#61 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostLunatech, on 22 June 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

The Dire Wolf can mount the equivalent weapons payload of a large nuclear bomb.

You want to buff that?

I kinda think the Dire Wolf most resembles the Jagermech in terms of how it is used. I'm no Jagermech user or driver, but the best Jagermech players seem to know how and when to dish the most damage possible, despite using a chassis that is arguably easy to disable. In fact... it's probably the best 65-tonner in its bracket.

So, while the Daishi is the easiest thing to core, at the very least it can pack in quite a lot of power and pump a lot of it out before it goes down.

If you're going to fix its surviveability, you will need to somehow nerf its power, because surpassing the Atlas (as it almost always gets its RT stripped as a natural reaction) is not what I'd call "balance".

#62 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

I remember when most Mechs could last a long while after tons of damage, even a Direwolf. That was Mech Warrior 4, and yeah all those other games.

#63 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostArchon, on 21 June 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

I love this mech. I abso-freakinglutely have loved the Direwolf ever since Mechwarrior 2. It's one of the biggest (emphasis on big) reasons I like Mechwarrior and the BT universe to begin with. It's meant to be the pinnacle of destructive battlemech technology. But it has drawbacks. It's EXTREMELY slow. The slowest mech in the game, in fact, because there is no way to increase the engine size (can we please get at least a "slightly" larger one for one of the variants?). It's got an awful torso twist. You don't get lower arm actuators if you want to use any of the beefy weapons available (the whole reason to play the Direwolf). Fine. I don't like it, but I understand needing limitations on so much firepower.

That being said, PGI, considering all of the inherent weaknesses / drawbacks this mech already has to balance it, PLEEEEEEASE fix the Center Torso hitbox! This thing attracts LRMs like a magnet. The whole point of the Direowolf having a "hood" is to have its CT protected. It should be half LT and half RT. As it stands right now, Direwolves are easily cored across the board by LURMspam and lighter mechs that dance around it and laugh. The mech is balance enough as it is. PLEASE fix the center torso!

Also, as a note to other mech pilots, please remember that your Direwolf buddies are slow, and will get eaten alive if abandoned, but can also help turn the tide of a battle in your favor if they're supported. Please remember to look after your Direwolves and your Direwolves will look after you!

Mate how can you not possibly see the balancing issues here? Are you simple?

It has all those drawbacks for a reason. It can melt anything on the battlefield in 10 seconds head on within 300m. I lost count the number of atlas that have tried to facehug me, thinking it was an even fight and died before they even got close. Melted.

Any mech that has this capability needs serious drawbacks. Direwolf is in a great place. I love mine too, and im happy with how it is because i understand balance.

EDIT: Also light mech are easy because they are close. Anything close dies unless it has lots of friends. Don't turn moving forward, turn moving backward and put some lasers/MG's in the arms.

Edited by Fade Akira, 22 June 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#64 Mr Ezzquizo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

this big boy dire wolf....

is a bad buy

do not spend money on this ****

#65 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 22 June 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

I kinda think the Dire Wolf most resembles the Jagermech in terms of how it is used. I'm no Jagermech user or driver, but the best Jagermech players seem to know how and when to dish the most damage possible, despite using a chassis that is arguably easy to disable. In fact... it's probably the best 65-tonner in its bracket.

So, while the Daishi is the easiest thing to core, at the very least it can pack in quite a lot of power and pump a lot of it out before it goes down.

If you're going to fix its surviveability, you will need to somehow nerf its power, because surpassing the Atlas (as it almost always gets its RT stripped as a natural reaction) is not what I'd call "balance".

Having briefly played both, I agree completely.

Both are relatively easy to kill, but left unchecked they can do obscene amounts of damage.

The Dire Wolf is not a front line assault mech like the Atlas. Used as such, it will go down in record time. Use it as fire support and watch everything in front of you evaporate.

#66 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

+1

#67 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

View Postezzquizo, on 22 June 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

this big boy dire wolf....

is a bad buy

do not spend money on this ****

This post just screams to me "i am a noob"....

#68 Ozeo

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

I am not a noob when it comes to this mech, It's the reason I even started in CB for MWO.

Assaults are meant to mount the largest and most devastating armor and weapons combinations. They move at the pace of a mountain. Light's and mediums are able to simply dodge out of the way of this kind of mech. This is the weakness that should be shared in ALL assault class mechs.

Now how many of you have gone into the private server and tested this with fellow clan mates? Because I have.

LRM's wreck this thing worse then I have ever seen in MWO. Most of the shield on it's head counts as CT, so think on that for a second.

If your walking up alpine or any other hill or higher point, and someone shoots at a DW, they are hitting the CT like 95% of the time, doesn't matter if you torso twist, doesnt matter if you are walking backwards.

Every single match I die in, I take a screenshot, and 90% of them thus far, are always engine destroyed. I have had my arms or torso ripped off less then 5 times out of god only knows how many matches.

Keep the speed, keep the slow turning and torso twisting, keep the weapons the way they are, just fix the CT.

I don't know why some of you are so dead set against it, it's only going to allow players to rip weapons off instead of putting the DW out of the fight.

#69 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostFade Akira, on 22 June 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Mate how can you not possibly see the balancing issues here? Are you simple?

It has all those drawbacks for a reason. It can melt anything on the battlefield in 10 seconds head on within 300m. I lost count the number of atlas that have tried to facehug me, thinking it was an even fight and died before they even got close. Melted.

Any mech that has this capability needs serious drawbacks. Direwolf is in a great place. I love mine too, and im happy with how it is because i understand balance.

EDIT: Also light mech are easy because they are close. Anything close dies unless it has lots of friends. Don't turn moving forward, turn moving backward and put some lasers/MG's in the arms.

Uhhh...no...I mentioned all of the drawbacks it already has to point out that on top of those drawbacks (which are admittedly needed for balance) it doesn't need a broken CT. L2 reading comprehension.

#70 johntherussian

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

TL:DR - OP is butthurt that his monster mech isn't also invincible. Of course he should be able to facetank an entire enemy team without any consequence.

#71 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Maybe you shouldn't have blown 210 dollars sight unseen.

#72 KGB GRU

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

I approve please fix the CT

#73 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 22 June 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

from a pilots 3rd person view, the animation may look a little wonky, but what your missing is how all the parts of the mech are reacting to gravity ( not sure how they implement weight and gravity in game) so as the mech is moving along the impact from the legs hitting the ground gives the mech a bobbing movement, so you can see its a machine with separate parts, actually I think it looks really kewl.

3rd person view is not a good position to judge the walking animation. you can see the sliding legs and jumping by observing the animation loop from side.

also, interesting thing is that the bobbing effect is not caused by legs hitting the ground as you say... it happens when the mech lifts its leg.

there are enough chicken legged mechs in game to have a reference of a good walking animation.... (timber wolf is one)

#74 Jack Corban

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPort Arthur

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

To everyone that thinks its cool a Direwolves dies in less then 5 Seconds allthough it has 100 Points of armor on CT (at least mine does) because it has neither the speed nor the Torsotwist to actually tank any damage to anything else other then its humongous CT which is obviously a mistake and not a feature i have to say but one thing

..i.. :D ..i..

#75 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

I understand people don't want the Direwolf to be too strong but you guys gotta admit its a little "too" easy to bring down. I've rarely seen one lose arms or side torso's its obvious the CT hitbox is a bit too big. The stalker had the same problem when it was first released. If you've played them at all you know immediately that the CT hitbox is too big.

#76 Masterzinja

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

The dire wolf is in dire need of a CT fix. There really isn't anything rational that can be said against it.

#77 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

Exactly theres no rational argument that can convince anyone its CT doesnt need to be fixed.

However I do believe that in exchange for fixing the CT the Daishi-B side torsos should both get a +7.5% ballistic cooldown quirk (+15% total if both are used). That would help limit the Daishi's DPS capability

I also think the Daishi-Prime left torso with the 1 missile hardpoint should get a +5% max speed quirk (instead of the useless -10% missile cooldown quirk). That would give players the option of playing a slightly faster Daishi at the expense of hardpoints and actually make the Daishi-Prime left torso worth using.

Also they need to fix the hill climbing so jumpjets arnt required. Why does a Daishi go like 10kph up a hill? Thats way too slow. Hill climbing penalties are turned up so high its no wonder everyone in the tournament used jumpjet mechs.

Edited by Khobai, 22 June 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#78 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostJack Corban, on 22 June 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

To everyone that thinks its cool a Direwolves dies in less then 5 Seconds allthough it has 100 Points of armor on CT (at least mine does) because it has neither the speed nor the Torsotwist to actually tank any damage to anything else other then its humongous CT which is obviously a mistake and not a feature i have to say but one thing

..i.. :D ..i..

If you equipped a bigger engine, you could do both, but Sir LANSalot and his crew tell me only fools play assaults with 350 engines.

Wait, you're saying the daishi is AWFUL and can't do anything because it's limited to a fixed 300 engine in a high priority target, with no ability to equip a bigger one? Who would have thought.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 22 June 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#79 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

Wait, you're saying the daishi is AWFUL and can't do anything because it's limited to a fixed 300 engine in a high priority target, with no ability to equip a bigger one? Who would have thought.

It has quirks though that improve its turning and torso twist speed. It has the equivalent of a 330 engine for turning, a 315 engine for torso twisting, and a 300 engine for speed.

#80 Ozeo

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

It's actually a joke, last map on therma, I alpha on a DW CT, and follow up with 1 shot and it's dead. I wasn't even really aiming, he came over a cliff.

30 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users