70 replies to this topic

#21 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Let's just overlook the part that the majority of those matches on the screen shots are within 400 elo of each other AND matched on mech weight classes.

But despite what looks like a well functioning, hugely complicated matchmaking system people need something to complain about, right?

#22 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostThe Ripper13, on 02 July 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Let's just overlook the part that the majority of those matches on the screen shots are within 400 elo of each other AND matched on mech weight classes.

But despite what looks like a well functioning, hugely complicated matchmaking system people need something to complain about, right?

Hadn't you heard? People are losing games. People ONLY lose games in MWO when the MM stacks the teams against them, so it can't possibly be working properly. Dolt.

#23 krash27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 582 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

LOL just got out of a game where a 10 man team was laughing their ass off they were thrown against all pugs. hehe
We lost very badly...

#24 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

View Postkrash27, on 02 July 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

LOL just got out of a game where a 10 man team was laughing their ass off they were thrown against all pugs. hehe
We lost very badly...

Log a ticket if that is happening. That would be a MM bug.

#25 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

We lost very badly...

Not against "all pugs." They were thrown up against various teams...not all PuGs. Sorry you guys lost.

If you WERE all solo drops, then post a ticket. That shouldn't happen.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 02 July 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#26 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

We lost very badly...

That shouldn't be possible. Were you solo dropping?

If so make sure you are reporting in feedback.

#27 ztac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

well last match was strange .. MM decided to put 8 JJ mechs in a match coincidence or 2 pre-made teams I wonder.. this new MM is looking worse than the old one , or someones already figured out how to exploit it maybe?

Either way really can't be bothered to play these matches , It just feels wrong when you see ECM , JJ and LRM heavy teams appear.

Yet our team had virtually none of the above, almost like our PUG was up against a 12 man pre-made or combination of pre-mades in the other team! Very unimpressed right now.

#28 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

View Postztac, on 02 July 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

well last match was strange .. MM decided to put 8 JJ mechs in a match coincidence or 2 pre-made teams I wonder.. this new MM is looking worse than the old one , or someones already figured out how to exploit it maybe?

Either way really can't be bothered to play these matches , It just feels wrong when you see ECM , JJ and LRM heavy teams appear.

Yet our team had virtually none of the above, almost like our PUG was up against a 12 man pre-made or combination of pre-mades in the other team! Very unimpressed right now.

the MM is not matching by loadout, you are purely speculating just because you lost a match...

#29 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

So...hows this different from before? It doesn't match you based on the weapons you take.

#30 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

View Poststjobe, on 02 July 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

In this next picture you can actually find a team with 2,565 Elo variance. That's just 235 short of the entire Elo range.

Maybe it's the sum of the difference of the respective Elos? So that means it's like a 1400 Elo team fighting a 1500 Elo team.

#31 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 02 July 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

So...hows this different from before? It doesn't match you based on the weapons you take.

It's different than before because at the very least both teams have the same number of mechs in each weight class.

#32 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostHeffay, on 02 July 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Maybe it's the sum of the difference of the respective Elos? So that means it's like a 1400 Elo team fighting a 1500 Elo team.

Variance means "difference." I'm guessing the screens we see of the "team ELO" are the averages, while the "variance" is the difference between the individual highest and lowest ELO in a match.

This is why matching via AVERAGES doesn't actually get you equally skilled players.

#33 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 02 July 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Most likely it was a small group saying they had 10 people to scare the other team.

Information warfare is alive and well, I see. :(

#34 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostBilbo, on 02 July 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

It's different than before because at the very least both teams have the same number of mechs in each weight class.

I meant "That happened before, too, so why are you complaining." Plus it's weight-class restricted, yeah. So, it should be EASIER for that person.

#35 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 02 July 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

Variance means "difference." I'm guessing the screens we see of the "team ELO" are the averages, while the "variance" is the difference between the individual highest and lowest ELO in a match.

This is why matching via AVERAGES doesn't actually get you equally skilled players.

I don't think it's the variance within the match. The two numbers represent the variance for each team. one team apparently has a very high Elo player and a tanked smurf account, while the other teams players are much closer in Elo. The averaged team Elos are shown and the are pretty close.

#36 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 02 July 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

I think you're right. The team Elo differences seem reasonably close according to the pics, but obviously they are pulling people from different buckets. It may be the safety valve in action.

I see some team Elo average in the 600-800 range. That really blows my mind!

edit: Or as mentioned a 2 man group with a pro & tanked account. 2500 difference is too high to be an accident. There is no way that just randomly happened.

Edited by Heffay, 02 July 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#37 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

I love when people say that the matchmaker sucks because the other team brought Jump Jets and ECM and good weapons. The matchmaker doesn't look at that stuff and it never has, so maybe try taking good equipment once in a while?

#38 Glucose

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

View Poststjobe, on 02 July 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

In this next picture you can actually find a team with 2,565 Elo variance. That's just 235 short of the entire Elo range.

You realize variance is the square of the deviation from the mean right?

#39 krash27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 582 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 02 July 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Oh ya I solo dropped. I also submitted a ticket. I refuse to start a thread about such issues as the tryhards will just flame me anyways.

Just posted here as a funny story. Balance is still out to lunch

View PostHeffay, on 02 July 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Most likely it was a small group saying they had 10 people to scare the other team.

Information warfare is alive and well, I see. :(

Ya I recognized a lot of the names, and I believe them. You assume a lot when you were not in the game. Or maybe you are just one of those tryhards, "nothing to see here, move a long"
At least the team I was up against realized the ridiculous nature of it and didn't try to justify it.

#40 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

View Postkrash27, on 02 July 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

Oh ya I solo dropped. I also submitted a ticket. I refuse to start a thread about such issues as the tryhards will just flame me anyways.

Just posted here as a funny story. Balance is still out to lunch

Ya I recognized a lot of the names, and I believe them. You assume a lot when you were not in the game. Or maybe you are just one of those tryhards, "nothing to see here, move a long"
At least the team I was up against realized the ridiculous nature of it and didn't try to justify it.

Should have taken a screenshot of the scoreboard. Would make it easier to believe you.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users