151 replies to this topic

#81 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the information and thanks for getting the camera properly focused on the Devs this time, please keep it up

#82 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

Signed digital concept art and Exclusive Wallpaper. What does that mean and how will it work?

Also Lisa, wow, that nova cockpit, there are buttons everywhere,can I get a manual?

Edited by Lily from animove, 16 June 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#83 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Great Vlog. Good info, format and prod value. Very glad to see one so soon after the last one. Very cool to see the office shots. BB Wolf did an awesome voice over.

Suggestion: More, sooner, and longer... vlog that is.

#84 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostMechwarrior Mousse, on 16 June 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Did anybody else expect or wanted to see a big red "You Are Here" arrow pointing to Terra when they showed that map of the IS? :)

Like this?
Posted Image

#85 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

So I have a few questions:

Wich side won the IS vs Clan mech battle?
How can theses two guy not liking the Dire Wolf and the Timber Wolf?! ARE THEY NUTS? :)

And if I get it right:
IS mech = For average player.
Clan Mech = For true Mechwarriors.

#86 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 16 June 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Like this?
Posted Image

well ist 3048, so it would better say: "your remains rest here"

#87 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 16 June 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Like this?
Posted Image

Yup. Pretty much like that. :)

#88 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

View Postebea51, on 15 June 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

I don't think dmg should be nerfed for Arty/Air Strike... if a shell hits you in the head, it hits you in the head... just like how someone in game can cockpit-shot you. I DO think that the AOE should be drasticly increased, damage reduced and number of shells increased but rate of drop DECREASED.
That way you have a large area DENIED because it is sustaining reduced but regular damage over time. As it is now, you just get POUNDED and that's it... you are either fast enough to get out and avoid it or you are slow (and heavily armoured enough) to just take it.
As an 'area denial tool' its not very effective (I think)... but as a AOE BURST-DMG tool, it is.

I totally agree with this. On top of your suggestions, I also think that air and arty should be a little more differentiated than hey currently are.

For example, air strike should carpet bomb a long, narrow corridor in a rapid amount of time. Lots of little bombs, blanketing a strip of land. Everything in that strip should get a small amount of damage everywhere. Maybe 5 points of damage per shell, but many more shells in the area of effect.

In comparison, artillery should be large shells, doing much more damage, but should land randomly in a circular area for 10-20 seconds. During that time, it would be cool if the "caller" could even slowly reposition the area of effect, thereby "walking the rounds" to push the enemy back from that position.

That would make them much more situational and effective in different objectives. Air is the DPS version, giving quick, effective damage, while artillery is the "area denial" version, making the enemy take a large risk in using that path.

In addition, I have been an advocate of Odanan's proposal for quite a while. Air/Arty should require a Command Console to be used - in fact, I think the Command Console should come with a module slot just for one consumable (air/arty/UAV only).

View PostNightmare1, on 16 June 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

Overall, very nice.
I'll admit that I don't like the notion of reducing strike damage and putting up invisible forcefields around the cockpit. Neither option makes much sense to me. I think that the whiners who complain about these issues should just get better at moving around and being aware of their surroundings. If they stand still for a strike, then they should get hit with the full ferocity of it - please don't build in any protection for their stupidity.

Stupidity should be painful. :)

The issue is not about stupidity. No matter how aware you are of your surroundings, it is very easy to place an arty/air just behind a mechs legs where they are unable to see it. Even if they are on Teamspeak and it is communicated, there is relatively little time to do anything about it. It is not an area denial weapon currently - it is a DPS weapon used by players to get quick, almost unavoidable damage and kills at extremely low cost.

See my suggestions in the quote above yours for how I think it should be adjusted.

#89 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostNacon, on 15 June 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

Please stop the background music when people are talking in the video. I had hard time hearing them.

Maybe by intention?!

#90 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostCimarb, on 16 June 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

I totally agree with this. On top of your suggestions, I also think that air and arty should be a little more differentiated than hey currently are.

For example, air strike should carpet bomb a long, narrow corridor in a rapid amount of time. Lots of little bombs, blanketing a strip of land. Everything in that strip should get a small amount of damage everywhere. Maybe 5 points of damage per shell, but many more shells in the area of effect.

In comparison, artillery should be large shells, doing much more damage, but should land randomly in a circular area for 10-20 seconds. During that time, it would be cool if the "caller" could even slowly reposition the area of effect, thereby "walking the rounds" to push the enemy back from that position.

That would make them much more situational and effective in different objectives. Air is the DPS version, giving quick, effective damage, while artillery is the "area denial" version, making the enemy take a large risk in using that path.

In addition, I have been an advocate of Odanan's proposal for quite a while. Air/Arty should require a Command Console to be used - in fact, I think the Command Console should come with a module slot just for one consumable (air/arty/UAV only).

The issue is not about stupidity. No matter how aware you are of your surroundings, it is very easy to place an arty/air just behind a mechs legs where they are unable to see it. Even if they are on Teamspeak and it is communicated, there is relatively little time to do anything about it. It is not an area denial weapon currently - it is a DPS weapon used by players to get quick, almost unavoidable damage and kills at extremely low cost.

See my suggestions in the quote above yours for how I think it should be adjusted.

Overall, a great post! Your ideas regarding strikes are fresh and interesting. :)

As they are, I think they are fine. If they were to be changed to what you suggest, I think that would also be fine. What would be wrong (to the general audience here, not Cimarb) would be to nerf them more. A longer recharge time or a reduction to the number available per match, sure, but don't nerf them. Virtually everything in this game has been nerfed and it's really getting old.

That being said, requiring a Command Console to field strikes is a nice idea. I personally like the notion of restricting strikes to the Lance Commanders and Company Commander. That caps the overall number and encourages teamwork in deciding where and when to place the strikes.

As for stupidity, it is very much an issue. Yes, I can put strikes behind someone's legs where they don't see it (and have had that happen to me, in turn), but if I can do that, then it's because they're not moving enough. I've also seen many cases where eight out of twelve Mechs will huddle in a hole and get hit twice by strikes. That's stupidity and it should be painful.

Quirks will always happen. Even the best will get hit on occasion. However, by and large, it's easy to avoid getting hit. Just fight smart and you (generally speaking, not directed at anyone in particular) can save yourself a lot of damage and deaths, and the rest of us won't have to have yet another great feature of the game get nerfed.

#91 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostKuroNyra, on 16 June 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

So I have a few questions:

Wich side won the IS vs Clan mech battle?
How can theses two guy not liking the Dire Wolf and the Timber Wolf?! ARE THEY NUTS? :)

And if I get it right:
IS mech = For average player.
Clan Mech = For true Mechwarriors.

Nothing wrong with having a favorite mech.

and your second point, is completely incorrect unless you're a delusional clangirl.

All that fire power doesn't mean jack if you dont know how to use it.

#92 jarraxle Enteri

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostWeekendWarrior, on 15 June 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

So that test was Atlas, Cataphract and Hunchback against Warhawk, Summoner and Nova?
And the fight was actually exciting?
In real BattleTech, the Nova could stay home, and the Clanners would still walk over the IS...
Ofcourse, these Clanners also got suckered into a brawl (with an Atlas and a Hunchback no less) in faster Mechs. Must have been freebirths...

You do realize it would ruin the game if they were made to be that Op right?
come on man use some of those brain cells

#93 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

... did you already see the Game Logo?! Below "a BattleTech game"!
Clans are way technically advanced, so they are better, deal with it.

#94 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

View Postsabujo, on 15 June 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

Nice mockup of Comunity Warfare UI.. Too bad it was shown too fast

When was this?

#95 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 16 June 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

and your second point, is completely incorrect unless you're a delusional clangirl.

All that fire power doesn't mean jack if you dont know how to use it.

I suppose "for true MechWarriors" meant more or less what you are saying.

View PostLiGhtningFF13, on 16 June 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

... did you already see the Game Logo?! Below "a BattleTech game"!
Clans are way technically advanced, so they are better, deal with it.

A Steiner saying this warms my heart.

#96 Tarzilman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationRim Territories

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

Nice vlog. I also appreciate this one came much faster than the last one. Keep it up like that, you're doing a much better communication the last few weeks. It should be like that everytime, not only when ne content arrives. Anyway, thx PGI!

That said... I know, everything is about clans and stuff this days, but erm... there's one matter I so wish you could have a look at.
There's this beautiful mech that could need another hit-box tuning, maybe a general overhaul. It's just a pretty one, even it's hero variant is called like that. I'm sure you know, wich mech it is, I am talking about. This mech is just AWESOME, but its awesomeness suffers from its weaknesses like barn door sized CT and heat penalty.
Pls give this awesome mech a little buff so that it finally can play together with all the other mechs. Pls don't neglect this mech, pgi and make it one of the most feared mech it should be!

Posted Image

Edited by Tarzilman, 16 June 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#97 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostLostdragon, on 16 June 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

I am unconvinced there is not a bug with arty strike that causes it to hit the head disproportionately. I have been hit in the head by arty strikes four times in my Ember since I started playing it. I have been hit in the head on the same mech only once (other than incidental laser grazing) by an aimed weapon. I have seen many arty strikes I have dropped hit enemy cockpits. Considering it is the smallest hit box on every single mech, something just feels not right about how frequently arty/airstrike is hitting it.

It has to do with the cockpit and its "location" on your mech, relative to how an airstrike and airstrike drops.

Some mechs are more affected than others by design, which makes comparing the various experiences difficult.

#98 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostFelio, on 16 June 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

When was this?

At about 6:23-6:24 ... it's very brief and too blurry to get much detail, but it is something.

As interesting (to me, anyway) is the previous screen (at about 6:20), which shows what I suspect is an excerpt from the Community Warfare Phase I design document outlining "Unit Leader Priveleges".

#99 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 16 June 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

Overall, a great post! Your ideas regarding strikes are fresh and interesting. :P

As for stupidity, it is very much an issue. Yes, I can put strikes behind someone's legs where they don't see it (and have had that happen to me, in turn), but if I can do that, then it's because they're not moving enough. I've also seen many cases where eight out of twelve Mechs will huddle in a hole and get hit twice by strikes. That's stupidity and it should be painful.

Quirks will always happen. Even the best will get hit on occasion. However, by and large, it's easy to avoid getting hit. Just fight smart and you (generally speaking, not directed at anyone in particular) can save yourself a lot of damage and deaths, and the rest of us won't have to have yet another great feature of the game get nerfed.

Thanks!

As a regular Atlas and Stalker pilot, I can tell you from experience that it doesn't matter if I see the strike as soon as it gets popped - If it is anywhere near me, I'm going to get hit before I can reposition. It is just a matter of whether it hits me a little or a lot, neither of which have anything to do with my intelligence or reflexes. I just don't move fast enough to do anything about it.

#100 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 16 June 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

It has to do with the cockpit and its "location" on your mech, relative to how an airstrike and airstrike drops.

Some mechs are more affected than others by design, which makes comparing the various experiences difficult.

Maybe this is it, but this explanation lacks truthiness. I very rarely get caught by arty strike, it typically only happens when I am legged and a smart player uses it to finish me off. Even if the cockpit hitbox is disadvantageously placed it seems that because of its size the odds of it getting hit as often as it does in my experience would be really low.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users