Understanding The "role" Of The Assault Mech.

BattleMechs Balance Gameplay

82 replies to this topic

#81 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostPrezimonto, on 03 July 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

It doesn't happen a lot, but in PUG matches it can be surprising what one lance with a DDC and some communication can manage.

also I edited last post with some thoughts on FF.

I saw. Not bad I dead. Mine was always simpler, not necessarily better. IS FF gave you 1.12 better protection, just like before, but if your mech could carry 100 armor on the CT before, now it could max out at 112. With Clans it became a simple 1.2. And I always felt FF should be less crits than endo, since 1) it's on the exterior and 2) It's always a flat inferior choice, even with your or mine ideas (except possible the damage reduction) than Endo, when it comes down to picking one or the other.

#82 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Damage reduction is an idea I'm not greatly keen on, but it's something I know they can do with the code (missile bay doors) and it wouldn't mess with any previous mech builds.

I agree the simplest would be what you suggest, but it's also still not worth a lot (though for fewer crit slots it's not bad). What I'd like is a real choice between offense and defense in the upgrades, and I think10% more armor spread all over still doesn't really compare to the tonnage you free up from endo steel.

Which is why my favorite solution is the hybrid: more armor + free space = the total tonnage endo gives you AND the option to use that freed space on even more armor. You'd not be able to remove some armor (tonnage always tied up in the upgrade) but you'd get quite a bit more overall defense.

#83 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

I 100% agree, good write up.

Last night I was in a solo Q match and I was in a Direwolf on Caustic Valley. I spawned on the side that has the buildings on it and in the area that's way far out from the other 2 spawn points. It took me so long to try to get to where my team was that I was taking fire and had to back behind a hill. But to my total AMAZEMENT, someone took charge and directed a light mech with ECM came over to help cover me so I could cross the open area. Without that I'd have been left to die alone, but instead I ended up contributing the most damage and kills. The team saw me as an asset that needed protection. It's counter intuitive to think the 100 tonner is MORE vulnerable than the 35 tonner, but in that situation and in many situations that's the case. I wish more people understood that, because it's so unforgiving as an assault mech if your team doesn't.

The reason an isolated and exposed assault mech is a complete disaster for the pilot and the team isn't just because they are slow and big, but also because they are (or should be) a priority target.

Edited by DevilJade, 03 July 2014 - 12:54 PM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users