Fall Damage

162 replies to this topic

#141 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

I usually disagree with all the naysayers complaining about a change in the game dooming this or that. However, I just tested my Firestarter and the falling damage completely cripples light mechs.

I use JJs alot on all size mechs and consider myself pretty good at feathering my fall to prevent any damage, but despite my best efforts, it was impossible to always hit my landings and I found myself taking 2-3% damage quite often. Needless to say, it wasn't long till my legs were torn up and this was without taking any enemy fire. Add in the enemy fire and lights are screwed.

Also, this honestly isn't about skill because as I mention, I feel I am pretty good with JJs and have been practicing the feathering technique since day one, rather it is about something broken, at least for light mechs. Therefore for once I agree with the doom and gloom forecasts on this one.

#142 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 02 July 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

I usually disagree with all the naysayers complaining about a change in the game dooming this or that. However, I just tested my Firestarter and the falling damage completely cripples light mechs.

I use JJs alot on all size mechs and consider myself pretty good at feathering my fall to prevent any damage, but despite my best efforts, it was impossible to always hit my landings and I found myself taking 2-3% damage quite often. Needless to say, it wasn't long till my legs were torn up and this was without taking any enemy fire. Add in the enemy fire and lights are screwed.

Also, this honestly isn't about skill because as I mention, I feel I am pretty good with JJs and have been practicing the feathering technique since day one, rather it is about something broken, at least for light mechs. Therefore for once I agree with the doom and gloom forecasts on this one.

That can't be true. Russ said the following... /Sarcasm.

Seriously, patch after patch that directly or indirectly nerfs lights... I pretty much got used to it. With enough QQ(feedback) it will get fix somewhat..
Meanwhile.. What is new... Bleh.. :unsure:

Scalar falling damage
In essence, this feature means no longer can you let yourself fall however high your JJ take you and receive negligible fall damage to your legs. As the name implies this is scalar based on weight class and tonnage, so light 'mechs won’t notice much of a difference but the Heavies and of course Assault' mechs will notice a significant change. Your typical jump-sniper Heavy or assault is going to take leg damage that is going to add up fairly quickly unless they change their ways. Pilot’s will need to learn to cushion their landings with their JJ’s and that means saving some fuel for a landing. They can either achieve this by not jumping as high in the first place or perhaps spending more tons on JJ when building their 'mech. All of this should add up and have the desired impact on MWO, which is to lower the overall significant advantage JJ-capable 'mechs have in the game, at least not without more of a trade-off.

#143 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 02 July 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

This still cracks me up, and I've seen you post it like a dozen times week.

My favorite line?

Posted Image

I'm happy I could be of comedic assistance. :unsure:

Also, I'm currently considering making a new meme. Basically, it would be like the "No dad, no!" meme, but with the text changed. The "dad" would be Paul (with his face shopped into the pic), and the "son" would be one of the Pulse Lasers. The text would read "It's normalizing time!" and then "No Paul, no!"

I might get to it in a few days.

#144 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 July 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

I'm happy I could be of comedic assistance. :unsure:

Also, I'm currently considering making a new meme. Basically, it would be like the "No dad, no!" meme, but with the text changed. The "dad" would be Paul (with his face shopped into the pic), and the "son" would be one of the Pulse Lasers. The text would read "It's normalizing time!" and then "No Paul, no!"

I might get to it in a few days.

Sounds like a Power Rangers Promo...

I'm still trying to suggest that "Weekend @ Bernie's" pic though...

#145 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 02 July 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

Sounds like a Power Rangers Promo...

I'm still trying to suggest that "Weekend @ Bernie's" pic though...

Posted Image

I never saw the movie, so I don't really know what I would do with that pic. I don't really know of any jokes pertaining to it, so it would be hard to make fun of Paul using it.

#146 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 02 July 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Think of it this way: You've swapped your Warthog

For a compact car
Posted Image

#147 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

I will cry because I think the fall damage always been too much especially when using jetpack. Jetpack are already kind of useless in most maps and mech so I don't understand why fall damage is so high. Now you say that it's going to be even worts?

#148 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

I think it drops to 30 fps pretty quickly.. but then, I do not know how I feel about that. The amount of attention you have to devote to it does limit its use in combat, making JJs more of a positioning tool.

For non JJ mechs though, it can be a pain.

#149 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

about a dozen matches in a no JJ kitfox, no leg damage from running around or dropping off ledges. In fact I have only taken leg damage once in all those games from a long fall and it took me to yellow.

As far as I can tell these changes have zero impact on a non-jump mech. However If you can both jump, and are stupid, you can probably damage your legs. Just remember half that jj fuel is for the drop down, and you will be ok. Alternatively petition PGI for a consumable parachute module.

Edited by Agent 0 Fortune, 02 July 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#150 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 July 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Posted Image

I never saw the movie, so I don't really know what I would do with that pic. I don't really know of any jokes pertaining to it, so it would be hard to make fun of Paul using it.

Sorry, I was thinking of this pic:
http://christopherfo...angel_beach.jpg

#151 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

I'm fine with realistic fall damage but I thought lights were supposed to have an advantage and not take as much leg damage as assault mechs.

#152 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

Well... here's only one day's worth of analysis (quite a bit of drops).

While what's on the server is BETTER than what was on the PTS, some of the drop damage was kinda odd/superfluous at times where it didn't make any sense on a physics level. I've done my part on "feathering" the damage (done that from the beginning) and it's rather inconsistent to say the least.

The damage scaling is screwy... which oddly favoring Mediums more than Lights (it's less scalar as originally suggested, relative to weight classes). Of course... this is while running a Jenner virtually every match. While it didn't necessitate to use the Shock module, it was annoying enough that I did collect a death by "falling damage" from a short distance.

#153 Winterfeld

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

They should urgently change this fall damage. No damage when the mechs makes drops about his own hight. You are getting now damage from droping of small bumps in the map or sliding down hill/cliff sides. Thats ludicrous. I just destroyed my mech at "Testing Grounds" from fall damage with my spider.

#154 PeekaBoo I C Ju

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 421 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUnder your bed....BOO!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

I think there should be a cooldown between firing your weapons and jump jets as well...at least 1-2 seconds

#155 Galenit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:58 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 02 July 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

about a dozen matches in a no JJ kitfox, no leg damage from running around or dropping off ledges. In fact I have only taken leg damage once in all those games from a long fall and it took me to yellow.

As far as I can tell these changes have zero impact on a non-jump mech. However If you can both jump, and are stupid, you can probably damage your legs. Just remember half that jj fuel is for the drop down, and you will be ok. Alternatively petition PGI for a consumable parachute module.

How fast is your fox?

I have dont tested the changes now.

But what i can say is, for most lights 90kph was the magic number for getting leg damage or not pre patch.
If you went over that, you took damage to the legs from some hops or obstacles, if you slowed down, you took none.

Edited by Galenit, 03 July 2014 - 02:58 AM.

#156 Grifthin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:13 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 01 July 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

It does not. Small bumps = damage, back to the Open Beta days where Lights had massive accumulated leg damage from small rocks and bumps. It's actually worse in this instance and not exactly overstated. I had exposed leg internals by the time I got to the C4-D4 platform on Crimson Strait... that's incredible amounts of damage to lose all external armor BEFORE EVEN FIGHTING.

If anything, the shock absorbance module is MANDATORY for Lights AND NO OTHER CLASS. In fact, poptarting works just swell to minimal effect.

In essence, Lights get screwed, and poptarts are unaffected.

That's not the case though... as those numbers were examples and are not guaranteed to be the case.

How the hell did you strip your legs of ALL leg armor before getting to a platform on a relatively small map. I call shenanigans.

#157 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:24 AM

My my my...

Look at what they did to collision damage with JJs..
Good job PGI !! Utter BS !

#158 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

View PostShinVector, on 03 July 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

My my my... Look at what they did to collision damage with JJs.. Good job PGI !! Utter BS !

WTF...lol.

Edited by El Bandito, 03 July 2014 - 04:27 AM.

#159 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

View PostGrifthin, on 03 July 2014 - 03:13 AM, said:

How the hell did you strip your legs of ALL leg armor before getting to a platform on a relatively small map. I call shenanigans.

That happened on the PTS. The current game's effect is far less, but still there.

#160 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

Not that this invalidates some findings, I did find that using the throttle decay as checked helped to avoid some pitfalls - letting up on the throttle seemed to slow me down faster than hitting X and allows you to ramp that speed up faster after transversing an obstacle.

67 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 67 guests, 0 anonymous users