Weapon Damage Thought.

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want Weapon damage scaled back? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Tweek Damage down?

1. Yes. (10 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

2. No (6 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Other (Please explain why) (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Balancing weapons is not easy, the more weapons you add to the pot, the more complicated it becomes, I am not saying that I will be right, but I am wondering if my idea has any merit outside of my own mind. So I wish to share with you, my fellow Mechwarriors what I have rattling around my noggin, let us see if we can come up with a way to balance the weapon systems, and perhaps even get PGI to listen.

Point 1: Use existing fire rates for the weapons.
Point 2: Create profiles to bring weapons into doing their damage value in a 10 second period.
Point 3: Adjust damage and heat values on weapons to reflect the new data.
Point 4: Remove the increased heat threshold, but keep Heatsinks as they are.
Point 5: Reduce armor, the reason we doubled it in closed beta was Mechs were dieing too quickly.

Let us start with the most famous Autocannon as our first example.

The AC/20 is a weapon which deals 20 damage, hence the name. The damage and heat it generates is done over a 10 second period in its source materiel, so lets try to bring this into a real-time environment.

In MWO the AC/20 has a 4 second cool down and generates 6 heat, so that will give us 50 damage and 15 heat in a 10 second period, or just a flat 60 damage and 18 heat in 12 seconds. In the source materiel, the AC/20 'fires' once during a 10 second period, generating 7 heat, while dealing 20 damage.

So if the AC/20 fires every 4 seconds in MWO, and we don't want to play with the reload time, why not just reduce its damage a little, decrease the heat, and increase the ammo count?

So I propose that we make the AC/20 deal 8 damage per shot, and generate 2.8 heat per shot, while increasing its ammo per ton to 13 round. This would translate to 20 damage and 7 heat over 10 seconds.

The following chart below presents what I was thinking of for every weapon, excluding Flamers and Machine Guns for the moment.

Posted Image

I appreciate your input and thoughts.

Edited by Lordred, 23 June 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#2 Part Time

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

I'll allow it.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

So from this..

I do have a question here.

Does this mean standard TT threshold of 30, where heatsinks only adjust cooling rate over said ten second period (in 1 second slices obviously)? You can generate up to 30 heat in either a single strike or over time, once you hit 30 you shutdown. At shutdown, you cannot reboot until down to 14 heat.

Does this mean the TT advanced rule of heatsink taxing, where 30 threshold is the absolute maximum to cause shutdown, but the ratings of your heatsinks (+5, but less than thirty) is how much you can safely reach without stressing the heatsinks to the point of melting them? If you do reach the 30 threshold, you can't reboot until down to 14 heat.

Or does this mean strip the 30 base from the rising heatsink equation, where PGI's misinterpretation of x heatsinks gives you this much magical buffer in addition to cooling? (Which means 10 SHS have 10 threshold, 10 DHS have 20 threshold, 15 DHS with the 5*1.4s would be 27 threshold.)
---------------------

Point 5: Reduce armor, the reason we doubled it in closed beta was Mechs were dieing too quickly.

I'm assuming along with structure health, with a reduction back to TT values? (Atlas, 304 stock, 307 max. Hunchback 160 stock, 169 max, etc.)

Looks like most mechs would live quite a bit longer, but the Gauss Rifle (as it should be) would be king (and incredibly vulnerable).

#4 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 June 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

So from this..

I do have a question here.
Spoiler

That is a good question, there is no 'right' answer, however if we stayed with the source material, then it would be 30 heat reached would be the shutdown goal, we can even move this flagpole up or down for balance reasons.

View PostKoniving, on 23 June 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

I'm assuming along with structure health, with a reduction back to TT values? (Atlas, 304 stock, 307 max. Hunchback 160 stock, 169 max, etc.)

Looks like most mechs would live quite a bit longer, but the Gauss Rifle (as it should be) would be king (and incredibly vulnerable).

As a yardstick yes, but this would require testing, the only way to see how it would work is to try it.

#5 Groutknoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

Would gauss keep it's current charge up? or change back to a cooldown weapon?

The weapon/armor changes would reduce the high alpha pin-point damage but skilled players would still be able to destroy mechs quickly. It should take the skilled players the same number of shots to destroy a location, less skilled would take more shots due to not being able to hit the same location consistently.

So use Kon's proposed heatsink change with this?
Also how would Kon's max armor proposal work with armor being halved?

#6 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostGroutknoll, on 24 June 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Would gauss keep it's current charge up? or change back to a cooldown weapon?

I don't think it would need that anymore with damage normalized over 10 seconds.

The weapon/armor changes would reduce the high alpha pin-point damage but skilled players would still be able to destroy mechs quickly. It should take the skilled players the same number of shots to destroy a location, less skilled would take more shots due to not being able to hit the same location consistently.

So use Kon's proposed heatsink change with this?

I'd like to expand a bit here if I may.

Heatsinks were only supposed to modify dissipation over 10 seconds. So 28 SHS could sink 28 heat over 10 seconds. So for example, a stock AWS-8Q would be able to fire three PPCs one 10 second turn and generate an extra 2 heat.

Why that matters is that extra heat would give penalties (there's even a Heat Scale table that goes up to 50 heat I've seen, I can look for it later):
Spoiler

So if the Awesome is stationary and has line of sight on a target, it can fire its three PPCs for a while before having to worry about damage to the mech and mech warrior. A common pattern was 3-2-3 for example.

So as Lordred showed, if weapon damage was properly normalized, weapons would have much lower DPS and would be suited more to original armor values.

Since, I seemed to have a similar line of thinking, I thought I'd share some of what I've been looking over recently:
Spoiler

Also how would Kon's max armor proposal work with armor being halved?

There might be some tweaking needed with weapons normalized, such as simply having different armor maxes for different chassis, so that a Thunderbolt would have more armor than a Jager, and an Awesome would carry more than a Victor, but the idea can certainly still work.

#7 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:05 AM

Thanks Preator, the reason I came up with the numbers I did would be to keep the amount of things PGI would need to change to a minimum, as it stands they would only need to tweak heat and damage values, nothing else.

Though I would be completely for a full re-write of firing times, however I think your tables rely on the lasers have a pulse fire rather then a burn time? My table incorporates the current recharge and duration time for all weapons, and to answer a question from earlier, this also includes the Gauss rifle charge up time as well. If we remove the charge time, we would also need to lower its damage a little more.

#8 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

As usually i like this approach.

Afaik you did use the "theoretical" damage of the BattleTech weapons. But i would like to see a system that uses the modified damage values with consideration of the hit probability at ranges. So long range (heavy weapons) deal more damage in comparison with the short range weapons.

http://www.heavymeta...com/bv_calc.htm
for example with the MLAS vs LLAS
  • weapon type energy
  • damage per shot 5
  • scroll down till you see: The total of all the average damages is 30.833
  • damage per shot 8
  • short range 5
  • medium range 10
  • long range 15
  • scroll down till you see: The total of all the average damages is 82.222
Because its fitting - keep the damage in 10sec for the large laser at 8.2 dmg but reduce the base damage for the MLAS to 3.1

You can easily take those calculations into your spreadsheet and calculate proper values (and yes the value IS - ERPPC would be 15.2 and for the classical PPC 11.7 (with min range in the calculation, but you don't need a min range in game afterwards)

#9 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Anyone else have any constructive input?

#10 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Small bump to see if anyone has anything more to add. Then dooming to be buried.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users