Is It Me Or Have My Fellow Mechwarriors Gotten More Ill-Mannered?

Social

180 replies to this topic

#81 Oni Ralas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:29 AM

2011'er checking in!

The community is a mixed bag, some old rage, some new. It's...very odd right now.

#82 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

Quote: "Reminds of The movie Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back at the end where they show up at people's houses who talked crap on them within their blog and beat the living crap out of them,..."
One of my favorite Movies of all time (am i crazy? yes.for.sure. ;) ) this fits to this thread (the first 15 seconds):

i´m here from CBT-times, too. Compared to other games this one is pretty civil^^. esp. ingame.

have a nice day everyone

#83 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

There is just so many silly "LRM OP, NERF NOW" threads I can read without snapping.

#84 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

From the creation of this site to the release of the clans People have started out as a friendly & positive playerbase, now it's partially or majorly tainted with negative behavior seen from other game playerbases.

In general, games and developers garner the communities that they deserve.

Edited by NextGame, 23 June 2014 - 04:40 AM.

#85 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:56 AM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

Gospel
-Signed-
"TRUE" MWO Supporter

P.S. As far as taking ownership for their part in it? An apology from Russ for openly mocking customers with things like
"islands"
and "true support"
would go a long way to at least START mending the perceptions of many. Regardless of your opinion on whether those perceptions are right or wrong, they're still the reality for that individual.

Amen brother. The "your on an island", "true support" and my personal favorite "Not our target audience" are simply PR gaffs.
Off handed comments made in a casual environment with there guard down.

This

"CW 30 days!
*again, no information of any kind until Russ announces that NOW they can BEGIN work on CW because they were waiting to see what would happen with the license extension before beginning work on it*"

Is cold calculated business that treats its customers like money pinatas. When all comments are viewed collectively i dont see any chance for any sort of reconciliation let alone an apology. The situation is the same as its always been its take it or leave it .

So over time issues between the community and PGI have caused loyal BT/MW fans "Not our target audience" to move on becoming replaced with PGI's target audience. So yes i can see a difference between the two communities and it started with open beta

Every now and then i run across people who will verbally bait someone and taunt them in chat. Thank god for No forced VOIP- chat option. The x-box live people with antisemitic - raciest - homophobic. vitriol seems to be the target audience.

#86 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

i wonder if pgi can turn the community into a very friendly playerbase

#87 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 23 June 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

How would you do it?

PGI has issues handling relations between itself and its player base, let alone inter player behavior.

Edited by Tombstoner, 23 June 2014 - 06:55 AM.

#88 Iskareot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 433 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNW,IN

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

From the creation of this site to the release of the clans People have started out as a friendly & positive playerbase, now it's partially or majorly tainted with negative behavior seen from other game playerbases.

It's a mess and to be honest... I almost think some separation is in order. Is it wrong to ask to be teamed up with veteran players instead of new ones? Not saying either can't be a jerk but in most respects some of the older are not.

Maybe some sort of cut off? 3 months... new players just with new players, so whatever the time in grade is - they try to match it somehow? (of course this is all based on solo drops, all things working and really a BIG playerbase). So in short doubtful.

I was in a drop the other day... I dropped loaded in.. WHOLE map.. avl. I even avoid my own team some because that is like a moving can of sardines waiting to shoot each other.... I GO to this spot by a rock.... Out of the blue a CAT comes up and no **** stands in front of me by 2 feet. Now I have been there shooting mechs for a good 4 mins... and this guy actually just comes up right in front of me and stands there... hitting my mech even. So I tell him to freaking move and not stand on me .... This moron does not move... This goes on for too long. Needless to say this idiot didnt last long but the point is the increase of the stupid in drops is up - yes.

And it sucks.

#89 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 23 June 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

Those bridges burned a long time ago.

#90 Flatfoot

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCheyenne Wyoming

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

I wonder how many of the pre-2012 players are still here.

Im around . I left for a year and I can see the difference. At least its not as bad as World of Tanks. Its pretty toxic over there.

#91 Biaxialrain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 291 posts
  • LocationThe Borderlands

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

They could simply add a profanity filter like they have on this forum.

I do not think they care at all.

#92 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

I have been here even before Alpha. I was reading these forums when they were still deciding what was what. I agree that the manners have gone down, quite a bit. I think its a combination of a few things:

1) An influx of players who have never played any form on MW, online or no. They dont care about the past (and really dont have to) and just care about the current state of online shooters and what they want.

2) Players who love the franchise, going against that new influx.

3) Players who love the franchise who have been fractured as a group by decisions PGI has made (pro or con). They have seen lots of decisions and had many frustrating conversations with one another, and over time those conversation have devolved into posts that refelct that.

We all love the franchise, but we all show that love in different forms, some of which comes out as anger,

#93 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostWolfways, on 22 June 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

*waves* ;)

I remember when you offered the opponent the chance to surrender (shutdown) and he wouldn't be fired upon if he accepted (and stayed shutdown). That would never happen now ;)

Mainly because there is no bonus from completing a cap, and with the base turrets it can be a royal PITA. Plus, r&r is no longer in the game, so besides kdr, you are not doing your opponent the courtesy of saving his repair bills.

#94 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Then we get the Phoenix Pack announcement.

Yeah, the only reason I hang around is, I am still waiting for this to be injected for my Phoenix pack purchase:

"Loyalty Points
Q: What are Loyalty Points?
A: Loyalty Points are part of the upcoming Community Warfare expansion. Players will be able to work with and/or pledge allegiance to one of the major factions within the game's universe. Loyalty Points are earned by doing a variety of activities within the game. Players will have a pooled loyalty rank value per in-game faction. As the player performs specific actions they will earn loyalty points which are added or removed from these individual faction rank pools. Loyalty Point boosts increase the positive earning of points in these individual boosts. Earning a high level of rank with anyone one faction, earns the player access to specific faction content and economic benefits. Further details will be revealed with upcoming announcements on Community Warfare.

Q: Does the Phoenix Bronze Faction Medallion ‘Loyalty Boost’ of 2.5%, stack together with the 10% Loyalty Boost when using a Phoenix BattleMech?
A: Yes – giving a total of 12.5% Loyalty Boost per match when using a Phoenix BattleMech that is equipped with a Faction Medallion." http://mwomercs.com/...t-phoenix-faqs/ June 13, 2013.

I don't have the reference handy to the statement made later that they would be tracking loyalty points earned so that they could be factored in later. Too lazy to look that up for you right now.

Still waiting for further details. Still waiting to learn my rank in my faction. Still waiting for specific faction content and economic benefits.

I have a feeling that I will be waiting a long, long, long time.

View PostWolfways, on 22 June 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

*waves* ;)

I remember when you offered the opponent the chance to surrender (shutdown) and he wouldn't be fired upon if he accepted (and stayed shutdown). That would never happen now ;)

I remember when the Grand Council rule was: you must hold your fire on any mech that is shut down, until it moves or fires.

And we did, on an honor system. Try making any house or game rule these days, outside the old timers playing in the stock league. Rules these days are just scoffed at and broken on principle. Another Netmech rule we had: no boating, unless agreed upon. These munchkin cheese builds all over the place--mistakenly referred to as "meta"--are just a symptom of the entitlement syndrome rampant in this game. I would be ashamed to play using the boater "min/max" crutch. BTW, no need to quote the "winning is everything" arguments, I've already heard them, I won't even bother responding to that drivel.

Ok, somebody else's turn on the soapbox now.

<steps down>

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 23 June 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#95 MastersVoice

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

/Wave ;)

#96 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:31 AM

funny i did not know you can measure Manners.

guess you making the first mistake of pointing out then.. about ill Mannered

#97 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostAbisha, on 23 June 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

funny i did not know you can measure Manners.

Manners come in all sorts of flavors.

http://thesaurus.com...e/well-mannered

Scroll down, there are dozens of shapes and sizes.

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 23 June 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#98 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 23 June 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

Manners come in all sorts of flavors.

http://thesaurus.com...e/well-mannered

Scroll down, there are dozens of shapes and sizes.

those are definitions, not mathematical number so you can measure it....

#99 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostAbisha, on 23 June 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

those are definitions, not mathematical number so you can measure it....

They are attributes, like pedantry, and are usually discerned by social interaction, not scientific or mathematical measure.

Put THAT in your slide rule.
Posted Image
Dang, this game is more fun than MW:O!

GG, Clothes.

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 23 June 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#100 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

I have always felt this community was fairly trollish. With all of the L2P bullshit posts and troll builds, its been fairly obvious to me.

38 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 38 guests, 0 anonymous users