Don't Worry About How The Targeting Computer Works

5 replies to this topic

#1 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

In a game based on FASA fizzickz and FASAnomics, I wouldn't worry too much about how targeting computers are implemented in MWO. I have seen a few posts where many players think the implementation makes no sense, especially when it comes to projectile speed increases.

At first, I thought it didn't make sense either, but boardgame rules-wise, it does. By increasing projectile speed of PPCs and ACs, you are increasing your chances of hitting the target, which is exactly what the targeting computer is supposed to do (it's simulated by a -1 to-hit modifier based on a roll of 2 six-sided die, or 2D6).

I know there are a few people who clamored for the way the targeting computer in MechWarrior 3 worked, but personally, I never found that implementation useful at all, especially since I could target any 'mech body part I please without a targeting computer. The same goes for MWO. I was pretty sure that MWO would adopt the same MW3 targeting computer system, but I was surprised to see that the solution the devs went is pretty simple, yet elegant (in my opinion, anyway). After playing with it a couple times, I think it does the job.

But anyways, if you want some peace of mind over this targeting computer, here's what I have to offer. Some of the targeting computer's mass is devoted to complex computing systems which help optimize the focus of laser beams, increasing their range. Another part of the system assists sensors, allowing the MechWarrior to more easily to hit individual body parts, if not the entire target alone. Another chunk of that mass is devoted to capacitors that boost the speed of PPC bolts. The rest of the tonnage goes toward interfacing with special ammunition that either has a stronger propellant charge, or is rocket/gyrojet assisted, increasing the speed of ballistic slug weapons as well.

So that's my targeting computer explanation. Or you can go with "it makes no sense, but it more closely reflects the tabletop rules for the device."

#2 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

Multi-ton computers are inherently strange to begin with as well.

But then again we are talking about giant robots that work better than tanks, with lasers fighting other giant robots piloted by test tube baby super soldiers who can be beaten by the phone company.

Yeah, realism is nice, but this game world doesn't have to be the place for that to be the end all to be all.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 03 July 2014 - 02:28 AM.

#3 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:30 AM

Don't touch my space magic?

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

I'm fine with the direction they went, I just think the small % increases are too wimpy for me to care about actually using that tonnage on loading one of these things. They'll need to bump the benefits a bit more to make it worthwhile.

#5 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 03 July 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

Some of the targeting computer's mass is devoted to complex computing systems which help optimize the focus of laser beams, increasing their range.

Indeed. It took them 500 years to make a laser to stop at exactly 800m and adding a few percent to that isn't very easy.

#6 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:44 AM

who cares about projectile speed? it only messes up my lead. all I want is 7% crit chance for 1 ton.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users