#81 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostMavairo, on 02 July 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

They already had falling damage in this game.
The problem is, this does nothing to nerf pop tarts.
Which is pretty clearly what they were aiming for if you read the patch notes.
It nerfs the ground game players HARD. While the JJ crowd, can largely mitigate the damage, by proper feathering. Something that any even half decent player is going to be doing anyway on the descent from any significant height.

There is already a map in this game that punishes ground pounders so heavily that they should question if they should ever field those mechs again (Canyons) for having such poor hill scaling and poor ramp locations, ground pounders didn't need this kick in the crotch. Especially when it wasn't even intended from them.

They didn't have fall damage in the game. I remember when it was and it was more punishing than this. They just re-implemented it from way back with a better system.

#82 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 02 July 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

They didn't have fall damage in the game. I remember when it was and it was more punishing than this. They just re-implemented it from way back with a better system.

You must not have very high SA man.
They never completely removed falling damage.
There were more than a few places in my non JJ mechs that I knew better than to just simply fall down unless I wanted to take some leg damage. Sure it was decreased from beta. But it was still there.

But for non lights, it's never been this substantial, do you think it's a good thing that they just kicked the ground based mechs in the crotch? Again? (the release of Canyons was the last time before this one)
Why? JJ mechs are already a no brainer. This just sealed the deal entirely.

Edited by Mavairo, 02 July 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#83 Winterfeld

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

After I tested the new "fall damage" on my mechs, one of each class, I immediately spend the 15k GXP and the 6 mill for the shock absorbing modul.

The test results without it where unexceptable. For example, Spider without the SAM, 4 max high jumps with only 3 jjs, it took 17% damage to the legs.

My Stalker and all my other mechs with only 2 slots will suffer, because they are much more importent moduls then that one.

#84 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostPygar, on 02 July 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

The planes are made so the pilot can survive those crashes, not the airplane. If you used a crane to lift your car 5 meters in the air and then dropped it like a bad habit, it would probably not drive very nicely anymore, and it would possibly not drive anymore at all.

It's a make believe fix for make believe robots that is just beleivable enough to fly, no need to break out a slide ruler here- besides, it's either this or a more firm nerf to JJets making it so that they cannot be stripped off of mechs for bigger guns.

The planes also pull 9 g's sustained with no issue.

Top Gear dropped a Toyota Hilux in a building demolition from 73 meters. It survived and drove away.

A mech can't handle 2.5 g's of shock without hurting itself now?

Fine, toss realism aside for a moment. Is it aesthetically sensible for a drop that's less than waist-height to hurt a mech?

This nerf hurts the non-JJ mechs more than the JJ-mechs, because they can't even feather their falls.

#85 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 01 July 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

Well the summorer is going to be more worthless. It already take leg damage worse than any mech i have owned. Seeing its a "heavy" its going to be high on the leg dmg scale.

I need to shadow you ingame sometime..... I never get fall damage with that mech and use the JJs like a madman

#86 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostCreovex, on 02 July 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

I need to shadow you ingame sometime..... I never get fall damage with that mech and use the JJs like a madman

It's because they suck at piloting or too used to their ways to adapt.

#87 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 639 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

With the new fall damage lights and mediums that use JJs are becoming not viable. You don't have that many HP's to start with, now you will lose you legs every match. Great if you are a heavy or an assault, but if the only thing that makes the mech even viable is it's JJ- blackjack- it is now pretty much worthless, every time you go up to look you take 1-2% leg damage. I guess they want everybody back to camping and spewing LRMs.

I see the MM is showing 12% lights and 9% mediums....... what a bunch of crap.

WELL done PGI!!!!

#88 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostPapaspud, on 02 July 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

With the new fall damage lights and mediums that use JJs are becoming not viable. You don't have that many HP's to start with, now you will lose you legs every match. Great if you are a heavy or an assault, but if the only thing that makes the mech even viable is it's JJ- blackjack- it is now pretty much worthless, every time you go up to look you take 1-2% leg damage. I guess they want everybody back to camping and spewing LRMs.

I see the MM is showing 12% lights and 9% mediums....... what a bunch of crap.

WELL done PGI!!!!

Yeah if you suck a piloting.

#89 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

All I know is that it's hilarious. I've seen at least 10 poptarts kill themselves by crushing their legs. It's great.

#90 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

yup yup, jumping is going to be a risky thing. shooting a mech in the leg is going to cost you, and light mechs will literally be dropping like flies :)

#91 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

View PostYueFei, on 02 July 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

The planes also pull 9 g's sustained with no issue.

Top Gear dropped a Toyota Hilux in a building demolition from 73 meters. It survived and drove away.

A mech can't handle 2.5 g's of shock without hurting itself now?

Fine, toss realism aside for a moment. Is it aesthetically sensible for a drop that's less than waist-height to hurt a mech?

This nerf hurts the non-JJ mechs more than the JJ-mechs, because they can't even feather their falls.

Yeah, tbh I don't even care about the physics.... I don't like the idea of non-jump jet mechs suddenly getting a "nerf" unintentionally because PGI wants to do something to Jump Snipers, but doesn't want to do the easy fixes. (like just making Jump Jets a fixed item that cannot be stripped.)

View PostWillard Phule, on 02 July 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

All I know is that it's hilarious. I've seen at least 10 poptarts kill themselves by crushing their legs. It's great.

OK now we're talking...because "pop tarts" are the intended target here- while I think that Jump Sniping should be possible, the fact that 95% of "pop tart" builds skimp on Jets for bigger guns bothers me....nobody ever ever did that prior to MWO.

Edited by Pygar, 02 July 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#92 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Wait till you end up going down one of the mountains on Alpine in a non jump jet equipped mech that first time.
You'll never want to take a mech without jump jets ever again.
Mechs with JJ barring extreme emergency circumstances should NEVER be taking falling damage.
Everyone else? Well you're just screwed. If you can't pop, you can't break your falls!

Only a complete moron in a JJ mech will be affected by this change.
Everyone NOT in a JJ mech, just got a ton more escape routes completely denied to them, or flank routes for that matter

Edited by Mavairo, 02 July 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#93 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostPygar, on 02 July 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

OK now we're talking...because "pop tarts" are the intended target here- while I think that Jump Sniping should be possible, the fact that 95% of "pop tart" builds skimp on Jets for bigger guns bothers me....nobody ever ever did that prior to MWO.

I don't poptart but I always play jumpers....just for the mobility. I haven't had a problem yet, but then again, I always feather the jets anyway.

#94 vesarius6

• PipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 01 July 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

With this being added next patch there is going to be a huge wave of threads saying that it is broken. It's not. For once people have to watch where they pilot especially light pilots. Legs will be hurting. Do You expect an out cry?

You guys better start practicing feathering your falls. It's going to be an interesting patch day.

The problem with this nerf (lets call it what it is) is that it actually makes jumpjets even STRONGER and MORE REQUIRED then before. For a JJ nerf it's actually more of a no jj nerf.

#95 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

So I was testing fall damage in the testing grounds with my Ember, and then this happened.

Posted Image

HALP!

#96 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

#97 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

NON JJ mechs are going to hate canyons even more now than ever.
Which is impressive given how much of a **** pile that map was before this patch if you didn't have JJ.

#98 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostMavairo, on 02 July 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

NON JJ mechs are going to hate canyons even more now than ever.
Which is impressive given how much of a **** pile that map was before this patch if you didn't have JJ.

You're a very angry person. Canyon is an alright map. You just need to learn how to play it with the new mechanics.

Oh wait... I DONT LIKE CHANGE!

#99 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 02 July 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

You're a very angry person. Canyon is an alright map. You just need to learn how to play it with the new mechanics.

Oh wait... I DONT LIKE CHANGE!

You really don't play mechs without jump jets do you?

I won't have a lick of problem with this patch, if I bring out my jump jet mechs 24/7.
Feathering the landing is VERY easy to do, and is a skill I've had since day one thanks to my Armored Core days.

There is no feathering for having to move down the walls quickly on canyons in a non jj mech. you WILL take leg damage Period if you have to go down the ledges without the assistance of the ramps.

Edited by Mavairo, 02 July 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#100 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

With my lights (actually any fast mech) it's a nightmare, specially with those that do NOT jump, I'll simply run down a slope and take damage .... it's not cripling you know, but noticeably higher than ever before, the funny thing is my lights that jump don't have this problem. The idea behind the feature isn't bad but it certainly needs fine tuning now.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users