Is It Me Or Have My Fellow Mechwarriors Gotten More Ill-Mannered?

Social

180 replies to this topic

#141 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Also it'd be great if they didn't allow pubstomping 4-mans to just go wherever they wanted and added additional ELO to their total for matchmaking. Tired of clan stacking.

#142 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 June 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

It is why I censor myself on the forums, and Comms until I know i have a adult audience. I wouldn't let my son play as a 13 year old... mostly because he would get quite into it with the abusive one. He smacks my nose when I get colorful.

Yes for those of weaker constitution and young impressionable minds... I would want you to be able to mute... me. Cause I do get colorful at times. ^_^

same here (except k town lol)

It's not my responsibility to censor myself in the game but I try to when I know women and children are present (that's just how I was raised people) but on the flipside it would be an excellent addition to have the ability to mute you when you get colorful lol

View PostTechorse, on 23 June 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

Also it'd be great if they didn't allow pubstomping 4-mans to just go wherever they wanted and added additional ELO to their total for matchmaking. Tired of clan stacking.

ok?

#143 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostTechorse, on 23 June 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

Yeah god help that a game has teams when there is no single player mode. Its a TEAM BASED SHOOTER, yet there is no lobby, basically either all or nothing team modes.

The lack of community is what hurts this game, aside from PGI's continual {LT-MOB-25}-ups. The fact that if you have ANY number of people between 4-12 on at a time and you can no longer play together is a damn travesty. Its terrible and its one of the MAIN reasons that the community is crap.

Because there is none.

Edited by Yokaiko, 23 June 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#144 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 23 June 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

Yeah god help that a game has teams when there is no single player mode. Its a TEAM BASED SHOOTER, yet there is no lobby, basically either all or nothing team modes.

The lack of community is what hurts this game, aside from PGI's continual {LT-MOB-25}-ups. The fact that if you have ANY number of people between 4-12 on at a time and you can no longer play together is a damn travesty. Its terrible and its one of the MAIN reasons that the community is crap.

Because there is none.

You can have your teams and groups. But they have to play against equally sized groups of coordination. Remember the disaster when 12 mans dropped with pure PUG teams?

#145 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostTechorse, on 23 June 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

You can have your teams and groups. But they have to play against equally sized groups of coordination. Remember the disaster when 12 mans dropped with pure PUG teams?

nobody asked for anything but that

#146 Riptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 June 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

Being who I am, and how I was raised as well as my service. I don't see a difference. There wasn't a single reference to skullFing, backdoor action, or glass parking lots, or gratuitous play with steaming entrails!

You forgot all the sexual relations "your mom" had that she doesnt even know about!

#147 At least I can shoot

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 June 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

You are not very Diverse then. How do you know if they don't have good reason to be in a foul mood? What if they just found out their significant other has been cheating? Or they found out that they are dying of cancer? How inconsiderate of you to be so blind to their pain!

Once about 10 years ago, I had a week where My Brother died, My Brother in Law died, My Biological Mother died, and my best buds died. How well do you think I should react to, "Have a nice day?"

You don't have to tell someone to "F*** off", you would use the manners and say "oh I can try" or just ignore the person. Perhaps we have different views on the matter as we are from different regions of the planet (unless you are from Australia).

#148 At least I can shoot

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 June 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

under their pillow?

Yes under their pillow

#149 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

I've been thinking about this thread a bit and have some comments:

1) In game behaviour and forum behaviour are very different, most people who rub things the wrong way on the forum do actually seem to have the integrity to put forum behaviour aside and actually play the game when they are in a mech. Most "bad behaviour" in game (This is subjective incidentally as, surprise, everyone has a different opinion as usual) is no better or worse than in any other fps.

2) I personally am guilty of not really being bothered to play nice when it comes to forum posts. My opinion is that it's always better to be straight up with someone than to spare their feelings for no reason. I don't hand hold. Generally speaking, meeting anyone in this community in real life that you might have to get along with is unlikely and nothing posted will ever change the mind of anyone reading your post who has a different position in the first place, so why bother with sugar coating?

3) Guess what? People get upset when others don't agree with them on a forum, and consider disagreement to be ill-mannered. These people need to get a grip! (see I've just written something considered to be ill-mannered in some people's books).

4) This forum is filled with amateur dramatics via complaining about something or other, or blindly proclaiming MWO to be the best thing since sliced bread when it clearly is not. Generally these threads only merit stirring things a bit for the free entertainment opportunities that they present.

5) The development of this game hasn't gone in the direction that I would have liked, and sensible and reasonable discussion just falls on deaf ears, so no real reason to put a "lets behave" hat on, as the tone of posting on the forum here doesn't matter one bit.

#150 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

i have noticed people have become ill tempered in the game. Not sure why.

#151 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:51 AM

View PostJack Corban, on 22 June 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

I'm still here. And i must admit i have gotten very ill mannerd over the years. It does not matter how well thought out your Post is or how much time went into it. It does not matter that you might have way deeper look into the game mechanics than 80% of the new "Playerbase". They will come to the Forums they will Cry: NERF,P2W,OP,etc and if they think your idea has the least bit of a chance getting attention on the right side of the table and they don't like it they start dismanteling your thread or plainly insult you in a clever way until a part of you just dies inside. For me this part was my manners. I couldn't give a rats ass what people think about me anymore. All these good for nothing, here as long as its free, nerf nerf nerf, this is OP that is OP leechers and naysayers can kiss my smelly behind.

So now that i have that out of the system.

THATS WHY

Thank you for this post. seriously. you said everything I wanted to say.

Literally every decent normal suggestion I have made, has had some guy come at me with a god awful attitude and snippy remarks, borderline insulting, and derailed what should have been a normal forum conversation.

worst part is when i reported them, nothing was done, and to add insult to injury, I was told in a round about way that I deserved it and had it coming no less....

View PostTOGSolid, on 22 June 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

This is what happens when damn near everyone who cares gets driven away and the moderators don't do their part in keeping **** civilized. The shitposting idiots that are left behind get free reign to just crap all over the place.

EXACTLY!

I have complained several times myself to them, and the response was unbelievable... Told that they didn't see anything wrong, and more so, actually told me I had it coming... Honestly, PGI needs to hire new GMs & new Mods.

#152 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:32 AM

View PostTechorse, on 23 June 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

I wasn't here when that happened, but I've soloed some premade 8 man teams ( Lights were horribly broken back then :) ), can't imagine it having been that bad.

#153 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostBaronBastardKiller, on 24 June 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

Thank you for this post. seriously. you said everything I wanted to say.

Literally every decent normal suggestion I have made, has had some guy come at me with a god awful attitude and snippy remarks, borderline insulting, and derailed what should have been a normal forum conversation.

worst part is when i reported them, nothing was done, and to add insult to injury, I was told in a round about way that I deserved it and had it coming no less....

EXACTLY!

I have complained several times myself to them, and the response was unbelievable... Told that they didn't see anything wrong, and more so, actually told me I had it coming... Honestly, PGI needs to hire new GMs & new Mods.

If you ever frequented THE WAR Z (now "Survivor Stories") forums back in the day you would understand how truly atrocious moderating can be. Mods there used it as their own personal hammer and clearly played favorites. They didn't bury criticism of the game in "K Town", they incinerated it, permanently deleting anything that was contrary to the theme "This Game is Awesome".

While I'm not a fan of the way they have re-organized these forums to bury criticism, it's certainly less heavy handed than that other forum. For the most parts the Mods do a pretty decent job here and only rarely have I seen them personalize a response. Oddly enough it's the CM, Niko that has made the most mistakes and made the most inappropriate comments, and we are lucky that the rest of them have (mostly) avoided slipping like he has at times.

#154 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

From the creation of this site to the release of the clans People have started out as a friendly & positive playerbase, now it's partially or majorly tainted with negative behavior seen from other game playerbases.

I started out as friendly and positive. This was a lovely break from WoT! I didn't care about winning or losing-I just wanted good matches.
But then over time, people started to use more and more meta cheese. Lrms came into favour more and more. The gradual shift towards heavier and heavier mechs and front loaded alpha. Ganking of shutdown mechs. The gloating started to happen. Watching people do insanely stupid things in games, the getting aggressive when you asked them to do something else.
Then, watching player skill slowly decline over time-when you do over TWICE the damage in a jenner with 1 large pulse+1 medium pulse than your assault team mates....also the gradual rise of the camping team that simply will not move no mater what......

I'm ashamed to say I run my mouth=often out of sheer frustration. I try not to, but sometimes the actions of people just stagger my belief in humanity.
So sorry if I lambasted any of you.....

#155 TimePeriod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 548 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationI'm out gardening, back in 10.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

If I manage to defend myself in a otherwise pretty bad situation I see no reason why I cannot gloat or mock the enemy for failing to eliminate me.

#156 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostShabahh, on 22 June 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

Hey I'm fine with F2P models, all I was saying is that SWTOR F2P is not at all good and is there to encourage you to get a subscription. Then again I don't usually like using MMO's as a comparison with this game.

I actually like their F2P model. I can either subscribe or I can pay a one time fee and unlock a feature for a single character or my account. So whenever my friend and I get to feeling like we want to play that for a couple weeks I throw some money in my account and unlock another permanent feature for the account. So far I've unlocked the crafting and banks as well as cosmetic enhancements. Soon I'll unlock the higher tier gear account wide.

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

There's a VERY die-hard fanbase that relishes in all of the nuances and deep strategy that went into the TT game. They have played this game in just about every iteration ever made over the last 30 or so years.
I wish we had the deep strategy that TT brings to it. Those that comment that there was none in TT never dealt with Double Blind tables and rules or in long campaigns where every mech taken out was one less you were able to bring to the next conflict. The advanced rules, especially in the modern rules, work really well to make some great games.

That doesn't always mesh well with the "cool! stompy robots I can pew pew pew with! Hey I found a free shooter with big robots! Hey! What the heck is heat management? What do you mean I can't just shoot all my weapon all the time? I just wanted to come in and shoot stuff!" crowd. Now don't take any of that the wrong way. I have nothing against those types of players. I want the same thing from time to time, I play other games for it though.
There in lies some of my conflict with those players. They come into a game that isn't about that and then insist it must have that because game X does. Why make every game just like game X instead of just going and playing game X?

That creates animosity and then the "new" guy comes along and enjoys the game but wants this feature and that feature because he's been waiting "2 months and nothing done!". Meanwhile angry "hardcore" guy is thinking "wtf? 2 months?? I've been waiting 2 YEARS! sit down and wait your turn". Now of course some of the dissension between players on the forums has nothing to do with PGI or MWO, it's just people being people. That doesn't mean they shouldn't take ownership in their part of it and now we have the community going at it with each other instead of actually kicking around ideas to improve the game for EVERYone instead of this us vs. them mentality.
ESPECIALLY when the "new" guy is of the gaming demographic the company is apparently now attempting to cater to by breaking promises to the former "core group" or by dumbing down the game. New guy comes in and says something like, "Why does the 3rd person perspective look so bad? What is with the blinking light it gives my position away?" and some of us start to see red as we are reminded that PGI's vision for this game was you are the pilot and that means seeing things from the pilot's perspective and no 3rd person.

So one thing noone can ever explain is why and how a multi-million dollar gaming company cannot implement modes that will give more options to the entire community and include all of the fans without charging them extra or simply offering a queue that allows them to play in games in that "hardcore" style with all the complications that all the rules and nuances of the game lovingly bring?
It's a downward spiral they got themselves into. They don't have the playerbase to do it that way but they don't have the player base because they haven't done it that way so those that wanted that left.

As for me....

I am the first one to admit that I am pedantic and snarky. When someone makes a comment like, "No one uses..." I feel the need to correct them because obviously someone is. When they then say, "Well, no GOOD players use them..." I point them at the "No True Scottsman" fallacy.

I have stood up for PGI and some of their decisions but I have given up on them. I still play the game. I even bought a cheap Clan Pack simply to see what the clan mechs are really like. I don't really believe MWO will ever be what I bought a Founder's Pack for despite needing to fit that original purchase into a budget and eating Ramen instead of pork chops for a bit.

As I see this game drift further and further from the promise I was sold and REALLY wanted to see... and then see comments from others about how we should take it even further, I admit I get annoyed. My only real hope these days is to post and hope that PGI "listens to it's community" but we have all seen what their opinion of the forum posters is.

On top of that we do have some folks running around who are abrasive, in game and in the forums. In game is where I see most of it. The amount of racist, sexist, and homophobia I see in game is growing. I tend to respond with a flippant remark like, "I don't see how LRMs have a sexual preference." Just because not saying anything isn't making our culture change any time soon.

One thing I do notice is many times people think me commenting on their post is a personal attack on them. It's not. Sometimes I am trying to point out something I think they have overlooked or other times I am seeking clarification on their position. What people don't understand is that if you give me solid evidence I can change my mind... like supporting PGI's moves... I no longer do that due to evidence.

#157 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostMercules, on 24 June 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

One thing I do notice is many times people think me commenting on their post is a personal attack on them. It's not. Sometimes I am trying to point out something I think they have overlooked or other times I am seeking clarification on their position. What people don't understand is that if you give me solid evidence I can change my mind...

^This

"PGI sucks!"
and thus begins the great "debate" and some want to take statements like that personally. I had a situation in another thread recently where it was just constant and I finally just gave an explanation on how not liking their idea or disagreeing with them wasn't persona, it was that I didn't like the idea. Same goes for my ideas. I have had tons of ideas over the years for MWO.

Some were well met and well liked
Others were ignored
Some were outright blasted
A few were countered with examples of why and how that idea couldn't work. (These are my personal favorites as then it makes me reassess my suggestion and come up with a new idea that WILL work)

I've gotten to the point where I just hit the block button more often now. It saves me the headaches and I can always just pick and choose who's posts to read

#158 TOPGUN Stinger

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMiramar, California

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostRiptor, on 23 June 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

You forgot all the sexual relations "your mom" had that she doesnt even know about!

Air Boss Johnson: Negative, Ghost Rider Riptor, the pattern is full.

#159 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostAt least I can shoot, on 23 June 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

You don't have to tell someone to "F*** off", you would use the manners and say "oh I can try" or just ignore the person. Perhaps we have different views on the matter as we are from different regions of the planet (unless you are from Australia).

Have to No. Want to... More often than you can imagine There are just times when feeling overrides your mouth brain connection. As a 48 year old man... I can and will often tell you EXACTLY how I feel, Face to Face. On a forum, not seeing you, I hold my tongue, not knowing if someone is 21 or 12.

#160 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

My friends forbade me from speaking to the rest of the guild in one game. I was a healer in an MMO and had a habit of stating my opinion of people who pulled agro, used up too much of my resources, or moved out of range of my heals then complained when they died.

I wasn't the arrogent, "I control everything and will dole out healing to you when I feel like it." healer either, but my ass was glued to the main tank and they were my main priority. So basically I was allowed to say:

"Adds from..." direction
"Big Heal coming."
"X is out of range for heals."
"Rebuffing gather if you need X."
"Out of Mana."

I could also answer questions directed at me if I kept it brief.

Even so I think I have had a minor warning on this forum(for reporting someone else's bad behavior) and maybe one warning on any other forum I've been on.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users