29 replies to this topic

#1 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts
  • LocationI live in a Mech Hangar

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Ok I'm officialy angry with how well this game is designed yet has such a Glitchy, [redacted] Chat box, let alone no reporting mechanism. Given there is now finaly a screen capture ability unlike previously. I cant tell you how many times I've personnaly died and lost matches due to the sucky chat. The chat glitches soo hard core, and sometimes key strokes arn't even recorded. Chat is important to me because it's my only source of intell. I can't use TS or Mumble or any form of voice chat. I normaly get a ping of 1600 MS and that's on a good day. It's just my location and the ISP that's available.

Anyways I feel this should take PRIORITY over any other game feature in development before continuing on into the storyline. I have spent thousands $ on this game and I refuse to ever spend another freakin $.00 on it untill my money is put to good use such as investing in an extremely complex, user friendly and managable chat box. I know for a fact I'm not alone in this opinion and every gamer I've ever faced or teamed with hates this games chat system. Party chat is horrible too in the main menu. Many times friends dont even realize I'm trying to party with them or PM them at all. The Friends icon is soo dim and unnoticable it goes unchecked many times. It takes hour's sometimes for me to snag a friend to get them to party with me. I'm a solo player and I want freedoms in this game that allow me to interact with other gamers more regularly with my capabilities. I feel I've more than earned my right to voice my opinion after 21 yrs of Mechwarrior and 10s of thousands of $ into this franchise. GET IT RIGHT OR DONT DO IT AT ALL DEV's

Edited by Egomane, 21 June 2014 - 12:24 AM.
language

#2 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

I'm a bit disapointed, to see no one replied or showed interest in my post since its critical to the progress and development of this game. Chat needs serious tuning and fixed. ;)

#3 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

Keystrokes not recorded? Are you referring to what happens when you alt tab in and everything works fine except the chat commands?

#4 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:38 AM

If you mean the in game chat yeah it's broken and has been for a while.

Sometime's I'll type stuff and it won't show up at all, other times there'll be a few seconds of delay and sometimes it'll send it twice. The most annoying part about the chat though is the way it clears your input between the ready up, in game, spectating and game over screens. It's a really really simple feature and somehow PGI fooked it up as per normal.

#5 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:45 AM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 20 June 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

I can't use TS or Mumble or any form of voice chat. I normaly get a ping of 1600 MS and that's on a good day.

You poor poor soul. I'd just give up. 1600ms is completely unplayable regardless

#6 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:47 AM

Team Speak........it's free for you and it's free for me............Team Speak.............it's what's for dinner.

#7 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:49 AM

View PostR Razor, on 21 June 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

Team Speak........it's free for you and it's free for me............Team Speak.............it's what's for dinner.

That's great unless you're pugging.

#8 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:59 AM

View PostGreyGriffin, on 21 June 2014 - 03:49 AM, said:

That's great unless you're pugging.

Make friends, join a TEAM (it is a team game after all, even says so in some of the pop up tips when you're loading) and communicate............don't complain that you can't communicate with the rest of the lemmings when you PUG drop......more than likely they'd ignore anything you had to say even if you could talk to them anyway.

#9 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:59 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...-sorely-needed/

#10 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:06 AM

View PostR Razor, on 21 June 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

Make friends, join a TEAM (it is a team game after all, even says so in some of the pop up tips when you're loading) and communicate............don't complain that you can't communicate with the rest of the lemmings when you PUG drop......more than likely they'd ignore anything you had to say even if you could talk to them anyway.

I would love to make friends and communicate, but the chat functionality in this game is crap...

#11 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:13 AM

View PostGreyGriffin, on 21 June 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

I would love to make friends and communicate, but the chat functionality in this game is crap...

Go to the factions section of the forum, the vast majority of them have TS Hubs set up and most of them allow anyone to join them.........again, it's free and it works quite well.

The potential for abuse of an ingame VOIP far surpasses the benefits it would provide, especially since it is highly unlikely that it would be properly implemented or moderated.

#12 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

While voice communication indeed is superior to text communication, and I urge anyone to get on TeamSpeak, that does NOT excuse the sorry state of the chat interface in MWO.

We have asked since closed beta for better chat functionality; persistent chat window, scrollable, and not least configurable hotkeys for things like "Attack target [A]", "Enemy spotted in grid [A1]" and so on.

Absolutely zero development has been done on the chat interface in those two years except adding the lance chat.

Frankly, the chat interface is a disgrace.

#13 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:26 AM

Back to topic, this thread is about chat communication. Advertising for teamspeak is another issue.

#14 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:27 AM

I've only been playing for about 13 months give or take, so I can't speak to the amount of time people have been complaining about it. I do know that in the 13 months I've been playing, less than a week of that time was played not using TS.

Even if they made chat what folks are screaming for I don't think it would be of much benefit. Who has time to read or type a message when they are in a furball? In addition, the window lickers that abound in this game would spam with useless drivel and the scroll would probably move fast enough to prevent you from gaining any real insight into the tactical situation. That's one of the abuses I was talking about that would not be moderated.

#15 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:34 AM

View PostR Razor, on 21 June 2014 - 04:13 AM, said:

Go to the factions section of the forum, the vast majority of them have TS Hubs set up and most of them allow anyone to join them.........again, it's free and it works quite well.

The potential for abuse of an ingame VOIP far surpasses the benefits it would provide, especially since it is highly unlikely that it would be properly implemented or moderated.

I suggest you read all 10+ pages of the thread. VOIP (with a mute function) would add a lot to the game.

#16 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:34 AM

View PostR Razor, on 21 June 2014 - 04:27 AM, said:

I've only been playing for about 13 months give or take, so I can't speak to the amount of time people have been complaining about it. I do know that in the 13 months I've been playing, less than a week of that time was played not using TS.

I've played the majority of my matches over the last two years without voice comms, and I'm a bit surprised that you are so vehemently against something you apparently do not even use.

Even if they made chat what folks are screaming for I don't think it would be of much benefit. Who has time to read or type a message when they are in a furball?

Hence the need for hotkeys for important messages like contact, attack/support orders and so on. Because now we don't even have that and as you say, nobody will stop to type out a message when under attack. Hitting a hotkey to transmit to your team that you're under fire though, that would be immensely helpful.

In addition, the window lickers that abound in this game would spam with useless drivel and the scroll would probably move fast enough to prevent you from gaining any real insight into the tactical situation. That's one of the abuses I was talking about that would not be moderated.

They can already do that and thanks to the current chat interface any real information is assured to be lost. But I seldom see much chat abuse - and certainly not enough to invalidate the need for communication hotkeys; if you're really concerned about someone spamming those keys, put a global cooldown on them.

#17 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 21 June 2014 - 03:45 AM, said:

You poor poor soul. I'd just give up. 1600ms is completely unplayable regardless

Lol ya you're right, It does make the game unplayable at times. I cant hit moving targets at all, I literly have to look for people standing still and snipe them. Or just use LRMs all day long lol.

#18 Pale Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

I can forgive glitchy chat, what annoys me most of all when I can't even "open" the chat box by the usual key commands.

#19 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

The chat needs some sort of Blocking Mechanism as well. Ive met many players during pug drops that discust me and do nothing but troll the intire map chat. We have all had players who we cant stand drop in with our grp once or twice in the past. Sadly the only way to actualy "block" someone is after you friends them in the main menu lol? What a load of Dung! People can be very mean, and go to great lengths to make you feel miserable. Specialy to people who are not part of a large clan unit and have no real connection with a group of friends. I played for atleast 6 months without even knowing a single person or making friends on here and the chat system just made it completely unenjoyable. Its enough to turn alot of players away from the game perminantly.

As for the typing in a heated "furball" I'm able to chat even under fire or relaying intell. Quick commands like the Enemy position or your position would be great. I loved the ideas for hot keys. If you're locked on an light enemy mech or he is using ECM you cant accuratly tell where he is all the time on the map to teamates. It would be nice to also have a Map Marking system like in Guild Wars 2. Where you can literly mark the map with a Compass shaped star icon in Party on the map. Just like you can when you can when your taking control of your lance or unit.

#20 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 20 June 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Given there is now finaly a screen capture ability unlike previously.

Uh what? The screen cap button has been in since 8-mans.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users