Please Fix The Dire Wolf's Center Torso

156 replies to this topic

#1 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

I love this mech. I abso-freakinglutely have loved the Direwolf ever since Mechwarrior 2. It's one of the biggest (emphasis on big) reasons I like Mechwarrior and the BT universe to begin with. It's meant to be the pinnacle of destructive battlemech technology. But it has drawbacks. It's EXTREMELY slow. The slowest mech in the game, in fact, because there is no way to increase the engine size (can we please get at least a "slightly" larger one for one of the variants?). It's got an awful torso twist. You don't get lower arm actuators if you want to use any of the beefy weapons available (the whole reason to play the Direwolf). Fine. I don't like it, but I understand needing limitations on so much firepower.

That being said, PGI, considering all of the inherent weaknesses / drawbacks this mech already has to balance it, PLEEEEEEASE fix the Center Torso hitbox! This thing attracts LRMs like a magnet. The whole point of the Direowolf having a "hood" is to have its CT protected. It should be half LT and half RT. As it stands right now, Direwolves are easily cored across the board by LURMspam and lighter mechs that dance around it and laugh. The mech is balance enough as it is. PLEASE fix the center torso!

Also, as a note to other mech pilots, please remember that your Direwolf buddies are slow, and will get eaten alive if abandoned, but can also help turn the tide of a battle in your favor if they're supported. Please remember to look after your Direwolves and your Direwolves will look after you!

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

Balance.

If it were tougher, it would be ridiculously OP.

#3 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 June 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Balance.

Whereas in the case of the Awesome....

#4 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

Omnimechs don't have 'slightly larger' engine variants.

gg close

#5 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Balance.

As stated above, there are plenty of other things "balancing" out the mech. A broken CT hitbox doesn't need to be one of them.

#6 Deadoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Every single thing you are complaining about is something that is design inherent. It can carry dual uac/20 without too much issues, or dual Gauss similarly, and provide adequate supporting armor. Heck, a dual Gauss and erppc isn't too difficult to manage from what I've seen.

#7 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

View PostDeadoon, on 21 June 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

Every single thing you are complaining about is something that is design inherent. It can carry dual uac/20 without too much issues, or dual Gauss similarly, and provide adequate supporting armor. Heck, a dual Gauss and erppc isn't too difficult to manage from what I've seen.

I understand the reason for those things, and they're not what I'm taking issue with, I'm using them as examples as to why the Direwolf doesn't need a broken CT hitbox on top of all of those drawbacks it already has.

Edited by Archon, 21 June 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

So you want the most firepower of any mech, but you also want it to facetank like a Stalker?

It's CT is huge but it's not broken. Looks like working as intended to me.

#9 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 21 June 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

So you want the most firepower of any mech, but you also want it to facetank like a Stalker?

I doubt it, and for a mech that's far, far less maneuverable than the Stalker, it needs to be able to face tank.

#10 Star Wolves Admin Account

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:55 PM

I have gotten most of my direwolfs upgrades recently. Average around 400-700 damage per game now. I used to feel the same way but once you get used to him and get his upgrades I think you'll see any major buffs would completely unbalance him. Maybe a very small change related to the CT and LT/RT hit boxes just for logic purposes. I wouldn't touch him much though, he is really nasty once you figure him out.

#11 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

LRMs will hit you in the arms/side torsos about 70% of the time if you turn your side to them. Don't stare at them and you'll live longer. No sense complaining about a balanced mech.

#12 Johan Krieger

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

The Dire Wolf is fine the way it is. If you play smart you can go entire games without being touched by an LRM. I regularly put out 1k+ damage and survive. Fight under ECM, use cover to your advantage. You are there to support the other mechs, not to run in and die like an idiot while everyone shoots you. Let others draw the enemy to you, and you wreck them.

#13 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

I think that lower arm actuators should be available if there are only lasers in the arms and the side torso hitboxes should extend forward to cover a portion of the nose's side when viewed from left or right.

oh... and the walking animation... every single move the dire wolf makes is goofy... jumping up and down...tip toeing... twist glitches... sliding ice skating legs (gives the feeling that the mech is walking on slippery ice and its legs are slipping...).

#14 Blarkon

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

Dire Wolves might be the easiest mech to put down in a game using an IS heavy or assault simply because it's hard *not* to hit the CT and the thing moves like a beached whale on tranquilizers. They are like a bit "free kill" sign walking around the battlefield.

Easily the most disappointing of the Clan mechs. As I said in another thread - the only reason the Wolf's Dragoons would have given this 'mech to Victor and Hohiro is if they wanted them to die in the first few minutes of the next battle.

#15 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 21 June 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

The Hitbox for the CT isn't 100% of the actual CT we visually "see".

The Hitbox is broken for the DW, someone did a pic on another thread somewhere showing where the boxes actually are. There is a stripe down the center of the "hood" that is CT, something that should just be split between LT/RT and have nothing to do with CT at all. The "codpiece" is also CT, like how the Atlas had for such a long time before PGI finally fixed it. So the CT box is almost twice the size of the actual CT itself on the mech, as the Airplane nose of the mech (the whole round thing all the way back to the hood) should be the only part of the CT that actually counts as CT.

#16 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:46 AM

Balance.

As if it isnt already. I have seen one walk in amongst like 5 guys and still last like a minute.

It took me like 30 seconds to peel both the arms off one using my quad LPL/LL on the Warhawk lol. He died only cuz I had a buddy shooting his ass and cuz I was shooting his firepower off. I ended with like my entire L/C/R torso stripped.

#17 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:51 AM

This is what I recommend:
1) direwolf's crotch needs to be split between its legs, like they did with the atlas
2) direwolf's side torsos need to extend further up the sides of the fuselage, like they did with the stalker
3) direwolf needs a ballistic cooldown penalty on its B side torsos, so its penalized for spamming ballistics.

#18 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:04 AM

I also don't think it needs a Stalker's hitboxes. This mech brings devastating firepower, yet in order to use it it has to stare down the enemy, which hurts its CT. Even in their "short" lives, people are getting 3-4 kills and 800+ damages easily even if they're not particularly good players. It's very similar to a Banshee in this respect, lots of hardpoints and firepower but bad durability. Being slow isn't as much a punishment as having a big CT. Most of the games end up in static stand-offs anyway.

If it could facetank like a Stalker at long range, then it would be simply too effective. Every mech has to have a weakness to compensate for their strengths.

#19 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:10 AM

I don't care how big or small CT Dire Wolf has, it's to slow to disengage quickly to begin with, it can't even torso twist fast enough.

Edited by kapusta11, 22 June 2014 - 01:11 AM.

#20 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostKhobai, on 22 June 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

This is what I recommend:
1) direwolf's crotch needs to be split between its legs, like they did with the atlas
2) direwolf's side torsos need to extend further up the sides of the fuselage, like they did with the stalker
3) direwolf needs a ballistic cooldown penalty on its B side torsos, so its penalized for spamming ballistics.

Yeah, as much fun as ballistic boat Assault is, a ballistic cooldown penalty is probably needed, especially if it gets improved, tankier hitboxes.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users