Is It Me Or Have My Fellow Mechwarriors Gotten More Ill-Mannered?

Social

180 replies to this topic

#61 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 22 June 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

They can only lie to you, if you believe them.

Oh, okay.

Screenshotting your post so I can share it with everybody I know. The file will be named mwo ultimate pgi ubergold defender.png

I know you love PGI a lot, and you're kinda crazy, but there are limits to the amount of crazy you're allowed to express in public.

#62 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

I wonder how many of the pre-2012 players are still here.

I started at the very end of closed beta in 2012. Still here! Don't play but sporadically during the week, but occasionally put in a 2 or 3 hour marathon.

@OP...

I personally haven't noticed the in-game playerbase to be too toxic at the mid/upper ELO levels (I'm presuming, for me in Lights, Medium, Heavy), but I have noticed a degradation in the lower levels when I play Assaults and notice an influx of trial mechs. A bit more "noob" or "my team sucks" rants, but nothing new for sure. The lower ELO ranks have always been pretty trashy in chat.

As for the forums, well I just ignore the cliché "OP this" and "Nerf that" posts unless the title hints at having a modicum of rational thought behind it. Anyone familiar with public game forums will easily recognize these posts as standard fair, and should not draw conclusions of the overall state of the game. I think most gamers attracted to MWO fall into this category. I think the mods are doing a decent job.

#63 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

View PostDamocles69, on 22 June 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

bro,
do you even internet?

Posted Image
Yes, Yes i do

#64 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

ALL THE THE THINGS HE SAID
ALL THE STUFF HE LISTED

All of it is spot on, if not a bit forgiving.

For many of us that have been through all that, I'm afraid you will have to bear with us if we talk about PGI in less than flattering terms are cynical of anything they say.

The only thing they have EVER proven they can deliver on time and with regularity are Mechs for sale.

I have seen some recent improvement, but that still doesn't make up for all the past mistakes and transgressions. Give me a year of positive progress and I will start cutting them some slack again.

Posted Image

Edited by TLBFestus, 23 June 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#65 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

Yea people are a little more cynical and ill-tempered, myself included. I burned through all my goodwill a long time ago and now everyone hates me even when I try to not be a raging *******, like even if I say something without swearing or make a perfectly valid point. Oh well.

#66 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 22 June 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

All of it is spot on, if not a bit forgiving.

For many of us that have been through all that, I'm afraid you will have to bear with us if we talk about PGI in less than flattering terms are cynical of anything they say.

The only thing they have EVER proven they can deliver on time and with regularity are Mechs for sale.

I have seen some recent improvement, but that still doesn't make up for all the past mistakes and transgressions. Give me a year of positive progress and I will start cutting them some slack again.

Posted Image

Here's the thing
When PP was announced, PGI really ramped up communication (which was beyond non-existent, another thing a lot of the "newer" players don't understand.) and really seemed to be hitting development dates.They said all the right things
Then
PP was over, they had collected all they could collect
Communication went near silent again
We went from "Hey yea, we appreciate your feedback and are really listening!"
to
"Position at the time. We're only concerned with "true" supporters, your money and time, and help within the community is dismissed and inconsequential"

and finally
CW before Clans
No really
We promise this time and we'll also keep UI2.0 fixes the highest priority
to
Clans on sale now! Buy now!
Everything else is on "hold" while we make sure we get clans out on time...

Fool me once...

It's the same cycle we've seen from since monetized items were introduced. When something for big money comes along we get handshakes, hugs, and pats on the back. Once that sale is over, we're right back to "position at the time" BS.

Again, these attitudes and animosity weren't created overnight. They were fostered and helped along with PGI's poor communication, customer service skills, and missed deadlines.

I'm going to give another example to show the difference.
For a loooooooooong time I defended PGI and MWO against the "SC" crowd (star citizen)
I was understanding about missed deadlines, development problems, etc. Hey **** happens right? No biggy

Then I finally hit my personal limit of tolerance. I took the money for a clan pack here and invested in SC.
One of the biggest arguments (that I myself have now been on both sides of) was the difference in the development of SC and MWO.
The best example I can give is this:

SC announced a deadline for their highly anticipated dogfighting module that would finally get players in the game. (Keep in mind that the SC forums have just as much grumbling and issues as MWO and any other gaming community). It was delayed a couple of times.
Each time it was delayed there was a detailed answer as to why, what they were doing, and how they were fixing the problems.
It was delayed again recently just before release.
The dev team there explained in detail why it was being delayed (the delay was about a week IIRC) and gave a list of what exactly they were working on to get it ready for release. They also stated they would give DAILY updates on where they were with the bug fixes and ensured that the community was kept informed. Then they released it.

PGI's version of this?
CW 30 days away!
*no information of any kind for weeks and months on end*

CW 90 days after launch
*again, no information on the missed deadline for weeks and months*

CW 30 days!
*again, no information of any kind until Russ announces that NOW they can BEGIN work on CW because they were waiting to see what would happen with the license extension before beginning work on it*

CW before clans!
*24 hours later CW is relegated to AFTER clan release sometime "soon"

See the difference in how those are handled and how one of those examples just might piss off a lot of customers?

#67 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

See the difference in how those are handled and how one of those examples just might piss off a lot of customers?

SirLANSalot's new name is "Captain America".

#68 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

The playerbase is indeed more rude now
due to a few recent games and other situations

#69 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

The playerbase is indeed more rude now
due to a few recent games and other situations

Recent games and other situations? You mean like Titanfall :D?

#70 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

people are STILL whining about 3pv???

good god. let it go.

#71 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 22 June 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

people are STILL whining about 3pv???

good god. let it go.

Ok people, take note.

This is what I mean about true trolling. See this above statement?
OP asks a question, a few people dispute some statements, examples are used, etc.

Then you get stuff like this. Who's "whining" about anything Kilo?
I don't see a single solitary "emg 3PV sucks, I hate it, oh noooooo, remove it!"

I DO see, a question asked, and 3pv given as an example of a few things. Thanks for sharing though?

#72 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

Ok people, take note.

This is what I mean about true trolling.

I had a reply all typed out, but after rereading that line a few times I decided there wasn't a point.

have a nice day :D

#73 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 22 June 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

I had a reply all typed out, but after rereading that line a few times I decided there wasn't a point.

at least we can be thankful for small blessings :D good day to you as well :rolleyes:

#74 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 22 June 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 09:25 PM, said:

at least we can be thankful for small blessings :D good day to you as well :rolleyes:

You see, this is what we need more of! Civility!

#75 Shabahh Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Those are forums for ya man. Just don't dwell on them too much.

View PostSephlock, on 22 June 2014 - 07:50 PM, said:

Didn't the first three all fail and HAVE TO go F2P?

And does anyone know if they ever continued the Lex Luthor storyline? Last I heard he met himself from the future in some warehouse.

Don't know about the others, but SWTOR still had over a million players by the time it went F2P. The problem was EA being EA expected WoW numbers. Also have you seen their F2P model? It's total BS for an MMO. It's still MUCH more worth it to get a subscription. Also when people see a game go F2P, it's automatically treated as a failure even if it's still going fine, like RIFT.

Edited by Shabahh, 22 June 2014 - 09:50 PM.

#76 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

Still here. Not as much as used to be. But i am waiting till this broken game is fixed. Sandpit named almost all of it.

I can be a azz ingame sometimes but it's mostly by teamplayers with situational awareness of a banana.

Edited by Sarlic, 22 June 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#77 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostShabahh, on 22 June 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

Those are forums for ya man. Just don't dwell on them too much.

Don't know about the others, but SWTOR still had over a million players by the time it went F2P. The problem was EA being EA expected WoW numbers. Also have you seen their F2P model? It's total BS for an MMO. It's still MUCH more worth it to get a subscription. Also when people see a game go F2P, it's automatically treated as a failure even if it's still going fine, like RIFT.

you're talking about gamers "in the know" though. The casual gamer looking for something new sees a f2p and goes "cool!" along with the entire demographic that simply, for whatever reason, cannot or will not pay a steady monthly sub fee. I know that I, for a very long time, would not play MMOs because the idea of having to pay every month to continue to play the game just didn't appeal to me. It had nothing to do with pricing or ability to afford, it had to do with my personal preference.

What began my trip into MMOs was DDO and DCUO. DDO was f2p and I gave it a shot but without really getting into the community to me it just seemed like a very tedious game. DCUO came along, let jim lee handle the artwork, and let me play alongside Superman.
SOLD! lol
But, even then I opted to just purchase a lifetime subscription instead of paying month to month.
As I got much more aqcuianted with the MMO world and playstyles involved I grew to enjoy them more. Then I began to dabble my toes into the PvP area. That's when I was truly hooked (one of my issues with games is I generally grow bored with them as they tend to become either too easy or just impossible to beat if you choose the truly crazy hardcore ninja setting PvP is always a challenge which is what I enjoy) Then as DCUO went F2P I began searching out more F2P games. It was a mixed bag of utter crap to really enjoyable.

Why do I say all of that?

Well to try and explain that there are tons of gamers out there that don't fall into those categories. Those gamers love F2P models because they can play some pretty nifty games without costing a penny if they don't like it. This is also where some of the division (especially for this particular IP) comes from regarding the community. There's a VERY die-hard fanbase that relishes in all of the nuances and deep strategy that went into the TT game. They have played this game in just about every iteration ever made over the last 30 or so years.
That doesn't always mesh well with the "cool! stompy robots I can pew pew pew with! Hey I found a free shooter with big robots! Hey! What the heck is heat management? What do you mean I can't just shoot all my weapon all the time? I just wanted to come in and shoot stuff!" crowd. Now don't take any of that the wrong way. I have nothing against those types of players. I want the same thing from time to time, I play other games for it though.

This is where this game, in the eyes of many, began to go wrong, along with PGI's development choices. This game really was a much deeper, complex, and all-around strategical game once upon a time. You think mechs are easy to kill now when you make a bone-headed move and get caught in a bad situation with your mech? You think teams that used teamwork and strategy are killer now? It was tenfold many moons ago. It was loved by that first crowd I mentioned. Everything really seemed to be moving in a direction they enjoyed and could support.

Then

More of that second crowd started filtering in as the game went OB and then finally launched. Well this crowd didn't like all that strategy and teamwork mess. They just wanted to drop and go boom boom boom. So we started seeing more of what is commonly referred to as "dumbing down" of the game and "easy buttons" being implemented. Regardless of your opinion on that, it's what was being perceived. So PGI continues to make direction changes that make the game more friendly to this crowd. Hey, that's great! Except for one thing...

Instead of including that first crowd and giving them options ot continue playing the "harder" setting, they continued to develop the game for ONE crowd while excluding the other. Now just about every other shooter that I play online that I can think of, does both. They don't go out of their way to alienate, mock, antagonize, and exclude their "hardcore" fans. They ensure that those fans also have a place in the game, community, and direction of development. So here we are now with a game that really has gone out of its way to make that original crowd, that believes they really helped fund and get this game off the ground which by no means discounts or dismisses all the players who came after and also contributed, feel like it was inconsequential by saying things like
"you're on an island"
"we're targeting a new demographic"
"we thank all those "true" supporters"

So now we have an even bigger rift within the community. Because PGI chose to dismiss that original "hardcore" crowd instead of embracing and including them, they chose to discard them. That creates animosity and then the "new" guy comes along and enjoys the game but wants this feature and that feature because he's been waiting "2 months and nothing done!". Meanwhile angry "hardcore" guy is thinking "wtf? 2 months?? I've been waiting 2 YEARS! sit down and wait your turn". Now of course some of the dissension between players on the forums has nothing to do with PGI or MWO, it's just people being people. That doesn't mean they shouldn't take ownership in their part of it and now we have the community going at it with each other instead of actually kicking around ideas to improve the game for EVERYone instead of this us vs. them mentality.

So one thing noone can ever explain is why and how a multi-million dollar gaming company cannot implement modes that will give more options to the entire community and include all of the fans without charging them extra or simply offering a queue that allows them to play in games in that "hardcore" style with all the complications that all the rules and nuances of the game lovingly bring?
Why is it that every single other game in this style has ways of doing that but this one can't?

Before anyone uses the "small development team" they've made millions of dollars and had 2 years to expand their development team. It's not a valid reason anymore.

-Signed-
"TRUE" MWO Supporter

P.S. As far as taking ownership for their part in it? An apology from Russ for openly mocking customers with things like
"islands"
and "true support"
would go a long way to at least START mending the perceptions of many. Regardless of your opinion on whether those perceptions are right or wrong, they're still the reality for that individual.

#78 Shabahh Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:11 PM

Hey I'm fine with F2P models, all I was saying is that SWTOR F2P is not at all good and is there to encourage you to get a subscription. Then again I don't usually like using MMO's as a comparison with this game.

#79 Bobby Blast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern United States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:13 AM

View PostShabahh, on 22 June 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

Hey I'm fine with F2P models, all I was saying is that SWTOR F2P is not at all good and is there to encourage you to get a subscription. Then again I don't usually like using MMO's as a comparison with this game.

I very much enjoy SWtOR. The stories are fantastic.

#80 ktKAPS

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:11 AM

Been playing since closed beta and still having fun with the game although I did take a break for awhile but only because I started playing something else.

As with every online game I've played when people are anonymous and only known by a Handle, their cockiness tends to rise significantly but normally are quite the opposite in real life.

Reminds of The movie Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back at the end where they show up at people's houses who talked crap on them within their blog and beat the living crap out of them, Oh how I wish I could do that to some of these people I meet online, lol.

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users