372 replies to this topic

#261 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 02 July 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

If you're going to derp anyways, the "solo queue" is perfect for that. It really is.

I've never seen people willing to do stuff for once, instead of "screw you, hell no".

The difference in quality is night and day.

Depends how you pugboss. I do alright with it. Admittedly I've spent a year working on that skill. It's harder than poptarting, to be honest. Atlas or Jenner with NARC work well for it.

A NARC Jenner is actually a good choice - most pug player will chase little red triangles. You give them one that doesn't go away and they'll follow it and shoot at it.

It's almost like reverse herding. It works rather well.

#262 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 02 July 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

Depends how you pugboss. I do alright with it. Admittedly I've spent a year working on that skill. It's harder than poptarting, to be honest. Atlas or Jenner with NARC work well for it.

Herding sheep players is harder than you think. Poptarting is actually "easier" by comparison.

A NARC Jenner is actually a good choice - most pug player will chase little red triangles. You give them one that doesn't go away and they'll follow it and shoot at it.

It's almost like reverse herding. It works rather well.

That sounds terrible, and you should feel terrible. :unsure:

It's actually "OK" to run Lights in the solo queue... if you know how to milk the rewards. It's actually a sad place to be outside of trying to learn how to be a PUG Commander.

#263 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 02 July 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

Herding sheep players is harder than you think. Poptarting is actually "easier" by comparison.

That sounds terrible, and you should feel terrible. :unsure:

It's actually "OK" to run Lights in the solo queue... if you know how to milk the rewards. It's actually a sad place to be outside of trying to learn how to be a PUG Commander.

You have to know how to put an idea before a potentially hostile group. People also dislike change, however they also dislike repeating bad experiences.

So you start with 'Every else tired of running up hamburger hill?'

You get a 'No, hill is best location' then you stay quiet and try to help them succeed.

You get 'Yes. Something else is good' you throw out a more viable tactic.

About 1 in 3 is good. Worse at peak times, most premades don't even respond. Most of them, also, make poor tactical choices. Sometimes you can just write them off or use them as a distraction.

#264 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

View PostmaXe72, on 02 July 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

The ones complaining now about their group getting dropped against 4+ groups
are the ones that stomped the solo players yesterday with a smile in the face.

The current MM system simply approximate the game experience for solo and group players.
Because of the relatively small player base PGI has to compromise and we have to deal with or stop playing.

Your choice.

Here are some fun facts a solo only player who feels premades stomp pugs with impunity with puggies being the only victums of an evil premade conspiracy would not know.

Very frequently when I dropped in a 4 man group I saw an obvious enemy 4 man group.Rarely did I find our 4 man group unopposed by an enemy premade of at least 2-3 players.

Go ahead ask around there will be plenty of grouping players to confirm this.

Now here is the really really funny part (at least to me) Puggies bitching and blaming premades for their losses are aparently so self absorbed and myopic they are blissfully unaware of one well understood fact in the 4 man premade community.

The team with the dumber puggies loses! That's right folks the main contributing factor for landslide victories is a team with more window licking morons will perform poorly.

This means that in truth the cause of the loses the puggies complain about and blame premades for are the cause of puggies themselves.

Go ahead ask some 4 man group players.Ask how often their 4 man are the first casualties.

Ask those premades how often their premade are the last four fighting a losing battle because 6 windowlickers stomped off to die early in the match.

Ask how often it is when a landslide loss occurs that the premade lance's scores and kills are 75% of the team's totals.

The painful truth is nearly every loss experienced by a team can be traced to the performance of that team (and frequently and specificly that team's pug players performances) and not the fault of 1/3 of the other team that won.

What you do not know is players who group have been grinning and bearing it and dealing with inept pugs since the seperation of the queues began.We understand that 8 premade players vs 8 solos was not any fun so we deal with it.Now there is a potential for the forced exile of grouping players to meta humping tryhard land of group only queues will alienate more players.After all who do you think will be the back bone of community warfare? will it be solos and casuals or grouping players who found units?

And,by the way the complaint isn't one group being dropped against 4+ groups it's the 4+ groups being dropped against a single 12 man (or 10+2).

12 players on one VOIP vs 4 on one 4 more on another 2 on another 2 others on their own voip with no more than 4 players able to talk to eachother without "puggin" it.This is the very same reason that 4 grouped players are better than 4 solo players.The team with the more refined communications has an advantage.And that advantage is a random effect of the match maker software and not a mater of player skill.

#265 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

View PostHaxburch, on 02 July 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

I ongly drop solo and i believe 2men teams should not get in premade 12vs 12 que . Evrybody has sometimes a friend to drop together and 2 men have nearly zero impact.

But 4 men teams and bigger have not rigth at all to be in the solo que. You want comunication and super teamplay and blabla drama queen awsome gameplay skill. You get it play with your friends in 12vs12 , i dont care.

Problem is that if 2-man don't enter group queue there is no way to let a 10-man play. They are also an important piece in the puzzle to even up the weight classes. The line has to be drawn somewhere and I think by letting 2/3/4 man into the so called "solo queue" PGI has been very generous to the smaller premades.

#266 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 02 July 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

You have to know how to put an idea before a potentially hostile group. People also dislike change, however they also dislike repeating bad experiences.

So you start with 'Every else tired of running up hamburger hill?'

You get a 'No, hill is best location' then you stay quiet and try to help them succeed.

You get 'Yes. Something else is good' you throw out a more viable tactic.

About 1 in 3 is good. Worse at peak times, most premades don't even respond. Most of them, also, make poor tactical choices. Sometimes you can just write them off or use them as a distraction.

I've kinda worked on the communication side. Sometimes it is better to present the idea as a life or death choice (it isn't, but if it's between winning or losing, people will react a certain way).

Then again, you actually HAVE to pay attention to where the PUGs are going... and decide from there. Sometimes it works out even if the plan was far more stupid than the PUG blob would realize.

Go for the flow, or scare them to death. Your choice.

More often than not... it works.

Although... there was this one solo match where some guy was making really bad suggestions and got a teammate killed. Fortunately, I gave the teammates the right idea (I think) and it worked out.

Too bad I died early, but it made it easier to command the PUG mass.

Edited by Deathlike, 03 July 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#267 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

As far as im concerned PGI does ******** things with MWO on matchmaking for pugs and groups.PC MechWarrior2-4 was so much better because you could drop and play 1v1=12v12 with no problems by launching what size group you wanted on to what map you wanted and you could even pick which configuration you wanted to take before dropping.

MWO'S Matchmaker is garbage compared to the older games methods of game play maps and game modes.Wake up PGI learn from the pro's who made true PC MechWarrior games not some random garbage matchmaker from WOT that throws any one or group together in a big 12 Vs 12 FREE FOR ALL.

My god PGI it is not that hard to fix MWO just go buy yourself a copy of MechWarrior4 Mercenaries on E-BAY and copy the dam game and launching system.Then build a new MSN gamming lobby like the one at MWOlobby.com and let players solo and groups drop the way they want.

MWO im sorry to say was built by Canadian developers and its no wonder why the game is so screwed up. Sell it to American or European developers that will fix the game right.

#268 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

View PostPappySmurf, on 03 July 2014 - 12:03 AM, said:

As far as im concerned PGI does ******** things with MWO on matchmaking for pugs and groups.PC MechWarrior2-4 was so much better because you could drop and play 1v1=12v12 with no problems by launching what size group you wanted on to what map you wanted and you could even pick which configuration you wanted to take before dropping.

MWO'S Matchmaker is garbage compared to the older games methods of game play maps and game modes.Wake up PGI learn from the pro's who made true PC MechWarrior games not some random garbage matchmaker from WOT that throws any one or group together in a big 12 Vs 12 FREE FOR ALL.

My god PGI it is not that hard to fix MWO just go buy yourself a copy of MechWarrior4 Mercenaries on E-BAY and copy the dam game and launching system.Then build a new MSN gamming lobby like the one at MWOlobby.com and let players solo and groups drop the way they want.

MWO im sorry to say was built by Canadian developers and its no wonder why the game is so screwed up. Sell it to American or European developers that will fix the game right.

No problem. Everyone can just pay for the game, then it's not F2P obviously.

Oh, also you'll need to have players able to sponsor games to run the matches, no 'official servers', as they cost money to support. The bandwidth and hardware requirements are orders of magnitude greater than MW4.

Apples to oranges. I get that you don't understand how it all works, but having an opinion isn't the same as knowing what you're talking about.

#269 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 03 July 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

No problem. Everyone can just pay for the game, then it's not F2P obviously.

Oh, also you'll need to have players able to sponsor games to run the matches, no 'official servers', as they cost money to support. The bandwidth and hardware requirements are orders of magnitude greater than MW4.

Apples to oranges. I get that you don't understand how it all works, but having an opinion isn't the same as knowing what you're talking about.

PC MechWarrior4 Mercinaries is still a better game than MWO even with old net code and old graphichs and sound.And yes i know how MWO was built and how its coding works go download a copy of cryengine sdk decompile MWO and see for yourself.

P.S and yes a new PC MechWarrior game could have supported itself just fine without being FREE2PLAY or FREE2PAY.

The apple was all the PC Mechwarrior games MWO might be a bannana but its not even close to being a orange.I will admit the staff at MWO have made great mech designs and maps but the rest of the game just plain sucks.GO load up a copy of plain old MechWarrior4 Mercinaries and play the campaings then get online at gameranger play a few games with friends and you will so understand why MWO sucks so bad.When you can play a 10 year old game and have more fun than a shinny new one something is wrong with the picture homie.

Posted Image

Edited by PappySmurf, 03 July 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#270 I R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

Great job Devs! I love this new 10 man drops. This is Awsome! :unsure: I am loving it

#271 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

View PostPappySmurf, on 03 July 2014 - 12:25 AM, said:

PC MechWarrior4 Mercinaries is still a better game than MWO even with old net code and old graphichs and sound.And yes i know how MWO was built and how its coding works go download a copy of cryengine sdk decompile MWO and see for yourself.

P.S and yes a new PC MechWarrior game could have supported itself just fine without being FREE2PLAY or FREE2PAY.

The apple was all the PC Mechwarrior games MWO might be a bannana but its not even close to being a orange.I will admit the staff at MWO have made great mech designs and maps but the rest of the game just plain sucks.GO load up a copy of plain old MechWarrior4 Mercinaries and play the campaings then get online at gameranger play a few games with friends and you will so understand why MWO sucks so bad.When you can play a 10 year old game and have more fun than a shinny new one something is wrong with the picture homie.

I have MW4 on my desktop right now, and all the expansions. Played it recently. I prefer single player to MP; I find singleplayer more challenging.

Apples to oranges. If you hate it, seriously - why are you here?

#272 Zerberoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 275 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:40 AM

I love beeing able to drop with all my Friends again even with odd number of players and stuff... we aint the best gamers and also getting roflstomped like we roflstomp the others sometimes, but i prefer to loose together with my Buddys then to split up anymore.

#273 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 03 July 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

I have MW4 on my desktop right now, and all the expansions. Played it recently. I prefer single player to MP; I find singleplayer more challenging.

Apples to oranges. If you hate it, seriously - why are you here?

Becouse like many Old Guard we still have hope Russ/Brian/IGP will make MWO back into a more MechWarrior type game not some crappy WOT clone.

#274 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

View PostPappySmurf, on 03 July 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

Becouse like many Old Guard we still have hope Russ/Brian/IGP will make MWO back into a more MechWarrior type game not some crappy WOT clone.

It's a F2P game. It is not, never has been and never will be in any way, shape or form like MW4. Skyrim is more like MW4. I'm just.... I'm at a loss here.

I have my complaints about MW:O. Several of them. One of those complaints however is NOT that they didn't make a completely different concept of a game. That's not a complaint, that would be a completely misunderstanding on my part about what what game I'm playing.

Time spent involved in a game doesn't lend your opinion any more legitimacy. I played the game tabletop before CityTech came out. That doesn't change the value of my opinion of the game.

The game is the game, as it is, right now. If you like it, play it. If you really enjoy it, spend money on it. Getting all wrought up because it's not a different game is not very productive.

#275 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

The same arguments against 2-4 man groups in the group-queue are also valid arguments against 2-4 man groups in the solo queue. Though in the end one thing stays: The matchmaker is unable to provide a balanced experience for everyone everytime.

Thats just your personal opinion. I for myself will never ever touch this crapload abomination of a Mechwarrior game called Mechwarrior 4 again.

#276 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:21 AM

Maybe its the hour but I've been having the weirdest pug matchups tonight. Its been like clubbing baby seals in terms of difficulty. Is it my understanding that groups are being paired with groups and single players are playing against each other for the most part? I have learned to disregard kdr and win ratio and pay attention to the players that I'm playing against. Quite frankly, I've been disappointed with my unfamiliarity of most of the players tonight. Also I take no joy in playing against players that like to turn thier back to me and stand still and have no positional awareness. This includes my teammates

Edited by Soulscour, 03 July 2014 - 01:23 AM.

#277 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

stop complaining the match maker works fine. mw4 was an abomnation that should never have been made. but there was nothing better at the time. thus fans played it

#278 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:28 AM

View PostRallog, on 02 July 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

GG PGI. I just had a 12 vs a few 2-4s. Nothing bigger. That was so much fun.

To those that are still around from the closed beta... remember the fiasco with the 8 mans (when it was 8v8 matches) that stomped everyone and how we finally got them to realize it was hurting the game and no one wanted to play except those 8 mans?

Well now we have it again. Yippie PGI, GG Close.

Speak for yourself, as a closed beta player, I never wanted them to limit it to 4 mans at all, the issue isn't 12 mans stomping you, it's solo players who can't be arsed to learn how to play the game effectively or make some friends and drop in a group using coms. Adapt or die, which applies to all the crying entirely, be it about clan mechs, or meta builds or whatever else the community feels like whining about on a particular day.

Thing is nothing PGI does ever will please everyone, that's just fact.

#279 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

After the last attempt at the 3 3 3 3 I thought yesterdays mm and patch where fine.No long queues and the games where good.
I see no problem tho all my games where solo drops.
I have no problem with 1 2 or 4 man groups in the solo queue,it's when you get put against a tryhard uber group who where statpadding on pugs I had a problem with.
Seems to be fixed to me.

#280 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:41 AM

So go play MW4, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

63 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 63 guests, 0 anonymous users