49 replies to this topic

#21 Puresin

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

to quote Dennis Leary from his stand up routine "Lock'n'Load"

Pete's brew, Pete's wicked brew, pete's wicked summer brew, who the **** is pete F*** pete!

insert Paul's name.

Who the **** is Paul?

#22 Puresin

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:04 AM

And bishop. you're not grasping the point. I hope you've been in the army or something dude. but I am not able to jump and fire TWO shotguns. one in each hand. without dire consequences, i.e. there would be an almost zero chance of hitting what i aimed at. not to mention the recoil from the TWO shotguns simultaneously fired would "rip" themselves out of my hand. if you jump you have zero resistance to firing as well except gravity and forward momentum. which by the way a mech poptarting doesn't usually have forward momentum. and if you think otherwise please find appropriate proof and post here. example someone jumping into the air, firing TWO shotguns simultaneously AND hitting target (i don't care if they score or not) AND not having something drastic happen.

Oh and i do have proof of the "ripping" from my hand. I am trying to get it from, my brother in law but may take some time. But i have a video of a 30-.06 being fired by me while sitting at a picnic table. the recoil literally pushes the gun to a 45 degree angle. (p.s. i put 4 out of 6 shots through the same hole in the bullseye, not military sniper but good enough to go hunting.) now multiply the power from that shot by a few times to simulate a shotgun, then put it in one hand. and add another. get the point. it ain't urban legend unless the guns you are firing have 0 recoil. dude i've done 1st year engineering and even i know you're wrong at this point.

#23 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:09 AM

I hate the flashing , its like i turned on heat vision on terra when the lrms start hitting.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 02 July 2014 - 03:10 AM.

#24 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 July 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Because cake is delicious.

(Hey you simply said first make a decent statement.....you never stipulated the statement had to be in regards to your OP. And Cake IS delicious.)

:D

except carrot cake...that is disgusting

#25 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:48 AM

Boils down to PGI thinking will this make money?

If we implement real physics and have mechs tumbling and the COD kiddies leaving in droves due to frustration how much money will we loose?

Next please!

#26 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 July 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

as soon as I find an 80 ton person to fire that gun, I will.

But soldiers in combat actually do lay down suppressive fire while running, and yes even jumping and hopping as they make there way to cover. Have yet to see a rifle cause the guy to do a backflip....but the accuracy did suck.

Soldiers in combat shouldn't be laying down suppression fire while moving....their stationary buddies should be laying down suppresion fire while they are moving.

and I can really only speak of the US Army, but an M-16/M-4 has very little recoil (probably akin to a mech firing an AC-2) now as the weapons used increase in calibur, the recoil increases dramatically (an M-60 had significantly more recoil than an M-16, an M-2 .50 cal MG has SIGNIFICANTLY more recoil than an M-60..and weighs too much to be able to run and fire anyway) a 155mm howitzer (equivalent to an AC-20?) rocks the whole M109A6 Paladin..at 30 tons...the 105mm (AC-10? AC-15?) main gun on an Abrams tank rocks the tank when fired, and the Abrams weighs 70 tons

#27 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

Having served in the first gulf war I will say being near an Abrams when it fires the main gun is a UNIQUE sensation in ones internal organs.

Watching a A10 warthog do a fire run and slow down just from the force of the gun was mind blowing.

And having a Specter on station giving us cover was the icing on the cake.

#28 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:16 AM

because this game is NOT TT, it won't ever be TT, so you all need to stop comparing it to TT. Stop hoping it will be like TT...it won't.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

View PostPuresin, on 01 July 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

My one question is this, so atleast give a decent reply before you troll the hell outta me.

I play the TT version of battletech. Why is it that a mech can jump and fire multiple heavy weapons (2x AC10's or higher, dual gauss dual ppc's etc etc) (ignore ****** grammar for the moment) nbut yet when a bunch of missiles hit a mech it shakes the **** out of them so that you have to work to aim?

I mean in the TT version they'd roll for falling over which is reasonable.

I don't disagree with missiles shaking the **** out of you. I do disagree with poptarting without consequence.

ok remeber first make a decent statement, then you can troll the **** outta me.

**** i forgot I can't swear

I think you are looking for this
https://www.mwtactics.com/

#30 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

View PostSlepnir, on 01 July 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Perhaps because in TT you dont actually shoot untill after you land aside from flare in the novels JJ are there to get over terrain.

I thought they were there to turn mechs into terrain?

#31 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

Well I'm sure given the imaginary ultra advanced technology I am 200% sure accurate weapons convergence would be possible in a moving battlemech. We already have the ability for accurate, recoilless, mobile ballistics.

http://www.calguns.n...p/t-302066.html

Energy weapons would be largely recoilless as well. I couldn't imagine the physical kick back of focusing beams of energy or a particle accelerator to be anywhere close to that of ballistics.

Long story short, reality, plus fictional space magic makes it happen :D

#32 NoClass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

Some of you guys need to go play the unreal games. That **** wasn't realistic but goddamnit if fighting in the Z axis isn't a hell of a lot of fun. This isn't a simulator no matter how much whool you can pull over your eyes guys. At best, the table top game should be inspiration, context and aesthetics. There's no reason an arcade FPS needs to bork itself with ridiculous sim elements or limit itself to the restrictions, rules and mechanics of a completely different type of game.

I swear to God this entire franchise is held back by nostalgia and having to pander to it.

Edited by VigilanceHawkwind, 02 July 2014 - 06:59 AM.

#33 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostPuresin, on 01 July 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

My one question is this, so atleast give a decent reply before you troll the hell outta me.

I play the TT version of battletech. Why is it that a mech can jump and fire multiple heavy weapons (2x AC10's or higher, dual gauss dual ppc's etc etc) (ignore ****** grammar for the moment) nbut yet when a bunch of missiles hit a mech it shakes the **** out of them so that you have to work to aim?

I mean in the TT version they'd roll for falling over which is reasonable.

I don't disagree with missiles shaking the **** out of you. I do disagree with poptarting without consequence.

The reason that you can jump in the air and fire without consequence of recoil is the same reason that a mech can store ammo in its legs and still have it totally accessible.... Magic!

Really though, a jump sniper only gets one shot off when in the air. Recoil wouldn't affect the shot. It could throw a mech off balance in theory, but with advanced gyros and the such, they are like cats that always land on their feet :D

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 02 July 2014 - 08:03 AM.

#34 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 02 July 2014 - 03:49 AM, said:

the 105mm (AC-10? AC-15?) main gun on an Abrams tank rocks the tank when fired, and the Abrams weighs 70 tons

The M256 120mm gun on the M1A1 would be* an AC/1.3 or AC/3, depending on if you count the full shell weight or just the projectile**.

The fastest-firing MBT gun in the world, the French CN120, would be an AC/1.6 or AC/3.6, again depending on how you count.

* The M256 isn't an autocannon. The autocannon was a development from the Rifle family of weapons, which in turn were developments from modern-day MBT guns like the M256.
** The AC classification is kilograms of ammo fired per second, as per Era Report 3052, page 98.

#35 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

View Poststjobe, on 02 July 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

The M256 120mm gun on the M1A1 would be* an AC/1.3 or AC/3, depending on if you count the full shell weight or just the projectile**.

The fastest-firing MBT gun in the world, the French CN120, would be an AC/1.6 or AC/3.6, again depending on how you count.

* The M256 isn't an autocannon. The autocannon was a development from the Rifle family of weapons, which in turn were developments from modern-day MBT guns like the M256.
** The AC classification is kilograms of ammo fired per second, as per Era Report 3052, page 98.

yeah...I have no clue about the real world equivalents of BT AC weapons, so I was just guessing

(but using the kg to AC conversion...a 95 lb 155mm howitzer round would be about an AC-43...so PGI..buff arty strikes to 43 damage/shell :D lol)

Edited by Bulletsponge0, 02 July 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#36 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

So that is what gets you... Not how said mechs can land without sinking down halfway to their calf.. Ir how they can walk over this ice or how they can walk in to riverbeds and seas without getting stuck by suction.

It is simple... We are talking sci-fi here with the weight on fiction. But if you need to have a logic reason just imagine that half of the weight of your balistic weapons are made up by mount and recoil damperners... Congrats.. problem solved.

#37 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

View PostVigilanceHawkwind, on 02 July 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

Some of you guys need to go play the unreal games. That **** wasn't realistic but goddamnit if fighting in the Z axis isn't a hell of a lot of fun. This isn't a simulator no matter how much whool you can pull over your eyes guys. At best, the table top game should be inspiration, context and aesthetics. There's no reason an arcade FPS needs to bork itself with ridiculous sim elements or limit itself to the restrictions, rules and mechanics of a completely different type of game.

I swear to God this entire franchise is held back by nostalgia and having to pander to it.

That'd be all well and good if this game wasn't sold to the founders as a "simulation experience" or a "thinking mans shooter".If they had just said this is going to be an "arcade experience" or "CoD in robots"...then I would have just ignored it and kept my money.

#38 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

Clan LRM impulse is too high.

AC20 impulse is too low.

/thread

#39 NoClass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

View PostAlexandrix, on 02 July 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

That'd be all well and good if this game wasn't sold to the founders as a "simulation experience" or a "thinking mans shooter".If they had just said this is going to be an "arcade experience" or "CoD in robots"...then I would have just ignored it and kept my money.

You got boned. That's life. It's time to accept reality no? I mean it's been what like 2 years? At what point has the product itself made advances towards simulation? Cut your losses man. Founders aren't investors and you were all delivered exactly what you paid for (mechs, MC, closed beta access).

Edited by VigilanceHawkwind, 02 July 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#40 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 02 July 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

(but using the kg to AC conversion...a 95 lb 155mm howitzer round would be about an AC-43...so PGI..buff arty strikes to 43 damage/shell :D lol)

Totally off-topic now, but 2 things:
1. A Howitzer is not an autocannon.
2. With a rate of fire of 10 rounds per minute, had it been an autocannon it would have been an AC/7. With a 4 rpm rate of fire, it'd be an AC/2.88.

Edited by stjobe, 02 July 2014 - 08:44 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users