Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

Metric system or bust.

#22 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

i think the formula for gravitation is +32 feet per second. so really its 32 feet the 1st second then 64 feet the second second....can't wait for ghost gravity. :(

#23 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Or they could make it so we could choose between metric and imperial systems.

#24 HiredGun

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationBeautiful British Columbia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 02 July 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

Especially when the distance on your crosshair is measured in meters. You should be able to look at the floor and think "Hmmm can I make that jump without significant damage?" Not have to take out your slide rule and abacus and do calculations to and from meters to feet in the middle of battle

Even if they hadn't screwed the pooch and done m/s this would still not work. m/s is a measurement of velocity not distance. To correctly figure this out you would need to know the gravity on the planet you are fighting on and multiply it by twice the distance that you will fall. Instead, PGI should have made this a direct relation to fall distance. Then there would be no calculation required to determine if and how much fall damage you would take if you jumped.

#25 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Faaaail....

#26 veri745

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostHiredGun, on 02 July 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Even if they hadn't screwed the pooch and done m/s this would still not work. m/s is a measurement of velocity not distance. To correctly figure this out you would need to know the gravity on the planet you are fighting on and multiply it by twice the distance that you will fall. Instead, PGI should have made this a direct relation to fall distance. Then there would be no calculation required to determine if and how much fall damage you would take if you jumped.

The distance you fall and the velocity at which you hit the ground is a directly linear function if you don't have jump jets(They don't calculate resistance moving through water, so no reason to think air resistance would matter)

Distance doesn't matter at all if you do have jump jets. Why would they base the damage on distance if you can slow yourself down? You make less sense than they do.

Edited by veri745, 02 July 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#27 Gigaflop

• PipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 30 posts
  • LocationKingston

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

metric please!

#28 DevilCrayon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 274 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the update Niko. But many of us north americans are used to the metric measurements in the game already and have mixed units actually makes it harder.

#29 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Mixed units of measurement are never a good thing ... please show it in m/s.

#30 Windsaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 426 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

Yes, please metric.

Computers these days have ample calculation resources to recalculate the feet from Cryengine on the fly without slowing down the gameplay considerably.
Indeed, programming that conversion into the game should have taken less time than typing an explanation for it.

It are things like these that make me wonder how PGI works...

#31 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

Minor note here: since everything else in the game (Mech speeds, distances) is in SI units (meters and kilometers) shouldn´t the fall speed follow the same logic?

Seems a bit schizophrenic the way it is now.

(Ideally we should be able to choose in the option screen the DISPLAYED units, that´s not that hard to code anyway)

#32 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostWindsaw, on 02 July 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Indeed, programming that conversion into the game should have taken less time than typing an explanation for it.

This is so true I had to quote it. Basically it would look like an added:

[...]*0.304[...]

So, as hard as four extra keystrokes. :) (I really needed a facepalm emote now)

#33 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

This and other silly little things (such as poor grammar) in the game content has no effect on gameplay but has a significant effect on the way I perceive PGI. It looks pretty bad, and makes me wonder about who they hire, when things like this come up. How does nobody notice this stuff before the content is released? Does it even get reviewed before it goes live?

Edited by Syncline, 02 July 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#34 Windsaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 426 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostDarkblood, on 02 July 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

This is so true I had to quote it. Basically it would look like an added:
[...]*0.304[...]

So, as hard as four extra keystrokes. :) (I really needed a facepalm emote now)
It's not as simple as that.
You also have to rewrite the entry in your localization file.
Like this:
re_unit_fallspeed=m/s

Also, there has to be the obligatory four-eyes review for all code changes.
For a change like this I would calculate an average of about a minute. Including calling the reviewer to your workspace and explaining the change it to him. One or two more minutes to demonstrate the results if needed.

Edited by Windsaw, 02 July 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#35 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hmm I have had much thought on this. And I come up with..... Who cares. Not I :)

#36 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 02 July 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

Hey all!

While I have mentioned that this is partly because of the high quantity of North American players on our servers, additionally it should be noted that the values presented are a result of taking the information directly from Cryengine, which is calculating distances in Feet rather than in Meters. We wanted to get this feature in ASAP with the introduction of Fall Damage, and sadly, did not have time this sprint to include a conversion factor to metric. We can perform a presented conversion down the line, in the meantime, we appreciate your understanding.

N.B., I have merged the two duplicate threads on this topic. Thanks!

That's USA players Niko, Mexican and Canadian players use the metric system. Those 3 nations, plus a little French island off of Canada makes up North America.

And that's a silly excuse, players have been used to metric in computer games for decades.

#37 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Not in m/s! In km/h! Like the Mech Moving Speed always was!

1.09728 x v [ ft/s ] = v [ km/h ] (So, about +10%.)

PS. KPH = km/h

Edited by Sky Hawk, 02 July 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#38 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

Bah, canadian football fields are 110 yards not meters, thats where they got ghost heat from , i bet.
Us American Americans would say 'my way or the highway.' :)

#39 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

View PostGorantir, on 02 July 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

ghost gravity

HA oh man, please don't tempt fate.

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 02 July 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

While I have mentioned that this is partly because of the high quantity of North American players on our servers...

Really? I'm not sure if this is dismissive of... well, the rest of the planet, or insulting to the NA players who can cope with the idea of a system outside of the Imperial.

#40 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

PGI is located in Canada... their version of English is slightly different than American... much like British "English" being a contrast to our own. Colour/Honour in other counties, Color/Honor in the USA... some Americans tend to forget how we formed our country and just mashed a bunch of different languages into one sticky ball of goo :)

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users