went to the mechlab to buy the module, find out my 'mech launched without me.

Apparently we should be banned for that, "because all are equal".

Edited by Harathan, 16 June 2014 - 02:14 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users