15 replies to this topic

#1 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Do i remember right that Clan LRMs didnt have a minimum range?

#2 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

Its not yet implemented, atm they have Minimum Range right now

Edited by Corbenik, 18 June 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#3 RobotJoxKungFu

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

No min range?....that is crazy broken!

#4 Kadix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 169 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

No Robot, that's not broken. That's the way it was supposed to be. Go read a book.

The devs said pre-release that there wouldn't be a minimum range, but damage would scale from doing 0 damage at zero meters to doing full damage at 180m. That isn't working, and currently clan LRM's have a 180m minimum range.

#5 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

ah, didn't realize that. Although closing range on them in an IS mech is probaly not the best idea ATM. (for some of them anyways)

#6 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostKadix, on 19 June 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

No Robot, that's not broken. That's the way it was supposed to be. Go read a book.

The devs said pre-release that there wouldn't be a minimum range, but damage would scale from doing 0 damage at zero meters to doing full damage at 180m. That isn't working, and currently clan LRM's have a 180m minimum range.

Put the bottle of 'roids down and cool off. Or better yet, maybe you should go read up on some of this stuff? Even the designers of the TT game have said they regret a large amount of the Clan tech and how broken it makes the game. LRMs in particular have always been a hot issue, even in TT. Someone isn't stupid for calling them broken, because they certainly are. I love my Battletech franchise and have been playing the TT game for over 25 years, but to allow Clan LRMs in MWO to run exactly as they did in TT is just a slap in the face to gameplay balance.

Edit: I'm too lazy to quote the dev post that states it, but they said LRMs will deal less damage the closer to under 180m the target is. And it will not be linear. This means at 90m, you won't be doing 50% damage, but probably closer to 30%. It still makes them flat-out better than IS LRMs, but OH WELLZ!

Edited by ShadowVFX, 19 June 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#7 Smeghammer

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:31 AM

IS LRMs have the advantage of firing all at once, as long as you have the tubes to support it. Clan LRMs pour out in a terrifyingly awesome screech of blue fire, and are more vulnerable to AMS.

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

Also, even when the have "no minimum," they'll have exponentially ramping damage. From the description, they'll still be nigh useless under 100M and only become fully effective at 180. Seems pretty ok to me.

#9 Panzerbjorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

I think a lot of people who whine about Clan tech being better need to realize - clan tech is SUPPOSED to be better (far better) than IS tech. It's not supposed to be balanced on a mech-by-mech basis. The balance comes from deployment in the fact that IS mechs deploy in a Company of 8 Lances of 4 Mechs (32 mechs per Company) and clan mechs deploy in a Cluster of 5 Stars of 5 Mechs (25 mechs per Cluster). At that deployment, assuming everything else is equal, it's an even fight. The clan tech combined with superior pilots results in a decent balance. This could be simulated in-game by MWO by making every 3 clans mechs count as 4 IS mechs. So for a 9-mech clan drop the IS team gets 12. Ideally we'd get to the true 32 vs 25 balance, assuming the tech was balanced for such, but that's a pipe dream I'm sure. And it would also make it difficult to account for mixed drops of clan and IS mechs.

Also, IS tech eventually catches up to clan tech by stealing and retro-fitting and even developing new technologies.

Personally I'm unhappy with the reduced damage curve on clan LRMs, but it's better than having the minimum range as it is right now. Clan mechs are seriously disadvantaged in many ways compared to IS mechs in-game right now - the least of which being that none of us trothkin have skilled up our mechs yet.

#10 Scratchicus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostPanzerbjorn, on 23 June 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

I think a lot of people who whine about Clan tech being better need to realize - clan tech is SUPPOSED to be better (far better) than IS tech. It's not supposed to be balanced on a mech-by-mech basis. The balance comes from deployment in the fact that IS mechs deploy in a Company of 8 Lances of 4 Mechs (32 mechs per Company) and clan mechs deploy in a Cluster of 5 Stars of 5 Mechs (25 mechs per Cluster). At that deployment, assuming everything else is equal, it's an even fight. The clan tech combined with superior pilots results in a decent balance. This could be simulated in-game by MWO by making every 3 clans mechs count as 4 IS mechs. So for a 9-mech clan drop the IS team gets 12. Ideally we'd get to the true 32 vs 25 balance, assuming the tech was balanced for such, but that's a pipe dream I'm sure. And it would also make it difficult to account for mixed drops of clan and IS mechs.

Also, IS tech eventually catches up to clan tech by stealing and retro-fitting and even developing new technologies.

Personally I'm unhappy with the reduced damage curve on clan LRMs, but it's better than having the minimum range as it is right now. Clan mechs are seriously disadvantaged in many ways compared to IS mechs in-game right now - the least of which being that none of us trothkin have skilled up our mechs yet.

See part of my problem is the fact we are supposed to never be able to use clan weapons or reverse engineer.

#11 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Correction, a cluster is 4-5 binaries or trinaries, so between 8 stars on the low end, and 15 on the high. A Galaxy is 3-5 clusters.

#12 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

Should we get CW, i wonder i Clanners will get a bidding process?

Here's to hoping...

#13 Sasuga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

The clan Mechs will be more popular on appearance alone. The fact that their tech is better as well... You probably won't see much in the way of Innersphere mechs on the field anyway.

The game is balancing by putting clan mechs on both sides right now. As odd as it is to see, it works for game play balance. Between that and price anyway.

#14 Kadix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 169 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:54 AM

Way to go. You managed to resurrect a 3 month old thread with an unrelated comment.

#15 Xorak

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

If it's allive and well again... What's the current status of clan LRM miniumum range?

#16 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:52 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users