Loyalty Point Penalties Instead Of Chassis Limitations For Cw

4 replies to this topic

#1 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Instead of limiting mech chassis availability in CW based on faction selection (as hinted at in a recent announcement), I believe that there should be a loyalty point penalty/bonus based on chassis selection. For example:

Loyalty Point Bonus: When using a variant that’s commonly available to your faction, you get a bonus to the loyalty points that you gain.

No Loyalty Point Bonus: When using a variant that’s less common for your faction (produced in limited quantities or commonly acquired through salvage), you see no impact to your loyalty point gain.

Loyalty Point Penalty: When using a variant that’s almost never used by your faction (experimental or otherwise unavailable), you get a penalty to the loyalty points that you gain.

No Loyalty Point Gain: When using a mech from the opposing side (a clan player in an IS mech or an IS player in a clan mech), you gain no loyalty points.

Assuming that loyalty points are worthwhile, I believe that a variant-based loyalty point bonus/penalty would be a good way to add impact to the choice of faction without cutting players’ access to their mechs.

Edited by Metafox, 24 June 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#2 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostMetafox, on 24 June 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

Instead of limiting mech chassis availability in CW based on faction selection (as hinted at in a recent announcement)

Afaik, mechs from other factions will still be available, but cost more. Could you please link to the announcement?

#3 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Well, I do like the idea, but...there should not be any instances of a Spheroid warrior piloting a Clan 'Mech for several years in CW. They can play them all they want in random matches, but I would be very upset if I saw a Rasalhaugian warrior piloting a Timberwolf. 'But salvage', you say. Well, I am going to go out on a limb and say that there is no way in hell that the FRR would rather give extremely rare and advanced tech to a front line soldier instead of, say, analyzing and studying it, quiaff?

#4 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostExilyth, on 24 June 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

Afaik, mechs from other factions will still be available, but cost more. Could you please link to the announcement?

http://mwomercs.com/...-unit-creation/

At the bottom, Paul says:
Spoiler

View Post101011, on 24 June 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Well, I do like the idea, but...there should not be any instances of a Spheroid warrior piloting a Clan 'Mech for several years in CW. They can play them all they want in random matches, but I would be very upset if I saw a Rasalhaugian warrior piloting a Timberwolf. 'But salvage', you say. Well, I am going to go out on a limb and say that there is no way in hell that the FRR would rather give extremely rare and advanced tech to a front line soldier instead of, say, analyzing and studying it, quiaff?

You've got a point, but the idea of a single pilot owning dozens of personal mechs is also unheard of. Nobody has had any real objection to the quantity of mechs that we're allowed to own, despite the fact that it goes against lore. I'd say that it's fair to bend the rules a little when it comes to mech availability.

#5 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

View PostMetafox, on 24 June 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

You've got a point, but the idea of a single pilot owning dozens of personal mechs is also unheard of. Nobody has had any real objection to the quantity of mechs that we're allowed to own, despite the fact that it goes against lore. I'd say that it's fair to bend the rules a little when it comes to mech availability.

That is also a good point. It all comes down to opinions. Some people could not care less, some hate it with a passion.
To provide an analogy, let us look at a hypothetical WWII game that is about tanks. There is a battle that takes place on August 29th, 1942, which is significant because it was the first time the Panzer VII engaged with the enemy (the Soviets). Now, the Germans have access to their brand new technology, the Tiger I vehicle. However, in the interest of a "fun and balanced" game, and because they allowed people to preorder the Tiger I regardless of faction, the Soviets also have access to the Tiger I tank. Whoopee, brand new stuff and...it is meaningless because everybody has it. Now, obviously World War II tankers did not have huge garages full of personally customized combat vehicles to choose from, however, because practically nobody enjoys playing the same vehicle for any great period of time, they allow people to own as many vehicles as they want. To me, that a Russian tanker has a garage with 50 different Soviet tanks is a lesser evil than a Russian tanker having a garage with just one German tank.
Another example is the Conquistadors in Mesoamerica. There is nothing special about them if the Aztecs already had steel and guns and everything else, they are just more people.

Edited by 101011, 24 June 2014 - 06:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users