Fall Damage

162 replies to this topic

#61 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:15 AM

Its just a backward attempt to fix the jump sniping meta at the elite level instead of fixing the real problem.

#62 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 02 July 2014 - 01:15 AM, said:

Its just a backward attempt to fix the jump sniping meta at the elite level instead of fixing the real problem.

Or adding fall damage again

#63 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:21 AM

View PostDymlos2003, on 01 July 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

With this being added next patch there is going to be a huge wave of threads saying that it is broken. It's not. For once people have to watch where they pilot especially light pilots. Legs will be hurting. Do You expect an out cry? You guys better start practicing feathering your falls. It's going to be an interesting patch day.

I hate it when people are talking about something that is not yet released and extensively tested. PGI could have goofed it up just like the Clan ERPPC.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 July 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#64 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 02 July 2014 - 01:15 AM, said:

Well i hope they make it 50% worse to timbers :D

#65 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 July 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

I hate it when people are talking about something that is not yet released and extensively tested. PGI could have goofed it up just like the Clan ERPPC.

Which is even more useless then Pulse Lasers.

#66 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostReitrix, on 02 July 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

Yes, i think a 50 tonne steel chassis to suffer damage when dropped from 5 meters with no way to cushion that fall is perfectly logical.
Your'e comparing apples to watermelons. And what happens when you drop either one from a bench? Same distance ... But one is going to shatter and the other will suffer a bruise. For exactly the same reason you can jump from a 1 story roof and only suffer discomfort while a 50 ton war machine in humanoid form would suffer a reasonable level of stress damage.

The mechs do cushion their falls, buddy. They flex their knees and bend at the waist.

They also aren't made out of steel.

Did you know that because of the work by John Stapp, aircraft designs which were previously thought good enough for crash survivability at 18 g's were revised to endure 32 g's of acceleration in a crash.

Mech that falls 5 meters, and flexes its knees for even 50 centimeters of shock absorbance, would experience 2.5 g's.

You're telling me modern aircraft can endure sustained 9 g's of turn, and are built to help a pilot survive a 32 g crash, but Battlemechs cannot withstand 2.5 g's of acceleration without damage.

OK, it's good to know I'm talking to some expert Battlemech engineers and technicians here.

You know what, I'm tired of debating with people who don't even have high school level understanding of math and physics.

#67 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

I guess everyone is going to have to be more careful where there going, if you step off a high place you could have some serious problems. tried a high jump off a cliff on Alpine in the PTS, used all my fuel so I was a good 30 meters over the top, and had some prior leg damage, when my Spider hit the ground it just instantly blew up, weee that's was fun!

#68 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Legs will be the primary target on all mechs, period.

#69 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

Okay, I'm prepared.

Posted Image

#70 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

There will be a lot of whining and hyperbole.

Edited by Dymlos2003, 02 July 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#71 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Standing by for rage and QQ...........

#72 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

I think we need to start a record fall in meters per second thread; I know I will be looking to reach the highest speed possible in the heaviest mech possible (Any ideas where I can get the biggest drop; would it be that cliff on the backend of the mtn on Alpine - considering no JJ or should I have as many JJ's as possible on a Victor?).... hrm. Who will win the speed contest?

#73 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

LOL! :(

#74 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Let the whine of change BEGIN!

#75 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'll probably do some math along the way... but pretty much math will prove (and in-game playing) that Lights get the short end of the stick.

Will post something about it soon™.

#76 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 02 July 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

I'll probably do some math along the way... but pretty much math will prove (and in-game playing) that Lights get the short end of the stick.

Will post something about it soon™.

Ok. Don't really care

#77 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostYueFei, on 02 July 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

The mechs do cushion their falls, buddy. They flex their knees and bend at the waist.

They also aren't made out of steel.

Did you know that because of the work by John Stapp, aircraft designs which were previously thought good enough for crash survivability at 18 g's were revised to endure 32 g's of acceleration in a crash.

Mech that falls 5 meters, and flexes its knees for even 50 centimeters of shock absorbance, would experience 2.5 g's.

You're telling me modern aircraft can endure sustained 9 g's of turn, and are built to help a pilot survive a 32 g crash, but Battlemechs cannot withstand 2.5 g's of acceleration without damage.

The planes are made so the pilot can survive those crashes, not the airplane. If you used a crane to lift your car 5 meters in the air and then dropped it like a bad habit, it would probably not drive very nicely anymore, and it would possibly not drive anymore at all.

It's a make believe fix for make believe robots that is just beleivable enough to fly, no need to break out a slide ruler here- besides, it's either this or a more firm nerf to JJets making it so that they cannot be stripped off of mechs for bigger guns.

Edited by Pygar, 02 July 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#78 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Well this pretty much invalidates all non jj light mechs... so the Jenner, and Firestarter are even more no brainer than they already were.

This also screws over pretty much everyone else not jetting about already.
I just took some demo falls off of emergency escape routes on alpine in a heavy. It's entirely possible to take 50 percent armor damage to your fully armored legs in a Heavy.

If you have JJ? Those falls aren't a problem since you can feather the landing and kill the velocity coming down.
If you don't have JJ?

I hope you have armor son.

Once again PGI takes a swing at jump snipers and hits ground pounders right in the face instead.

Further Test result.
It's entirely possible to be falling at near max falling speed with a JJ equipped mech on alpine, and use the fall velocity to your full advantage by increasing your escape speed and then within the last two seconds of the fall to entirely mitigate ALL falling damage with JJ feathering. If your opponent chases you down the cliff, and he doesn't have JJ he's going to take a **** ton of leg damage.

Meaning JJ just got even BETTER.

Edited by Mavairo, 02 July 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#79 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostMavairo, on 02 July 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Well this pretty much invalidates all non jj light mechs... so the Jenner, and Firestarter are even more no brainer than they already were.

This also screws over pretty much everyone else not jetting about already.
I just took some demo falls off of emergency escape routes on alpine in a heavy. It's entirely possible to take 50 percent armor damage to your fully armored legs in a Heavy.

If you have JJ? Those falls aren't a problem since you can feather the landing and kill the velocity coming down.
If you don't have JJ?

I hope you have armor son.

Once again PGI takes a swing at jump snipers and hits ground pounders right in the face instead.

You mean they added fall damage.

#80 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 02 July 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

You mean they added fall damage.

They already had falling damage in this game.
The problem is, this does nothing to nerf pop tarts.
Which is pretty clearly what they were aiming for if you read the patch notes.
It nerfs the ground game players HARD. While the JJ crowd, can largely mitigate the damage, by proper feathering. Something that any even half decent player is going to be doing anyway on the descent from any significant height.

There is already a map in this game that punishes ground pounders so heavily that they should question if they should ever field those mechs again (Canyons) for having such poor hill scaling and poor ramp locations, ground pounders didn't need this kick in the crotch. Especially when it wasn't even intended from them.

Edited by Mavairo, 02 July 2014 - 12:18 PM.

56 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 56 guests, 0 anonymous users