22 replies to this topic

#1 Kryton77

• PipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

Can anyone explain to me how a Gauss Rifle can strip the armour on the center torso of a Dire Wolf in a single shot?
I was just in a game where my armour was yellow, so still a fair bit left (started with 94 on center). I took a gauss hit from an unknown mech as I was facing a hill, and my front center went critical damage. Even if it was two gauss at the same time, I wouldn't have expected the internal to go dark orange.
Am I missing something I'm not aware of?

#2 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:24 AM

I don't know for sure since the exact circumstances are not known to me, but I do know that if it was two Gauss Rifles that hit you that adds up to 30 damage, so a pretty big number for your stock CT armor to take.
You could always do what I do and move almost all of the armor up front, that way you'll survive such hits with greater ease (unless, of course, they hit your rear hitboxes, in which case you're rather doomed)

#3 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

I've heard of a glitch where the paperdoll doesn't update properly, causing a hit to look far more powerful than it should when it actually does update. I haven't noticed it myself, nor do I know the conditions which cause it, but it offers a possible explanation.

That, or you ran into a really sneaky gaussJager premade. I did that today, it wasn't fun.

#4 senaiboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

Maybe it was a Dire Wolf with 3x Gauss?

Or even 4x Gauss.

Edited by senaiboy, 22 June 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#5 Deimir

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

View Postsenaiboy, on 22 June 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

Maybe it was a Dire Wolf with 3x Gauss?

Or even 4x Gauss.

You can only charge 2 Gauss Rifles at once, so if it was a 3 or 4 Gauss Direwolf, then it would have taken multiple hits. Which if there was a lag spike, could have made it *look* like a single shot.

#6 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

There could be more than a GR in that shot. Many folks are able to stack other balistics with the GR (the PPC is popular), and on my old PC< I rarely saw PPC shots (it's a low settings/FPS issue)

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

Could easily have been two enemies with two gauss rifles each.

#8 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

cheese whales says hi. 50pt alpha to ya face

#9 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

To clarify, did you see the mech shooting you or did you just hear the gauss strike? Because my Dire Wolf has a 94.5 alpha that includes 2 gauss and I have seen a few others running that build as well. If you were shot from an unexpected angle, say from below the loading dock on crimson, you could possibly not see the lasers also hitting you.

#10 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

View PostRouken, on 23 June 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

To clarify, did you see the mech shooting you or did you just hear the gauss strike? Because my Dire Wolf has a 94.5 alpha that includes 2 gauss and I have seen a few others running that build as well. If you were shot from an unexpected angle, say from below the loading dock on crimson, you could possibly not see the lasers also hitting you.

What do you have in there to pop a 94 alpha?

#11 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

I'm guessing dual gauss Jager/DW/phract. It could even be the rarely-seen troll-built 3-Gauss Ilya. It's a glass cannon, but WOW it hurts when it hits.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 June 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

I'm guessing something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...61054faea76a344

#12 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 23 June 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

I'm guessing something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...61054faea76a344

This seems much more viable, and is essentially a 94 firepower rating. Plus it avoids Ghost Heat, radically improves armor distribution, and give meaningful cGauss ammo.

#13 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 June 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

I run this: DWF-PRIME

Redistribute armor to your taste. I run 75/115/75.

The idea is you have two attacks. Alpha and cool down. Alpha is pretty self explanatory. The cool down you use just the guass and ER LLs (still about 50 damage).

Then the plan is to open with an alpha, fire two cool down shots, and then alpha again. Rinse & repeat.

You can also run it on the DWF-B and give up a DHS for another ton of ammo and a lower arm actuator with the use of the DWF-A's right arm.

Edited by Rouken, 23 June 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#14 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostRouken, on 23 June 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

I run this: DWF-PRIME

Redistribute armor to your taste. I run 75/115/75.

The idea is you have two attacks. Alpha and cool down. Alpha is pretty self explanatory. The cool down you use just the guass and ER LLs (still about 50 damage).

Then the plan is to open with an alpha, fire two cool down shots, and then alpha again. Rinse & repeat.

You can also run it on the DWF-B and give up a DHS for another ton of ammo and a lower arm actuator with the use of the DWF-A's right arm.

Wait, that's what I'm running (my GRs are in STs though).... Holy, I didn't notice that it's a 94 max damage.

#15 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Im geussng you died shortly after and t said "destroyed by gauss rifle" which is misleading because it doesnt say how many hit you. I would bet it was 2 gauss boats, or a duall gass duall ppc Dire Wolf. Or if you're me, it could have had 3ERPPC and 2 gauss.

#16 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 June 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

Wait, that's what I'm running (my GRs are in STs though).... Holy, I didn't notice that it's a 94 max damage.

Yeah, I like the Prime's right torso for the turn increase. I can not really say I have noticed it but on paper it sounds good. Also there have been a few situations where shooting up or down has been very advantageous.

#17 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostRouken, on 23 June 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

Yeah, I like the Prime's right torso for the turn increase. I can not really say I have noticed it but on paper it sounds good. Also there have been a few situations where shooting up or down has been very advantageous.

I put them in the torsos so that if I lost arms I'm not weaponless. I would rather have the Prime STs though for that mobility.

#18 Dano_man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 23 June 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

This seems much more viable, and is essentially a 94 firepower rating. Plus it avoids Ghost Heat, radically improves armor distribution, and give meaningful cGauss ammo.

Someone may have already commented on this, but you can't fire a Gauss rifle with LRM ammo...just saying

#19 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

I have never lost an arm without also losing the side attached to it. The DW's arms do not soak very well. Perhaps if you aimed up while twisting you could defend against people still trying to hit the nose. At any rate, with everyone going for the CT and max armor on the arms I think they are safe enough.

View PostAH Albatross, on 23 June 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

Someone may have already commented on this, but you can't fire a Gauss rifle with LRM ammo...just saying

I assume they put the LRM ammo in to represent the gauss ammo instead of hunting down the guass ammo or clicking the "only weapons used" box. 1 ton of ammo is still 1 ton so it works.

#20 Dano_man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostAH Albatross, on 23 June 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

View PostRouken, on 23 June 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

I have never lost an arm without also losing the side attached to it. The DW's arms do not soak very well. Perhaps if you aimed up while twisting you could defend against people still trying to hit the nose. At any rate, with everyone going for the CT and max armor on the arms I think they are safe enough.

I assume they put the LRM ammo in to represent the gauss ammo instead of hunting down the guass ammo or clicking the "only weapons used" box. 1 ton of ammo is still 1 ton so it works.

Maybe, but I read it differently because of his comment " and give meaningful cGauss ammo." 1 ton is ammo, but with dual gauss that is like 7 shots apiece not very meaningful.

Edited by AH Albatross, 23 June 2014 - 09:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users