Is It Me Or Have My Fellow Mechwarriors Gotten More Ill-Mannered?

Social

180 replies to this topic

#161 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

I wonder how many of the pre-2012 players are still here.

Very few I'm afraid.
Because of PGI insane and inane effort to drive them away.
Because they feared that they would dominate the game.
Which as you can see has not even happened.
My former team of over a 100 members, for the most part has just moved on.
That was 100 people buying trinkets and mc for real world cash.
100 you say is a small number?
True, but multiply that over the fan base and you'd be shocked.
I'm still here, but saddened and disgruntled.

Edited by Novakaine, 24 June 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#162 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostMercules, on 24 June 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

My friends forbade me from speaking to the rest of the guild in one game. I was a healer in an MMO and had a habit of stating my opinion of people who pulled agro, used up too much of my resources, or moved out of range of my heals then complained when they died.

I wasn't the arrogent, "I control everything and will dole out healing to you when I feel like it." healer either, but my ass was glued to the main tank and they were my main priority. So basically I was allowed to say:

"Adds from..." direction
"Big Heal coming."
"X is out of range for heals."
"Rebuffing gather if you need X."
"Out of Mana."

I could also answer questions directed at me if I kept it brief.

Even so I think I have had a minor warning on this forum(for reporting someone else's bad behavior) and maybe one warning on any other forum I've been on.

lol I can understand that. I ran a healer on an MMO and when we would do raids I got to the point where if you were just going all rambo and hurting us more than helping, I knew exactly where to position myself to ensure that player didn't get healed while everyone else did. I wouldn't say a word but eventually they'd say something and my typical reply was "I'm not going to chase you down just to heal you. You want healing? Do what everyone else does and pay attention" lol

View PostNovakaine, on 24 June 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

That was 100 people buying trinkets and mc for real world cash.
100 you say is a small number?

exactly
It adds up when you get 10-15 of those "small" units leaving...

#163 Onyxian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

I quit MWO months ago, but my brother continued to play and talked me into reinstalling. I even bought a clan pack (money isn't a problem). I don't have time to play often, so... yeah, I suck. I know it.

So, last night I'm getting to really play my clan mechs for about the first time (a couple hours to play, not just jumping in for a couple games), and get my tail handed to me a bunch.

I drop into Forest and open with a comment to my group "I'm really tired of getting slaughtered"

to which, some ****** named Hbizzle responded "get better at life"

I've been called a lot of rude names in my limited MWO experience. But this was by far the rudest thing I've ever heard, while also having the distinction of being the stupidest.

"get better at life" Seriously?

This dude is aware that this is just a game, right? This isn't life. and if it's his life, I feel sorry for him.

And FWIW, I am fantastic at life. I've got a great job, the most amazing wife (no offense to all you other married guys, but my wife is the best woman alive, bar none), great kids. I know a lot of people lose touch with their friends, but I've had the same group of friends for 20 years. I don't bother going to HS reunions because I still talk to the people I care about from then. I know, it's the internet and I could say anything, but it doesn't matter because my life is awesome.

But yes, at this, this game, I'm awful.

#164 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:58 AM

View PostOnyxian, on 25 June 2014 - 03:48 AM, said:

I quit MWO months ago, but my brother continued to play and talked me into reinstalling. I even bought a clan pack (money isn't a problem). I don't have time to play often, so... yeah, I suck. I know it.

So, last night I'm getting to really play my clan mechs for about the first time (a couple hours to play, not just jumping in for a couple games), and get my tail handed to me a bunch.

I drop into Forest and open with a comment to my group "I'm really tired of getting slaughtered"

to which, some ****** named Hbizzle responded "get better at life"

I've been called a lot of rude names in my limited MWO experience. But this was by far the rudest thing I've ever heard, while also having the distinction of being the stupidest.

"get better at life" Seriously?

This dude is aware that this is just a game, right? This isn't life. and if it's his life, I feel sorry for him.

And FWIW, I am fantastic at life. I've got a great job, the most amazing wife (no offense to all you other married guys, but my wife is the best woman alive, bar none), great kids. I know a lot of people lose touch with their friends, but I've had the same group of friends for 20 years. I don't bother going to HS reunions because I still talk to the people I care about from then. I know, it's the internet and I could say anything, but it doesn't matter because my life is awesome.

tell me about it.

thing is I don't quite know how to react sometimes.. part of me thinks its just some dumb kid.. but the sad reality is lots of the player base is actually people in their late 20's going on into late 30's... and when I think of someone that age.... making remarks like that.. I just lose my cool...

Like you said... it's a game.. games are for recreation. Having a gaming addiction and playing "for life" is a disease... not something to be proud of.... Wow... you got a 3.1 KDR in a video game? awesome... how's your love life or financial situation holding up? or are those things of no importance to a virtual non-existant reality of numbers based on a bunch of pixels....

I was getting pretty good at this game... but after seeing the player base.. and seeing how people react to certain things, I find myself playing less and less... and when I get the urge to really play... I tell myself.. what's the point... you're just going to get annoyed, get into an argument, see a bunch of douchy behavior, sink to their level, and walk away having not enjoyed yourself... Go play some other game... or just noodle around online...

#165 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

Because of PGI insane and inane effort to drive them away.
Because they feared that they would dominate the game.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

PGI didn't fear anyone "dominating" the game. They're just here to provide grab deals and get $$$ for as close to precisely the minimum product needed to do so.

Now,believing what you just said would be "insane and inane" on the level of folks who tell you the lizard people are in cahoots with the Illuminati to control the world.

#166 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostBaronBastardKiller, on 25 June 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

tell me about it.

thing is I don't quite know how to react sometimes.. part of me thinks its just some dumb kid.. but the sad reality is lots of the player base is actually people in their late 20's going on into late 30's... and when I think of someone that age.... making remarks like that.. I just lose my cool...

Like you said... it's a game.. games are for recreation. Having a gaming addiction and playing "for life" is a disease... not something to be proud of.... Wow... you got a 3.1 KDR in a video game? awesome... how's your love life or financial situation holding up? or are those things of no importance to a virtual non-existant reality of numbers based on a bunch of pixels....

I was getting pretty good at this game... but after seeing the player base.. and seeing how people react to certain things, I find myself playing less and less... and when I get the urge to really play... I tell myself.. what's the point... you're just going to get annoyed, get into an argument, see a bunch of douchy behavior, sink to their level, and walk away having not enjoyed yourself... Go play some other game... or just noodle around online...

Which is why I personally seek out groups of like-minded players. Cuts down on the number of people like that I have to listen to and deal with.

#167 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

View PostSandpit, on 25 June 2014 - 07:28 AM, said:

Which is why I personally seek out groups of like-minded players. Cuts down on the number of people like that I have to listen to and deal with.

Not that you can ever truly escape them no matter what you do, no matter where you go.

Posted Image

#168 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

View PostOnyxian, on 25 June 2014 - 03:48 AM, said:

I will have to disagree, as My wife of 25+ years is the best woman alive! :D :D :huh:

#169 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 July 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

I will have to disagree, as My wife of 25+ years is the best woman alive! :D :D :huh:

I think you guys should swap, to compare.

#170 Trainwreck

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

I'm an old school player back recently as well. For the most part I'm one of those silent types, I haven't seen much reason to find any sort of organization yet because well truthfully it's kinda pointless without CW. But that aside I tend to have the most fun in the solo que anyway with a mediocre elo, great variety of chassis and builds around some good some bad but all in all great fun. Give me a reason to group up and I'm game though

Edited by Trainwreck, 11 July 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#171 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

View PostTrainwreck, on 11 July 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

I'm an old school player back recently as well. For the most part I'm one of those silent types, I haven't seen much reason to find any sort of organization yet because well truthfully it's kinda pointless without CW. But that aside I tend to have the most fun in the solo que anyway with a mediocre elo, great variety of chassis and builds around some good some bad but all in all great fun. Give me a reason to group up and I'm game though

Welcome back.

#172 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

I wonder how many of the pre-2012 players are still here.

I only float around now...don't play anymore.

Edited by Zyllos, 11 July 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#173 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostSephlock, on 11 July 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

I think you guys should swap, to compare.

I wouldn't even consider the possibility!

(No insult intended)

#174 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

From the creation of this site to the release of the clans People have started out as a friendly & positive playerbase, now it's partially or majorly tainted with negative behavior seen from other game playerbases.

The solo queue? well yeah of course. When most of the players who aren't joystick using mouth breathers are playing groups... Of course there is a far greater need for l2p pep talks. How else will bads know they are bad?

#175 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,999 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Plus you get to feel good about yourself when you yell at people and they perform poorly! Of course it's entirely their fault, and you didn't cause a self-fulfilling prophecy at all.

#176 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

We used to be a very bright and hopeful bunch. We were the crowd who grew up on the Mechwarrior single player games. We grit our teeth and bore not being able to have a single player game, because we were going to have a multiplayer game that wasn't just another generic shoot-em-up. It looked like we might get a new Multiplayer Battletech 3025.

We forked over cash, expecting those key Community Warfare mechanics. It's not something terribly difficult to include into a game.

However, two years later, CGL went back on many promises, dragged their feet on projects, and did not provide the single player fans with any of the immersive experience we were accustomed to. We either quit, or became jaded. Many of us who would give money hand over fist in hopes for a good game have given up giving CGL money, because instead of catering to those of us that want that immersion into the Battletech universe, they hope to rope the E-sports types, Monster Energy Drinks, Doritos, and all. The kinds of players that really don't care whether there's CW or not, so long as they can brag about how great they are as players.

So the dynamic of the community has changed from one of optimism to one of pessimism. Playing as a team has fallen in favor of scrambling over each other to make the most C-bills possible, and there's nothing to work towards save for bragging about how optimized your mechs are and how high your match score is. In other words, it's the "Just another internet game" that we were worried we'd end up with from the start.

We grind to buy more 'mechs and level them up, only to move on to the next one. There's no other goal. Nothing to be a part of.

Edited by ice trey, 11 July 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#177 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 11 July 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

Plus you get to feel good about yourself when you yell at people and they perform poorly! Of course it's entirely their fault, and you didn't cause a self-fulfilling prophecy at all.

There is no way to know I am going to tell the bads they are bad before they are bad. That would be a real feat fulfilling a prophecy before it was made. If they were going to be bad then blame it on someone else who points at them and laughs at their badness after the fact, they are even worse bads.

#178 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hi everybody ;)

I still hate everything.

#179 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,999 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

That's not how a self-fulfilling prophecy applies here. What I'm referring to is the verified fact that people perform worse when they're angry, nervous, afraid, or otherwise stressed. So if people screw up, and someone goes up in flames at them, they will perform measurably worse - very few people have the verbal insulation to ignore abuse in the heat of the moment; just witness the flame wars on any gaming forum.

Edited by Void Angel, 11 July 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#180 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

PGI and it's customers is just like the bad king and it's peasants

First, the peasants grow annoyed
Than upset,
Than angry,
Than furious,
Than enrage
Than they revolt (on the forums)

No community warfare is like no jobs, no advancement and just water supply stagnation, but hey - you can pay tribute to the king still! $$

Edited by Karamarka, 11 July 2014 - 09:06 PM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users